question about submitted/complete applications Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
horrorbusiness

Silver

question about submitted/complete applications

Post by horrorbusiness » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm waiting for LSAC to receive and process my 2nd LOR. It's the only thing holding me back.

My question is this: In order to meet some certain ED/EA deadlines, can I submit my application without that LOR, then have my file turn "complete" later, when LSAC has finished processing the LOR?

edit: Also, if possible, can anyone speak to the turnaround time between LSAC receiving their LOR and it being processed & ready to go?

VictoryGin

New

Re: question about submitted/complete applications

Post by VictoryGin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Hey man. I'm in the exact same position as you. I have 1 letter of rec and still waiting on one. Most schools for EA/ED want the app submitted Nov 1, and complete by Nov 15, as I'm sure you know.

I emailed Cornell because I wanted to find out if I could submit my app without the letter to meet the submission deadline and subsequently have the letter in by the 15th. They told me it was fine and that I should do that, so based off that information I sent applications to all the schools that state that their reports are updated "whenever lsac receives a new letter." So that at least they got everything else early and I could meet submission deadlines.

Some schools refuse to receive the "lsac report" until you have met their requirements fir LORs, so I got a lot of emails from lsac saying "report not sent, still waiting on one LOR." I assume that the report will be automatically sent when he other letter comes in, which in my experience with my first letter, was already processed immediately when I was told it was received. If my second letter doesn't come in by the 15th I suppose I'll just be deferred to RD instead of EA. They just hold the file and don't begin reviewing it until the lsac report is in.

Make sure to pay attention to your individual school though, some do not get updated by lsac when something new comes in, they want everything at once at the time you send your app. Off the top, NU and Boalt are this way, so I didn't send my apps there yet.

Good luck.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:32 pm

I believe that LSAC will not send the application if you attach both LORs until they are ready to be sent. So, you would not meet the ED deadline. Call the school and ask.

VictoryGin

New

Post by VictoryGin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:43 pm

I think they'll send the app, but not the report (transcript/LORs/maybe lsat scores). This is of course if you assign an LOR without having it processed. I say this because after I submitted, I received emails saying that "X school has requested your report but it will not be sent because you haven't met the requirements." So, he school must be getting something. They just won't begin reviewing until its complete.

I'm pretty confident about this. I made a note in optional addenda stating another letter was incoming. Hopefully this doesn't screw me over and I get rejected everywhere and end up at Cooley.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm still waiting on 1 LOR (should be sent today/tomorrow AFAIK), but I went ahead and submitted all my apps over the last 2-3 days. Don't think it's caused a problem, since LSAC will just forward it to all the schools as soon as they get it.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm

tjtorrence wrote:I think they'll send the app, but not the report (transcript/LORs/maybe lsat scores). This is of course if you assign an LOR without having it processed. I say this because after I submitted, I received emails saying that "X school has requested your report but it will not be sent because you haven't met the requirements." So, he school must be getting something. They just won't begin reviewing until its complete.

I'm pretty confident about this. I made a note in optional addenda stating another letter was incoming. Hopefully this doesn't screw me over and I get rejected everywhere and end up at Cooley.
I'd call and not risk it. They get a message you applied but that's it. You can see the report that was sent after the request and it's everything. I doubt they count you as applied until they receive the application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”