Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Intranetusa

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Intranetusa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:56 pm

Overall, it is up to where you want to work. Unless you graduate at the top of your class in one of the top ranked programs, you'll be limited to Baltimore and Mid-Atlantic region. DC is also a possibility but you get a lot of competition from DC law schools such as American U & Catholic U, and better ranked law schools such as Georgetown, George Mason, and George Washington University Law. For that reason, my belief is that the majority of UMD grads will just find jobs in Baltimore or in Maryland.

If you want to live in MD, UMD law is good for you.

dasfury

Postby dasfury » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 am

Might be one less on the PT Waitlist soon. I will probably end my wait with UM since i just paid tuition at UB.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:09 am

h2oplyer7 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:Well, I am going to the ASD tomorrow. I am going to ask some hard questions. Maybe I will see some of you there.

So how'd it go?

I am torn more now than ever. I think UMD is a good school, but the area and jobs report make me nervous. I walked around the campus today, and I was amazed that most of the people around were not students. The people make me nervous. Being told that I should not have a cell phone out when I walk around campus or I might get mugged is pretty pathetic. If it is that dangerous they should close off the campus. Also, the facilities are only ok. To be honest, it sorta reminds me of Loyola Chicago, except LC is far nicer.

At this time, I am still not sure if I am going to go or not. I don't have any more options, so I will make up my mind in two weeks.

You realize it's summer right? The vast majority of students in all the schools are not around right now so it's only natural that you'd see more regular people than students. The only people who are in school right now are those taking summer school and doing clinic, and though there's a fair number, it's not nearly representative of the number of total students that will be around in the fall. Also yes, it's in downtown Baltimore, the city that never misses a spot on any top 10 most dangerous cities list. But practice your street smarts and you'll be just fine. You won't just get mugged in broad daylight around campus if you're not stupid, but if you're roaming the streets at night with an iphone out and some bling on your wrist and neck and females showing some more skin than they should out in public while walking ALONE, then yea you're not being SMART and should probably not live in Baltimore. It's simple as that. Living here is not for the weak, but so is doing well in law school.

Good luck on your decision.

sobo2012

Postby sobo2012 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:24 pm

dasfury wrote:Might be one less on the PT Waitlist soon. I will probably end my wait with UM since i just paid tuition at UB.

Hey! Congrats on UB! UB grads are well represented in the area and they have a good alumni network.

sobo2012

Postby sobo2012 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:Well, I am going to the ASD tomorrow. I am going to ask some hard questions. Maybe I will see some of you there.

So how'd it go?

I am torn more now than ever. I think UMD is a good school, but the area and jobs report make me nervous. I walked around the campus today, and I was amazed that most of the people around were not students. The people make me nervous. Being told that I should not have a cell phone out when I walk around campus or I might get mugged is pretty pathetic. If it is that dangerous they should close off the campus. Also, the facilities are only ok. To be honest, it sorta reminds me of Loyola Chicago, except LC is far nicer.

At this time, I am still not sure if I am going to go or not. I don't have any more options, so I will make up my mind in two weeks.

Well, based on your observations it sounds like Florida might be the better choice for you if that's still an option. I'd go with your gut feeling... Good luck on your decision!

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 pm

don't forget the vacants!Image
--ImageRemoved--

eta: in the first picture, you can see the lovely red/white X's on the doors - those are so the baltimore fire department know those houses are structurally unsound and to only fight fires from the outside.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 pm

and, a few pictures from nice areas in the city:
fort mchenry (while you should pay to get into the historical part, the surrounding park is free)
washington monument (in Mt. Vernon)
--ImageRemoved--
34th street in Hampden
painted houses in charles village
baseball! (where the cheap seats are actually cheap)
duckpin bowling
moorish tower in druid hill park
elvis is alive and well in canton
--ImageRemoved--
just where you wanted to go for a dueling piano bar
Last edited by HellOnHeels on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:51 pm

lol....love the duckpin bowling inclusion.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:56 pm

taxnstuff wrote:lol....love the duckpin bowling inclusion.

ha, when i moved here and went bowling, i was like 'what are those cute little pins for?!?!'. i'd never heard of duckpin bowling!

dasfury

Postby dasfury » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks sobo! I know quite a few people that have attended UB (young and old) and have been in Balti nearly my entire life.

aciv03

Postby aciv03 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Just got in of wait list for full time program!! See you all in the fall. Good luck to other wait list! Hang in there and keep up the wait. It's worth it!

dman12

Postby dman12 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:27 pm

aciv03 wrote:Just got in of wait list for full time program!! See you all in the fall. Good luck to other wait list! Hang in there and keep up the wait. It's worth it!

Congrats!!! What were your numbers, if you don't mind me asking?

pret

Postby pret » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:32 pm

The waitlist for the pt program should be killed the DEADLIST. There has been NO movement for the pt program, none whatsoever. I'm watching my application for admission die a slow and painful death.

ama004

Postby ama004 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:02 am

pret wrote:The waitlist for the pt program should be killed the DEADLIST. There has been NO movement for the pt program, none whatsoever. I'm watching my application for admission die a slow and painful death.

+1

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 am

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:40 am

ford2city wrote:So I'm thinking about doing the healthcare law program. Is it as good as the U.S News hype makes it seem?

I'm sure it's good...but the real question is: Can you actually find jobs in ______ area of study? Do you enjoy studying ______ ?

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

HLS1848

Postby HLS1848 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Just got off the waitlist, but decided to withdraw and will be attending CU-Boulder. So there should be at least one spot open. It seems like they're looking for a GPA boost at this point (156/3.73). Don't give up hope just yet. However, I've been told their money pot is fresh out of dough.

Best of luck to you all.

jmtyner11

Postby jmtyner11 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:50 pm

To all those still hoping on the waitlist...I spoke with a counselor today and she said the committee is still reviewing applications but there really hasn't been much movement as of late. Still gonna keep my fingers crossed though.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:27 pm

HLS1848 wrote:Just got off the waitlist, but decided to withdraw and will be attending CU-Boulder. So there should be at least one spot open. It seems like they're looking for a GPA boost at this point (156/3.73). Don't give up hope just yet. However, I've been told their money pot is fresh out of dough.

Best of luck to you all.

Good luck at CU! I am about 90% sure I will be withdrawing. I should be dumping a bit of money back into the pot. I am going to make my decision before August. Looks like I will be retaking the LSAT.

Wyse

Postby Wyse » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Called today. Class is full but they are expecting some people to drop. They will be releasing some people from the waitlist during the next two weeks. I am on a couple of waitlist where I have seen that happen but haven't been released yet. Would almost be better to be released from one instead of going through the anxiety associated with the wait.

pret

Postby pret » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:14 pm

PT waitlist still hasn't experienced any movement whatsoever. It sucks because it feels like I never had a fighting chance once I was waitlisted, doomed from the get go.

I called University of Baltimore to get a couple of answers and it was a train wreck. Nobody had answers, I was being directed back and forth, the people on the phone had attitudes and I was even hung up on. Please MARYLAND, ANSWER MY PRAYERS!

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:41 pm

pret wrote:PT waitlist still hasn't experienced any movement whatsoever. It sucks because it feels like I never had a fighting chance once I was waitlisted, doomed from the get go.

I called University of Baltimore to get a couple of answers and it was a train wreck. Nobody had answers, I was being directed back and forth, the people on the phone had attitudes and I was even hung up on. Please MARYLAND, ANSWER MY PRAYERS!

You must have had a bad experience with the University of Baltimore. Every time I have called them the people have been so nice and helpful. Maybe you just got a person who was having a bad day or something.

lawyer211

Postby lawyer211 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm

I called today as well. And along with the expected statements of still being interested and comments about UMD still remaining my #1 choice, I received much of the same info about the school beginning to release people off the waitlist. I'm super frustrated to say the very least as I feel like I never had a chance once the waitlist emails went out in April. I mean I knew it was going to be a fight with the wait and the probability of making it into a slot out of 50 compared to the 200ish for the full time program, but I thought that at least there would be some movement, or else why have a waitlist at all?!

I guess I will now be awaiting the inevitable rejection email in the next couple weeks. :cry:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”