Maryland Applicants c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apslaw1031

New

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Post by apslaw1031 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:47 pm

stephinmd wrote:I'd much rather see z0rk, pret, and ama at Maryland, because I'd rather have classmates that really want to be there, instead of someone I have to convince to be there (that same someone who posted in a bunch of different school threads the exact same post, just changing the school name) :P
+1

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Indeed, Maryland is not my top choice either, but I would be thrilled to go to Maryland if I end up not getting off the waitlist at Notre Dame. I think you should have phrased your comment like this. Maryland is on my shortlist of five schools I am very much interested in. Spring will be a fun time to checking out all the schools and then deciding which one will be the best fit.

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:09 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:Indeed, Maryland is not my top choice either, but I would be thrilled to go to Maryland if I end up not getting off the waitlist at Notre Dame. I think you should have phrased your comment like this. Maryland is on my shortlist of five schools I am very much interested in. Spring will be a fun time to checking out all the schools and then deciding which one will be the best fit.
This. Pretend I said this.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:49 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:Indeed, Maryland is not my top choice either, but I would be thrilled to go to Maryland if I end up not getting off the waitlist at Notre Dame. I think you should have phrased your comment like this. Maryland is on my shortlist of five schools I am very much interested in. Spring will be a fun time to checking out all the schools and then deciding which one will be the best fit.
Dude, you just keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:03 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
tallgaloot wrote:
Dude, you just keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper.
+1, seriously.

Please stop. How naive do you think we are? By the sound of your initial inquiry it sounds like you already made up your mind, you flat out stated you are going to withdraw from UMD. You have approached this conversation with no tact and little respect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:19 pm

z0rk wrote:
+1, seriously.

Please stop. How naive do you think we are? By the sound of your initial inquiry it sounds like you already made up your mind, you flat out stated you are going to withdraw from UMD. You have approached this conversation with no tact and little respect.
Let me put this as honestly as I can. I applied to UMD because I was interested in the school, but didn't know much about it. I got rejected from most of my reach schools and have not heard back from the others. Now, I'm looking through the schools I'm interested in and been accepted to (about 5 of them), UMD being one of them. Again in honesty, I am leaning away from UMD and towards 2 other schools from what my initial inspection has told me. And then I thought to myself, "Self, why don't you ask the nice students at UMD why you should go there instead of the other schools you are considering. Perhaps they have something else to add to your considerations." I placed a similar message on the other schools pages I was considering to get a broad base of information from students at different schools. I didn't think anybody would care that I did this, I'm just trying to understand what is offered at all the schools I'm looking at. Yes, I have looked at the school's websites, Yes, I have talked to admissions officers, yes I am going to visit schools. But they all say the same thing. "Come here!" So, I was hoping current students (who do frequent these boards) and 0L's who are excited about going to UMD would give me some help to understand why UMD would be a top pick. UMD is a good school! I understand that. I realize that perhaps my initial message lacked tact, but I did not anticipate such anger and animosity from prospective and WL'd students. I apologize. My initial message should have been worded differently such as, "What does UMD offer in ways of someone considering X, Y, and Z? How about in comparison to schools X and Y?" I have in no way "made up my mind" and have not decided against any schools for sure yet. But, I am simply flabbergasted by the reception I have recieved on this board when all I am trying to do is gain an understanding about UMD and what it has to offer. I apologize for any lack of respect you feel I used in my messages, it was certainly not intentional. I tried to be honest about where I was in my decision making process, I was not anticipating such anger. Sorry again and I hope this explains more.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
z0rk wrote:
+1, seriously.

Let me put this as honestly as I can. I applied to UMD because I was interested in the school, but didn't know much about it. I got rejected from most of my reach schools and have not heard back from the others. Now, I'm looking through the schools I'm interested in and been accepted to (about 5 of them), UMD being one of them. Again in honesty, I am leaning away from UMD and towards 2 other schools from what my initial inspection has told me. And then I thought to myself, "Self, why don't you ask the nice students at UMD why you should go there instead of the other schools you are considering. Perhaps they have something else to add to your considerations." I placed a similar message on the other schools pages I was considering to get a broad base of information from students at different schools. I didn't think anybody would care that I did this, I'm just trying to understand what is offered at all the schools I'm looking at. Yes, I have looked at the school's websites, Yes, I have talked to admissions officers, yes I am going to visit schools. But they all say the same thing. "Come here!" So, I was hoping current students (who do frequent these boards) and 0L's who are excited about going to UMD would give me some help to understand why UMD would be a top pick. UMD is a good school! I understand that. I realize that perhaps my initial message lacked tact, but I did not anticipate such anger and animosity from prospective and WL'd students. I apologize. My initial message should have been worded differently such as, "What does UMD offer in ways of someone considering X, Y, and Z? How about in comparison to schools X and Y?" I have in no way "made up my mind" and have not decided against any schools for sure yet. But, I am simply flabbergasted by the reception I have recieved on this board when all I am trying to do is gain an understanding about UMD and what it has to offer. I apologize for any lack of respect you feel I used in my messages, it was certainly not intentional. I tried to be honest about where I was in my decision making process, I was not anticipating such anger. Sorry again and I hope this explains more.
Pick a school in the market you want to work in. This is especially the case since you aren't aiming for biglaw. If you want to be close to your family, then pick the school that is the closest to them. It's good that you are looking past what the schools are telling you, and trying to figure out what school will be the best for you. However, you are asking 0L's (someone who isn't even attending the school yet) to convince you why to attend a school. How do you expect us to react?

Is there a specific question you have about the school? That might be more manageable to answer, rather than a whole 'well let me convince this person who I do not know why this is the right school for them'.

tallgaloot

New

Post by tallgaloot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 pm

stephinmd wrote: Pick a school in the market you want to work in. This is especially the case since you aren't aiming for biglaw. If you want to be close to your family, then pick the school that is the closest to them. It's good that you are looking past what the schools are telling you, and trying to figure out what school will be the best for you. However, you are asking 0L's (someone who isn't even attending the school yet) to convince you why to attend a school. How do you expect us to react?

Is there a specific question you have about the school? That might be more manageable to answer, rather than a whole 'well let me convince this person who I do not know why this is the right school for them'.
I can appreciate that. How is UMD in respect to public interest law/clinics?

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:21 am

What's the consensus on Dean Phoebe Haddon?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm not holding out much hope of an acceptance, and it's my own fault. I waited to apply until the last minute and I'm a pretty extreme splitter (2.7, 169).

I'm guessing it'll come down to the mix they get with seat deposits in whether they need to raise their LSAT score or not.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:33 am

abbottsbar wrote:I'm not holding out much hope of an acceptance, and it's my own fault. I waited to apply until the last minute and I'm a pretty extreme splitter (2.7, 169).

I'm guessing it'll come down to the mix they get with seat deposits in whether they need to raise their LSAT score or not.
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that...I have a SLIGHTLY better GPA and a slightly worse LSAT, and I got in with my early Jan. application. When did you apply? Why did you wait until so late?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:15 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:
abbottsbar wrote:I'm not holding out much hope of an acceptance, and it's my own fault. I waited to apply until the last minute and I'm a pretty extreme splitter (2.7, 169).

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that...I have a SLIGHTLY better GPA and a slightly worse LSAT, and I got in with my early Jan. application. When did you apply? Why did you wait until so late?
I applied on 3/6. I didn't do as well on the Dec LSAT, so I waited on my Feb score. Also, we were waiting to see what program my wife was going to take.

I'll keep you all posted.

Hibiscus

New

Post by Hibiscus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Someone may have mentioned this already, but when the status checker changes to "Decision Made" is there any way to tell what that decision was?

apslaw1031

New

Post by apslaw1031 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Hibiscus wrote:Someone may have mentioned this already, but when the status checker changes to "Decision Made" is there any way to tell what that decision was?
^^ I'm wondering this too...
Those of you that were accepted, did the "Amount Due" for the seat deposits change right away on your status checkers?
I know I'll find out soon enough, but I can't help but wonder!

VMB

New

Post by VMB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Did you two go into "Decision Made" today? I ask bc I have been under review for a while now and am hoping to hear soon. Do you mind sharing your numbers and keeping us updated when you do receive your decision. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm

apslaw1031 wrote:
Hibiscus wrote:Someone may have mentioned this already, but when the status checker changes to "Decision Made" is there any way to tell what that decision was?
^^ I'm wondering this too...
Those of you that were accepted, did the "Amount Due" for the seat deposits change right away on your status checkers?
I know I'll find out soon enough, but I can't help but wonder!
Nothing changed at all, I just had to wait.

Hibiscus

New

Post by Hibiscus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm

VMB wrote:Did you two go into "Decision Made" today? I ask bc I have been under review for a while now and am hoping to hear soon. Do you mind sharing your numbers and keeping us updated when you do receive your decision. Thanks.
I went into "Decision Made" today. 160/3.3 ugpa (grade addendum) double major and a 3.7 M.S. gpa.

jgrady1

New

Post by jgrady1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:34 pm

Finally Decision Made!! Been waiting since 1/17 :)

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:17 pm

My status changed to decision made as well

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hibiscus

New

Post by Hibiscus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Have they typically released batches of similar decisions at the same time, (I.e. one date for WL one date for accepts etc...) or are they varied?

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Hibiscus wrote:Have they typically released batches of similar decisions at the same time, (I.e. one date for WL one date for accepts etc...) or are they varied?
It seems like it.

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 am

ach24 wrote:
pret wrote:What's the consensus on Dean Phoebe Haddon?
I've met her a few times, but I really don't have an opinion on her. We have a few Deans that are very involved and get to know you on a first name basis, which I really appreciate. I know that she does teach a class, and she really values the idea of collegiality among attorneys.
Thanks for the response.

When I went for my tour, I was particularly struck by how our tour guide kept walking by professors and classmates he personally knew. This is a huge change from UMD, where I had ~30,000 fellow undergrads and very rarely saw any classmates on campus. Interesting change.

Marie34

New

Post by Marie34 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:03 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knew if Maryland is still sending out scholarships? I'm above 75% for LSAT and right at 75% for GPA, but I've gotten nothing? I'm pretty interested in the school, but have received generous scholarships from schools ranked right around Maryland (Georgia, Wake, Ohio State). Still a chance I'll get something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”