Mercer applicants 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LEPWU

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby LEPWU » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:25 pm

I was accepted today!!! I applied in early January and had been sitting at "application received and waiting to be processed" since January 5th. I sent Mercer an email on February 17th essentially asking about the movement of my application; I went "under review" on February 21st (and had an email to that effect on the 27th); and I was accepted today (March 1) via status checker (no email as of yet). Voila: hopefully these dates give some of y'all hope vis-a-vis your own applications!

ShowJumper560

Postby ShowJumper560 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Accepted today also via status checker. Been complete since November.

Ga0-3L

Postby Ga0-3L » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:
LittleBlueBird wrote:I know some of you have said that they received an email about scholarships the day after they admitted you - has anyone else experienced this longer period of nothingness?
I plan to call soon and flat out ask them, but I don't want to seem too pushy because I waited to apply late and they accepted me only a week ago. I hope I didn't miss out on all of the $$.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I know mine came in an email the next day after my acceptance email, and then there was also a letter about it in my acceptance packet. You should probably just call, but ask in a way that doesn't seem to pushy, like just ask if/when they send out scholarships, or how you can be considered. It really doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

When I think about the difference, you did apply A LOT earlier than I did, so that probably had more to do with your super quick scholarship notification. They more likely had much more time to look at and consider your app than the two days it took them to look at mine. I am probably just being paranoid, but I plan to call anyway. Do you suppose they will be closed on Monday? The office where I work will be closed, so I assume the same for them as well.

I received a letter with the acceptance and then a confirmation via email a couple days later.

kimmykimkimster

Postby kimmykimkimster » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:41 pm

I'm still waiting. since 12/06. i hope they make a decision soon. i just want to know if its a yes or a no. so i can make a decision at the other schools i have been accepted to.

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:03 pm

So ASD - who is definitely going? Does anyone want to get together and have a TLS dinner afterwards? I'm trying to firm up my plans right now. Hotels in the area are much more expensive that I ever would have imagined. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Johnlj56

Postby Johnlj56 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 pm

I will be there. I will be driving to Macon that morning so I can't help as far as hotels are concerned. I'm definitely down for dinner, though.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 pm

I will most definitely be there! I'll be showing up on the afternoon of the 23rd for the scholarship reception. Mercer is putting those people up in the Hilton Garden Inn, so that's where I'll be. I'm really excited.

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 pm

kmokeefe wrote:I will most definitely be there! I'll be showing up on the afternoon of the 23rd for the scholarship reception. Mercer is putting those people up in the Hilton Garden Inn, so that's where I'll be. I'm really excited.

I was looking at the Hilton Garden Inn as well. I spoke to someone in admissions the other day and she was very nice, but gave me the bad news I had suspected - they gave out all of the scholarship monies in early January, before I applied.

If they offer me any money, it will be after the April 1st deposit deadline. It's really my own fault. I have stats on par with you guys who are getting full scholy's. I had been dead set on GSU or Emory, but those guys aren't offering me a dime either. I have never been to Mercer, but the more I read about it, the more interested I became. I like their emphasis on public service work, and I like that the faculty seems friendly and approachable.

I'm going to try to make it for the ASD. It's going to be a little rough, because I'll have to make the drive alone and it's about 9 hours for me, and I don't have the money to fly. If I can go, I would really look forward to meeting you all to make the trip worth it. If they can't free up some funds for me this year, then I'll just apply again come the fall, first thing. Timing really is everything.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:12 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:...I have stats on par with you guys who are getting full scholy's. ... I like their emphasis on public service work ... .

You may want to mention your interest in public service work and specifically ask about the Walter F. George Scholarship. When I was there a few years ago, they gave a couple of these out each year and often didn't make the decision until late in the game (after Woodruff scholarships). The George scholarship is full tuition (includes laptop) and a $6,000 stipend for each summer you spend working in public interest or government (up to $12,000).

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:31 pm

ggocat wrote:
LittleBlueBird wrote:...I have stats on par with you guys who are getting full scholy's. ... I like their emphasis on public service work ... .

You may want to mention your interest in public service work and specifically ask about the Walter F. George Scholarship. When I was there a few years ago, they gave a couple of these out each year and often didn't make the decision until late in the game (after Woodruff scholarships). The George scholarship is full tuition (includes laptop) and a $6,000 stipend for each summer you spend working in public interest or government (up to $12,000).

Funny you say that, because I did mention that I was attracted to their strong public service program, and would rather pursue that than private practice. Hopefully I said the right things. I'm going to keep following up. I have other full ride offers for schools I don't care about, and would much rather attend Mercer. I'm self loathing pretty hard over here. Thanks for all of the help!

Christykai

Postby Christykai » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:47 pm

ggocat, is that scholarship merit based? I couldn't find much about how to qualify and apply.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Christykai wrote:ggocat, is that scholarship merit based? I couldn't find much about how to qualify and apply.

I think it is merit based, but I can't speak definitively on that issue. I knew several people were awarded that scholarship after being a finalist for the Woodruff, but some were not Woodruff finalists. There wasn't a formal application for it, and I'm not sure how the school decided to award it. I think it wouldn't hurt you to just let the admissions office know you are interested, especially if you have (1) above-median UGPA and LSAT and (2) some public service work on your resume. I met with a prospective student one year, and I knew his grades/LSAT were good and he wanted to be an ADA, so I told him to go ask the admissions office about the George scholarship. I'm not sure if he ever did that, but he did tell me he received the scholarship.

roneman90

Postby roneman90 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Just got back from my tour of Mercer and the surrounding area. Definitely enjoyed the visit. The law school itself is under some minor construction, which I assume will be completed by the Fall. Met some 3Ls who all emphasized the camaraderie of Mercer that you don't have at the higher ranked law schools.

Met the Director of Admissions and Financial Aid as well, and she was very helpful and informative. Asked about scholarships, and as I am pretty sure it's already been stated here, they gave out most of their money already. However, she said after April 1st which is the first deposit date they are able to reallocate any scholarships that have been left unclaimed, so there is still hope for some of us.

All in all it was a great visit and definitely worth visiting if you get the chance.

bonibush

Postby bonibush » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Hey everyone & congrats to all who've been accepted into the Class of 2015. Looks like a group of you will be in Macon later this month. I'm a Mercer law grad; and, along with my JD, I finished law school as a landlord, having purchased a small apt complex located closer to the law school than the law school parking lot. The name is Barristers Hall & we cater to law students with our pricing & incentive packages. I've got a great group of 1L's right now, one of whom told me about this site. They said they would love to meet you, show you around & answer any questions about our "Law Student Community," as well as law school. We only have a few vacancies for next fall, so check out our website at http://www.barristershall.com, & if you think you might be interested we'd love to have you visit.

Charlindrea

Postby Charlindrea » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Status checker still says file is complete as of Jan 25th. /sigh. anyone else still anxiously waiting?

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:51 pm

We are all waiting. Fortunately, I got an acceptance to another school to hold me over.

RUL3ofLAW

Postby RUL3ofLAW » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:50 am

How does everyone feel about Mercer moving up to 110 in the overall rankings and down to 2 in the legal writing rankings?

roneman90

Postby roneman90 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 am

RUL3ofLAW wrote:How does everyone feel about Mercer moving up to 110 in the overall rankings and down to 2 in the legal writing rankings?

Great movement for Mercer. At this rate should be Top 100 by 2015 graduation.

Moving down 1 in legal writing may sting a little, but remember, it is still #2 in the country. Nothing to be ashamed of.

RUL3ofLAW

Postby RUL3ofLAW » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 am

roneman90 wrote:
RUL3ofLAW wrote:How does everyone feel about Mercer moving up to 110 in the overall rankings and down to 2 in the legal writing rankings?

Great movement for Mercer. At this rate should be Top 100 by 2015 graduation.

Moving down 1 in legal writing may sting a little, but remember, it is still #2 in the country. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I agree. I know that at one point, I think 2007, Mercer was in the top 100 but then fell back out. I will be enrolling there this fall despite being accepted to a top 100 school because I really enjoyed my visit to Mercer. The law school "feels" like what I think law school should feel like in that it isn't a highrise builing in a metropolis. It is a single building modeled after Independence Hall that stands on a hill overlooking the city of Macon. It is beautiful, and the faculty I met were very nice and welcoming. If they do crack the top 100 that will just be icing on my cake. :-)

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 pm

I don't think either move signifies much. I will get excited if Mercer is again ranked higher than GSU, as it was in 2006. Mercer was top 100 for the first 6 years that US News began ranking schools outside the top 50. The legal writing ranking frequently goes up and down between 1 and 2.

30somethingJD

Postby 30somethingJD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Is there an accepted students facebook group yet for 2015?

Johnlj56

Postby Johnlj56 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't think so. You want to get that started?

vbc515

Postby vbc515 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm posting around on all the GA school threads to see that y'all think.... I got my last scholarship offer today so it's time to make a decision. Basically, I can attend Emory or UGA for about the same price (around $70k rounding up - I live in ATL currently and don't pay rent here, but I'd have to get a place in Athens), GSU for around $35k, or Mercer for a little less than that (I was offered a full ride, but would have to get a place in Macon.)

My goal for right out of law school is to practice in Atlanta Biglaw. I've worked at Alston & Bird and I'm at McKenna, Long, & Aldridge currently, and from my experience, hiring potential between Emory/UGA is about the same, they tend to take from the top 5-10% at GSU, and #1 or #2 out of 150 grads at Mercer.

Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and hope you all have a wonderful day. It's pretty nasty here in Atlanta today. :(

roneman90

Postby roneman90 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:50 pm

30somethingJD wrote:Is there an accepted students facebook group yet for 2015?

I've checked a couple times and haven't found one. Definitely needs to be created though.

Johnlj56

Postby Johnlj56 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:54 pm

I think to make the right decision, you have to determine what is most important to you. Despite ranking, I look at Emory and UGA as equals, especially when it comes to ATL Biglaw placement. Since it will cost about the same either way, it comes down to where do you want to live for 3 years, Athens or ATL. Both cities have their pros and cons. Another consideration is that Emory tends to teach law from a national perspective since a lot of their graduates move out of state, whereas UGA is geared more toward Georgia law. Also, consider the campus environment, special programs that interest you, faculty, etc.

GSU and Mercer are great schools, but will not offer you the same opportunities as far as ATL biglaw is concerned. It certainly possible to land an ATL biglaw job at GSU or Mercer, but it is more probable at Emory or UGA. If that is what is important to you, then I feel like you should focus on the schools that give you the best chance of achieving that (even with the lower costs and scholarships).

From my understanding, it seems your choice is basically costs vs. opportunity. You will have to decide which one is more important. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for an apartment in Athens.

Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”