USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Manimal

Re: USC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Manimal » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:02 pm

soozpooz wrote:my application went complete 1/23 -- no movement since then...
is this a bad sign?
are they not getting back to people until after their first enrollment deposit is due on may 1st?

Same situation here. I went complete 1/24 have have remained there since with no updates. I'm thinking USC isn't totally excited about our applications, but we have high enough scores to not be auto rejections. What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking? I am 3.18 and 167. Really, the best I was hoping for is to squeeze in off the waitlist. At this point I'd just like a decision though.

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Been "In Final Review" since 3/19. Anyone who has recently been accepted get any scholly offers? Or has that well dried up?

pilarf

Postby pilarf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:05 pm

I got the wait list email earlier this week and I had submitted my app a little before Christmas. The email made it sound like there wasn't a whole lot of scholarship money available if any. I've already withdrawn my name because I've decided on another school but I do know someone who is going to USC right now and he said there was a fair amount of people who got in off the wait list. Hopefully that helps some people's decision.

apps1212

Postby apps1212 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:16 pm

What did everyone think of admit day for those who could attend?

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:23 am

first review as of 4/17..

LAFALCON

Postby LAFALCON » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 am

Impressions of both Diversity Reception and Law Day
Diversity Reception
If USC is one of the most diverse law schools in the nation I fear for the poor URMs all over the country. The leader of their Chicano group came up and asked me if I was Latino and acted like he'd found gold. (surprising considering USC's location) When I asked about minority representation he said "Look around"
Impressions of the School
I was impressed however with the 1L's. First of all they sent out a general invite so essentially anyone who wanted free beer during finals studying showed up. There was limited hard sell and honesty about some positives, (Alumni network is real, people will generally share good outlines and notes and forming study groups is relatively painless) and some negatives (a push toward BigLaw if you want to work outside Southern California, that in a tough economy even a great alumni network struggles, and that 1L is daunting no matter how nice your classmates are.
Law Day (Please be advised Wall of Text incoming, please PM im happy to provide more info.
Morning Reception was pretty standard congrats and pick USC cause we forcus on interdicplinary thinking, a great film school for entertainment law and Great Weather
Teach Panel: Again pretty standard they talked about their research and again stressed the joy of thinking about law in an interdisplinary way.
The first panel I went to was On the Biz Law and Entertainment law Certificates
Think of it like declaring a major, you can do both, and the Biz law one gives u access to MBA classes, seemed interesting.
Secon Panel was about clinical programs. If anything sold me on USC it was this they let you first chair someone's parole hearing
or imigration case or in the case of IP prepare a presentation for a regulatory board on Fair Use as it relates to copying DVDs
Then we did a mock class with prof Ackerman. He was awesome if only all profs were as good as he is then 1L might be remembered much more fondly.
Third Panel was Jornals and Honors Programs
Basically everyone here knows get good 1L grades and the world becomes your oyster. I saw a lot of cross registering between those in leadership on an honors society who also did clinical programs and were also leaders in student orgs
Then there was a student orgs fair. We have all been to these and nothing has changed.
Then there was a final reception which I skipped because the key for me was really to get as many current student opinions as possible and I figured id just get a pitch and I was sort of all FUNed out.
Final Thoughts
Before I went I was apprehensive because of the whole University of Spoiled Children thing, but it doesnt appear to hold through law school and I was very impressed. I could easily see that students appeared more friendly then at other schools even when they didnt realize I was a prospective student. (Im a little older and dont scream prospective 1L). So, essentially, if u wanna work in SoCal, don't like hyper competitive and perfer the resources of a small private vs the veriety of a larger school USC is perhaps a good choice. One warning I got repeatendly is that programs are limited in scope because of the small class and therfore smaller faculty. So research it but it did seem like they werent gonna start new programs simply due to lack of faculty interest to head a project so if USC doesnt already have a program your interested in that may be a red flag.

photobooth

Postby photobooth » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:45 pm

LAFALCON wrote:Impressions of both Diversity Reception and Law Day
Diversity Reception
If USC is one of the most diverse law schools in the nation I fear for the poor URMs all over the country. The leader of their Chicano group came up and asked me if I was Latino and acted like he'd found gold. (surprising considering USC's location) When I asked about minority representation he said "Look around"
Impressions of the School
I was impressed however with the 1L's. First of all they sent out a general invite so essentially anyone who wanted free beer during finals studying showed up. There was limited hard sell and honesty about some positives, (Alumni network is real, people will generally share good outlines and notes and forming study groups is relatively painless) and some negatives (a push toward BigLaw if you want to work outside Southern California, that in a tough economy even a great alumni network struggles, and that 1L is daunting no matter how nice your classmates are.
Law Day (Please be advised Wall of Text incoming, please PM im happy to provide more info.
Morning Reception was pretty standard congrats and pick USC cause we forcus on interdicplinary thinking, a great film school for entertainment law and Great Weather
Teach Panel: Again pretty standard they talked about their research and again stressed the joy of thinking about law in an interdisplinary way.
The first panel I went to was On the Biz Law and Entertainment law Certificates
Think of it like declaring a major, you can do both, and the Biz law one gives u access to MBA classes, seemed interesting.
Secon Panel was about clinical programs. If anything sold me on USC it was this they let you first chair someone's parole hearing
or imigration case or in the case of IP prepare a presentation for a regulatory board on Fair Use as it relates to copying DVDs
Then we did a mock class with prof Ackerman. He was awesome if only all profs were as good as he is then 1L might be remembered much more fondly.
Third Panel was Jornals and Honors Programs
Basically everyone here knows get good 1L grades and the world becomes your oyster. I saw a lot of cross registering between those in leadership on an honors society who also did clinical programs and were also leaders in student orgs
Then there was a student orgs fair. We have all been to these and nothing has changed.
Then there was a final reception which I skipped because the key for me was really to get as many current student opinions as possible and I figured id just get a pitch and I was sort of all FUNed out.
Final Thoughts
Before I went I was apprehensive because of the whole University of Spoiled Children thing, but it doesnt appear to hold through law school and I was very impressed. I could easily see that students appeared more friendly then at other schools even when they didnt realize I was a prospective student. (Im a little older and dont scream prospective 1L). So, essentially, if u wanna work in SoCal, don't like hyper competitive and perfer the resources of a small private vs the veriety of a larger school USC is perhaps a good choice. One warning I got repeatendly is that programs are limited in scope because of the small class and therfore smaller faculty. So research it but it did seem like they werent gonna start new programs simply due to lack of faculty interest to head a project so if USC doesnt already have a program your interested in that may be a red flag.

THANK YOU!!!! This was so helpful!!! :D

lawgirl821

Postby lawgirl821 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 pm

USC y u no take me off final review?!

I thought this phase was only supposed to last a day or so :?

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Now in final review. Scary.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:58 pm

westcoast wrote:Now in final review. Scary.

Wow, I went to decision rendered in a matter of hours. I hope the news is good.

onedavetoomany

Postby onedavetoomany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Went from 1st Committee Review to Final Review today. Now Decision Rendered. Standing by for ding....

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I too have gone "Decision Finalized" (having jumped straight from "Complete" to "Final Review" on Thursday). StanDING by.

Sooo, decisions by post or email?
Last edited by BVest on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm

BVest wrote:I too have gone "Decision Finalized" (having jumped straight from "Complete" to "Final Review" on Thursday).

Sooo, decisions by post or email?

Postal Mail only...

They will sometimes send an "Accepted Students Portal" email before you receive your initial package, but I hypothesize that it depends on how quickly the IT department generate a student ID for you and sends out the email.

blurose

Postby blurose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:12 pm

I was in "committee 1st review" for a week. Today it's been changed to "decision finalized." I live in the area so checking the mailbox in the next couple days is going to be fun...

Oftranch

Postby Oftranch » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:13 pm

anyone else on committee 1st read 4/6?

blurose

Postby blurose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:04 pm

So, for the people who have had their decision finalized, has anyone received any emails from the admissions office? My understanding was that if you're waitlisted it shows up on the site right away, so getting a "decision finalized" must mean either an acceptance or a rejection, right? I know it's too early for people to get their Student Portal login info since IT has to generate those, so right now that's no help as an indicator. I don't think I can stand the next couple days of waiting for that letter...

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:38 pm

blurose wrote:So, for the people who have had their decision finalized, has anyone received any emails from the admissions office? My understanding was that if you're waitlisted it shows up on the site right away, so getting a "decision finalized" must mean either an acceptance or a rejection, right? I know it's too early for people to get their Student Portal login info since IT has to generate those, so right now that's no help as an indicator. I don't think I can stand the next couple days of waiting for that letter...

I'm with you. It will be a tough week. I haven't received any emails. Is that true that the status checker can update to "waitlisted?" I wish it told you the final decision no matter what it is.

LAFALCON

Postby LAFALCON » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:07 pm

When I was accepted about two weeks ago it was by email (I did get a packet regular mail a few days later). Though this could be because they wanted to let me know in time for asw.

blurose

Postby blurose » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:51 pm

westcoast wrote:
blurose wrote:So, for the people who have had their decision finalized, has anyone received any emails from the admissions office? My understanding was that if you're waitlisted it shows up on the site right away, so getting a "decision finalized" must mean either an acceptance or a rejection, right? I know it's too early for people to get their Student Portal login info since IT has to generate those, so right now that's no help as an indicator. I don't think I can stand the next couple days of waiting for that letter...

I'm with you. It will be a tough week. I haven't received any emails. Is that true that the status checker can update to "waitlisted?" I wish it told you the final decision no matter what it is.

Well, according to this http://lawweb.usc.edu/how/jd/onlineappl ... status.cfm "waitlist" is one of the responses you can get on the status checker. So I assumed "decision finalized" meant either rejection or acceptance. This is just conjecture though, if anyone else has been waitlisted please confirm.

Buffer1212

Postby Buffer1212 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:54 pm

If you are waitlisted your status checker will say "waitlisted" (I am waitlisted)

So, if it says "decision rendered" you are either accepted or rejected.

good luck!

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Been on my third committee 2nd review since late Feb. Applied in October. I'm going to be real sad if they waited this long just to reject me.

lawyerinwaiting

Postby lawyerinwaiting » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

i also went into decision finalized today after going from 1st Committee read to final review in 2 days then staying in final review for a whole week....with my numbers I'd expedct a ding, but God may have different plans....got a huge surprise from IU-Bloomington and a pretty nice scholly offer so I'm just about sure I'll be a hoosier anyway, but if i get in here.....i just may reconsider.

callmemaybe

Postby callmemaybe » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:41 pm

In via email today!

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:13 am

callmemaybe wrote:In via email today!

Congrats! :D

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 am

So you got an official decision email saying you're in or just the info for admitted student portal? Anyone get in who didn't get an email?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”