University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby luxxe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:05 pm

creader wrote:
mxmatt137 wrote:Anybody know more info on employment statistics than what's available on Bama's website? Specifically the primary and secondary locations where people end up working.


From the presentation career services gave at orientation this year, the top five cities were Birmingham, Atlanta, Nashville, Montgomery, Huntsville and Mobile. Supposedly Bham is always number one and the other five fluctuate from year to year.

First year OCIs start tomorrow and the firms that are coming on campus are primarily from B'ham and Montgomery with a couple from Mobile, Huntsville and Tuscaloosa thrown in. There aren't really any from out of state for the 1Ls but that has more to do with the nature of the market (Alabama firms still have 1L summer associate classes whereas most other states do not) than the limitations of the school.


Also, Alabama firms are some of the only in the country that pay 1L SA's :D!

dejeanhc
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby dejeanhc » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Dash41 wrote:Just got my phone call from Claude. She was super nice and I got the 75,000 scholarship. This makes Alabama very attractive because it will only cost 6k a year. If I'm able to get instate residency granted for years 2 and 3, the cost will only got to 3k a year for going to school. Essentially I could only pay about 12k in tuition for 3 years, which would be awesome. Going to make Alabama very attractive.


Congrats! Just got the same. Given the money, Bama became a much more attractive school as of about 2 hours ago lol.

User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby Dash41 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:41 pm

dejeanhc wrote:
Dash41 wrote:Just got my phone call from Claude. She was super nice and I got the 75,000 scholarship. This makes Alabama very attractive because it will only cost 6k a year. If I'm able to get instate residency granted for years 2 and 3, the cost will only got to 3k a year for going to school. Essentially I could only pay about 12k in tuition for 3 years, which would be awesome. Going to make Alabama very attractive.


Congrats! Just got the same. Given the money, Bama became a much more attractive school as of about 2 hours ago lol.


I agree. Were number twins so where else are you considering? Also you go to Hendrix? I have friends who play basketball there.

dejeanhc
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby dejeanhc » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Dash41 wrote:
dejeanhc wrote:
Dash41 wrote:Just got my phone call from Claude. She was super nice and I got the 75,000 scholarship. This makes Alabama very attractive because it will only cost 6k a year. If I'm able to get instate residency granted for years 2 and 3, the cost will only got to 3k a year for going to school. Essentially I could only pay about 12k in tuition for 3 years, which would be awesome. Going to make Alabama very attractive.


Congrats! Just got the same. Given the money, Bama became a much more attractive school as of about 2 hours ago lol.


I agree. Were number twins so where else are you considering? Also you go to Hendrix? I have friends who play basketball there.


Went to Hendrix...graduated in 2007. And I'm applying to 9 schools total, most of them pretty safe bets but I need to minimize debt if I can. My list is at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dejeanhc

User avatar
RareAir
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 1:37 am

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby RareAir » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Dash41 wrote:Just got my phone call from Claude. She was super nice and I got the 75,000 scholarship. This makes Alabama very attractive because it will only cost 6k a year. If I'm able to get instate residency granted for years 2 and 3, the cost will only got to 3k a year for going to school. Essentially I could only pay about 12k in tuition for 3 years, which would be awesome. Going to make Alabama very attractive.



Pretty much. When I got the call and the scholly offer bama went from 4th on my list to 1st as of now. They really blew me away when I visited in the Fall and this offer made them even more attractive.

Bama11Braves
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:41 am

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby Bama11Braves » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Just got accepted with a full tuition scholly. I must admit I didn't want to spend another 3 years here in Tuscaloosa, but that money's gonna be tough to beat. Here's to another couple of BCSNC's!

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby beezy08 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 am

Has anyone negotiated anything from them yet?

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby irish1485 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 am

beezy08 wrote:Has anyone negotiated anything from them yet?


I'll be trying here in the next couple of weeks

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby beezy08 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 am

irish1485 wrote:
beezy08 wrote:Has anyone negotiated anything from them yet?


I'll be trying here in the next couple of weeks


I sent mine and got a response from Claude that she will relay the info to the scholarship committee, but nothing since then. It's been almost 2 weeks so I was hoping someone on here had a time frame.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby irish1485 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 am

beezy08 wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
beezy08 wrote:Has anyone negotiated anything from them yet?


I'll be trying here in the next couple of weeks


I sent mine and got a response from Claude that she will relay the info to the scholarship committee, but nothing since then. It's been almost 2 weeks so I was hoping someone on here had a time frame.


Yea you might want to try looking through last years thread I remember reading that a couple of people had success negotiating with bama

User avatar
alwayslovely
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby alwayslovely » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

It's been a month since I've seen any movement with my Alabama app. Just a status update would satisfy me... :roll:

User avatar
Dash41
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby Dash41 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Alabama gave me 25k/yr, although to be honest, I really can't attend unless I get full tuition due to circumstances. I'm only 6k away from that, but it feels like it would be hard to negotiate that because I don't have an offer like that from a peer school.

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby irish1485 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm

alwayslovely wrote:It's been a month since I've seen any movement with my Alabama app. Just a status update would satisfy me... :roll:


I'm sure you'll get in :)

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby irish1485 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Dash41 wrote:Alabama gave me 25k/yr, although to be honest, I really can't attend unless I get full tuition due to circumstances. I'm only 6k away from that, but it feels like it would be hard to negotiate that because I don't have an offer like that from a peer school.


Yea they're already pretty generous but it can't hurt to try

User avatar
alwayslovely
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby alwayslovely » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:26 pm

irish1485 wrote:
alwayslovely wrote:It's been a month since I've seen any movement with my Alabama app. Just a status update would satisfy me... :roll:


I'm sure you'll get in :)


Thanks! I hope so. Got excited because an unknown number came up on my phone. It was 305 not 205. Bummer. One digit off...

User avatar
irish1485
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby irish1485 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm

alwayslovely wrote:
irish1485 wrote:
alwayslovely wrote:It's been a month since I've seen any movement with my Alabama app. Just a status update would satisfy me... :roll:


I'm sure you'll get in :)


Thanks! I hope so. Got excited because an unknown number came up on my phone. It was 305 not 205. Bummer. One digit off...


Yea they always call from an unknown number but they do give you a number to call back

ThatGuyWithTheFace
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby ThatGuyWithTheFace » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:21 pm

For anyone who has already made the fateful decision and decided to go with Alabama, there is a new C/O 2015 thread. Count me in.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=179068

User avatar
BKCentral
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby BKCentral » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Got a call last Friday from Assistant Director Cotton, convinced me to apply. Sent the rest of my apps in early October so super late submission here. Applied 2/26, updated to in review 2/28. Hoping for a quick turn around!

User avatar
mxmatt137
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby mxmatt137 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Been in review since 1/20/12. Anyone else spend a "long" time in review, or am I a special snowflake?

User avatar
hookem7
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby hookem7 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:02 pm

mxmatt137 wrote:Been in review since 1/20/12. Anyone else spend a "long" time in review, or am I a special snowflake?


I've been UR since then as well. Just ready to hear back, regardless of the decision at this point

Oftranch
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby Oftranch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm

hookem7 wrote:
mxmatt137 wrote:Been in review since 1/20/12. Anyone else spend a "long" time in review, or am I a special snowflake?


I've been UR since then as well. Just ready to hear back, regardless of the decision at this point


been UR since late October...

User avatar
alwayslovely
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby alwayslovely » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Oftranch wrote:
hookem7 wrote:
mxmatt137 wrote:Been in review since 1/20/12. Anyone else spend a "long" time in review, or am I a special snowflake?


I've been UR since then as well. Just ready to hear back, regardless of the decision at this point


+1 Just tell me something. Anything will do.

RaiderBlue17
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:19 pm

+1 Ready to just get a simple yes No or maybe... LORD they are probably packed b/c so many people wanna be football playin lawyers...

ROLL TIDE


I keed I keed

Very good academic school I know this, also LOVE watching em destroy UT Knoxville like it's they're job

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby YankeeFan2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:12 am

So when does the "Final Committee Decision" come? I have been at pending this final decision since January 30......

Just want an answer. :)

adc1222
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: University of Alabama 2011-12 Cycle

Postby adc1222 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:+1 Ready to just get a simple yes No or maybe... LORD they are probably packed b/c so many people wanna be football playin lawyers...

ROLL TIDE


I keed I keed

Very good academic school I know this, also LOVE watching em destroy UT Knoxville like it's they're job



Nah, I just want to be Ed Hochuli. Or just his left bicep would be fine.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Zoe107 and 5 guests