Maryland Applicants c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CJennica

New

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Post by CJennica » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:15 am

For those with decisions, how long did it take to receive your decision after your status changed from complete to in review?

Ziiish

New

Post by Ziiish » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:42 pm

somewhere from 3-4 weeks

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:55 pm

CJennica wrote:For those with decisions, how long did it take to receive your decision after your status changed from complete to in review?
Ziiish wrote:somewhere from 3-4 weeks
I would say its all very much dependent on your numbers, softs, and the program to which you applied.

alwayslovely

New

Post by alwayslovely » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

ama004 wrote:In-Review as of this morning!
When exactly did you submit? My app has been 1/5 Received and hasn't changed :(

LawStudent89

New

Post by LawStudent89 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:39 pm

In review as of yesterday afternoon. Good news?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Status updated to decision made! Hopefully the letter gets to me quickly since I'm in Maryland : )

milljp02

Bronze

Post by milljp02 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Decision made on my status checker today. Any clue as to how I find out what that decision was?

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:08 pm

milljp02 wrote:Decision made on my status checker today. Any clue as to how I find out what that decision was?
Snail mail letter.

chickenfed

New

Post by chickenfed » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 am

still in review since 12/1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:17 am

in review as of 1/17/12

im starting to this that this process is sooo generic/automatic..kind of reminds me of ordering a pizza from dominos and seeing the status checker there..i may feel like its individuated but its really not..it just changes from one category to the next depending on the time..and I feel this is the same for Maryland..i went complete 11/17/11 and now im in review 1/17/12..my theory is that it automatically changes to in review 8 weeks after completion for most applicants.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:40 am

chickenfed wrote:still in review since 12/1
+1

BoSox4Life

New

Post by BoSox4Life » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 am

I'm currently a first-year student in the part-time program at Maryland Law, so if anyone has any questions about the school or about the law school admissions game in general (i applied to a ton of schools last year both full-time and part-time), I'm happy to give my perspective. Suffice it to say for now that I'm happy I am where I am.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 am

I hate waiting for decisions in the postal mail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blakke01

New

Post by blakke01 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 am

BoSox4Life wrote:I'm currently a first-year student in the part-time program at Maryland Law, so if anyone has any questions about the school or about the law school admissions game in general (i applied to a ton of schools last year both full-time and part-time), I'm happy to give my perspective. Suffice it to say for now that I'm happy I am where I am.
I see you applied to a variety of schools, why Maryland?

I'm interested in environmental/energy law and have heard Maryland has a great program, do you have any general insight into this area of concentration?

I've heard the surrounding area kind of sucks, but that's just been a general consensus of a few acquaintances I know who grew up in the area. Any perspective on that?

How much do you hate life as a 1L?

What's your favorite color?

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 am

BoSox4Life wrote:I'm currently a first-year student in the part-time program at Maryland Law, so if anyone has any questions about the school or about the law school admissions game in general (i applied to a ton of schools last year both full-time and part-time), I'm happy to give my perspective. Suffice it to say for now that I'm happy I am where I am.
Question- Why Maryland over Wake Forest?

I might have to make a similar choice and not sure which way I lean right now

BoSox4Life

New

Post by BoSox4Life » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:48 pm

I see you applied to a variety of schools, why Maryland?

I had a different decision-making metric than most, making my experience a little unusual: my girlfriend and I were applying to schools at the same time (she's going for an MPP), so we needed to find the right package deal in a city/school/region where we could be close. once all offers were made, our options came down to greater-NYC area, Philly, DC, or Baltimore. Baltimore ended up being the clear winner because it was the best school for me and going part-time made it financially feasible (a very underrated route, imho, that lets you continue developing your career and earning an income, essentially "creating" a scholly for myself, if you will), and she got a great offer from a great school here as well. To elabore a bit more, my total debt when I graduate from Maryland will be less than any of the other schools I could've gone to (except Brooklyn, which would've been about the same ASSUMING I kept my scholly; they have major stips) and I will continue building experience in a pretty decent job, which are both good propositions to me, in this economy. Cost of living is also way less than those other places (philly may be close), and I realized, strange as this may sound to some, that I just flat-out really like Baltimore. I should also add that even beyond the financial standpoint, Maryland is a very strong match for me in terms of its strengths in clinics and public interest opps, and along those lines, I greatly value the access to DC internships/jobs/etc. These weren't game-changers, but it also appealed to me that Maryland Law is the best law school in it's city and state (i know it's immune to competition for G-town, GW, and elsewhere, but it still helps a lot). Lastly, I visited all the schools and Maryland's facilities and general demeanor really outshone the rest -- American and Brooklyn were especially cold and drab, both in appearance and attitude, at least in my experience.

I'm interested in environmental/energy law and have heard Maryland has a great program, do you have any general insight into this area of concentration?

Nope, not a whole lot. Haven't gotten there yet, in terms of the curriculum. I do know that the Environmental Law Clinic is involved in a kind of high-profile and controversial suit right now, which I think is kinda cool – you can read all about it on the main page on the school’s website. I also know that one of the Profs here, Percival, is one of the leading experts in the field, so I think between him and the clinic that’s where the school gets it clout in this regard. You can get a Certificiate (kind of like a sub-degree) in Environmental Law if you take a prescribed curriculum. Also, the environmental law student org is one of the biggest and most popular from what I’ve seen, so certainly opportunities to collaborate and network.

I've heard the surrounding area kind of sucks, but that's just been a general consensus of a few acquaintances I know who grew up in the area. Any perspective on that?

Yea, the area just north of the campus is pretty grimy. Personally, I don’t think I would want to live in some of the campus housing for that reason. Just south of the school though is the inner harbor area with lots of nice stores, restaurants, bars, and where the Orioles and Ravens play. Also very nearby (walking distance) are city and federal courthouses, if that interests you. Baltimore is a city of neighborhoods – there are nice ones and not-so-nice ones. I’m in Mount Vernon, which I love and think is the best. Also good are Fells Point, Federal Hill, and some others. Like many cities, you just need to be cognizant of where you are. As someone who gets out of class between 830pm and 10pm every night, I’ve never had a safety issue walking around the area – but I wouldn’t want to hang around for very long either.

How much do you hate life as a 1L?

I know I’m crazy, but I like it. I particularly like the part-time set-up I have – I’ve got a great job that allows me to work from home, and it’s only about 20 hrs/wk, so I have pretty ideal flexibility and am able to balance work, school, and still have a life. And, I just simply enjoy the content and the challenge of my classes. Hopefully it stays that way, because it’s too much work if you don’t like it. I don’t know how some of my peers who work 40+ hrs in an office and have families to take care of are able to manage school part-time as well. I also think I probably have it a bit better than full-time 1Ls, since, like I said, I get to still build experience, make an income, and am not all-consumed by school. Of course, I’m more than a little biased, and always paint my own situation positively. 

What's your favorite color?

Camouflage. Obv.

BoSox4Life

New

Post by BoSox4Life » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Question- Why Maryland over Wake Forest?

See my explanation of my decision-making circumstances above -- if North Carolina did end up being an option at the end, though, I don't know that I could have committed to living and going to school in Winstom-Salem. Both personally, as a lifestyle choice, and professionally, in terms of the opportunities that would be available to me as a student and after graduating. I prefer an urban setting for living and there are way more public interest and other opps where I am. I'm of the belief that every school outside of the T14 is a regional school, and I don't know that I ever would have been sold on that region, and on Wake's competitive standing in the region. No offense to anyone, it just didn't make sense for me. Clearly, though, all of this is a personal decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blakke01

New

Post by blakke01 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Sounds like you’ve got your head on straight. Thanks for the thorough reply. I had briefly read about the controversial environmental suit, but wasn’t aware that the Governor and some professors were in an epic letter-writing battle. Now that I’ve been reading more about the case, I am realizing that my personal statement vaguely mirrors a similar controversy in Pennsylvania. Maybe that will give me a slight boost in the admissions process, who knows. I must say, Maryland gets some brownie points in my book for posting all the public documents, both condemning and supporting the law clinic. Gotta love transparency.

On another note, I agree with what you said about region being important – I keep forgetting that when I choose a law school I am most likely going to end up living in that part of the country. Great, just what I need, another layer of confusion to add to the mix.

Dead Parrot

New

Post by Dead Parrot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:24 pm

blakke01 wrote:Sounds like you’ve got your head on straight. Thanks for the thorough reply. I had briefly read about the controversial environmental suit, but wasn’t aware that the Governor and some professors were in an epic letter-writing battle. Now that I’ve been reading more about the case, I am realizing that my personal statement vaguely mirrors a similar controversy in Pennsylvania. Maybe that will give me a slight boost in the admissions process, who knows. I must say, Maryland gets some brownie points in my book for posting all the public documents, both condemning and supporting the law clinic. Gotta love transparency.

On another note, I agree with what you said about region being important – I keep forgetting that when I choose a law school I am most likely going to end up living in that part of the country. Great, just what I need, another layer of confusion to add to the mix.
I'm applying as well, but my PS will probably have the opposite effect yours will have. I'm from the Eastern shore and mentioned working on poultry farms growing up. I'm hoping the admissions people won't see that as a reason to turn me down.

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 pm

stephinmd wrote:Status updated to decision made! Hopefully the letter gets to me quickly since I'm in Maryland : )
When did your application go into review? My app just went to review and am eagerly awaiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:20 pm

pret wrote:
stephinmd wrote:Status updated to decision made! Hopefully the letter gets to me quickly since I'm in Maryland : )
When did your application go into review? My app just went to review and am eagerly awaiting.
1/9

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 am

ach24 wrote:
blakke01 wrote:Sounds like you’ve got your head on straight. Thanks for the thorough reply. I had briefly read about the controversial environmental suit, but wasn’t aware that the Governor and some professors were in an epic letter-writing battle. Now that I’ve been reading more about the case, I am realizing that my personal statement vaguely mirrors a similar controversy in Pennsylvania. Maybe that will give me a slight boost in the admissions process, who knows. I must say, Maryland gets some brownie points in my book for posting all the public documents, both condemning and supporting the law clinic. Gotta love transparency.

I can add some on the Environmental Law program. I have Percival this year for class. The Environmental Law program is ranked, and Maryland definitely prides itself on the Enviro and Health Care programs. There are a variety of ways to get involved outside of working the clinic. A few of my friends just got back from the Law Service Corp trip to Mississippi where they do work on environmental law projects.
This sounds really interesting. I hope now more than ever that the letter on its way to me is an acceptance.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Received my letter today... Accepted! :D

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:54 pm

stephinmd wrote:
Received my letter today... Accepted! :D

Congrats!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”