Maybe I got an answer because they are sending me an email today or tomorrow. My status changed to under review after I hung up the phone, but I haven't gotten the official email yet.
congrats on the acceptance! a fellow phd applicant here with similar numbers so not sure if i should keep hope or not. i did apply much later than you so who knows.
i talked to jennifer kott and she seemed pretty tight lipped about admissions. told her that i've gotten into emory and boston college and was hoping to get an update from UNC so i can make my decision. she basically told me that those are great schools and that if i can't wait to hear back from UNC, i should just go with either of those schools. perhaps this was her "subtle" way of telling me i'm not getting in?
Maybe try emailing Dean States? From the above posts, it looks like he is being pretty open about telling people if they are going to be waitlisted.
Dean States was in fact who I talked to but I hesitate to encourage people to call him. If a flood of phone calls go through his office, then he's of course not going to respond to them all because he has much more important things to do. I didn't ask for him, he just happened to be the one who picked up the phone when I called. In fact, I thought he was the office secretary the whole time! So I guess you could say that I got lucky when Dean States answered the phone and it just happened to be on the same day my status was being updated.
I was forced to call since I was offered a research position at Duke and had to respond by today whether they should book me plane tickets/hotel for orientation. Outside of this forced decision deadline, I never would have called as I think it is rather unprofessional.