Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
superbloom

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby superbloom » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Waitlisted as well. 3.36/163. Honestly a bit surprised.

JK910

Postby JK910 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:32 pm

superbloom wrote:Waitlisted as well. 3.36/163. Honestly a bit surprised.

I'm surprised as well. I was accepted fulltime (day) with 3.19/164. Maybe I was lucky since I submitted my application 2 days after it went online?

afangel804

Postby afangel804 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Waitlisted. 155/3.84

So you're saying there's a chance...
Last edited by afangel804 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Just got an email for the shindig in San Diego next Tuesday. I'll be there. Is anyone else going to the Maryland thingy in San Diego next week?

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 pm

afangel804 wrote:Waitlisted. 155/3.84

So you're saying there's a chance...

Bravo

sewei08

Postby sewei08 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:40 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Just got an email for the shindig in San Diego next Tuesday. I'll be there. Is anyone else going to the Maryland thingy in San Diego next week?

Did you get this email only after being admitted because I got the email and haven't gotten a decision yet.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:42 pm

No, I am actually on the waitlist. I assume meetings like this are to gauge interest in the law school. So I will be there with a big smile on my face. :)

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Wrote some very inflammatory stuff and after a while decided to take it off. I was waitlisted and feel cheated at how fast that turn around is. I conveyed such in my waitlist withdrawl. I have a considerable amount of acceptances so Im not going to bother persuing this, when the school only took two weeks to pass judgement....their loss, best of luck to those waiting and those going!

legalgirly

Postby legalgirly » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Did anybody receive waitlist emails or was it via snail mail?

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:57 am

Mine was snailmail. Honestly, I sorta thought it was a reject. I'm pleased.

ama004

Postby ama004 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 am

Mine was via email. I wonder what if any difference there is between the two?

h2oplyer7 wrote:Mine was snailmail. Honestly, I sorta thought it was a reject. I'm pleased.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Mine just said the typical: you've got a lot of great assets, blah blah blah, you have many things we believe would make you a good asset to the school, blah blah blah, please stay on our waitlist.

pret

Postby pret » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:25 pm

tooswolle wrote:Wrote some very inflammatory stuff and after a while decided to take it off. I was waitlisted and feel cheated at how fast that turn around is. I conveyed such in my waitlist withdrawl. I have a considerable amount of acceptances so Im not going to bother persuing this, when the school only took two weeks to pass judgement....their loss, best of luck to those waiting and those going!

Applying late reduces your chances. Surely you accepted this when you applied.

legalgirly

Postby legalgirly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:41 pm

ama004 wrote:Mine was via email. I wonder what if any difference there is between the two?

h2oplyer7 wrote:Mine was snailmail. Honestly, I sorta thought it was a reject. I'm pleased.
ama004 wrote:Mine was via email. I wonder what if any difference there is between the two?

Could one of them be a preferred waitlist?

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 pm

legalgirly wrote:

I think yesterday during the chat, admissions said there wasn't a preferred waitlist this year, just a waitlist.

Anyone else sign up for admitted students day yet? I did yesterday :)

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:17 am

pret wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Wrote some very inflammatory stuff and after a while decided to take it off. I was waitlisted and feel cheated at how fast that turn around is. I conveyed such in my waitlist withdrawl. I have a considerable amount of acceptances so Im not going to bother persuing this, when the school only took two weeks to pass judgement....their loss, best of luck to those waiting and those going!

Applying late reduces your chances. Surely you accepted this when you applied.

I knew it, just upset that it was a quick turn around like this. It was honestly a month from sending it in and having it go under review and then a decision mailed. I thank the speedy decision but feel played. They kept emailing me about the school and sent me a fee waiver so I said whatever. If they didn't have room to admit people or give my application a good faith review they shouldn't have sent me stuff to apply. Whatever the case is I got in to a T25, so I'm not tripping.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:57 am

That could be why you know. They could have looked at your application and realized that you wouldn't go there anyways. Still, they didn't want to reject you. Honestly, if you wrote them a loci you would probably find you're accepted in April. But if you got into a t25 I would stick with that. I'm not as lucky as you. Maryland is a great school and for me it is a bit of a reach with my ugpa.

ama004

Postby ama004 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:28 am

Yeah they said there isn't a preferred waitlist this year. They also said that there is a small pool of waitlisted candidates. But small is a relative term...hopefully the April 6th seat deposit deadline frees some seats for us waitlisted folks.

Maybe they abandoned the waitlist email because they experienced some server problems. Some people got it more than once, and others got the email later than they were supposed to.

stephinmd wrote:
legalgirly wrote:

I think yesterday during the chat, admissions said there wasn't a preferred waitlist this year, just a waitlist.

Anyone else sign up for admitted students day yet? I did yesterday :)

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:57 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:That could be why you know. They could have looked at your application and realized that you wouldn't go there anyways. Still, they didn't want to reject you. Honestly, if you wrote them a loci you would probably find you're accepted in April. But if you got into a t25 I would stick with that. I'm not as lucky as you. Maryland is a great school and for me it is a bit of a reach with my ugpa.

That's probably the case but why send me stuff to make me apply? I'd strongly consider them if they offered money. However the part that irks me is that the review was too fast. I applied in good faith and feel I didn't get a fair shake for whatever reason. But eh, what can you do about it.

jgrady1

Postby jgrady1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Anyone else still in review since December 1??

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:19 pm

If I had to guess, it is the same reason the University of Washington sent me a pile of messages to apply. So I did, and I was rejected. haha. A lot just has to do with the numbers. Maryland no doubt had access to your LSAT score from LSAC. I don't know your exact numbers, but they realized you would be a great candidate. Then your application got to the admissions committee (late) and they were probably like, "Wow! Well, he's probably not coming here anyways, but let's at least see. Waitlist him!" So unless you wrote a why Maryland PS, they probably just thought you were sowing a wide range of applications. Like I said, if you want to go to Maryland, which it doesn't really sound like you do, write them a LOCI. You'll be accepted, and probably get a lot of money. If you look at the numbers, plenty of waitlisters get money.

A law school is like a pretty girl, they just want to know for sure you're into them before they make a commitment. :)

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:29 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:If I had to guess, it is the same reason the University of Washington sent me a pile of messages to apply. So I did, and I was rejected. haha. A lot just has to do with the numbers. Maryland no doubt had access to your LSAT score from LSAC. I don't know your exact numbers, but they realized you would be a great candidate. Then your application got to the admissions committee (late) and they were probably like, "Wow! Well, he's probably not coming here anyways, but let's at least see. Waitlist him!" So unless you wrote a why Maryland PS, they probably just thought you were sowing a wide range of applications. Like I said, if you want to go to Maryland, which it doesn't really sound like you do, write them a LOCI. You'll be accepted, and probably get a lot of money. If you look at the numbers, plenty of waitlisters get money.

A law school is like a pretty girl, they just want to know for sure you're into them before they make a commitment. :)

Haha loved the allegory of the law school being a lady being courted. She won't show you love till you commit and she probably thought it was gonna be a hit and quit type of thing. In all seriousness I am open to any offers, perhaps I didn't convey it in the application but the quick turn around is what got me heated. Give me a fair shake if my stats are like everyone else take me if I'm not good reject me. Either of those options gives me closure, a waitlist doesn't and the letter also said they wouldn't review until late April. I have money to drop on deposits but won't play that game hence why the decision surprised me. As for the Washington decision that blows. It seems kind of cruel to entice people to apply and then ding them when you know you wouldn't take them from the start.

pret

Postby pret » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:03 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:If I had to guess, it is the same reason the University of Washington sent me a pile of messages to apply. So I did, and I was rejected. haha. A lot just has to do with the numbers. Maryland no doubt had access to your LSAT score from LSAC. I don't know your exact numbers, but they realized you would be a great candidate. Then your application got to the admissions committee (late) and they were probably like, "Wow! Well, he's probably not coming here anyways, but let's at least see. Waitlist him!" So unless you wrote a why Maryland PS, they probably just thought you were sowing a wide range of applications. Like I said, if you want to go to Maryland, which it doesn't really sound like you do, write them a LOCI. You'll be accepted, and probably get a lot of money. If you look at the numbers, plenty of waitlisters get money.

Your situation with Washington isn't as bad as my situation with W&L. W&L sends me a fee waiver, I apply and am quickly rejected. Then W&L sends me another advertisement...and another...and another...and another.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:24 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aray379

Postby aray379 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:02 am

Waitlisted as well. 159/3.74

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”