UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DeusExCyber

New

Re: UCI (UC Irvine) c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by DeusExCyber » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:12 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
martorem wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
DeusExCyber wrote: From what was heard, last year, UCI Law did not take anyone from the waitlist even though they were under the target number.
This is not accurate. I met at least one student who got in off of the wait list for the class of 2014.
Same here. May have been the same person, but from what I remember he was ready to attend elsewhere and then mid-summer he was accepted.
Not the same since mine was a girl...
Interesting. I thought during ASW (first day, morning, specifically Dean Chem ~20-minute talk after the Con Class) said that they had a pool of waitlisted people for the admission cycle 2010-2011, but they did not take any of those people in. This was a reply in regards to how UCI Law is maintaining a high caliber class structure (statement was to address the concerns that UCI Law will not accept too many people for profit and diminish their quality of education). As such, I thought it was an odd statement. I could be zoning out at the time, but my notes indicate otherwise. There is the possibility that I misunderstand as well, as he could be implying that they would not let too many people in because the facilities and faculty cannot withstand the increase students without sacrificing quality.

In whatever case, it seems that my original statement is not the case in light to facts presented by both Lawgeekgrl and Martorem, so I will edit my post to reflect this. I do apologize for any harm caused by this statement and fully acknowledge that I was mistaken. What I can say is this (from a credible source), the waitlist for UCI Law last year was larger than what they were intending. As such, it is highly likely that they will be changing how they conduct their waitlist process for this year.

I do stress that I am not the end all in regards to info. Just what I heard and what I understand the info to be. Also, it is through work that gold can be extracted from a piece of rock -- aka review of info/statements ;) .

Sidenote Fact (I forgot to mention this and thought I should): Dean Austin told me that they accepted a few transfer students last summer (specifically, one from Chapman Law and one from Whittier Law).

ac85

New

Post by ac85 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Received my waitlist letter recently. You can PM me for my stats if you really care.

I appreciate whatever inside info you guys have been offering. It provides some idea rather than no idea.

But, I also noticed some contradictions about some people being admitted and no people being admitted. I'm an optimist and hope people including myself do get admitted, however do the rest of you guys think maybe you were "sold" or possibly misled about what they've told you at ASW? I mean they definitely would like you to attend their school since they admitted you... Just a thought. Whatever, it really shouldn't matter too much to those who were admitted and told this info about the waitlist anyway.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:15 pm

DeusExCyber wrote:
Interesting. I thought during ASW (first day, morning, specifically Dean Chem ~20-minute talk after the Con Class) said that they had a pool of waitlisted people for the admission cycle 2010-2011, but they did not take any of those people in. This was a reply in regards to how UCI Law is maintaining a high caliber class structure (statement was to address the concerns that UCI Law will not accept too many people for profit and diminish their quality of education). As such, I thought it was an odd statement. I could be zoning out at the time, but my notes indicate otherwise. There is the possibility that I misunderstand as well, as he could be implying that they would not let too many people in because the facilities and faculty cannot withstand the increase students without sacrificing quality.

In whatever case, it seems that my original statement is not the case in light to facts presented by both Lawgeekgrl and Martorem, so I will edit my post to reflect this. I do apologize for any harm caused by this statement and fully acknowledge that I was mistaken. What I can say is this (from a credible source), the waitlist for UCI Law last year was larger than what they were intending. As such, it is highly likely that they will be changing how they conduct their waitlist process for this year.

I do stress that I am not the end all in regards to info. Just what I heard and what I understand the info to be. Also, it is through work that gold can be extracted from a piece of rock -- aka review of info/statements ;) .

Sidenote Fact (I forgot to mention this and thought I should): Dean Austin told me that they accepted a few transfer students last summer (specifically, one from Chapman Law and one from Whittier Law).
i can totally agree here because i was the one who asked the question about declining applicants and caliber of students. the admissions dean said applications at uci were actually up like a ton (over 100% if i recall correctly) then dean c spoke about that thing with not making class size last year because they did not want to lower the medians or something to that affect. to be brutally honest, i would not hold out hope from the waitlist. sorry to anyone that may suck for. :(

edit: i met the girl from chapman at steal head. she was top 5% of her class. but she was really drunk so who know: a) what she said half the time and b)how truthful it was :)

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by lawgeekgrl on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:19 pm

lrslayer wrote:
DeusExCyber wrote:

i can totally agree here because i was the one who asked the question about declining applicants and caliber of students. the admissions dean said applications at uci were actually up like a ton (over 100% if i recall correctly) then dean c spoke about that thing with not making class size last year because they did not want to lower the medians or something to that affect. to be brutally honest, i would not hold out hope from the waitlist. sorry to anyone that may suck for. :(

edit: i met the girl from chapman at steal head. she was top 5% of her class. but she was really drunk so who know: a) what she said half the time and b)how truthful it was :)
Was she from Chapman or Southwestern? Either way, she was totally wasted :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DeusExCyber

New

Post by DeusExCyber » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:13 am

OUTDATED INFO
Last edited by DeusExCyber on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 am

Deleted.
Last edited by lawgeekgrl on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoUBears

New

Post by GoUBears » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:51 am

Indebted wrote:
LSATsanta wrote:I am still waiting too. I applied on 2/27. About a week and a half ago I received an email that was addressed to "class of 2015" - a reminder about the upcoming SIR deadline - and then another email about 15 minutes later saying that the first email was sent in error and that no final decision had been reached regarding my application. Did anyone else get the email by mistake?
Yes, I got that email as well. The law school gods giveth, then taketh away! FWIW, the follow-up email (sent March 28) said, "I anticipate that you will receive official notification within the next two weeks." Tomorrow will be two weeks.

All things considered, I'm not surprised I haven't heard back yet and don't expect to get in. I applied on Feb 29 with a 3.3/180.
Oh my, that is awful! I hope you're accepted and that wasn't just a tease. I'm WL'd and hoping for a miracle :D

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 am

sorry if this has been asked before (it likely has), but has the 2012-2013 tuition reassessment been released yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:sorry if this has been asked before (it likely has), but has the 2012-2013 tuition reassessment been released yet?
Not until July. Davis released their estimate which is 50k a year for CA residents. My guess is UCI will be around that number, probably less as Davis was a little more expensive this year.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:sorry if this has been asked before (it likely has), but has the 2012-2013 tuition reassessment been released yet?
Not until July. Davis released their estimate which is 50k a year for CA residents. My guess is UCI will be around that number, probably less as Davis was a little more expensive this year.
UCI is estimating $47,000

tlsalltheway

New

Post by tlsalltheway » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:49 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
DeusExCyber wrote:What have I wrought!!! I didn't mean to open Pandora's box with the waitlist stuff!!!
You ruined everything!!! Just kidding. It's good to bring up all the information we got. This way we can clear up stuff. Or get a bit more confused :)
DeusExCyber wrote: 2. For UCI Law to succeed, UCI Law needs YOU to succeed!!! They will try everything in their power to make you successful. At other top tier law schools, the law school does not need you to succeed to stay top tier... (I have more to this but not enough time to type it all)
^ THIS! If you ever needed to know why UCI was my number one all the way...
ME TOO!!! =)

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Last edited by lawgeekgrl on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Waitlisted by mail today. Bummer.

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 pm

vahem wrote:For those of you who attended ASW, have any of you received your travel expense reimbursement yet?
Does anybody know when we are supposed to receive this by?
splitsplat wrote:Waitlisted by mail today. Bummer.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you have great options regardless.

noogooyen

New

Post by noogooyen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Wait listed via mail today as well. Can someone clarify, what WL means exactly? Does it mean we are qualified but they are full or is it possible they will will look at my app again when spots open but I can still be denied?

melanne89

Bronze

Post by melanne89 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:11 pm

noogooyen wrote:Wait listed via mail today as well. Can someone clarify, what WL means exactly? Does it mean we are qualified but they are full or is it possible they will will look at my app again when spots open but I can still be denied?

It means that depending on how many people decide to attend, they may (or may not) look to the waitlist and decide to add a few if they they have spots still available. If they still have spots and want to accept from the waitlist, then they will probably review all of the waitlisters and deny/ accept based on what specific stats they want to add to the new class and how many spots they want to fill.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Anyone know what kind of job placement UCI has? Aside from good clerkship does it have the ability to place people in moderately well paying jobs ie midlaw?

coralpur

New

Post by coralpur » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:37 am

Pretty sure i am sending my intent to register tomorrow. Is this binding? I am a bit worried because i am 85% sold on UCI, but still waiting to hear from Pepperdine and San Diego. If their scholarships offers are way better, i might consider. Right now in at Loyola and Santa Clara with scholly. Any help I can get from TLSers will be much appreciated!

UCD undergrad

New

Post by UCD undergrad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 am

coralpur wrote:Pretty sure i am sending my intent to register tomorrow. Is this binding? I am a bit worried because i am 85% sold on UCI, but still waiting to hear from Pepperdine and San Diego. If their scholarships offers are way better, i might consider. Right now in at Loyola and Santa Clara with scholly. Any help I can get from TLSers will be much appreciated!
It's nonbinding, really just for their planning purposes. I submitted my SIR the other day, but am still thinking about some other places. One thing though: in the summer schools will be able to see where you've deposited, so they could force a decision at that point. I think it's like June-Julyish but someone else might know better.

LSATsanta

New

Post by LSATsanta » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:06 am

UCD undergrad wrote:
coralpur wrote:Pretty sure i am sending my intent to register tomorrow. Is this binding? I am a bit worried because i am 85% sold on UCI, but still waiting to hear from Pepperdine and San Diego. If their scholarships offers are way better, i might consider. Right now in at Loyola and Santa Clara with scholly. Any help I can get from TLSers will be much appreciated!
It's nonbinding, really just for their planning purposes. I submitted my SIR the other day, but am still thinking about some other places. One thing though: in the summer schools will be able to see where you've deposited, so they could force a decision at that point. I think it's like June-Julyish but someone else might know better.

While putting a seat deposit down may not be "binding," at least some schools require you to withdraw from all current and pending offers at other schools (this does not include schools you are waitlisted at - you can remain on the waitlist of schools). One school told me that if they found out that I did not cancel my other offers (I don't know exactly how they would but I do know that they can verify scholarship money when you try to negotiate, so they have some power) then I would lose my scholarship money. I think the seat deposit is intended to be at least somewhat binding if not binding.
Last edited by LSATsanta on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:29 am

First, they cannot force you to withdraw from schools you have not heard ANY decision from (schools where you have been accepted/waitlisted are a different story).
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx

Second, May 15 is when the schools share the info regarding multiple deposits.
http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

LSATsanta

New

Post by LSATsanta » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:41 pm

According to LSAC (http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... oodadm.pdf),

"Except under binding early decision plans or for academic
terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school
should require an enrollment commitment of any kind to an
offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1." -LSAC

I think it is fair game after April 1st for a school to make certain requirements (binding?) related to your application status at other schools. I know for a fact University of Utah does. They wanted a decision by April 2, 2012 from me. I lost my scholarship because I wasn't ready to make that decision. I hadn't heard back from a few schools, UCI included, and they wanted me to cancel all existing and pending offers and make a list of the schools that I was waitlisted at to send in with my deposit.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:00 pm

LSATsanta wrote:According to LSAC (http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... oodadm.pdf),

I think it is fair game after April 1st for a school to make certain requirements (binding?) related to your application status at other schools. I know for a fact University of Utah does. They wanted a decision by April 2, 2012 from me. I lost my scholarship because I wasn't ready to make that decision. I hadn't heard back from a few schools, UCI included, and they wanted me to cancel all existing and pending offers and make a list of the schools that I was waitlisted at and give it to them.
You quit reading before it got to the good part.
After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made to another school.
The key word is new here, like I said they cannot force you to withdraw your application from any school where you have not heard ANY type of decision yet. They can ask you to withdraw from schools where you have been accepted.

LSATsanta

New

Post by LSATsanta » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

splitsplat wrote:
LSATsanta wrote:According to LSAC (http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... oodadm.pdf),

I think it is fair game after April 1st for a school to make certain requirements (binding?) related to your application status at other schools. I know for a fact University of Utah does. They wanted a decision by April 2, 2012 from me. I lost my scholarship because I wasn't ready to make that decision. I hadn't heard back from a few schools, UCI included, and they wanted me to cancel all existing and pending offers and make a list of the schools that I was waitlisted at and give it to them.
You quit reading before it got to the good part.
After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made to another school.
The key word is new here, like I said they cannot force you to withdraw your application from any school where you have not heard ANY type of decision yet. They can ask you to withdraw from schools where you have been accepted.

I did read that far, I just took that to mean that since law schools shouldn't seek commitments from students before April 1, students should be free to accept any offer at that point in time (April 1st) even if they have accepted offers elsewhere before then (those acceptances are not commitments before April 1, because law schools "can't" require a commitment before then).

I agree, the "new" does make it sound like it refers to pending, but could mean new since you accepted an offer before April 1st but are not committed at that point. Also, when I think pending I think future more than new- just me maybe.

Nevertheless, U of Utah requires students to cancel current and pending offers at all other schools. So, whether or not they should, they do.

You can call them and see, 801-581-6833 (ask for Reyes Aguilar).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”