Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HellOnHeels

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

neeko wrote:
stephinmd wrote:Received my letter today... Accepted! :D

Congrats!!!!

Thanks!

Does anyone know when scholarship info usually comes out?

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:01 pm

stephinmd wrote:
neeko wrote:

Congrats!!!!

Thanks!

I had a skype interview in late december and I know they did another round early january. They said Ill find out the amount late january/early feb. Dont know if they have done more or will do more interviews. From what Ive read, Maryland seems real tight with scholarships

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:58 pm

reporting on behalf of my roommate who was accepted (he doesnt contribute to LSN or very much on TLS). We both live in Baltimore City, but his numbers are way better than mine (thus why he got a quick response and I have been in review since thanksgiving). He has a 165/3.71, and like me he applied to the PT program.

I will say this, the envelope says "Congratulations" on it. I doubt a denial letter would say the same. Just a warning to people for when they receive their letters in the future.

skolks

Postby skolks » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:15 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
neeko wrote:

Congrats!!!!

Thanks!

I had a skype interview in late december and I know they did another round early january. They said Ill find out the amount late january/early feb. Dont know if they have done more or will do more interviews. From what Ive read, Maryland seems real tight with scholarships

How does their scholarship interviewing process work? I was accepted a while back (maybe a month or so) yet haven't been offered an interview yet. 166/3.44

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:34 pm

skolks wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:

How does their scholarship interviewing process work? I was accepted a while back (maybe a month or so) yet haven't been offered an interview yet. 166/3.44

Got an email asking me if I wanted to interview. Scheduled it and then had it. Dont know how they selected, how many they interviewed, or if they will have any more. Im still waiting to hear back

cch24

Postby cch24 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:46 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
skolks wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:

Got an email asking me if I wanted to interview. Scheduled it and then had it. Dont know how they selected, how many they interviewed, or if they will have any more. Im still waiting to hear back

About a week after being accepted I got an email about the interview. It says that all accepted students are considered for scholarship but only some will have interviews. They told me in my interview that there would be a scholarship weekend thing the first weekend in march so I'm guessing selections will be made before then? She made it seem like the weekend was for those that received large scholarships. I'm not sure.
Last edited by cch24 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pret

Postby pret » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 am

Could visiting the school help my chances since it would show the adcom interest on my part?

ama004

Postby ama004 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:50 pm

alwayslovely wrote:
ama004 wrote:In-Review as of this morning!

When exactly did you submit? My app has been 1/5 Received and hasn't changed :(

I submitted on 1/4/12. My status checker says that my status was updated to "In Review" on 1/12, but it didn't change until 1/13. BTW, I applied to the part-time program.

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Slightly confused. Do you need to have an interview to be considered for a merit scholarship?

cch24

Postby cch24 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:01 pm

LawStudent89 wrote:Slightly confused. Do you need to have an interview to be considered for a merit scholarship?

No. The email I received said that all students are considered for scholarships whether they interview or not. The interview itself seemed to be pretty leadership focused so I'm guessing they picked interviewees based on prior leadership experience that was mentioned in your application.

These are just my guesses, however.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:16 pm

cch24 wrote:
LawStudent89 wrote:Slightly confused. Do you need to have an interview to be considered for a merit scholarship?

No. The email I received said that all students are considered for scholarships whether they interview or not. The interview itself seemed to be pretty leadership focused so I'm guessing they picked interviewees based on prior leadership experience that was mentioned in your application.

I think you misread the email.

While all applicants are considered for this scholarship program, the Committee identifies a select group of individuals to interview based on their demonstrated record of achievement. The Leadership Scholars Program provides recipients with tuition support during their law school years."

Maybe this interview process is for one scholarship program only and there is other scholarships every student is eligible, interview or not? Just a guess.

cch24

Postby cch24 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:27 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
cch24 wrote:

I think you misread the email.

While all applicants are considered for this scholarship program, the Committee identifies a select group of individuals to interview based on their demonstrated record of achievement. The Leadership Scholars Program provides recipients with tuition support during their law school years."

Maybe this interview process is for one scholarship program only and there is other scholarships every student is eligible, interview or not? Just a guess.

It could definitely be read that way, but during my interview she was pretty clear that all the money was coming from the same pot. How that's divided up, and whether there are different programs, I forgot to ask.

pret

Postby pret » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:07 am

Ever since I sent my applications I loathe weekends. Totally roadblocking my decisions!

ach24

Postby ach24 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

akua1209

Postby akua1209 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:48 pm

In review - 1/19.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:00 pm

BoSox4Life wrote:Question- Why Maryland over Wake Forest?

See my explanation of my decision-making circumstances above -- if North Carolina did end up being an option at the end, though, I don't know that I could have committed to living and going to school in Winstom-Salem. Both personally, as a lifestyle choice, and professionally, in terms of the opportunities that would be available to me as a student and after graduating. I prefer an urban setting for living and there are way more public interest and other opps where I am. I'm of the belief that every school outside of the T14 is a regional school, and I don't know that I ever would have been sold on that region, and on Wake's competitive standing in the region. No offense to anyone, it just didn't make sense for me. Clearly, though, all of this is a personal decision.

As a 2L at UMD who went to Wake for undergrad, you'll be happy you stay away from W-S as a grad student/young professional! The in-state vs. private tuition helped too.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:05 pm

ach24 wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
lrslayer wrote:hi all, just submitted. i was on the fence about baltimore for a while but have decided to give it a go.

Why so?

I was a little concerned due to having a family including a 2 year old son to worry about. There are lots of stories about crime in that city so I wasn't sure. Now I realize that just because the school isn't in the best of areas does not mean we have to live there. I would commute if the situation was right and I went there.

I have a 5 year old, so I understand the concerns. I don't live in Baltimore; I actually live out in the burbs. The public school system stinks in Baltimore, which is something you'll have to think about once Pre-K rolls around. The schools in the suburbs in central Balto. Co. are great. You may want to consider living in Howard County. You'll be close enough to Baltimore for your school, and you'll also be in one of the best school systems in the state.

We do have crime on campus. We had a shooting a couple of weeks ago in a parking garage. We also had two attempted thefts last week -- someone on a bike tried to steal cell phones in separate incidents. That said, UM's campus is the safest part of Baltimore. As a small girl, I've never felt threatened while in the confines of campus. However, I will say you have to be smart about walking about in the city -- go with a friend, watch where you are going, don't carry your cell phone openly, etc.

There are solid cities in the surrounding communities (Columbia is a 15 minute commute, MoCo is further) that present wonderful opportunities for families.

I'm assuming you mean the campus is in the nicest part of Downtown Baltimore, right? Baltimore has some good options (Fed Hill, Fells Point) for the younger crowds who enjoy the bar scene, want to walk to campus (15 min walk), and want to live in a safer area. I've been in Fed Hill for a while and love it for the price. I've never had any problems with crime either. The area around campus is pretty shitty though.

Anyone can ask questions if they want more info on the school.

pret

Postby pret » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:07 pm

How's the facility? It looks a lot like the Smith Business School from the outside.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Got my letter. In! So excited

shroeder

Postby shroeder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Got my letter of admission today. Very excited, hope my luck continues.

Dead Parrot

Postby Dead Parrot » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:32 pm

For any current students who would be able to answer this:

I'm from the eastern shore and I grew up on chicken farms so I have a different view point than many on what is going on with the environmental clinic's law suit. I don't object to their protecting the bay, it should obviously be protected, but I strongly disagree with them siding with a multi-million dollar nonprofit organization when the defendants, a single farm family (read not greedy corportation) barely make enough money to put food on the table when they don't have huge legal fees. So my question is: since the environmental clinic seams to be a big deal around campus, will I be pretty much alone on the other side of this issue, or is there other objectors as well?

ilovetonyromo

Postby ilovetonyromo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 pm

radical environmentalists are ruining this country

milljp02

Postby milljp02 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Got my letter today. In! For those already in, what comes next? All I got was the congrats letter - it says more to come at the end.

Maryland is a nice option to have, for sure.

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Dead Parrot wrote:For any current students who would be able to answer this:

I'm from the eastern shore and I grew up on chicken farms so I have a different view point than many on what is going on with the environmental clinic's law suit. I don't object to their protecting the bay, it should obviously be protected, but I strongly disagree with them siding with a multi-million dollar nonprofit organization when the defendants, a single farm family (read not greedy corportation) barely make enough money to put food on the table when they don't have huge legal fees. So my question is: since the environmental clinic seams to be a big deal around campus, will I be pretty much alone on the other side of this issue, or is there other objectors as well?

Does that mean you got accepted?

daniel751

Postby daniel751 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 am

Got my letter in today... The "congratulations" on the outside kind of kills the surprise though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”