Mercer applicants 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
30somethingJD

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Postby 30somethingJD » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Yep me too, I'm definitely going. I went on my own a few weeks ago did a private tour and sat in on a con law class. Very good experience and I will definitely take a free trip to get more info, although I am already pretty much decided that I will be attending this fall. Im going to start withdrawing from my safety schools and schools with no scholly this weekend. Anyone else decided yet?

Johnlj56

Postby Johnlj56 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Yeah. Ive pretty much decided on Mercer. I was waiting for my Georgia State decision, but I think I will be going regardless.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:10 pm

I'm pretty much like 90% decided that I'm going to attend Mercer. I'm still waiting for decisions from USC and Georgia State but I really doubt either would offer as much money, if accepted (also waiting to see if Lewis and Clark gives me any money, which I also doubt).

Christykai

Postby Christykai » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:59 am

Am I the only one waiting for a decision from Mercer? Can't be a good sign!

Johnlj56

Postby Johnlj56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:25 am

Christy, have you thought about writing them a letter of continued interest or calling the admissions office. I have called a couple of times and they are very nice and straight forward. If nothing else it will give you a better idea of where you stand. hang in there; you still have plenty of time.

Christykai

Postby Christykai » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 am

I sent her an email on Tuesday which you could consider a LOCI. I haven't heard anything back yet. I noticed the first week of January that status checker said a decision should be rendered in 2-6 weeks, friday will be then end of week 6...Hoping I hear something back today....

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I've decided to come out of lurking because I've been having a hard time trying to figure out what to do with myself lately, so maybe you guys can help me out.

I applied to Mercer very late in the game because I previously had only considered UGA and GSU. However, given my stats compared to some people who have posted here saying that they got full scholarship, I decided to throw my app into Mercer because George is my priority state and money may be the deciding factor.

Here's my history with Mercer so far.

Submitted Application thru LSAC 2/5
Application Complete 2/6
Decision Rendered 2/8
Acceptance Email 2/9
Physical Acceptance Package Received 2/11

I believed by their very quick response that they are interested in having me. However, nowhere in any of my emails or acceptance package does it mention a word about scholarships or aid.

I know some of you have said that they received an email about scholarships the day after they admitted you - has anyone else experienced this longer period of nothingness?
I plan to call soon and flat out ask them, but I don't want to seem too pushy because I waited to apply late and they accepted me only a week ago. I hope I didn't miss out on all of the $$.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

alwayslovely

Postby alwayslovely » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:06 am

LittleBlueBird wrote:I know some of you have said that they received an email about scholarships the day after they admitted you - has anyone else experienced this longer period of nothingness?
I plan to call soon and flat out ask them, but I don't want to seem too pushy because I waited to apply late and they accepted me only a week ago. I hope I didn't miss out on all of the $$.

Scholarship will come via email a little later - my info came about two weeks after being accepted.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:54 am

LittleBlueBird wrote:I know some of you have said that they received an email about scholarships the day after they admitted you - has anyone else experienced this longer period of nothingness?

I know mine came in an email the next day after my acceptance email, and then there was also a letter about it in my acceptance packet. You should probably just call, but ask in a way that doesn't seem to pushy, like just ask if/when they send out scholarships, or how you can be considered. It really doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:05 pm

alwayslovely wrote:

Scholarship will come via email a little later - my info came about two weeks after being accepted.

That is very encouraging! Thank you!

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:09 pm

kmokeefe wrote:

I know mine came in an email the next day after my acceptance email, and then there was also a letter about it in my acceptance packet. You should probably just call, but ask in a way that doesn't seem to pushy, like just ask if/when they send out scholarships, or how you can be considered. It really doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

When I think about the difference, you did apply A LOT earlier than I did, so that probably had more to do with your super quick scholarship notification. They more likely had much more time to look at and consider your app than the two days it took them to look at mine. I am probably just being paranoid, but I plan to call anyway. Do you suppose they will be closed on Monday? The office where I work will be closed, so I assume the same for them as well.

kmokeefe

Postby kmokeefe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
kmokeefe wrote:

When I think about the difference, you did apply A LOT earlier than I did, so that probably had more to do with your super quick scholarship notification. They more likely had much more time to look at and consider your app than the two days it took them to look at mine. I am probably just being paranoid, but I plan to call anyway. Do you suppose they will be closed on Monday? The office where I work will be closed, so I assume the same for them as well.

That's hard to say, I'm in undergrad and Monday is business as usual for us, so they might have everything running at Mercer? I know regular public schools are closed that day but I don't know how universities handle that.

kimmykimkimster

Postby kimmykimkimster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:32 am

My app went complete 12/6/2011, still waiting on a reply :/

weatherswaysme

Postby weatherswaysme » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:51 pm

In today via email

kimmykimkimster

Postby kimmykimkimster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:50 pm

weatherswaysme wrote:In today via email

did your status change online?

weatherswaysme

Postby weatherswaysme » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 pm

kimmykimkimster wrote:
weatherswaysme wrote:In today via email

did your status change online?

yup, under decision status it says "You have been accepted to Mercer Law."

Christykai

Postby Christykai » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 pm

In via status checker 2/23!!! :D

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Christykai wrote:In via status checker 2/23!!! :D

Congratulations!!! I am extremely happy to hear that! I knew it was only a matter of time :D

Johnlj56

Postby Johnlj56 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 am

Congrats Christy! I'm excited for you. I guess I will be seeing you this fall.

Christykai

Postby Christykai » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 am

Thank you! Yes I will see you there in the Fall.

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:23 pm

3.22 / 151, I am hoping I hear something soon. Waitlisted at Catholic and Stetson.

Charlindrea

Postby Charlindrea » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am

Application has been complete since Jan 25th. Status checker says 2-6 weeks :? I love how it says "We know this is an anxious time."

Anyone else waiting since late Jan?

Christykai

Postby Christykai » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 pm

I went complete 12/5 I believe and didn't hear back until last week. Prior to being accepted I asked admissions about the 2-6 week deadline and was told that it is just a general timeline and they can take longer. Stay optimistic!

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:45 pm

bjhs08 wrote:To any current students/recent grads: What are the job prospects like out of Mercer? I have read LST and seen the official numbers but would like to hear from a real person. What kind of jobs do most students get upon graduation? What is the starting salary? Where are these jobs located? How portable is this degree in surrounding states i.e. Alabama?

I graduated 2010. I think job prospects are tough to speculate about. People get a variety of jobs; there are surprises on both ends of the spectrum. I knew some top students (like top 5%) who graduated without jobs in 2010 (got no-offered after spending the summer in biglaw; of course, all found jobs after graduating), but I knew some students with lower grades and no law review who got federal clerkships or federal government attorney jobs -- these are competitive jobs, and the students surely beat out "more qualified" applicants from other schools. If I could guess for recent years, no more than 10% get biglaw. If I was forced to guess, most students probably work in small or mid-sized firms or local government jobs. The pay for these can vary incredibly. Some small firms and governments pay in the $40k's. Other's pay twice that, with most in the middle. I only asked some of my closest friends about salary, so I don't have a huge sample to pull from. Graduates are spread out all over Georgia, Alabama, the Carolinas, Tennessee, and Florida, and some leave the southeast altogether. A classmate and I both found work in Texas; some classmates went to DC, Louisiana, Mississippi, and elsewhere. The school has virtually no name recognition outside the southeast, so it's not "portable" like a T14. That being said, I've never felt hindered by going to Mercer. I think lower-ranked schools are mostly regional because of self-selection; something like 75-80% of Mercer's students come from Georgia, so about the same percentage of students stay in Georgia after graduating. Students come from all corners of the country -- Washington state and New York included for my classmates -- but many decide to stay in Georgia (those two students I'm thinking about ended up in biglaw and a federal clerkship).

roneman90

Postby roneman90 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Visiting the law school on March 7th at 330, if anyone else will be in the area.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”