Mercer applicants 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ggocat

Gold

Re: Mercer applicants 2012

Post by ggocat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:25 pm

vbc515 wrote:Hey everybody,

I'm posting around on all the GA school threads to see that y'all think.... I got my last scholarship offer today so it's time to make a decision. Basically, I can attend Emory or UGA for about the same price (around $70k rounding up - I live in ATL currently and don't pay rent here, but I'd have to get a place in Athens), GSU for around $35k, or Mercer for a little less than that (I was offered a full ride, but would have to get a place in Macon.)

My goal for right out of law school is to practice in Atlanta Biglaw. I've worked at Alston & Bird and I'm at McKenna, Long, & Aldridge currently, and from my experience, hiring potential between Emory/UGA is about the same, they tend to take from the top 5-10% at GSU, and #1 or #2 out of 150 grads at Mercer.

Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and hope you all have a wonderful day. It's pretty nasty here in Atlanta today. :(
Given your goal of biglaw, Emory hands down. About 12.5% of the 2011 class at Emory went to NLJ 250 firms. UGA didn't even make the top 50 list (so must have had less than 6.5%).

But I would also like to comment on your suggestion that firms like Alston or McKenna hire deeper into the class at GSU compared to Mercer. While it is true that the #1 student from Mercer's 2011 class was hired at McKenna, I believe both firms generally consider Mercer students in the top 10% and sometimes students outside the top 10%. Further, when you account for the difference in class sizes between GSU and Mercer (Mercer's class size is 66% of GSU's), you will see that the schools have placed equally at both firms.

Here are the number of lawyers at each firm from each school (if I counted correctly -- Alston doesn't let you search just by law school), with the adjusted-for-class-size GSU number in parenthesis.
McKenna:
Mercer - 12, GSU 17 (11.22)

Alston:
Mercer - 14, GSU 22 (14.52)

MissGalaxy

New

Post by MissGalaxy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Did anyone go to the ASD this weekend? I wasn't able to make it...can you tell me about it?

Christykai

New

Post by Christykai » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 am

Anyone planning on attending the King and Spalding reception next month? I am interested in going but unsure if it is a "bring your spouse" type of thing?

Jinomas

New

Post by Jinomas » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Withdrew yesterday.

MissGalaxy

New

Post by MissGalaxy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Christykai wrote:Anyone planning on attending the King and Spalding reception next month? I am interested in going but unsure if it is a "bring your spouse" type of thing?
I'm planning on going, but not sure about "bring your spouse." I'm thinking probably not, but I'm sure you can ask when you RSVP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Christykai

New

Post by Christykai » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:41 pm

I called this morning to RSVP, it is "bring your spouse" appropriate for anyone wondering....

MissGalaxy

New

Post by MissGalaxy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Christykai wrote:I called this morning to RSVP, it is "bring your spouse" appropriate for anyone wondering....
Thanks for checking!

Christykai

New

Post by Christykai » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Your welcome. I figured I couldn't possibly be the only one wanting to know this. She made it seem like it was a commonly asked question.

RUL3ofLAW

New

Post by RUL3ofLAW » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Christykai wrote:Anyone planning on attending the King and Spalding reception next month? I am interested in going but unsure if it is a "bring your spouse" type of thing?
I will be there. :-) I wanted to take my wife but she won't be able to take off work that day. I think it is odd they are doing it on a Thursday, Friday would have made more sense to me. Either way I am excited and ready to go! :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RUL3ofLAW

New

Post by RUL3ofLAW » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:20 pm

MissGalaxy wrote:Did anyone go to the ASD this weekend? I wasn't able to make it...can you tell me about it?
My wife and I went. It was pretty much the same format as a law preview day I attended there last year. A professor gave a little introduction, then another professor gave us a mock class type of thing where we had a set of questions we had to answer and she called on people from the roster to answer them that part was a lot of fun, then the financial aid lady spoke, then we took a short tour of the buliding not including the library because it was locked, then we ate lunch and some professors came in and randomly sat with people and talked and that was it. We all got two bags, two pens, a notebook, a folder with the viewbook and FAQ packet in it that they mailed with your acceptance, and a coozie (spelling?) Overall it was a nice experience. Everyone there seems so friendly and willing to help you. I can't wait to get started in August.

Johnlj56

New

Post by Johnlj56 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I am tentatively planning on going to the K&S reception. I'm with Rul3; Thursday night seems to be a strange night to have a reception. My wife would like to go, but I doubt that she can rearrange her schedule. I live about 3 hours from ATL so I will probably drive there and back the same day.

Anyway, I was going to set up the Mercer Class of 2015 facebook page, but I'm a Facebook novice and I don't know if I am doing it right. Anyone who has experience with facebook groups want to help me out?

roneman90

Bronze

Post by roneman90 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Johnlj56 wrote:I am tentatively planning on going to the K&S reception. I'm with Rul3; Thursday night seems to be a strange night to have a reception. My wife would like to go, but I doubt that she can rearrange her schedule. I live about 3 hours from ATL so I will probably drive there and back the same day.

Anyway, I was going to set up the Mercer Class of 2015 facebook page, but I'm a Facebook novice and I don't know if I am doing it right. Anyone who has experience with facebook groups want to help me out?
It's pretty simple, just make sure its a group and not a fan page. Let me know when you've made it.

MissGalaxy

New

Post by MissGalaxy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm flying in from Los Angeles to attend the King and Spalding reception, and then I'm going to drive down to Macon on Friday to visit the school. I'm really excited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kmokeefe

Bronze

Post by kmokeefe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:04 pm

I think someone made a class of 2015 fan page instead of a group?
or maybe it was intentional idk.
either way, i'm most likely mailing in my deposit soon! i'm going to be looking for apartments soon.

edit: oops i just realized that wasn't specifically a law school page it was just for mercer university.

Johnlj56

New

Post by Johnlj56 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Ok. I think it is up. It is the Mercer Law Class of 2015.

roneman90

Bronze

Post by roneman90 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Johnlj56 wrote:Ok. I think it is up. It is the Mercer Law Class of 2015.
Couldn't find it. Mind posting a link?

Johnlj56

New

Post by Johnlj56 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:10 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Christykai

New

Post by Christykai » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:42 am

I'm starting to feel like the only person on the planet without facebook!

Johnlj56

New

Post by Johnlj56 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm

I resisted joining Facebook for a long time. I finally gave in about a year ago. It's useful for staying in touch with people you don't see that often, but I don't use it nearly as much as most people I know.

UGAdawg87

New

Post by UGAdawg87 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Hey guys,
I am a current 2L at Mercer and first off I would like to say congratulations on choosing Mercer! It is a great school and I can assure you that you won't be disappointed with the legal education that you will receive. I'm posting in this thread due to the fact that my current roommate is facing a situation that is beyond his control which in turn is forcing him to move out next year and I am currently looking for someone to take over his lease for next year. My apartment is a two minute walk from the law school and is located in one of the renovated houses on Bond Street (the street directly behind the law school). Housing in Macon can be very difficult to obtain and the Bond/Orange Street Corridor is considered one of the prime areas for law school students to live at. Rent is $450 a month plus roughly an extra $150 for utilities. I have lived in the apartment for my two years at Mercer and have never had any problems at all. I'm a pretty laid back guy and can get along with virtually anyone. If interested in the apartment, please send me a message.

RUL3ofLAW

New

Post by RUL3ofLAW » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Christykai wrote:I'm starting to feel like the only person on the planet without facebook!
You aren't I refuse to give in and join Facebook. :-)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Christykai

New

Post by Christykai » Tue May 22, 2012 10:02 am

Has anyone received their financial aid award info yet? I read that they begin sending them out in May, just curious if anyone has gotten theirs yet.

MissGalaxy

New

Post by MissGalaxy » Thu May 24, 2012 3:51 pm

No, haven't received anything yet. Have you heard anything about scholoarships?

Christykai

New

Post by Christykai » Thu May 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Nope, nothing about scholarships either. Hopefully we will all hear something soon since it's getting close to June.

Comoncents

Bronze

Post by Comoncents » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:14 pm

So, I got a phone call saying I was accepted... but I was denied online months ago. They even sent me a letter saying that I was denied. I was wondering if others have had this happen? Was denied, then called with an acceptance + money... weird?
I would have actually went had I not been denied. I love Mercer!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”