Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TurtleLaw03

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm

sobo2012 wrote:Just as an FYI... I found it interesting that American is still accepting applicants for part-time and full-time admission in 2012.

Maybe they haven't hit their quota for LSAT/GPA median. God forbid they fall a few rankings in USNWR.

TurtleLaw03

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:59 pm

pret wrote:
lawyer211 wrote:I called admissions yesterday, and the lady sounded just as clueless as we feel. She said we probably won't have to wait for a final decision up until classes start, but it is probable it will be a while. She also said that they don't know anything until the admissions committee decides to start taking more people. She said to be patient...

I don't want to be patient anymore. Hopefully you guys are right in that there will be some movement soon.

I know exactly how you feel with the nice but clueless lady over the phone. Maybe they're not getting to us because they don't know how to work the waitlist :P

You almost gotta feel bad for adcomm reps because they have to answer for the decisions of the selecting officials. The responses I've gotten when talking to them have always been pretty cut and dry. By now I'm pretty sure they're just waiting for admitted 0Ls to withdraw their apps for whatever reason (offered admission to another school, deferring a year to save $$$, etc.), and if nobody drops, they'll have their 1L class. The application has been closed for a few months now and I'm pretty sure that just about all 2nd seat deposits are past due so they should have a pretty good idea of where they stand. I always like to browse the Gtown and GW c/o 2015 threads b/c it's a good bet that some of the posters who are waitlisted there are using UMB as a safety. If you look at LSN or read Princeton Review, most UMB applicants with high LSAT scores also apply to Gtown and GW.

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:42 am

Does anyone know if you can use the FAFSA aid of one school for another school?

ie. If you got 20k in Federal loans from a school in Virginia, can you go to a school in Maryland and use those Federal loans?

TurtleLaw03

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:15 am

Intranetusa wrote:Does anyone know if you can use the FAFSA aid of one school for another school?

ie. If you got 20k in Federal loans from a school in Virginia, can you go to a school in Maryland and use those Federal loans?

It might be a good idea to call Maryland's financial aid office and ask about this one. Just ask what the financial aid procedures are if you're offered admission on the day of orientation.

legalybrunette

Postby legalybrunette » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:58 pm

I believe you can use the same amount of federal stafford loans for any school. I think the amount of Plus loans changes depending on the cost of attendance of a school.

blurose

Postby blurose » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 am

If it's any consolation I withdrew a few days ago. I hope that helps one of you.

dman12

Postby dman12 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks bluerose.

I was browsing the Georgetown thread just to get an idea of what type of correspondence their waitlisters received from the office of admissions. Here's a sample.

"Dear XXX,

I hope this email finds you well and enjoying summer. I’m writing today to once again update you on Georgetown’s wait list situation.

The response to our second deposit deadline last week was very strong and we ended up admitting only a very few students.  You continue to be part of a group to whom we will turn should any spaces become available. We promise to continue to update you with news as we closely watch the class.  It is possible that our updates could just be to tell you there’s nothing new to report.  But, we do want to keep communicating with you to let you know what’s happening on our end just the same.  We promise you a much more definitive answer by June 25th at the latest.

As always, I thank you for your patience and interest in Georgetown, and wish you a terrific summer.

Best,

Andy

Andrew Cornblatt
Dean of Admissions
Georgetown Law"

Now that may not be the best news to hear but at least it's some news. Come on Maryland...say something to us...anything!

pret

Postby pret » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:29 pm

URichmond just sent me an email like that. Cardozo keeps us posted as well.

h2oplyer7

Postby h2oplyer7 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:44 pm

I am going to withdraw tomorrow. Maybe that will help some of you full-timers out. :)

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm

I haven't heard a single peep, call, or email from Maryland since the first waitlist email. Comeon Maryland...at least have the decency to say SOMETHING...

Mexican22

Postby Mexican22 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Hello,

I just got taken off the wait list and have been accepted. I got a 145 on my LSAT, however, have a 4.16 LSAC GPA. Good luck to all of you who have been waiting!

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Mexican22 wrote:Hello,

I just got taken off the wait list and have been accepted. I got a 145 on my LSAT, however, have a 4.16 LSAC GPA. Good luck to all of you who have been waiting!

Why on earth didn't you retake? With your GPA you can get in to a T14 with a halfway decent LSAT

Mexican22

Postby Mexican22 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:49 pm

I did not retake for a number of reasons (i.e. financial, time constraints, and personal reasons). I am happy I got in into a tier 1 law school and that things are falling into place :)

Bgard008

Postby Bgard008 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Movement! Hallelujah!! :P :lol: :shock:

Congratulations Mexican22. Hope to see you on campus soon.

dasfury

Postby dasfury » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Congrats Mexican22! You should probably defer or withdraw for the rest of us. :D

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Wow, congratz!

Below average LSAT but excellent GPA. Did you have a great personal statement or rec letters to go with it?

Does this mean Maryland is looking for high GPA-ers on their waitlist?

dman12

Postby dman12 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Well if Mexican22 isn't the same as fallon718 on LSN then it looks like intranet's analysis could be correct as her LSAT was low...but the GPA is high. Like bgard008 said Movement!! HALLELUJAH!! Hopefully that means they will be making rounds to the rest of us.

Intranetusa

Postby Intranetusa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:40 pm

dman12 wrote:Well if Mexican22 isn't the same as fallon718 on LSN then it looks like intranet's analysis could be correct as her LSAT was low...but the GPA is high. Like bgard008 said Movement!! HALLELUJAH!! Hopefully that means they will be making rounds to the rest of us.

My GPA is slightly below the 25% percentile but my LSAT is near the median. If they're only taking high GPAers then I'm screwed... :shock:

I prey that Fallon718U withdraws if he/she isn't a Maryland resident...

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Dude, you seriously need to retake the LSAT and go to Harvard. You're really selling yourself short on this one.

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:51 am

Look, I know this is absolutely none of my business. Far be it from me to judge you for your choices, especially since I've gotten flack about mine. You got into U of M which is what you wanted, so that's fantastic in and of itself. However, I will just say this: I would do almost anything to go back in time and get the 4.0 you have so that I could be going to HYSCCN like you will in a year. All I had to work with was the LSAT. For you, the four years of suffering to get that 4.0 are done. Don't throw all that away because you don't want to waste a year by putting off law school or you're a bad standardized test taker, or your parents will kill you for putting this off, or your fiance will hate you for delaying your life together for a year, or you don't have a job or anything else viable lined up and you just really want to get this over with. Really, don't. You're selling yourself so so short. Any benefit of going now is going to be far outweighed by the hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra income you will earn over your lifetime. Especially in this economy, the opportunity cost of delaying by a year really can't be much. /rant

pret

Postby pret » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:57 am

No movement for the pt waitlist still?

TurtleLaw03

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:24 am

blurose wrote:

Look, I know this is absolutely none of my business. Far be it from me to judge you for your choices, especially since I've gotten flack about mine. You got into U of M which is what you wanted, so that's fantastic in and of itself. However, I will just say this: I would do almost anything to go back in time and get the 4.0 you have so that I could be going to HYSCCN like you will in a year. All I had to work with was the LSAT. For you, the four years of suffering to get that 4.0 are done. Don't throw all that away because you don't want to waste a year by putting off law school or you're a bad standardized test taker, or your parents will kill you for putting this off, or your fiance will hate you for delaying your life together for a year, or you don't have a job or anything else viable lined up and you just really want to get this over with. Really, don't. You're selling yourself so so short. Any benefit of going now is going to be far outweighed by the hundreds of thousands of dollars in extra income you will earn over your lifetime. Especially in this economy, the opportunity cost of delaying by a year really can't be much. /rant

Sometimes I have trouble gauging the credibility of a lot of the posts on this website. It seems as if some people make comments in these forums with the sole purpose of sparking controversial discussion about sensitive admissions issues. Look at Mexican22's profile - it was created yesterday and only has 2 posts. Moreover, he (or she - can't really tell if M or F by the posts) chose to post only after being accepted - almost as if it was a smack in the face of waitlisters who have higher LSAT scores. Why would someone do that? I'm not saying it isn't possible that UMB admitted someone with a 145 LSAT, but it just seems a little fishy. I've noticed similar trends in other threads from various users on both this website and LSN. If Mexican22 truly was accepted then he/she has my sincerest congratulations. UMB is an excellent school with excellent programs and professors. But I'm also saying that we should all be careful when using TLS - I'm not saying that it's not a valuable resource - you truly can get some great info here. But after all is said and done it's still an unofficial internet website and there are people out there who make asinine claims for their own twisted amusement.

ama004

Postby ama004 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:43 am

pret wrote:No movement for the pt waitlist still?

Not that I know of; it isn't looking good... :cry:

Mexican22

Postby Mexican22 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm

I am very much real. I only created my account yesterday because that is the day I got taken off the wait list and I wanted to update other wait listed individuals. I know that if I were still wait listed I would want constant updates about the process. In fact, I bet you will easily spot me on campus this fall. I will be one of the few Mexicans there. Lol. But alas, I have nothing to prove to a bunch of strangers on the internet. I genuinely wish you guys all the best of luck!
Last edited by Mexican22 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diceman102

Postby Diceman102 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Did anyone on the waitlist receive an e-mail asking for you to give them a call so as to discuss the status of your application? Not sure if this is good or bad news.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”