Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Marie34
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Marie34 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:26 am

Hey everyone, I just came back from ASD at Maryland, and I had a talk with admissions regarding the scholarships, so I thought I'd share since there seemed to be other people on here wondering the scholarship situation.

Basically, the woman said all first round scholarships have pretty much been given out, and that they have a few more to do before April 6th. But after that, they're done until they have a good idea on whose definitely coming or not, then they will re-evaluate applicants and will continue to send out scholarships throughout the summer. Soo there's still a chance to all those waiting :)

Plus, on a side note, those who are out-of-staters who are depending on gaining in-state tuition should re-consider. Apparently its not as easy as other state schools, and they deny a decent amount of students who apply :?

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby splitsplat » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:03 am

Thanks for the info Marie. Guess I will be withdrawing.. since their 1st deposit is $500 and non-refundable, don't think I can afford $500 just to see if I would get a scholarship. :(

User avatar
BarcaCrossesTheAlps
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:09 am

...non-refundable seat deposits are killer. Not to mention the deposits are way too expensive. I barely have 5 notes in the bank...

ama004
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ama004 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 am

Lindsey4468 wrote:WL at 3.25/156. Withdrawing tomorrow. Good Luck to all!


Thanks Lindsey, from one waitlisted applicant to another! I appreciate you withdrawing, as Maryland is my top choice so I'll be riding out the waitlist.

jwilson56
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby jwilson56 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:28 am

is anyone still waiting for a decision? In review since early feb...

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:35 am

jwilson56 wrote:is anyone still waiting for a decision? In review since early feb...


I'm still watiting, but I didn't go to "In Review" until 3/23.

Mandi
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Mandi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 am

Anyone else go to ASD this weekend that would like to share their thoughts or experience with others that couldn't attend?

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Mandi wrote:Anyone else go to ASD this weekend that would like to share their thoughts or experience with others that couldn't attend?

They did stress the importance of networking for getting a job. Professors seemed nice and knowledgeable. Not a huge crowd.

ama004
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ama004 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:03 pm

stephinmd wrote:
Mandi wrote:Anyone else go to ASD this weekend that would like to share their thoughts or experience with others that couldn't attend?

They did stress the importance of networking for getting a job. Professors seemed nice and knowledgeable. Not a huge crowd.


Was the ASD for both day and evening students?

Yazzinit
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Yazzinit » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Just to maybe help others, I've been in review since early-mid January. I emailed admissions just to follow up and they simply told me that it would take 8-12 weeks and I was not forgotten. That was all they could tell me last week.

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm

ama004 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
Mandi wrote:Anyone else go to ASD this weekend that would like to share their thoughts or experience with others that couldn't attend?

They did stress the importance of networking for getting a job. Professors seemed nice and knowledgeable. Not a huge crowd.


Was the ASD for both day and evening students?

There were evening students there, and one of the student panels had a current evening student.

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Yazzinit wrote:Just to maybe help others, I've been in review since early-mid January. I emailed admissions just to follow up and they simply told me that it would take 8-12 weeks and I was not forgotten. That was all they could tell me last week.


WTF? 8-12 weeks from the time we went to "in review" status? That would put me into the May-June neighborhood.

Yazzinit
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Yazzinit » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:56 pm

abbottsbar wrote:
Yazzinit wrote:Just to maybe help others, I've been in review since early-mid January. I emailed admissions just to follow up and they simply told me that it would take 8-12 weeks and I was not forgotten. That was all they could tell me last week.


WTF? 8-12 weeks from the time we went to "in review" status? That would put me into the May-June neighborhood.


"Thank you for your interest with the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law.

You are correct, according to our records your application did began our review process on January 25, 2012. It may take up to twelve weeks from the date your application began the review process for a decision to be returned by our Admissions Committee. All decisions will be sent using the U. S. Postal Service first class mail to the current address you provided on your application."

Ok, I was a bit off. I went complete around the 12-15 of January, "in review" since Jan 25. The above is an exact quote from a woman in admissions after I emailed to check in. Yeah, it says 8-12 weeks from in review status, not even from going complete. Looks like it's a longggg wait

User avatar
abbottsbar
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm

From looking on LSN it doesn't look like anyone who has received a decision has waited over 8 weeks after going into review. Can anyone who has been accepted verify this?

daveaa
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby daveaa » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:37 pm

I went In Review today, after applying on 3/12/12

User avatar
diegoforlan10
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Does anyone know if the first seat deposit is binding? I don't think it is (otherwise why would they require a second one in may), but I can't find any concrete information on the matter. I know it is non-refundable, which sucks, but whatever.

pbfoot
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby pbfoot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:03 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Does anyone know if the first seat deposit is binding? I don't think it is (otherwise why would they require a second one in may), but I can't find any concrete information on the matter. I know it is non-refundable, which sucks, but whatever.

As far as I know no schools have a binding first seat deposit, specifically I am almost certain Maryland's is not.

Sent in my letter of intent to not attend Maryland Law today, good luck to anyone still waiting!

ama004
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ama004 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 am

Dear Accepted Applicants:

Seat deposit deadline tomorrow! Who's putting one down?

Sincerely,

Waitlisted Part-Time Applicant

Mandi
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Mandi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 pm

So how long after the first seat deposit (tomorrow) do you think they will start notifying waitlisted applicants? Can we hope for a week or two or should we expect and even longer wait?

legalybrunette
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby legalybrunette » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Mandi wrote:So how long after the first seat deposit (tomorrow) do you think they will start notifying waitlisted applicants? Can we hope for a week or two or should we expect and even longer wait?


I wish! I think they will let us know later on in the month. The waitlist letter stated they would start reviewing end of April :(

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Has anybody that asked heard about money? They posted my financial aid in SURFS and it would cost me $210,000 plus any tution increases. So waitlisted people, a spot will be opening up!

User avatar
diegoforlan10
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby diegoforlan10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Accepted back in early march, seat deposit submitted yesterday. Still deciding between this and another high ranked but more expensive school. Will make my final decision after I visit the other school's Admitted Students Day.

Julijk
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Julijk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:34 pm

I spoke to the school yesterday and they said wait list people will start to hear back early may and as late as the first day of school...so we're in for a lonnnnggg wait!

Yazzinit
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Yazzinit » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Still waiting on an initial decision since January




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”