Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:02 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby z0rk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Jsa725 wrote:So, MD acceptances are only snail mail? And W/L is email? Amirite?


Some folks received wait list notices by snail mail. Still no indication as to why the difference.

I received my wait list notification by email.

ama004
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ama004 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:31 am

z0rk wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:So, MD acceptances are only snail mail? And W/L is email? Amirite?


Some folks received wait list notices by snail mail. Still no indication as to why the difference.

I received my wait list notification by email.


Yeah I'm curious what the difference is...one thing I'm thinking is that maybe they opted to send snail mail waitlist notifications because their email server was acting up. The email wasn't being sent when it was supposed to--I got mine a day later when it should've been sent the day my status changed. Another poster said that he received the notification 3 times.

Who knows?

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 am

Has anyone asked for scholarship money and received some that was not originally awarded any?

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby HellOnHeels » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:42 am

neeko wrote:Has anyone asked for scholarship money and received some that was not originally awarded any?

Asked for it early Feb, have heard nothing back.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 am

stephinmd wrote:
neeko wrote:Has anyone asked for scholarship money and received some that was not originally awarded any?

Asked for it early Feb, have heard nothing back.


Did they tell you they were sending it to the admissions committee? This is my top choice but I need a little bit of money to make it possible. Hopefully they start making decisions soon on scholarships!

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby HellOnHeels » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:49 am

neeko wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
neeko wrote:Has anyone asked for scholarship money and received some that was not originally awarded any?

Asked for it early Feb, have heard nothing back.


Did they tell you they were sending it to the admissions committee? This is my top choice but I need a little bit of money to make it possible. Hopefully they start making decisions soon on scholarships!

Yes, they did say they were sending it to admissions. I went off the assumption that I will get nothing from them in making a decision. While I have very generous scholarships from other schools, none of them would offset the hit i would take from selling my house. So even without a scholarship, Maryland was the best choice for me. I mailed in my seat deposit on Monday. :D

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 am

stephinmd wrote:
neeko wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
neeko wrote:Has anyone asked for scholarship money and received some that was not originally awarded any?

Asked for it early Feb, have heard nothing back.


Did they tell you they were sending it to the admissions committee? This is my top choice but I need a little bit of money to make it possible. Hopefully they start making decisions soon on scholarships!

Yes, they did say they were sending it to admissions. I went off the assumption that I will get nothing from them in making a decision. While I have very generous scholarships from other schools, none of them would offset the hit i would take from selling my house. So even without a scholarship, Maryland was the best choice for me. I mailed in my seat deposit on Monday. :D


Congrats! It must be nice to know where you are going already. I hope I see you here next year

User avatar
burndtscorcho
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby burndtscorcho » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 am

Withdrew today... good luck to everybody still waiting!

Lvaughn714
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:54 am

I have been waiting so long that I had literally forgotten my status check login information...still in review. Sigh.

User avatar
ach24
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ach24 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:09 pm

.
Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby neeko » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 pm

ach24 wrote:
neeko wrote:Has anyone asked for scholarship money and received some that was not originally awarded any?


This happened to me and a friend of mine last cycle. Be persistent. Make it clear that Maryland is your top choice. I didn't get my call back until LATE in the game. Hang in there!


Did you deposit before you heard back? If I don't hear from them by the deadline, I'll have to deposit somewhere else. With some scholarship though, I would much rather go here. Thank you for the info!

tallgaloot
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. Maryland was not one of my top picks, But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
1. I want to go to the BEST school possible.
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast (New York, PA, NJ, MD, Washington DC areas).
4. I want the school with the best track record/program in public interest.
5. I wouldn't mind a judicial clerkship after graduation.
6. I want to work hard and have a job soon after graduating.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program or Washington and Lee. I'm getting ready to pull Maryland out of consideration. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, Notre Dame and W&L both have offered me around a 1/2 ride. Maryland has offered me nothing yet.

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 pm

tallgaloot wrote:Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. Maryland was not one of my top picks, But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
1. I want to go to the BEST school possible.
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast (New York, PA, NJ, MD, Washington DC areas).
4. I want the school with the best track record/program in public interest.
5. I wouldn't mind a judicial clerkship after graduation.
6. I want to work hard and have a job soon after graduating.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program or Washington and Lee. I'm getting ready to pull Maryland out of consideration. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, Notre Dame and W&L both have offered me around a 1/2 ride. Maryland has offered me nothing yet.


no one is going to convince you that you're wrong..stick with either w&l or notre dame..in the mean time stop posting the same question at 10 different locations.

tallgaloot
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:43 pm

anjmissy wrote:
no one is going to convince you that you're wrong..stick with either w&l or notre dame..in the mean time stop posting the same question at 10 different locations.


If everyone at UMaryland is as polite and helpful as you, then it should be a no brainer. Yes, I posted the same question in different forums. Because I'm looking for opinions from different people. I want to hear from the UMaryland people why I should go there and from the W&L people why I should go there and so on. I don't understand why law school students (and perhaps lawyers in general) are so rude.

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:51 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
no one is going to convince you that you're wrong..stick with either w&l or notre dame..in the mean time stop posting the same question at 10 different locations.


If everyone at UMaryland is as polite and helpful as you, then it should be a no brainer. Yes, I posted the same question in different forums. Because I'm looking for opinions from different people. I want to hear from the UMaryland people why I should go there and from the W&L people why I should go there and so on. I don't understand why law school students (and perhaps lawyers in general) are so rude.


im not rude..im being honest..your question is a no brainer, I even selected w&l on your poll in the other forum, which I believe is already at 50+ percent points..and if you think im rude wait until you get responses from other people about what you are doing..you have to understand that the schools you are posting your question in are schools that pretty much the same people apply to, therefore people are going to see your post at least twice if not more if they check the forum frequently..btw im not at umaryland, im an 0L just like you

pret
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby pret » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm

You would have gotten a lot of constructive feedback in the "Choosing a Law School" forum.

I also get the sense that you would expect Maryland students to automatically solicit their school when you say, "CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG," which isn't the case at all. I say W&L is the best fit if all you said is true.
Last edited by pret on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallgaloot
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:04 pm

anjmissy wrote:
tallgaloot wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
no one is going to convince you that you're wrong..stick with either w&l or notre dame..in the mean time stop posting the same question at 10 different locations.


If everyone at UMaryland is as polite and helpful as you, then it should be a no brainer. Yes, I posted the same question in different forums. Because I'm looking for opinions from different people. I want to hear from the UMaryland people why I should go there and from the W&L people why I should go there and so on. I don't understand why law school students (and perhaps lawyers in general) are so rude.


im not rude..im being honest..your question is a no brainer, I even selected w&l on your poll in the other forum, which I believe is already at 50+ percent points..and if you think im rude wait until you get responses from other people about what you are doing..you have to understand that the schools you are posting your question in are schools that pretty much the same people apply to, therefore people are going to see your post at least twice if not more if they check the forum frequently..btw im not at umaryland, im an 0L just like you


I understand your point. but I guess what I was expecting that people that are on the UMaryland board would try to convince me to go to UMaryland (or perhaps current student who lurke on these pages). UMaryland is just about out of my consideration for schools and I was asking to see if anybody would give me some information I wasn't thinking of.

z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby z0rk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:15 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
tallgaloot wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
no one is going to convince you that you're wrong..stick with either w&l or notre dame..in the mean time stop posting the same question at 10 different locations.


If everyone at UMaryland is as polite and helpful as you, then it should be a no brainer. Yes, I posted the same question in different forums. Because I'm looking for opinions from different people. I want to hear from the UMaryland people why I should go there and from the W&L people why I should go there and so on. I don't understand why law school students (and perhaps lawyers in general) are so rude.


im not rude..im being honest..your question is a no brainer, I even selected w&l on your poll in the other forum, which I believe is already at 50+ percent points..and if you think im rude wait until you get responses from other people about what you are doing..you have to understand that the schools you are posting your question in are schools that pretty much the same people apply to, therefore people are going to see your post at least twice if not more if they check the forum frequently..btw im not at umaryland, im an 0L just like you


I understand your point. but I guess what I was expecting that people that are on the UMaryland board would try to convince me to go to UMaryland (or perhaps current student who lurke on these pages). UMaryland is just about out of my consideration for schools and I was asking to see if anybody would give me some information I wasn't thinking of.


I'm waitlisted, my goal is to convince you to give me the seat you are currently taking. So don't go to UMD. In fact dont go to W+L or Notre Dame, just stay at liberty university. I agree with posters above, this discussion belongs in the choosing a law school forum.

pret
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby pret » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm waitlisted for the pt program, however I suspect he's applied ft since the other schools he mentioned don't have pt programs so I couldn't care less.

ama004
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby ama004 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:53 am

Dear Part-Time Applicants who were accepted:

Please do not go to UMD, you will be happier at another school haha. But really, Zork try to convince your roommate not to go at least... :twisted:

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:34 am

I'd much rather see z0rk, pret, and ama at Maryland, because I'd rather have classmates that really want to be there, instead of someone I have to convince to be there (that same someone who posted in a bunch of different school threads the exact same post, just changing the school name) :P

tallgaloot
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby tallgaloot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:51 am

stephinmd wrote:I'd much rather see z0rk, pret, and ama at Maryland, because I'd rather have classmates that really want to be there, instead of someone I have to convince to be there (that same someone who posted in a bunch of different school threads the exact same post, just changing the school name) :P


I guess what I expected was people in this forum to know something about UMaryland that I was missing. And yes I posted in other forums asking about other schools. Who cares? I am weighing my options and taking other people's advice into consideration. I get phone calls and letters from these schools and guess what thay're trying to do... convince me that their school is the choice for me. BUt of course their advice is one-sided, so I was looking for some more objective points of view. I have had a few people tell me that UMaryland is just as good as W&L and closer to my home, but from this forum all I've gotten is anger and animosity for asking essentially, 'Why should I go here over my other options?' If the answer is, 'You shouldn't' then so be it. I was looking for some helpful advice as to why the lot of you are choosing UMaryland over the 199 choices. If there is no reason and the consensus is that I should withdraw, then that's fine. But, please must all law school students be so harsh in their messages to a prospective law student asking such a simple question?

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:02 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
stephinmd wrote:I'd much rather see z0rk, pret, and ama at Maryland, because I'd rather have classmates that really want to be there, instead of someone I have to convince to be there (that same someone who posted in a bunch of different school threads the exact same post, just changing the school name) :P


I guess what I expected was people in this forum to know something about UMaryland that I was missing. And yes I posted in other forums asking about other schools. Who cares? I am weighing my options and taking other people's advice into consideration. I get phone calls and letters from these schools and guess what thay're trying to do... convince me that their school is the choice for me. I have had a few people tell me that UMaryland is just as good as W&L and closer to my home, but from this forum all I've gotten is anger and animosity for asking essentially, 'Why should I go here over my other options?' If the answer is, 'You shouldn't' then so be it. I was looking for some helpful advice as to why the lot of you are choosing UMaryland over the 199 choices. If there is no reason and the consensus is that I should withdraw, then that's fine. But, please must all law school students be so harsh in their messages to a prospective law student asking such a simple question?

Then I suggest you actually visit the schools and get a feel for the school. Everyone is going to have reasons for choosing one school over another, many of them personal reasons. I will tell you that when it comes to these schools (Maryland vs W&L vs Penn State vs whatever other schools you're thinking about not in the T-14), most of the advice on these forums is to pick a school in the market you want to work in, as they are regional schools. If you want convincing, use the search option and search "Maryland W&L" and you'll find posts where those two schools are compared, and do that for all combinations of schools you are interested in. Look at Law School Transparency to compare job data. Look at wikipedia entries to compare living in the different cities. There is so much info that can go into your decision, only you can convince yourself where you want to go to school.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”