Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Intranetusa
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Intranetusa » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Bgard008 wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:
Bgard008 wrote:All hope is not lost TLSers. It seems to me that the waitlist is small this year, hence there is only one. So I choose to look at that as a positive thing. We can be accepted as late at the first week of classes. So with that in mind it is still "early". I've met two students/alumni who were in the same boat as all of us, and they were accepted after day one of classes. Not an ideal situation, but I'll take it. :)
Hope that call does come sooner than later though. *fingers crossed*


How does that even work? How do you even get financial aid from the school or pay tuition if you get accepted AFTER classes start?


I am not 100% positive about this, maybe someone else can comment on their experience. I believe you would only receive your GradPlus LOANS and any scholarships/grants the school has left... :?: (Thinking positively) WHEN that happens I will grind out a bunch of outside grant and scholarship applications, hopefully all the decent ones will still be available.

Hope that helps. Good luck.


As long as they don't expect us to pay the full 20k+ in tuition on the first day we get accepted. lol XD

Intranetusa
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Intranetusa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:26 am

dman12 wrote:
jmtyner11 wrote:I spoke with an admissions counselor last week. They are going to be at conferences or something I believe this week, so they are going to be in and out of the office. She said that they are going to begin reviewing applications within the next three weeks.
Hopefully we will hear about admittance soon. I'd love to stay in Baltimore.

+1
I also recently got an inside scoop that in the next 2-3 weeks there should be some MAJOR movement. Hopefully that means we all come here with some great news.


It's been 3 weeks already. Looks like we waitlisters are all screwed.

ama004
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ama004 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 am

Intranetusa wrote:
dman12 wrote:
jmtyner11 wrote:I spoke with an admissions counselor last week. They are going to be at conferences or something I believe this week, so they are going to be in and out of the office. She said that they are going to begin reviewing applications within the next three weeks.
Hopefully we will hear about admittance soon. I'd love to stay in Baltimore.

+1
I also recently got an inside scoop that in the next 2-3 weeks there should be some MAJOR movement. Hopefully that means we all come here with some great news.


It's been 3 weeks already. Looks like we waitlisters are all screwed.


+1

Wyse
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Wyse » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:17 am

Don't be so sure. Talked to people from admissions face to face at the forum in D.C. this weekend. Don't think we are dead yet.

sobo2012
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby sobo2012 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Keep the faith - There is still hope in waitlist purgatory!

Called admissions today... They said that they call people almost as soon as they get word from the committee. As for me, I'm on the UMD or bust train (part-time program)! I live just a couple miles from the school, so if you have questions about the area I'm happy to answer them.

Intranetusa
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Intranetusa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:06 pm

sobo2012 wrote:Keep the faith - There is still hope in waitlist purgatory!

Called admissions today... They said that they call people almost as soon as they get word from the committee. As for me, I'm on the UMD or bust train (part-time program)! I live just a couple miles from the school, so if you have questions about the area I'm happy to answer them.


That sounds like they have zero room, and can only make room for waitlisters when people drop...aka we are screwed.

User avatar
h2oplyer7
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby h2oplyer7 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Intranetusa wrote:
sobo2012 wrote:Keep the faith - There is still hope in waitlist purgatory!

Called admissions today... They said that they call people almost as soon as they get word from the committee. As for me, I'm on the UMD or bust train (part-time program)! I live just a couple miles from the school, so if you have questions about the area I'm happy to answer them.


That sounds like they have zero room, and can only make room for waitlisters when people drop...aka we are screwed.


Hey Sobo, I am trying to figure out if I should go to either UMD or UF. Do you have any thoughts on why UMD would be best? What do you think of Baltimore? Where do you live? I have read so many bad things about the area. I am going to visit in two weeks.

Thanks!

sobo2012
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby sobo2012 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey!

I love Baltimore. The Army shipped me here in 2005 and I've basically stayed here ever since (aside from a few deployments).

Most neighborhoods in Baltimore have a small town feel. There are tons of locally owned neighborhood pubs, restaurants, and bars that serve surprisingly good stuff for very reasonable prices. Many of your neighbors will have lived in the neighborhood for generations and there is definitely a sense of community. Just as an example, the other day I didn't close my back door all the way and the wind blew it open while I was away. My dog then decided to take himself for a walk and wandered over to our neighbor's house and scratched at the back door to get her attention. She brought him back to the house, left a note on the fridge, shut the back door, and watched the house until I got back. Of course, I bought her a couple of rounds at the corner pub that night. :)

I often see negative posts about the city on this forum and elsewhere. Does Baltimore have some issues with crime? Of course it does, but so do many other major cities. The UMD Law School is definitely not in the "hood." You won't be reenacting episodes of the wire on your way to class. The best thing you can do is educate yourself about the city. Talk to current residents (not necessarily folks that grew up here and then moved to the counties) because A LOT has change in just the past 7 years since I've been in town. If you want more advice feel free to PM me. We can talk on Skype or something.

sobo2012
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby sobo2012 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Intranetusa,

That's not the impression I got on the phone... I was definitely encouraged to keep in touch with the admissions folks to let them know you are still interested. I interpreted their comments as meaning that the process is still underway.

One last point, the last email I got back from admissions on Monday after I sent in a LOCI mentioned that the Assistant Dean of Admissions was out of town at the moment, but that they would make sure she got my letter. That doesn't sound like they are closing the door on this admissions cycle. So, if you think (as do I) that UMD is your first, best, and only choice --- STICK WITH IT!

Intranetusa
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Intranetusa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:
sobo2012 wrote:Hey Sobo, I am trying to figure out if I should go to either UMD or UF. Do you have any thoughts on why UMD would be best? What do you think of Baltimore? Where do you live? I have read so many bad things about the area. I am going to visit in two weeks.
Thanks!


You're comparing Baltimore to a small town/city in sunshine state Florida?
Bmore ranks #8 in crime according to this list: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... ous-cities

Overall, the UMD parts of Bmore aren't bad, but overall...

Are you getting instate tuition for Maryland?

sobo2012
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby sobo2012 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm paying out of state - I retained my former state's residency while in the Army (I just got out).

Ha! No, I'm not comparing Baltimore to some small town in Northwest Florida. :)

I'm originally from a small town (pop. 2,000) in Iowa. At the neighborhood level (and I live in South Baltimore), living in Baltimore has a very similar feel.

Is Baltimore on par crime-wise with cities like Minneapolis and Kansas City? I'd probably agree with that, but you also have to take a closer look at the stats you just cited --- I don't see Chicago, New Orleans or Philly on that list and they have all been in the news this year due to their high murder rates.

My point is this, all cities can be dangerous if you plan on an acting like a fool. Pay attention, know your surroundings and you will have a great time in Baltimore.

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby HellOnHeels » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Intranetusa wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:
sobo2012 wrote:Hey Sobo, I am trying to figure out if I should go to either UMD or UF. Do you have any thoughts on why UMD would be best? What do you think of Baltimore? Where do you live? I have read so many bad things about the area. I am going to visit in two weeks.
Thanks!


You're comparing Baltimore to a small town/city in sunshine state Florida?
Bmore ranks #8 in crime according to this list: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... ous-cities

Overall, the UMD parts of Bmore aren't bad, but overall...

Are you getting instate tuition for Maryland?

I've lived in Baltimore City for 8 years now, and I get where he's going with the small-town feel in some of the neighborhoods. Is there crime? Yes. Is it enough to make me move out to the county? Not anytime soon. The city grows on you, and I'm saying that as someone who grew up in Small Town, N.C.

Intranetusa
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Intranetusa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:31 pm

sobo2012 wrote:I'm paying out of state - I retained my former state's residency while in the Army (I just got out).
Ha! No, I'm not comparing Baltimore to some small town in Northwest Florida. :)
I'm originally from a small town (pop. 2,000) in Iowa. At the neighborhood level (and I live in South Baltimore), living in Baltimore has a very similar feel.
Is Baltimore on par crime-wise with cities like Minneapolis and Kansas City? I'd probably agree with that, but you also have to take a closer look at the stats you just cited --- I don't see Chicago, New Orleans or Philly on that list and they have all been in the news this year due to their high murder rates.
My point is this, all cities can be dangerous if you plan on an acting like a fool. Pay attention, know your surroundings and you will have a great time in Baltimore.


Well here's a detailed chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate
It looks like it depends on the crime.

I prefer small towns over big cities in general, so I'm curious to what the Florida Law College's surroundings are like?

ama004
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ama004 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:49 pm

sobo2012 wrote:Keep the faith - There is still hope in waitlist purgatory!

Called admissions today... They said that they call people almost as soon as they get word from the committee. As for me, I'm on the UMD or bust train (part-time program)! I live just a couple miles from the school, so if you have questions about the area I'm happy to answer them.


I'm in the same boat as you (part-time UMD or bust) so I hope we hear some good news soon! Will you reapply next year if you don't get in this year?

sobo2012
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby sobo2012 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Sure, I'd reapply... but I definitely think I'll make it this year. I applied at the absolute last minute because my employment situation was way up in the air (I was really sweating it for a bit there)... Now that I know I am Baltimore for the long haul I'm confident that I'll end up at UMD. If I have to wait until August 20th to get a call, so be it.... I live just a couple miles down the round - I can be there in 10 minutes. ;)

Good luck!

pret
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby pret » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:40 am

The lack of information is "slightly" irritating...

dasfury
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby dasfury » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:15 am

Having basically spent my entire life in this town (minus 5 years in Boston), i have to agree with everything that sobo has said. I spent my post grad years living in Fed Hill and you certainly get to feel the sense of community that each separate neighborhood brings (Little Italy, Fells, Patterson, Bolton Hill, Locust Point, etc). You certainly have to be aware of your surroundings and be sensible, but the city is safe when you are. Now if you want to stumble home drunk from <insert bar name> every night, alone, blabbing away on the phone, then you might run into some issues.

TurtleLaw03
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:49 am

dasfury wrote:Now if you want to stumble home drunk from <insert bar name> every night, alone, blabbing away on the phone, then you might run into some issues.

Ha, I totally agree with this. Baltimore is like any city - if you're aware of your surroundings and use common sense when traveling (i.e. don't walk alone late at night, keep your your cell phone in your pocket/purse while walking, don't stumble around drunk), you'll be alright.

legalybrunette
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby legalybrunette » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm

I see movement in almost every wait list thread.... C'mon Maryland :(

Intranetusa
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Intranetusa » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 pm

legalybrunette wrote:I see movement in almost every wait list thread.... C'mon Maryland :(


Which might mean oversaturation in Maryland's application list... rrarwrarawr

dman12
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby dman12 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Intranetusa wrote:
legalybrunette wrote:I see movement in almost every wait list thread.... C'mon Maryland :(


Which might mean oversaturation in Maryland's application list... rrarwrarawr


It's funny. I was thinking that schools didn't notify students until you were either accepted/rejected from the waitlist. However, I just received notification from another school in the DC area that they are starting to pull people from their waitlist (i'm on the waitlist there as well). So I'm guessing that Maryland is about to make a move or it is what intranetusa said about oversaturation....

User avatar
lawyer211
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 10:44 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby lawyer211 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:32 pm

I called admissions yesterday, and the lady sounded just as clueless as we feel. She said we probably won't have to wait for a final decision up until classes start, but it is probable it will be a while. She also said that they don't know anything until the admissions committee decides to start taking more people. She said to be patient...

I don't want to be patient anymore. Hopefully you guys are right in that there will be some movement soon.

TurtleLaw03
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:16 pm

lawyer211 wrote:I don't want to be patient anymore. Hopefully you guys are right in that there will be some movement soon.

I feel you on this one. I have a perfect living situation lined up with a friend in the city of the school I'm planning to attend (if not accepted to MD), but I can't commit to it because I'm holding out for MD. My friend knows this and has no choice but to search for another roommate. If MD doesn't pull through soon, I'll miss out on that opportunity and be forced to scramble to find another apartment/roommate. I feel bad for both of us, but the benefits of attending MD outweigh the costs of waiting. Wish it could be easier...

sobo2012
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby sobo2012 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Just as an FYI... I found it interesting that American is still accepting applicants for part-time and full-time admission in 2012.

pret
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby pret » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:59 pm

lawyer211 wrote:I called admissions yesterday, and the lady sounded just as clueless as we feel. She said we probably won't have to wait for a final decision up until classes start, but it is probable it will be a while. She also said that they don't know anything until the admissions committee decides to start taking more people. She said to be patient...

I don't want to be patient anymore. Hopefully you guys are right in that there will be some movement soon.

I know exactly how you feel with the nice but clueless lady over the phone. Maybe they're not getting to us because they don't know how to work the waitlist :P




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, flowering, legallyadog, potatoes, stewhan, taxman14 and 16 guests