USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:42 am

Smumps wrote:
I don't have fantastic numbers by any stretch of the imagination, but enough that I applied to USC as one of my more "sure things." Applied in November, complete early December. Radio silence.

What everyone has posted makes sense, but I really don't understand their process. Why go at a snails pace? Until I get accepted to a school, I don't focus on it too much. With other schools that have accepted me, I've planned out attending ASW, emailed some current/former students, gotten a decent idea of scholarship/COL, etc. It seems like it's only to USC's detriment to have people wait so long. Maybe they want people to withdraw once they know they wouldn't go no matter what. I don't know.

It makes sense if you're YHS, but otherwise? Maybe it goes a long way to explaining their 20% yield vs. UCLA's 30% (pure conjecture).


I was thinking about this exact thing earlier when I was looking at USC's graph on LSN. It's no secret that the earlier you get accepted to a school, the more time you have to think about it, and the more likely you are to subconsciously commit to it. I see it happening to myself even though I know I have several schools I've yet to hear from. Considering that the applicants that USC has already admitted pretty much all have highly competitive numbers that should get them accepted to equally competitive as well as more competitive schools, it does seem a little destructive to have only accepted them this late in the game. (That's comparatively, of course, as there is still plenty of time left in this cycle.) Hence, the yield issue.

However, if the extra time is taken to give softs, or whatever, more consideration, maybe it is a good thing. I don't love it when schools make their decisions solely based on numbers, so taking some extra time may be more beneficial for the class at large.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby T00L » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:40 am

This discussion is pretty credited, in my opinion.

I would also add that the retention rate suffers because people apply and get in before they know:

-how expensive it is to live in the area
-what off-campus looks like (and the law library)
-that a USC degree is not nearly as portable as they thought based on its rank
-westwood is a nice place to live
-the don't negotiate scholarships AT ALL (at least, their letters say "non-negotiable" on them)

vto35
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vto35 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 pm

2nd complete yesterday 1/30 (1st was 1/23 and complete was 11/8)

User avatar
stacia137
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 am

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby stacia137 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:44 pm

Decision finalized today. Scared to death. I would loooooove to go to usc....

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:45 pm

stacia137 wrote:Decision finalized today. Scared to death. I would loooooove to go to usc....


Good luck!

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Smumps » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:55 pm

stacia137 wrote:Decision finalized today. Scared to death. I would loooooove to go to usc....


Good luck, hoping the best for you.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:02 pm

stacia137 wrote:Decision finalized today. Scared to death. I would loooooove to go to usc....


I think this means you're in from what I understand, especially if you went 1st review --> 2nd review

dallas12
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dallas12 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Decision Finalized . . . how will I know if I'm in or out. Would the fees have changed.

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:05 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
stacia137 wrote:Decision finalized today. Scared to death. I would loooooove to go to usc....


I think this means you're in from what I understand, especially if you went 1st review --> 2nd review


So if you go from 1st review straight to decision finalized you're probably dinged?
eyes status checker nervously Suddenly I'm okay with just being under 1st review...

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
stacia137 wrote:Decision finalized today. Scared to death. I would loooooove to go to usc....


I think this means you're in from what I understand, especially if you went 1st review --> 2nd review


So if you go from 1st review straight to decision finalized you're probably dinged?
eyes status checker nervously Suddenly I'm okay with just being under 1st review...


Now that I don't know. I was accepted and I went 1st review --> 2nd review --> Final Review. There is a possibility that maybe you're an AUTO-ADMIT if you went from 1st to decision finalized?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:43 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
Green Glass Windows wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
stacia137 wrote:Decision finalized today. Scared to death. I would loooooove to go to usc....


I think this means you're in from what I understand, especially if you went 1st review --> 2nd review


So if you go from 1st review straight to decision finalized you're probably dinged?
eyes status checker nervously Suddenly I'm okay with just being under 1st review...


Now that I don't know. I was accepted and I went 1st review --> 2nd review --> Final Review. There is a possibility that maybe you're an AUTO-ADMIT if you went from 1st to decision finalized?


I think that is a reasonable assumption

onefatbovine
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby onefatbovine » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Decision finalized today as well. I don't have the strongest numbers, so I'm expecting to get dinged. Would love to be surprised though!! :D

I know I've seen this graph before, but I can't find it now. Does anyone know the link to the USC admission cycle graph? I'm referring to the one that shows the number of admissions/rejections/waitlists by date.

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Smumps » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:47 pm

onefatbovine wrote:Decision finalized today as well. I don't have the strongest numbers, so I'm expecting to get dinged. Would love to be surprised though!! :D

I know I've seen this graph before, but I can't find it now. Does anyone know the link to the USC admission cycle graph? I'm referring to the one that shows the number of admissions/rejections/waitlists by date.


2009-2010 --> http://www.top-law-schools.com/images/d ... 10/USC.jpg

onefatbovine
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby onefatbovine » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Smumps wrote:
onefatbovine wrote:Decision finalized today as well. I don't have the strongest numbers, so I'm expecting to get dinged. Would love to be surprised though!! :D

I know I've seen this graph before, but I can't find it now. Does anyone know the link to the USC admission cycle graph? I'm referring to the one that shows the number of admissions/rejections/waitlists by date.


2009-2010 --> http://www.top-law-schools.com/images/d ... 10/USC.jpg



Thanks!

dallas12
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dallas12 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Bovine how many committee reads did you have and what dates

tadlbb
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tadlbb » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Anyone able to beat 11/3 with no movement at all? Just want to know if there are others in my boat. 90 days is so much time, I've got no idea what they're doing.

onefatbovine
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby onefatbovine » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 pm

dallas12 wrote:Bovine how many committee reads did you have and what dates


11/28 Complete
12/6 Committee 1st Read
1/3 Committee 2nd Read
1/26 Final Review
1/31 Decision Finalized

dallas12
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dallas12 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Very close to mine

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lrslayer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:33 pm

tadlbb wrote:Anyone able to beat 11/3 with no movement at all? Just want to know if there are others in my boat. 90 days is so much time, I've got no idea what they're doing.

10/26

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby No13baby » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:28 pm

vto35 wrote:2nd complete yesterday 1/30 (1st was 1/23 and complete was 11/8)

Same. I've stopped checking USC often because they're so slow.

Beachbum89
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 am

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Beachbum89 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:36 pm

lrslayer wrote:
tadlbb wrote:Anyone able to beat 11/3 with no movement at all? Just want to know if there are others in my boat. 90 days is so much time, I've got no idea what they're doing.

10/26


10/27 checking in here as well. This wait is so frustrating, especially since USC is my top choice.

User avatar
Green Glass Windows
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Green Glass Windows » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm still in shock that I'm in 1st read now. I swear to god I was convinced I'd go straight from complete to ding at the rate they are going.

lawismylife007
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lawismylife007 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 pm

I'm decision finalized today as well. I feel like I would have got an acceptance email if I got in because that is what happen with the first batch of auto admits. Still hoping for the best though.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cactuarX3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm

lawismylife007 wrote:I'm decision finalized today as well. I feel like I would have got an acceptance email if I got in because that is what happen with the first batch of auto admits. Still hoping for the best though.


False. I went to decision finalized for a full 24 hours before I received an admit email. But then again, maybe i'm not auto-admit....

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ucbkenn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 am

FINALLY committee first read yesterday. I've been complete since October




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cfitz, hellohalo, Houzy, Rio123, Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests