Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mandi

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby Mandi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Anyone know if there is a Facebook page for incoming students? The other school I was thinking of attending had one and it was a very good source of information for incoming students and allowed students to connect about housing, books, parking, carpools and ect.

Thanks

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:19 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MarylandCarey2015/

Anyone else have a really bad feeling about Maryland's employment statistics?

I hate to say this but I am having second thoughts...again.

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Last edited by ford2city on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:43 pm

ford2city wrote:Data from one year does not constitute a trend. Anyone know how to they accept you for the facebook group because my facebook name is ridiculous and I highly doubt they will believe I actually got accepted.

The admissions office lets you in, as they are the admins of the page. If your FB name doesn't match up to your real name, maybe call and or email them :)

Mandi

Postby Mandi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:35 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/MarylandCarey2015/

I think that most law school employment data is probably low from last year because our country is in a huge recession. We have 3 years before we have to worry about the economy. There is no way to say that data from one year or even two in the cuurrent economy can determine any kind of trend or long term outlook.

T14HopefulAK

Postby T14HopefulAK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 am

h2oplyer7 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/MarylandCarey2015/

Same here! :?

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 am

Well, I am going to the ASD tomorrow. I am going to ask some hard questions. Maybe I will see some of you there.

dman12

Postby dman12 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:15 am

h2oplyer7 wrote:Well, I am going to the ASD tomorrow. I am going to ask some hard questions. Maybe I will see some of you there.

So your decision to withdraw and retake the LSAT isn't set in stone, I'm guessing?

mach102

Postby mach102 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:10 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Well, I am going to the ASD tomorrow. I am going to ask some hard questions. Maybe I will see some of you there.

I wanted to attend but after visiting this past wknd, I don't feel like making another 4hr drive from NYC to Baltimore. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully they cover a lot on employment.

I was a little concerned about the employment stats at first also, but after speaking with some UM Law Alums at my job (top 10 in NYC), I felt great. We have well over 30 UM law Alums, all making 120K and over. The Alumni network is strong. I would urge ppl to look at good employment stats from NALP.org, and not those shady websites. But UM does push public interest law a lot, so the starting salary numbers might not seem as high.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Mach, out of curiosity did your NYC alumns seem to give the impression that UM has a presence in NYC? I have no intentions of going to NYC but you have piqued my interest. Also, I've always thought UM was Maryland/DC/DE or nothing.

mach102

Postby mach102 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:46 pm

taxnstuff wrote:Mach, out of curiosity did your NYC alumns seem to give the impression that UM has a presence in NYC? I have no intentions of going to NYC but you have piqued my interest. Also, I've always thought UM was Maryland/DC/DE or nothing.

Maryland is strong in the MD,DC, DE areas for sure. Most of our alumns were on the trial team, they are very strong litigators, specializing in various areas of the law. 6-8 told me they didn't find it that hard to land a job in NY because they had connections to NY, either they attend college in NY or lived in NY. I was told We hire mostly strong litigators from UM. However, UM's Env & health law programs are nationally recognized, and specializing in these areas will surely land you a job beyond the southeast region.

Class2015

Postby Class2015 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 pm

Recommendations on where to eat breakfast near the school?

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:10 am

I am staying at the Renaissance at the Inner Harbor and I hear there are some good places down here. I just went across the street to the Subway and the security guard was telling me about some good places. He also told me not to go out at night. haha

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 am

Class2015 wrote:Recommendations on where to eat breakfast near the school?

well, there is a panera bread about a block away from the school.

for lunch, it's not right near the school, but I would recommend Sugarbee's (it's beside the courthouse). Yummy pot-pies :mrgreen: SO also recommends a place near his work called Maisy's. It's on Charles Street.
http://sugarbeescafe.com/
http://maisysbaltimore.com/

You could also look up where the food trucks are today, and see if any are nearby.
Baltimore food truck finder :P
http://data.baltimoresun.com/food-truck-finder/

ETA: It looks like there are two near the law school today. They're usually only around for lunch.

dasfury

Postby dasfury » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:58 am

Breakfast...
Take a cab to the Paper Moon Diner near Hopkins. Worth every penny. Or head down to Fed Hill and go to Spoons on Cross Street or Metropolitan on Charles.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:59 am

better off walking to the inner harbor and getting potbellies or chipotle for lunch, they are quick. If you are very adventurous Ra sushi in harbor east is my favorite.

EDIT - oops you said breakfast. oh well.
Last edited by taxnstuff on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:01 am

the above suggestions work too. I just don't like to wait for my food.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:44 pm

So how'd it go?

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:33 pm

ford2city

Postby ford2city » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:48 pm

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:52 pm

guess you'll just have to make time for all that good music :P

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 pm

stephinmd wrote:

So how'd it go?

I am torn more now than ever. I think UMD is a good school, but the area and jobs report make me nervous. I walked around the campus today, and I was amazed that most of the people around were not students. The people make me nervous. Being told that I should not have a cell phone out when I walk around campus or I might get mugged is pretty pathetic. If it is that dangerous they should close off the campus. Also, the facilities are only ok. To be honest, it sorta reminds me of Loyola Chicago, except LC is far nicer.

At this time, I am still not sure if I am going to go or not. I don't have any more options, so I will make up my mind in two weeks.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:29 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:

So how'd it go?

I am torn more now than ever. I think UMD is a good school, but the area and jobs report make me nervous. I walked around the campus today, and I was amazed that most of the people around were not students. The people make me nervous. Being told that I should not have a cell phone out when I walk around campus or I might get mugged is pretty pathetic. If it is that dangerous they should close off the campus. Also, the facilities are only ok. To be honest, it sorta reminds me of Loyola Chicago, except LC is far nicer.

At this time, I am still not sure if I am going to go or not. I don't have any more options, so I will make up my mind in two weeks.

The UMD campus is not a true campus, like an undergrad campus would be. It's in the middle of the city, there's the VA Medical Center and the Maryland Medical Center, so all the patients, visitors, and staff that goes along with them. There's the Lexington Street Market, and so all those people are walking around. You can't just close off the campus. And you shouldn't walk around with a cell phone out and not paying attention to your surrounds in ANY big city.

It sounds like you're not sold on UMD and I'm not sure what's going to convince you one way or the other. Tough decision.

TurtleLaw03

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:39 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:
stephinmd wrote:

So how'd it go?

Dude, go. I'm not sure what your other options are, but if you're considering loyola chicago you should keep in mind that they compete with UChicago, Northwestern, and Univ Illinois Urbana for regional jobs - all of which have higher admissions criteria than UMB. Not to mention every other T14 grad who wants to live in Chicago, which is a rad place to live. Who cares about the seediness of the area? If you can't handle life in an urban atmosphere then you shouldn't be a lawyer. UMB has other advantages too. Apparently they do okay in DC and the Maryland economy isn't that bad considering the heavy presence of federal government in surrounding areas. Think about contract disputes with DoD agencies - clients galore. Can't believe I'm trying to convince you to stay since I would benefit from your withdrawal (on waitlist) but it's a good school and an urban feel should be more of an attraction than anything else.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:56 pm

most law schools are not campuses. You don't leave ever leave the law building really (classrooms and library). I really don't think you are going to be wandering around campus by yourself at night blatantly waving your phone around while not paying attention to your surroundings.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”