University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby josh43299 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 pm

steepair wrote:anyone else check out the new rankings??? UR is up to 58! so impressive! they've come along way in the last two years. it's really given me something to think about.

however, their medians for starting salaries for both general and public interest are giving me pause. for such a highly ranked school i was hoping for a little higher medians. i suppose their averages may be affected by the fact that such a large proportion of their graduating classes go into clerkships. i guess this is really a sticking point for me right now. looking at the website for many biglaw firms, i've yet to find a single UR grad. not that biglaw is something i am actively pursuing, but having the option may be nice. can anyone speak to where exactly UR grads find employment? midsize firms? government?


What salary medians are you referring to? I am seeing 100k/per year for private sector (which is of course ridiculous anyways).

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 pm

josh43299 wrote:
steepair wrote:anyone else check out the new rankings??? UR is up to 58! so impressive! they've come along way in the last two years. it's really given me something to think about.

however, their medians for starting salaries for both general and public interest are giving me pause. for such a highly ranked school i was hoping for a little higher medians. i suppose their averages may be affected by the fact that such a large proportion of their graduating classes go into clerkships. i guess this is really a sticking point for me right now. looking at the website for many biglaw firms, i've yet to find a single UR grad. not that biglaw is something i am actively pursuing, but having the option may be nice. can anyone speak to where exactly UR grads find employment? midsize firms? government?


What salary medians are you referring to? I am seeing 100k/per year for private sector (which is of course ridiculous anyways).



I'm pretty sure Steepair is referring to the US News rankings that only showed 52.5% employed at graduation, a median private sector salary of $65k, and a median public sector salary of $48,194.

Steepair, if you're looking for Richmond grads with decent sized firms, I'd recommend you look at the firms who have offices in Richmond (McGuire Woods, Hunton & Williams, Williams Mullen, LeClair Ryan, and Troutman Sanders, etc...). Richmond grads are very well represented at all levels (Associates, Counsel, and Partners). I know Richmond also places quite well in state government (which makes sense as Richmond is the capital and most state agencies have their offices there). In my section alone, two of the five attorneys are Richmond grads.

I do know that they also place quite well with clerkships in the area.

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:48 pm

One more impressive thing about Richmond, in the new Law Firm Rankings Richmond is actually tied for 50th.

User avatar
TheFailboat
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TheFailboat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:20 am

I just got my scholarship information via e-mail today. $15k per yer, renewable over 3 years. A little disappointing, since Dean Rahman estimated I'd get $20k when I received my admission call. I'll probably withdraw. Hope somebody else gets this money!

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 am

TheFailboat wrote:I just got my scholarship information via e-mail today. $15k per yer, renewable over 3 years. A little disappointing, since Dean Rahman estimated I'd get $20k when I received my admission call. I'll probably withdraw. Hope somebody else gets this money!

Same situation here.

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:35 am

Yep, same here. $5k less per year in the official offer than discussed on the phone.

User avatar
crysmissmichelle
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:39 am

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby crysmissmichelle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 am

fdiggidy5 wrote:
91920010 wrote:Was any indication given as to whether all of the JM scholars had been selected already, or whether they'd be choosing new candidates if you don't attend?


If someone withdraws, they typically award it to another. They have a set number they usually give away.

User avatar
asmith5
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby asmith5 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:47 am

stephinmd wrote:
TheFailboat wrote:I just got my scholarship information via e-mail today. $15k per yer, renewable over 3 years. A little disappointing, since Dean Rahman estimated I'd get $20k when I received my admission call. I'll probably withdraw. Hope somebody else gets this money!

Same situation here.

Same here as well. I feel a little disappointed.

milljp02
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby milljp02 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 pm

I just got my offer, 10k / year, which with my miserable GPA was actually more than I expected. Being a splitter, scholarship money is a tricky thing to figure out. Regardless, it's more than I would get coming off the wait list at CU Boulder (median LSAT at CU vs. 75% LSAT at UR). I'm sold on being a Spider. Definitely nice to have a decision made!

jaysgirl42671
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Does no email=no scholarship??? :(

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:31 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:Does no email=no scholarship??? :(


Don't have a clue, I didn't even know I would be getting scholarship info via email. If I were you I'd give it until Monday and if I didn't have an email I'd give them a a call to check on it.

kotorin
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:53 am

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kotorin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:22 pm

I was just offered $8,500/year via email... is it possible to negotiate the amount with Richmond when I have no other offers right now?

LawStudent89
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LawStudent89 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:48 pm

kotorin wrote:I was just offered $8,500/year via email... is it possible to negotiate the amount with Richmond when I have no other offers right now?


I would definitely negotiate but it may be difficult with no pull. They won't rescind it though. So I definitely think its worth a shot.

User avatar
ap613
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ap613 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:19 am

I was also disappointed to get 15k after being told to expect 20k on my acceptance call. Seems really strange that they'd do that so I'm guessing they're having some sort of budget problem which isn't really a good sign. I really like Richmond but not at the same price as W&M and W&L.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:06 am

Jsa725 wrote:How is UR contacting yall with acceptances, WL , or dings? Snail mail or mostly email?
I sent in a late app and haven't heard back from them... Guessing no status checker?


You are correct, no status checker. I received my acceptance via phone call followed up wth snail mail.

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:11 am

ap613 wrote:I was also disappointed to get 15k after being told to expect 20k on my acceptance call. Seems really strange that they'd do that so I'm guessing they're having some sort of budget problem which isn't really a good sign. I really like Richmond but not at the same price as W&M and W&L.


Who knows what's going on. I'm hoping that I will have an opportunity to talk to them at the ASD.

Ajones1288
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ajones1288 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:28 am

I called and they said my file was still in review. If you dont get a phone call does that mean you didnt get accepted. But I think on the application I didnt check the box that said would you like to be contacted by an admin? :/

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 am

Ajones1288 wrote:I called and they said my file was still in review. If you dont get a phone call does that mean you didnt get accepted. But I think on the application I didnt check the box that said would you like to be contacted by an admin? :/


I can't believe that they have a "no call, no acceptance" policy. I would imagine if you checked you don't want to be contacted, and you were admitted, they would just send out the acceptance letter and package.

Ajones1288
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ajones1288 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:53 am

ok just making sure lol. everyone on here was saying that they got contacted and the only place I put my number was on my resume and not the application itself. But the lady was very nice and said that they were going to try to have all the letters out by the end of this week

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

I haven't sent my negotiation email yet. It does appear, based on the information given in here, that Richmond's scholarships are down across the board. If some of you got 15k instead of the 20k that was discussed on the phone, I don't know how much hope I have negotiating up from 10k as a splitter (2.7/169).

I'm hopeful that they will NEED some high LSATs to even things out and will maybe throw some more money my way.

milljp02
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby milljp02 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 pm

abbottsbar wrote:I haven't sent my negotiation email yet. It does appear, based on the information given in here, that Richmond's scholarships are down across the board. If some of you got 15k instead of the 20k that was discussed on the phone, I don't know how much hope I have negotiating up from 10k as a splitter (2.7/169).

I'm hopeful that they will NEED some high LSATs to even things out and will maybe throw some more money my way.


In a similar boat but with less of an LSAT (164) and really no other competitive offers (18k at UNH, but why would UR give a hoot about UNH?). Be sure to let us know if you have some success upping your offer and good luck!

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm

I got my scholly amount last week at only 7500....idk but I felt a litte insulted I guess...my numbers are low but I've gotten higher offers from every other school that are ranked much higher than Richmond with one school offering me double

User avatar
Comoncents
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Comoncents » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:58 pm

I love Richmond (Law), but no scholarship stopped me from accepting. That price tag is large!

Good luck guys!

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: University of Richmond c/o 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm

milljp02 wrote:
abbottsbar wrote:I haven't sent my negotiation email yet. It does appear, based on the information given in here, that Richmond's scholarships are down across the board. If some of you got 15k instead of the 20k that was discussed on the phone, I don't know how much hope I have negotiating up from 10k as a splitter (2.7/169).

I'm hopeful that they will NEED some high LSATs to even things out and will maybe throw some more money my way.


In a similar boat but with less of an LSAT (164) and really no other competitive offers (18k at UNH, but why would UR give a hoot about UNH?). Be sure to let us know if you have some success upping your offer and good luck!


Will do. Are you coming to one of the ASDs?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, amberb94, grandpapy360, Jgats, liuwenyu, mmengden, mudiverse, potterotter, tinafeyclone and 19 guests