Florida International University, FIU Acceptance, Denial, Wa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rglifberg

Bronze

Re: Florida International University, FIU Acceptance, Denial, Wa

Post by rglifberg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

salsahips wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
rockydbull wrote:
rglifberg wrote:The new rankings came out and FIU is moving up pretty fast! Ranked at #113 up from #135

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings
This quick movement is deceptive in my opinion. Even if FIU were to jump into the <100 rank I feel like since it is so new people would still think it was a knock off program.
I don't think so. I think the higher it climbs the more reputable it will become.

It certainly speaks to a trend, but largely, outside t14, t30 -- the rankings become a little more arbitrary with wild swings. Not to rain on FIU's parade, Miami is my hometown and I'm glad to see the school on the rise, but the new rankings should not play a deciding factor because it probably won't translate into much of a difference in employment prospects.

If you were to see 3-5 years of steady climbing, and maybe breaking into t60, then it's time to start talking about FIU as climbing tiers and not just rankings.
Definitely. But for how young the program is I think it's still pretty impressive, and I think the trend is going to continue in the next 3-5 years.

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:08 pm

rglifberg wrote:
salsahips wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
rockydbull wrote:
This quick movement is deceptive in my opinion. Even if FIU were to jump into the <100 rank I feel like since it is so new people would still think it was a knock off program.
I don't think so. I think the higher it climbs the more reputable it will become.

It certainly speaks to a trend, but largely, outside t14, t30 -- the rankings become a little more arbitrary with wild swings. Not to rain on FIU's parade, Miami is my hometown and I'm glad to see the school on the rise, but the new rankings should not play a deciding factor because it probably won't translate into much of a difference in employment prospects.

If you were to see 3-5 years of steady climbing, and maybe breaking into t60, then it's time to start talking about FIU as climbing tiers and not just rankings.
Definitely. But for how young the program is I think it's still pretty impressive, and I think the trend is going to continue in the next 3-5 years.
Definitely impressive, FIU is lucky it's a lost-cost school in a tropical paradise.

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm happy to see FIU's success. At the same time, I just withdrew. I was accepted to Miami while FIU held me, and, besides, I decided that if I'm going to do this law school thing I ought to go all the way, and go Miami. I am not from South Florida, and I am sure that the part of the state I am from Miami has more reach.

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:I'm happy to see FIU's success. At the same time, I just withdrew. I was accepted to Miami while FIU held me, and, besides, I decided that if I'm going to do this law school thing I ought to go all the way, and go Miami. I am not from South Florida, and I am sure that the part of the state I am from Miami has more reach.

Did you get any money?

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:33 pm

None, and neither is my first choice, but I feel like Miami's degree may benefit me more in the long run, especially since I want to practice in the northern part of Florida.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 pm

JerichoJohnny wrote:None, and neither is my first choice, but I feel like Miami's degree may benefit me more in the long run, especially since I want to practice in the northern part of Florida.

FIU's pull, as of right now, is definitely limited to South Florida. UM obviously has a larger reach, but you'll be competing with UF and FSU grads, and as it is even they are having trouble getting work. Hopefully by the time our class graduates the economy improves enough to bring employment back up, but just note the investment vs. risk you're making. If you have connections, that mitigates the risk.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 pm

salsahips wrote:
JerichoJohnny wrote:None, and neither is my first choice, but I feel like Miami's degree may benefit me more in the long run, especially since I want to practice in the northern part of Florida.

FIU's pull, as of right now, is definitely limited to South Florida. UM obviously has a larger reach, but you'll be competing with UF and FSU grads, and as it is even they are having trouble getting work. Hopefully by the time our class graduates the economy improves enough to bring employment back up, but just note the investment vs. risk you're making. If you have connections, that mitigates the risk.
This plus the ridiculous COA of Miami in general.

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
salsahips wrote:

This plus the ridiculous COA of Miami in general.
That's definitely jumped out at me as I peruse the rental listings. I would much prefer to be in Tallahassee or Gainesville closer to home and with a much more reasonable COA. It looks like $1000 a month is about the minimum to get an apartment that's more than a hovel in the Greater Miami area.

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:37 am

JerichoJohnny wrote:I'm happy to see FIU's success. At the same time, I just withdrew. I was accepted to Miami while FIU held me, and, besides, I decided that if I'm going to do this law school thing I ought to go all the way, and go Miami. I am not from South Florida, and I am sure that the part of the state I am from Miami has more reach.
What exactly do you mean by "going all the way?" Like, financially? I am from Miami, and work at a law firm currently, and I hear people talking from time to time. Apparently employers at firms and in the public sector lookat FIU students just as favorably if not more so than Miami Law students when it comes to summer employment. Also, I have heard that some have stopped looking at UM law students altogether and go with FIU students. This is hearsay obviously, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that UF and FSU were considerably more difficult to get into. Am I missing something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "going all the way?" Like, financially? I am from Miami, and work at a law firm currently, and I hear people talking from time to time. Apparently employers at firms and in the public sector lookat FIU students just as favorably if not more so than Miami Law students when it comes to summer employment. Also, I have heard that some have stopped looking at UM law students altogether and go with FIU students. This is hearsay obviously, so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that UF and FSU were considerably more difficult to get into. Am I missing something?
Yes. I meant financially. Fortunately I was admitted to FSU today, so no more worries!

Figure.N9ne

New

Post by Figure.N9ne » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 pm

rockydbull wrote:
Figure.N9ne wrote:
jlz111 wrote:Went under review 2 weeks ago. I found out today. 162/3.2 Scholarship info coming tomorrow.

Good luck all

Was it merit based or need based? I can't believe I didn't get anything from FIU merit based, yet I got a half scholarship from UF and Catholic which are ranked much higher. All I received from FIU was a small need-based scholarship today, and loan information... Thanks a lot.
Same here I am seeing about 50% scholly from solid tier 2 schools like Cinncy and even got 90% to Stetson but all I got was 5k need based a year to FIU and lots of loan info
FIU again disappoints me. I got home from a trip today to find a big envelope from the FIU financial aid department. Thinking that this must be some sort of merit scholarship, I rush to open it and guess what I find? A prospective student package asking me to apply to the law school even though I've been admitted since the first week of 2012. They need to get their act together. While all the other schools that have admitted me are putting me in contact with professors, alumni, and current students, FIU doesn't even remember they admitted me.

Charlindrea

New

Post by Charlindrea » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 am

waiting, waiting, waiting. Been under review since January 25th.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:28 am

Charlindrea wrote:waiting, waiting, waiting. Been under review since January 25th.
Damn, I feel you pain. I have been under review for a week already and I'm getting pretty antsy lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rockydbull

New

Post by rockydbull » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Figure.N9ne wrote:
rockydbull wrote:
Figure.N9ne wrote:
jlz111 wrote:Went under review 2 weeks ago. I found out today. 162/3.2 Scholarship info coming tomorrow.

Good luck all

Was it merit based or need based? I can't believe I didn't get anything from FIU merit based, yet I got a half scholarship from UF and Catholic which are ranked much higher. All I received from FIU was a small need-based scholarship today, and loan information... Thanks a lot.
Same here I am seeing about 50% scholly from solid tier 2 schools like Cinncy and even got 90% to Stetson but all I got was 5k need based a year to FIU and lots of loan info
FIU again disappoints me. I got home from a trip today to find a big envelope from the FIU financial aid department. Thinking that this must be some sort of merit scholarship, I rush to open it and guess what I find? A prospective student package asking me to apply to the law school even though I've been admitted since the first week of 2012. They need to get their act together. While all the other schools that have admitted me are putting me in contact with professors, alumni, and current students, FIU doesn't even remember they admitted me.
Same thing here. I have tier 2 public schools throwing cash at me to the point that its cheaper for me to go there as an out of state guy than stay in state at tier 3 FIU. They admitted me like 6 weeks ago and nothing. I just sent an appeal in for scholarship, we'll see how that goes.

floridaninja

New

Post by floridaninja » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Anywhere see movement from the WL?

I updated my finanical aid information now that I did my taxes and received a letter stating from FIU stating it cannot be processed yet due to admission not being determined.

I would think FIU is pretty competitive due to the cost (cheaper than Miami, Nova, Stetson, etc.)

3.6/152

Charlindrea

New

Post by Charlindrea » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Oooh, I finally progressed from review to "Decision rendered; letter mailed" today. Why do they have to send the decision in the mail??? lol

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Charlindrea wrote:Oooh, I finally progressed from review to "Decision rendered; letter mailed" today. Why do they have to send the decision in the mail??? lol

hahaha how long did it take for you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Figure.N9ne

New

Post by Figure.N9ne » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Charlindrea wrote:Oooh, I finally progressed from review to "Decision rendered; letter mailed" today. Why do they have to send the decision in the mail??? lol
Unless something has changed, if you were accepted then you should see a seat deposit thing on your status page.

Charlindrea

New

Post by Charlindrea » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:21 am

rglifberg wrote:

I went under review on Jan 25th to Decision rendered on March 20th. My seat deposit numbers have not posted, so I'm wait list or rejection. /sigh.

dvjn69

New

Post by dvjn69 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 am

Charlindrea wrote:
rglifberg wrote:

I went under review on Jan 25th to Decision rendered on March 20th. My seat deposit numbers have not posted, so I'm wait list or rejection. /sigh.

How'd it go? Any luck?

Charlindrea

New

Post by Charlindrea » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

dvjn69 wrote:
Charlindrea wrote:
rglifberg wrote:

How'd it go? Any luck?
Received the rejection letter yesterday. It took a week for it to arrive. The letter mentions I have 30 days to write a letter to ask for reconsideration (nicest rejection letter ever, I would say).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dvjn69

New

Post by dvjn69 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:44 am

How'd it go? Any luck?[/quote]

Received the rejection letter yesterday. It took a week for it to arrive. The letter mentions I have 30 days to write a letter to ask for reconsideration (nicest rejection letter ever, I would say).[/quote]

Well, for what it's worth, the seat deposit deadline is 1 April, so there might be some seats opening up next week. If you write a very convencing letter that shows why you're a great fit for the school and demonstrates your dedicated interest, I'd be willing to bet you have a chance of getting re-considered. The administration is very down to earth and are looking for some good, dedicated students.

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi all! I've been under review since January 19th. Everytime I call, al I get is, "it usually takes 6-9 weeks to render a decision." I appplied to the part-time program. I wonder how competitive it can be? I've received responses from schools I applied to in February. I'm hoping to hear good news in the coming week or less. I'm beyond antsy!

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:51 pm

With the deadline for deposits coming in two days I was wondering if anyone was picking FIU over UM and if so, why? (Besides the obvious difference in cost)

ashjones

New

Post by ashjones » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had any movement after being held? I've gotten accepted at waitlisted to better schools, one T20 even. I am just curious if there has been anyone accepted after being held? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”