Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ama004

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ama004 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Julijk wrote:I spoke to the school yesterday and they said wait list people will start to hear back early may and as late as the first day of school...so we're in for a lonnnnggg wait!

So best case scenario is about 4 weeks from today. :roll:

jwilson56

Postby jwilson56 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Yazzinit wrote:Still waiting on an initial decision since January

+ 1....

pret

Postby pret » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Just sent my LOCI and other addenda. Kinda' wish I waited. Oh wells, the letter was fab. and it's out of my hands now.

Postby 05753 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:15 pm

me too..

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:31 pm

05753 wrote:

me too..

I applied in early January and just got a response like a week or so ago. It seems like they are taking quite a while to review applications this cycle. However, I have other schools that I am still waiting for an answer that I applied to in January too so it is not only MD.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 pm

I really want to like Baltimore, but I'd really appreciate if someone could speak to the segregation in the city. It seemed pretty intense just in my short time there. Coming into the city I saw alot of the rowhouses that looked like Hamsterdam in The Wire, and taking a bus from north of the school down to the campus, everyone was looking at me like I was completely out of place (young white female here :wink: ). Used a night bus later and I got the impression everyone was avoiding having to sit by me. I'm pretty used to working in segregated areas (did social work in a big city), but it's still depressing that conditions like this exist. I'd love to hear more from someone who knows more about the city. It seemed like the area down by the harbor was more friendly to mixing and mingling.

Edit: This article is interesting for some background info specific to Baltimore. http://www.city-data.com/forum/baltimore/328367-race-class-antisemitism-baltimore.html

Addresses court cases and national policies that affected the city as well as others. Anyway, still interested in thoughts from today if people want to share.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:24 am

Former Baltimore native here. While I've lived in the suburbs for the past 10+ years (Towson area for anyone who knows it), I have many friends and three sisters who live downtown who I visit constantly so I can speak a little bit about the city. I also spent four months working for the Mayor's re-election campaign last year and I had to criss-cross the entire city by foot, so I got to look at the town up close. My perspective will be a little skewed because I don't come from right in the middle of the city, so keep that in mind. Maybe a "true" Baltimore resident can comment and correct what I'm about to write.

First off, I think Baltimore is wonderful. I have been enjoying the nightlife since back in the day when Power Plant still had an "18 to party, 21 to drink" policy. However, segregation is rampant. There is a significant amount of crime but but it is mostly centralized in the poorer neighborhoods. The difference between a rough neighborhood and a wealthy one is striking and sudden. For example, many 20-something young professionals live in the Federal Hill and Locus Point areas a little south of the Maryland schools of law, nursing, medicine, and dentistry. These areas are nice and for the most part safe, but almost uniformly inhabited by white middle class or better college grads. A few streets north past the school of law and near the Ravens and Orioles stadiums the area gets rough quick. Pigtown is an interesting mix that has elements of a rougher, struggling neighborhood but also includes some of the spillover Federal Hill crowd.

Over in East Baltimore you have two very trendy neighborhoods called Canton and Fells Point. My sister lives on the edge of Canton (near Patterson Park for those who know) and feels secure enough that she, her husband, and two year old son have established themselves there long-term. However, they live very close to the "ghetto" - just three or four blocks away you have abandoned homes, emergency police blue-light phone booth thingies, unemployed wandering the streets, and significant crime. Perhaps the MOST striking clash of wealth vs poverty can be found in the area surrounding the Johns Hopkins Medical Center. On the one had you have this beautiful, state-of-the-art, enormous, world-class hospital. On the other hand, literally across the street from Hopkins buildings, you find streets where 2/3rds of the row homes are boarded up and abandoned. Its really unbelievable to witness.

Anyway I'm rambling now but to summarize: Baltimore has two faces that are struggling to coexist with each other. You have wealthy up-and-coming neighborhoods which are flourishing even in this economy where you can live in peace without worrying much about your safety (like the neighborhoods I mentioned above - there are also plenty more that I didn't mention), yet you also have other areas which are entrenched in poverty, crime, drugs, prostitution etc. The richer areas are almost all white, the poorer neighborhoods all black or hispanic. I love Baltimore and its charm, but it does have some seriously neglected areas.

Specifically referring to segregation - as a suburban kid who only goes out downtown with my white friends, I noticed that races do not mix very much at the bars. There are white neighborhoods with white bars, and black neighborhoods with black bars. There is little mixing that I have witnessed but that might be because I only frequent "white" areas.

HTH let me know if you have anymore questions! Again maybe someone who has lived downtown more can make sure I'm not completely misrepresenting the city. Please correct me if I am, people.

ama004

Postby ama004 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:31 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:Former Baltimore native here. While I've lived in the suburbs for the past 10+ years (Towson area for anyone who knows it), I have many friends and three sisters who live downtown who I visit constantly so I can speak a little bit about the city. I also spent four months working for the Mayor's re-election campaign last year and I had to criss-cross the entire city by foot, so I got to look at the town up close. My perspective will be a little skewed because I don't come from right in the middle of the city, so keep that in mind. Maybe a "true" Baltimore resident can comment and correct what I'm about to write.

First off, I think Baltimore is wonderful. I have been enjoying the nightlife since back in the day when Power Plant still had an "18 to party, 21 to drink" policy. However, segregation is rampant. There is a significant amount of crime but but it is mostly centralized in the poorer neighborhoods. The difference between a rough neighborhood and a wealthy one is striking and sudden. For example, many 20-something young professionals live in the Federal Hill and Locus Point areas a little south of the Maryland schools of law, nursing, medicine, and dentistry. These areas are nice and for the most part safe, but almost uniformly inhabited by white middle class or better college grads. A few streets north past the school of law and near the Ravens and Orioles stadiums the area gets rough quick. Pigtown is an interesting mix that has elements of a rougher, struggling neighborhood but also includes some of the spillover Federal Hill crowd.

Over in East Baltimore you have two very trendy neighborhoods called Canton and Fells Point. My sister lives on the edge of Canton (near Patterson Park for those who know) and feels secure enough that she, her husband, and two year old son have established themselves there long-term. However, they live very close to the "ghetto" - just three or four blocks away you have abandoned homes, emergency police blue-light phone booth thingies, unemployed wandering the streets, and significant crime. Perhaps the MOST striking clash of wealth vs poverty can be found in the area surrounding the Johns Hopkins Medical Center. On the one had you have this beautiful, state-of-the-art, enormous, world-class hospital. On the other hand, literally across the street from Hopkins buildings, you find streets where 2/3rds of the row homes are boarded up and abandoned. Its really unbelievable to witness.

Anyway I'm rambling now but to summarize: Baltimore has two faces that are struggling to coexist with each other. You have wealthy up-and-coming neighborhoods which are flourishing even in this economy where you can live in peace without worrying much about your safety (like the neighborhoods I mentioned above - there are also plenty more that I didn't mention), yet you also have other areas which are entrenched in poverty, crime, drugs, prostitution etc. The richer areas are almost all white, the poorer neighborhoods all black or hispanic. I love Baltimore and its charm, but it does have some seriously neglected areas.

Specifically referring to segregation - as a suburban kid who only goes out downtown with my white friends, I noticed that races do not mix very much at the bars. There are white neighborhoods with white bars, and black neighborhoods with black bars. There is little mixing that I have witnessed but that might be because I only frequent "white" areas.

HTH let me know if you have anymore questions! Again maybe someone who has lived downtown more can make sure I'm not completely misrepresenting the city. Please correct me if I am, people.

My perspective/experience is very similar to yours so I pretty much agree with everything you're saying.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:54 am

ama004 wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:Former Baltimore native here. While I've lived in the suburbs for the past 10+ years (Towson area for anyone who knows it), I have many friends and three sisters who live downtown who I visit constantly so I can speak a little bit about the city. I also spent four months working for the Mayor's re-election campaign last year and I had to criss-cross the entire city by foot, so I got to look at the town up close. My perspective will be a little skewed because I don't come from right in the middle of the city, so keep that in mind. Maybe a "true" Baltimore resident can comment and correct what I'm about to write.

My perspective/experience is very similar to yours so I pretty much agree with everything you're saying.

+1 (or would it be 2) I've lived and worked in the city for 8 years now and I love it here. I don't like the traffic though :P If you want a better sense of neighborhood crime, you can look at neighborhoods on this website
http://www.baltimorepolice.org/your-community/crime-map
If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me!

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Anybody think those of us who don't have decisions yet will get some movement next week after the deposit deadline?

I would imagine they would make decisions for all apps that were submitted before the deadline before they start pulling people off of the wait list.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Went from 3/5 to 4/5. In review... :D

pret

Postby pret » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:I really want to like Baltimore, but I'd really appreciate if someone could speak to the segregation in the city. It seemed pretty intense just in my short time there. Coming into the city I saw alot of the rowhouses that looked like Hamsterdam in The Wire, and taking a bus from north of the school down to the campus, everyone was looking at me like I was completely out of place (young white female here :wink: ). Used a night bus later and I got the impression everyone was avoiding having to sit by me. I'm pretty used to working in segregated areas (did social work in a big city), but it's still depressing that conditions like this exist. I'd love to hear more from someone who knows more about the city. It seemed like the area down by the harbor was more friendly to mixing and mingling.

Edit: This article is interesting for some background info specific to Baltimore. http://www.city-data.com/forum/baltimore/328367-race-class-antisemitism-baltimore.html
Addresses court cases and national policies that affected the city as well as others. Anyway, still interested in thoughts from today if people want to share.
This, reported just yesterday, is making national news and is scary:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/04/0 ... on-camera/

I absolutely do love the university, though.

ama004

Postby ama004 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 am

pret wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:I really want to like Baltimore, but I'd really appreciate if someone could speak to the segregation in the city. It seemed pretty intense just in my short time there. Coming into the city I saw alot of the rowhouses that looked like Hamsterdam in The Wire, and taking a bus from north of the school down to the campus, everyone was looking at me like I was completely out of place (young white female here :wink: ). Used a night bus later and I got the impression everyone was avoiding having to sit by me. I'm pretty used to working in segregated areas (did social work in a big city), but it's still depressing that conditions like this exist. I'd love to hear more from someone who knows more about the city. It seemed like the area down by the harbor was more friendly to mixing and mingling.

I remember hearing about this but honestly this incident is kind of tame compared to some of the things that happen closer to the University. For instance several months ago I was getting lunch at a food truck right across from the school and an hour or two later (when I was back in the office) someone fired shots--fortunately noone was hurt. Also a couple of months ago a woman was found dead in a trash chute a few blocks away from the school. The reality is that there is crime in Baltimore city. I don't think it should scare anyone away from attending the school but just be aware that stuff happens...

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:16 am

ama004 wrote:
pret wrote:

I remember hearing about this but honestly this incident is kind of tame compared to some of the things that happen closer to the University. For instance several months ago I was getting lunch at a food truck right across from the school and an hour or two later (when I was back in the office) someone fired shots--fortunately noone was hurt. Also a couple of months ago a woman was found dead in a trash chute a few blocks away from the school. The reality is that there is crime in Baltimore city. I don't think it should scare anyone away from attending the school but just be aware that stuff happens...

My law firm is literally in the building of the trash chute death. There was also a gentleman found in the trash chute a year or two earlier. The second death had us all on edge for a little while, but things are back to normal.

If anyone is interested in learning about segregation and the history of its cultivation in Baltimore you should read Antero Patillos book, Not In My Neighborhood. It chronicles how laws were on the city's books to force segregation of neighborhoods for centuries, and how that resulted in the current disparities seen across Baltimore.

ama004

Postby ama004 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 am

z0rk wrote:
ama004 wrote:
pret wrote:

My law firm is literally in the building of the trash chute death. There was also a gentleman found in the trash chute a year or two earlier. The second death had us all on edge for a little while, but things are back to normal.

If anyone is interested in learning about segregation and the history of its cultivation in Baltimore you should read Antero Patillos book, Not In My Neighborhood. It chronicles how laws were on the city's books to force segregation of neighborhoods for centuries, and how that resulted in the current disparities seen across Baltimore.

My building is right next to that but not right in it...so I can imagine your firm feeling a little off.

That book does sound interesting, I may have to check it out.

Postby 05753 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 pm

in review 2/16 -> decision made 4/9

VMB

Postby VMB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:11 pm

05753 wrote:in review 2/16 -> decision made 4/9

Would you mind sharing your numbers?

superjohnnnn

Postby superjohnnnn » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm

IN!
Applied -3/28/12
In Review - 4/2/12
Decision Made - 4/5/12
Congratulations call from Admissions & Financial Package Email - 4/9/12

lol my app cycle from application to acceptance was a week.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:58 pm

superjohnnnn wrote:IN!
Applied -3/28/12
In Review - 4/2/12
Decision Made - 4/5/12

congrats!! do you think you want to go here?

daveaa

Postby daveaa » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Applied -3/28/12
In Review - 4/2/12
Decision Made - 4/5/12

Mind sharing your numbers? I went in review on the same day and the wait is killing me.

superjohnnnn

Postby superjohnnnn » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:09 pm

stephinmd wrote:
Applied -3/28/12
In Review - 4/2/12
Decision Made - 4/5/12

if i get off the fordham waitlist, no

applied late :x

there's a decent chance because i have a lot of ties to the school, area and i know in terms of job security and all i will be golden as long as i do decently well.
but ive lived in MD my whole life and i think when im 30-40 i might jump off a bridge if i don't experience living somewhere else at some point... and im thinking now is the time!

we'll see! why? good luck to everyone!!

Yazzinit

Postby Yazzinit » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:17 pm

Decision made 4/9, guess I'll see in the next few days. Unfortunately, would need money to come here due to the higher tuition compared to elsewhere I'm in. Don't see that happening, so good luck guys. I'll post my final status when I get it if it helps anyone.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:49 pm

superjohnnnn wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
Applied -3/28/12
In Review - 4/2/12
Decision Made - 4/5/12

if i get off the fordham waitlist, no

applied late :x

there's a decent chance because i have a lot of ties to the school, area and i know in terms of job security and all i will be golden as long as i do decently well.
but ive lived in MD my whole life and i think when im 30-40 i might jump off a bridge if i don't experience living somewhere else at some point... and im thinking now is the time!

we'll see! why? good luck to everyone!!

haha, no reason. i've been in MD eight years, and can see myself here for a long time. but i guess if you were born here, you might be ready to get out :wink:

ashen

Postby ashen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Decision Made.
:shock:

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Well damn...still in review. Went complete 3/23.

Guess I should expect that as a splitter who applied late.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”