Mercer applicants 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Christykai
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby Christykai » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Question to all that were accepted? Did your application go into any "under review" status or did it go from "file complete" to "accepted"? Just trying to gauge where I may be at in the process.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby kmokeefe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Christykai wrote:Question to all that were accepted? Did your application go into any "under review" status or did it go from "file complete" to "accepted"? Just trying to gauge where I may be at in the process.

Nope, there was no change between "File is Complete" and the acceptance.

Christykai
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby Christykai » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm not sure if that makes the wait any easier :-) But thanks for letting me know.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby kmokeefe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:10 pm

No problem! my fingers are crossed that you'll hear something (preferably good news) soon!

ccmbr006
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:34 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby ccmbr006 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 pm

jabberwock12 wrote:
ccmbr006 wrote:Another full tuition here.


Me too!

Anybody considering taking the full scholly at Mercer over no money at UGA?



Well, I got half at UGA, so no, but I don't think that I would. Georgia is still pretty cheap.

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby kmokeefe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:28 pm

ccmbr006 wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:
ccmbr006 wrote:Another full tuition here.


Me too!

Anybody considering taking the full scholly at Mercer over no money at UGA?



Well, I got half at UGA, so no, but I don't think that I would. Georgia is still pretty cheap.

though it wouldn't be that cheap for an out of stater. 32k a year (plus living expenses) at any school without $$ is a lot to swallow in this economy.

jabberwock12
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby jabberwock12 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Any current law students at Mercer taking questions?

sarhuh
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:54 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby sarhuh » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 am

jabberwock12 wrote:Any current law students at Mercer taking questions?



I am a 1L at Mercer and glad to answer any questions!

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby kmokeefe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 am

sarhuh wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:Any current law students at Mercer taking questions?



I am a 1L at Mercer and glad to answer any questions!


What would you say you've liked the most about your Mercer experience so far? disliked?

What streets, apartment complexes, etc. would you suggest for someone who wants to live fairly close (biking or walking distance from the school)?

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby 30somethingJD » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:21 am

Did anyone get a scholly that wasn't a full ride? I got my packet in the mail, but still no word on any scholly. I should get something I would think

roneman90
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby roneman90 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Just got in. Hoping for some scholly money.

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby 30somethingJD » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:49 am

Got an email last night... Full ride scholly!!!! Only stip is "good academic standing" I am absolutely amazed. This is going to make my decision wayyyyyyyyy more difficult. Does anyone know when mercers ASD is?

Christykai
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby Christykai » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 am

Congrats on the Scholly! I still haven't heard anything.... :( I'm hoping to hear back before Christmas. No news is better than bad news though. What other schools are you considering 30somethingJD?

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby kmokeefe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:26 pm

30somethingJD wrote:Got an email last night... Full ride scholly!!!! Only stip is "good academic standing" I am absolutely amazed. This is going to make my decision wayyyyyyyyy more difficult. Does anyone know when mercers ASD is?


Congrats! and ASD is March 24th, 9am - 1pm. I will definitely be attending so I can see what the school is like since Mercer is a serious consider for me now.

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby 30somethingJD » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Christykai wrote:Congrats on the Scholly! I still haven't heard anything.... :( I'm hoping to hear back before Christmas. No news is better than bad news though. What other schools are you considering 30somethingJD?

I applied to a bunch of schools from FL to Michigan and east of the Mississippi. Look me up on LSN my username is the same I have kept pretty extensive notes on my cycle. :D

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby 30somethingJD » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:Got an email last night... Full ride scholly!!!! Only stip is "good academic standing" I am absolutely amazed. This is going to make my decision wayyyyyyyyy more difficult. Does anyone know when mercers ASD is?


Congrats! and ASD is March 24th, 9am - 1pm. I will definitely be attending so I can see what the school is like since Mercer is a serious consider for me now.

How did you find out about ASD. Also every year the day before ASD they do a "Scholars Day" for scholly recipients. From searching previous TLS boards, it appears the school pays for travel and your motel for that. Have you heard anything about that?

Thanks!

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby kmokeefe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:42 am

30somethingJD wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:Got an email last night... Full ride scholly!!!! Only stip is "good academic standing" I am absolutely amazed. This is going to make my decision wayyyyyyyyy more difficult. Does anyone know when mercers ASD is?


Congrats! and ASD is March 24th, 9am - 1pm. I will definitely be attending so I can see what the school is like since Mercer is a serious consider for me now.

How did you find out about ASD. Also every year the day before ASD they do a "Scholars Day" for scholly recipients. From searching previous TLS boards, it appears the school pays for travel and your motel for that. Have you heard anything about that?

Thanks!

I haven't heard anything about that yet from the school, but I also saw past people mention that on the board. I feel like I recall one person mentioning getting the invitation in an email?

I got the info from ASD from here: http://law.mercer.edu/admissions/accepted

Christykai
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby Christykai » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:54 pm

I wonder if Mercer will give out decisions this close to the holidays....

User avatar
kmokeefe
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby kmokeefe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Christykai wrote:I wonder if Mercer will give out decisions this close to the holidays....

It's hard to say and I think it depends on the school. Georgia State, for example, sent out an email saying they would be closed Dec. 19th - Jan. 3rd. But American, sent out decisions today.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby ggocat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Congrats to all the acceptances and scholarships. Great to hear that they are still renewing scholarship for "good academic standing." Basically you renew if you don't flunk, and Mercer has no, or almost no, academic attrition each year. So unlike scholarships at some schools, renewal is virtually assured.

jabberwock12 wrote:Any current law students at Mercer taking questions?

I'm a recent graduate; happy to answer questions.

kmokeefe wrote:What would you say you've liked the most about your Mercer experience so far? disliked?

Liked -- legal writing program; responsive and supportive professors--both for school matters and for finding jobs; practical required courses (e.g., statutory analysis, client counseling); the diverse mix of personalities and general congeniality among classmates with a small class size.

Disliked -- distance Macon is from Atlanta inhibiting semester-long internships (though I never personally sought employment in Atlanta, and I think there are sufficient opportunities in Macon and surrounding counties); mild Baptist influence (e.g., no drinking on University grounds); high tuition relative to very cheap in-state tuition for UGA and GSU means the school will have a hard time coming back in the rankings.

kmokeefe wrote:What streets, apartment complexes, etc. would you suggest for someone who wants to live fairly close (biking or walking distance from the school)?

Many houses near the school have been converted into apartments and are rented by law students (Orange, Bond, Walnut Streets, etc.). Some students live in university-owned apartments near the school, and others live in apartments off of Orange Street, south of Georgia Avenue. Other downtown apartments include Ashley Towers (mid/low price), and Katherine Court and Cherry Place (I believe those are more expensive). Another good option if you're biking is Tattnall Place apartments, about one mile from the law school off Oglethorpe near Ross and Calhoun Streets; it's near the undergrad campus, and prices were very good for what you get (townhouse style, walking distance to Ingleside Pizza, Bear's Den, coffee shop, and other new eateries).

sarhuh
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:54 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby sarhuh » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:33 pm

kmokeefe wrote:
sarhuh wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:Any current law students at Mercer taking questions?



I am a 1L at Mercer and glad to answer any questions!


What would you say you've liked the most about your Mercer experience so far? disliked?

What streets, apartment complexes, etc. would you suggest for someone who wants to live fairly close (biking or walking distance from the school)?



Likes-- small classes and the people are extremely friendly. I just finished my 1st semester and I can honestly say that I have met some of the nicest most accommodating people---The 2ls and 3ls are super helpful in anything you might need and my class/ section has truly become like family. Its not your typical cut throat law school setting (though there still are the typical gunners here and there). Coming from a large undergrad this was new to me! Couldn't be happier with the choice to attend the school. Also, cost of living is super cheap compared to Atlanta (where I am from) and the drive is literally an hour and 15 minutes.


Dislikes- the cost of attendance-- but that goes without saying. It definitely costs a pretty penny..

Places to live-- barristers hall is great (and across the street) , Katherine court is nice as well. I know a few people who live in the orange street apts and they seem to love it! There are a lot of places nearby within walking distance so if you want to know more in detail message me!

Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby 30somethingJD » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:43 pm

So I drove up to Macon this weekend, stayed Fri and Sat night, just to check out the area and housing options. I have to say that I was VERY pleased with what I found. Housing is extremely reasonable, I looked at 19 different apartment complexes. Restaurants were plentiful and inexpensive. Traffic was relatively non-existent, at least from what I am used to. The law school and grounds are beautiful. I was not able to get inside for a tour, or talk to anyone as the school was closed but I knew that before going up there. I will drive back up there for maybe the preview day in Feb. as its only a 6 hour drive. Everyone I did meet in the town seemed extremely nice and inviting with that "typical" southern charm. I went to several stores (3 grocery stores, 1 walmart, 1 target) in several different areas of the city, and they all seemed well kept, and safe. I did see some areas that I probably would not frequent, although I see no reason why I would need to frequent those areas, such as the area just (I believe south) of the main campus. (not the law school). Anyways just wanted to share what info I learned from this trip, If anyone has any questions, especially about apartments in north Macon, as this is where i primarily searched, let me know. In closing, the cost of living is way lower than what I am used to (central Florida), coupled with the stipulation free full ride I was offered, Its going to be difficult for any of the other schools i have applied to/ been accepted to, to top the overall package.

BTW I received the email advising me of my scholly, but I have not received anything via snail mail. Has any other scholly recipients received a snail mail letter? If so how long after your email? Thanks

Christykai
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby Christykai » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm from Central Florida as well and I just moved up to the Macon area for my husbands business. I am very happy with the area so far. I still have yet to hear back from Mercer but, being as it is just 10 miles away and I really enjoy the campus, I am certain to attend there if accepted. I took my LSAT there in October and I was impressed with the inside as well, it isn't too big which makes it more comfortable.

smpark2
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby smpark2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 am

Accepted w/ full scholly. 3.5/162

Completed 12/9
Accepted 12/13
Scholarship info sent 12/15

Pahlawan
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby Pahlawan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:03 pm

App complete and waiting to hear word of acceptance and full-ride scholarship specific to my school.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, AZnative, Baidu [Spider], jewls2230, neptunian, oliviaj_j, Photomike2, tlsfan13 and 21 guests