Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pret

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby pret » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:46 pm

While I'm disappointed that we pt waitlisters never had a shot, I'm not disappointed in the school for this. If they're booked then they're booked. I AM disappointed in them for their complete and utter lack of communication. I'm waitlisted at many other schools and Maryland's the only that's been dead silent. Going to them to get such information is futile because they just feed you a bunch of talking points. Terrible experience. If I don't have a chance, just take me off the waitlist now.

TurtleLaw03

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

pret wrote:While I'm disappointed that we pt waitlisters never had a shot, I'm not disappointed in the school for this. If they're booked then they're booked. I AM disappointed in them for their complete and utter lack of communication. I'm waitlisted at many other schools and Maryland's the only that's been dead silent. Going to them to get such information is futile because they just feed you a bunch of talking points. Terrible experience. If I don't have a chance, just take me off the waitlist now.

Pret,

I definitely understand your frustration, so let me offer this: adcomms and adcomm reps are heartless by nature. From the moment they are hired they are taught that part of their job will be to disappoint hundreds if not thousands of applicants and would-be lawyers each year. I wouldn't be surprised if part of their unspoken job description is to intentionally be heartless (e.g. failing to communicate) so that they can know who on the waitlist is truly interested when someone who is currently admitted drops for a better school. Every time they offer a spot to someone on the waitlist, the adcomm has to report this statistic to the ABA as an offer of admittance. If they offer up that spot and the waitlister turns it down for whatever reason, that's another offer/non-accept that they have to report which makes them look bad to future applicants. Their decision to be dead silent is calculated. Our job as waitlisters is to convince them that we will come no matter what. If you are close to the median numbers for PT (give or take 2 or 3 LSAT points and 2 tenths for GPA would be my rough estimate), then chances are that your admittance would not affect their bottom line numbers when someone drops so all you have to do is convince them you will come if offered a spot. It would help if you told them you were offered money at another school but that you would gladly accept a full tuition education at MD rather than a free education at any other school. Have you been e-mailing them every few weeks? Updating your resume? Reaching out to professors and students or inquiring about transfer after 1L?

I would implore you to not give up hope until the utter last minute. Position yourself so that if you were offered admission on the day of your first class at your back-up school, you could still go to MD if given the call. I have a friend who was driving a UHaul to Catholic University several years ago and just as he was parking in DC to unload his furniture, he got a call offering up a spot in the FT program. This was one day before his orientation at Catholic. He literally turned around the UHaul without getting out of the driver's seat. MD will tell you this is possible, and I am a second-hand source that this is absolutely true. If you are dead-set on MD, you should position yourself so that you are able to transfer after 1L at your back-up (though common sense would recommend against attending any school you would not be satisfied graduating from). I'm sure 100 people have told you to consider a retake (esp on this blog) but I'm sure there's no way of convincing you to do this since you're still posting in this forum. I maxed out too so we're probably in the same boat, only I'm FT.

Disclaimer: I'm not an adcomm rep. I get my info from other law school blogs as well as a few outside sources who have gone through this process.

TurtleLaw03

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm

ford2city wrote:So I'm thinking about doing the healthcare law program. Is it as good as the U.S News hype makes it seem?

So I've been researching this a lot lately. I started by asking myself, "What will you be able to do with a health law certificate from UMB?" I thought that maybe you could use the certificate during an interview at a hospital as proof that you are committed to health law, or maybe it could help you look good when applying to a federal health-related agency like NIH or FDA or even DoJ if you want to prosecute healthcare fraud, or maybe it would even give you some extra knowledge if you hang your own shingle and open a malpractice firm. But when you think about it, a majority of UMB grads will end up working in Maryland no matter what and their grades will trump specialty areas almost all of the time when competing for a job. So if you have two UMB grads competing for a health law slot at NIH - one who is top 10% but not in the health concentration and one who is top 30% but has a health law certificate - the top 10% grad will get the job regardless. It seems like a great marketing tool, and if you are truly interested in health law then I would say you should pursue it. You should know in advance though that it probably won't help you land a job when you graduate, at least not as much as having good overall grades. On the other hand, I spoke at length with two girls who were part of the certificate program - one that I randomly met in a bar and another who is the wife of one of my friends - and they both said it was an all-round great experience that they loved.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:32 am

Sounds about right for most certificates. Although it won't help you get the interview, it may help you get a job after grades get your foot in the door.

paxoom87

Postby paxoom87 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:43 am

This is my first post in this forum, but I wanted to let those of you still waiting it out on the waitlist not to give up hope. I was contacted by the admissions office yesterday by email and they requested that I call them. I immediately picked up the phone and spoke to admissions and they offered me admission on the spot!!! I'm currently waiting for my information packet which is to be sent to me sometime this morning.

T14HopefulAK

Postby T14HopefulAK » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Does anyone know if there are any graduate assistantship opportunities available to law students?

TurtleLaw03

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:20 pm

paxoom87 wrote:This is my first post in this forum, but I wanted to let those of you still waiting it out on the waitlist not to give up hope. I was contacted by the admissions office yesterday by email and they requested that I call them. I immediately picked up the phone and spoke to admissions and they offered me admission on the spot!!! I'm currently waiting for my information packet which is to be sent to me sometime this morning.

Hi paxoom,

I just sent you a personal message. Do you know how to check them??

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Has anyone contacted UMB recently? Did they have any updates on waitlist size, seats available, etc?

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 am

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:18 am

Intranetusa wrote:Has anyone contacted UMB recently? Did they have any updates on waitlist size, seats available, etc?

Just called UMB a few minutes ago. No movement on my file, just yet... :?
The Admissions officer noted my continued interest for the Fall 2012 semester and let me know that the final email will be coming out "shortly".
She explained that the email would be informaing students that they are releasing the waitlist and that they have the choice to remain on the waitlist for "last minute spots". She said that she couldnt tell me how many people were on the waitlist. And as of now there are no available seats; when seats open up the students chosen to fill them will recieve a call "shortly" .Hope this helps.

*Only asked about Full Time

Classes start Aug 22nd so It is my hope that we will all have a decision by Monday. Good Luck

sobo2012

Postby sobo2012 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:36 pm

I called today and asked specifically about the part-time folks... Apparently, everyone is on the same boat. I was told that they are still evaluating the class to see if there are any available slots, but we also should be expecting an email releasing the waitlist (no specific time frame). Of course, there is always the possibility that a few last minute slots could be available, so there is always still hope! :)

Good luck everyone!

pret

Postby pret » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:24 pm

FML.

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:16 am

FOL

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:51 am

Intranetusa wrote:FOL

:(

T14HopefulAK

Postby T14HopefulAK » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:
HLS1848 wrote:Just got off the waitlist, but decided to withdraw and will be attending CU-Boulder. So there should be at least one spot open. It seems like they're looking for a GPA boost at this point (156/3.73). Don't give up hope just yet. However, I've been told their money pot is fresh out of dough.

Best of luck to you all.

Good luck at CU! I am about 90% sure I will be withdrawing. I should be dumping a bit of money back into the pot. I am going to make my decision before August. Looks like I will be retaking the LSAT.

Did you withdraw already? or are you deciding to stay?

mach102

Postby mach102 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Hey guys. Sections are now in! I'm in Section G, anyone else in G ?

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:25 pm

After weighing my options I have decided to attend. My grant was increased so I won't have to pay anything at all. I still have reservations regarding the city and the employment numbers, but I am looking forward to giving Maryland my best and see what happens.

The people in the class seem like really good peeps! I am sure it will be good times and hard work.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Glad to hear it. I really think you will come to enjoy Baltimore, its very geared towards young professionals and grad students.

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sobo2012

Postby sobo2012 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I called again today. I asked about my status and they said there was no change. I asked about the waitlist being released and they were silent on the subject... The only other piece of info I got out of them was an off the cuff remark that it seemed to them that each day someone else was giving up their deposit.

Bottom line - Sounds like they are still trying to fill seats in the class. Good luck everyone!

sobo2012

Postby sobo2012 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:59 pm

And for all the part-time waitlisters... Looks like there was some movement. Law School Numbers is showing someone with a 153 LSAT being accepted off the waitlist today.

dman12

Postby dman12 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Welp that man on LSN is me. I got the phone call this AM. I sent multiple LOCI with extra recommendations from a current and former graduate of the school. I also spoke with a teacher from a clinic that I was really excited about and made another visit to the school just to express my interest. I guess it all paid off. Super excited and relieved. See you all in the fall.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:52 pm

dman12 wrote:Welp that man on LSN is me. I got the phone call this AM. I sent multiple LOCI with extra recommendations from a current and former graduate of the school. I also spoke with a teacher from a clinic that I was really excited about and made another visit to the school just to express my interest. I guess it all paid off. Super excited and relieved. See you all in the fall.

congrats!

sobo2012

Postby sobo2012 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:03 pm

dman12 wrote:Welp that man on LSN is me. I got the phone call this AM. I sent multiple LOCI with extra recommendations from a current and former graduate of the school. I also spoke with a teacher from a clinic that I was really excited about and made another visit to the school just to express my interest. I guess it all paid off. Super excited and relieved. See you all in the fall.

Congrats!

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Are there any current students posting in this thread?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”