Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TIKITEMBO

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby TIKITEMBO » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:32 pm

ama004 wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:
z0rk wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:Letter in the mail. In! (PT 155ish/3.7ish and tons of WE and other softs. Non-URM).

First "official" acceptance of the cycle since L&C can't confirm my acceptance though I'm in on the ASW. So happy for it!

Congratulations! Are you OOS?

I have a 157/3.5, non URM. I live in Baltimore City and work for a big firm downtown. I got waitlisted which is a bit of a shocker (UMD is my top choice). Curious as to whether in-state vs. out of state is playing into decision making factors, or if for some reason there may be something else up with my application...

I am OOS. Did you apply PT? If I recall correctly you were looking to keep working at your firm during law school. I remember you telling me about your work experience in the American thread (waiting to hear from them myself) and it sounds like you've got good stuff there. My numbers are a stretch for Maryland with my GPA above the 75th for both programs and meh LSAT, so strictly on the numbers, maybe they wanted to balance out a low GPA somewhere. You're an applicant right there in the city and doing work there, so I think there's got to be good news for you soon. :)

I also applied part-time and I was waitlisted. I'm in-state and I work in Baltimore. I have a 158 and 3.4, so maybe they are looking for some applicants with higher GPAS. We'll see what happens...Congrats!

My GPA, strong PI work experience, PS topic, various internships, second language, and community involvement are what I'm hoping get me through this cycle. LSAT certainly isn't gonna be the winning point. Good luck!

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:
z0rk wrote:
TIKITEMBO wrote:Letter in the mail. In! (PT 155ish/3.7ish and tons of WE and other softs. Non-URM).

First "official" acceptance of the cycle since L&C can't confirm my acceptance though I'm in on the ASW. So happy for it!

Congratulations! Are you OOS?

I have a 157/3.5, non URM. I live in Baltimore City and work for a big firm downtown. I got waitlisted which is a bit of a shocker (UMD is my top choice). Curious as to whether in-state vs. out of state is playing into decision making factors, or if for some reason there may be something else up with my application...

I am OOS. Did you apply PT? If I recall correctly you were looking to keep working at your firm during law school. I remember you telling me about your work experience in the American thread (waiting to hear from them myself) and it sounds like you've got good stuff there. My numbers are a stretch for Maryland with my GPA above the 75th for both programs and meh LSAT, so strictly on the numbers, maybe they wanted to balance out a low GPA somewhere. You're an applicant right there in the city and doing work there, so I think there's got to be good news for you soon. :)

Yeah, I am hoping for it. I did apply PT and got waitlisted. My roommate has a 165 and a 3.7, he was admitted for PT and interviewed for the leadership scholars. I have a feeling they are going to give him full tuition. My GPA is just at their 75th, and my LSAT is above the 25th for PT (according to LSP, I'd say its just at the 25th). I've got my fingers crossed. I have heard "rumors" that UMD takes a certain percentage of in-state vs. OOS applicants. I don't completely buy into that theory though, because they just got a 30 million dollar gift. Why would they be so concerned with OOS tuition vs. in-state tuition?

pret

Postby pret » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 pm

For the recent full-time admits: --ImageRemoved--.

For the part-time admits:Image.

I kid.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:08 pm

I've got my fingers crossed. I have heard "rumors" that UMD takes a certain percentage of in-state vs. OOS applicants.

Wow congrats to your roommate. That's a nice place to be in. I've heard this rumor as well though I'm not sure of the exact percentage. Anyone have more info on this?

pret

Postby pret » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:10 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:
I've got my fingers crossed. I have heard "rumors" that UMD takes a certain percentage of in-state vs. OOS applicants.

Wow congrats to your roommate. That's a nice place to be in. I've heard this rumor as well though I'm not sure of the exact percentage. Anyone have more info on this?

The official response is that while MD "encourages" in-state residents to apply, they are neither advantaged nor disadvantaged.

ap613

Postby ap613 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:08 am

Apologize in advance because I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but I was accepted yesterday via snail mail and didn't see anything about Maryland's ASW. Anyone know when it is?

barbaraeliz

Postby barbaraeliz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Got my acceptance letter today via snail mail. Wish they had sent a little more info, but I am happy to hear something from them. Received one email about events from them, never anything about receiving my application. Was going to call Monday because I was worried they hadn't received it.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Got my acceptance in the mail today! Anyone get scholly info yet?

caiteden

Postby caiteden » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Just got my acceptance letter for the PT program! Can't believe it, Maryland is a huge reach for me! LSAT 153/3.9 gpa non-URM

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:51 pm

caiteden wrote:Just got my acceptance letter for the PT program! Can't believe it, Maryland is a huge reach for me! LSAT 153/3.9 gpa non-URM

Thats awesome congrats!

akua1209

Postby akua1209 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:02 pm

ap613 wrote:Apologize in advance because I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but I was accepted yesterday via snail mail and didn't see anything about Maryland's ASW. Anyone know when it is?

It's March 31st. You'll receive a packet in the mail later with this info.

mmhmmjc

Postby mmhmmjc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:44 pm

congrats to those who received acceptance mails this week. Any of you guys in Socal like myself? I am just wondering because I have not yet received one and my decision was rendered 2/17.

mmhmmjc

Postby mmhmmjc » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:15 pm

just got in, no mention of scholly in the snail mail though unfortunately.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:29 pm

mmhmmjc wrote:just got in, no mention of scholly in the snail mail though unfortunately.

you'll be contacted in a week or two to interview if you're being considered.

tbean182

Postby tbean182 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:29 pm

For those of you who have gone through "decision made," to acceptance letter received: did anyone have the "deposit amount" hint that sometimes appears on the status checker for other schools prior to the letter's arrival? Thanks.

Dead Parrot

Postby Dead Parrot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:29 pm

Decision made today. Hope that snail mail has its running shoes on..

TXG

Postby TXG » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Just got my acceptance packet this week in the mail. Admitted Student Weekend is March 31st I think. I will be flying there from TX! I seriously considered going to Maryland-College Park for undergrad...I love the system, i'm just concerned about living in Baltimore for law school...

TXG

Postby TXG » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:26 pm

in a related matter,

could any current students or anyone familiar with Baltimore tell me about some nice areas, things to see/do, etc??

thanks! :lol:

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:39 pm

So I'm from Baltimore county and while I have gone out in Federal Hill (downtown Baltimore neighborhood) plenty of times, I really have no idea where it is in relation to the law school. Can any current students or anyone who knows the area better say whether or not its feasible to live in Fed Hill and walk to the law school? I'd ideally want to move there with my friends if its a reasonable distance. Don't really want to deal with city traffic though.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:40 pm

TXG wrote:in a related matter,

could any current students or anyone familiar with Baltimore tell me about some nice areas, things to see/do, etc??

thanks! :lol:

Inner harbor, fort mchenry, the aquarium, fells point, canton, power plant live, what are you looking to do? When you get here, there is a tourist info place in the inner harbor, there is a free tourist magazine with things to do and see. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:09 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:So I'm from Baltimore county and while I have gone out in Federal Hill (downtown Baltimore neighborhood) plenty of times, I really have no idea where it is in relation to the law school. Can any current students or anyone who knows the area better say whether or not its feasible to live in Fed Hill and walk to the law school? I'd ideally want to move there with my friends if its a reasonable distance. Don't really want to deal with city traffic though.

I live in Charles Village, and if I attended school at UMD I would relocate to Fed Hill. It's not too far, in fact many attorneys at my firm still live in Fed Hill. The law school is on Baltimore street, which is north of pratt street. It's right by UMMS (the hospital). I suggest doing a drive around the neighborhood sometime. It's definitely walkable, but you should assess your distance from certain things like grocery stores. Also, there are a TON of zip cars in the downtown neighborhood now. I don't own a car and I use zip car ocassionally to run errands and get major things done.

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:17 pm

My status checker finally switched to "Decision Made" after no status changes for since Mid-January. Interestingly enough, though, the status date is tomorrow, 03/06/12.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Submitted 01/31 just got decision rendered 03/06 should I be worried? I didn't see any deposit info is that bad?

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:34 pm

There is a Facebook page called 365 Things to do around Baltimore, for those of you looking for more info on things to do in Baltimore.

btowncane

Postby btowncane » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:34 pm

genius5432 wrote:My status checker finally switched to "Decision Made" after no status changes for since Mid-January. Interestingly enough, though, the status date is tomorrow, 03/06/12.

Same here. Previous posters said they received some sort of email within a certain time frame after switching to "decision made" but I haven't gotten anything, hopefully that's not a bad sign.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”