UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
curiousnole
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiousnole » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:44 pm

Anybody get any news? No LSN responses today, none except that one waitlist on here, and I called and they said they aren't working this weekend, so does that mean this is it? Is it possible just none of us and no one LSN made it? I can't imagine they sent out all 400 of those admit decisions they had to today and not one was on here or LSN, right?

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:54 pm

Where did the number 400 come from?

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:56 pm

T-minus 5 min till closing time on a Friday in Chapel Hill. Could be a long weekend.

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:02 pm

And there's the 5:00 whistle. Surprise, surprise, I'm still app complete 11/3. Yay.

curiousnole
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiousnole » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:02 pm

"almost 400" was the estimate given to me by the admissions person I talked to earlier this week.

Throwaway2142
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Throwaway2142 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:09 pm

My application went under review a couple days ago and is still listed as that now. I haven't received any notification today. I have no idea what to make of that really.

User avatar
rbomb
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby rbomb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Well waitlisted guy was obviously a troll. Nobody heard a decision today. Sad. So sad. Maybe admissions truly care about holding true to deadlines and are working overtime tonight.

curiousnole
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiousnole » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:33 pm

It's possible that they were just blowing smoke again with the whole "April 1st" thing. A couple weeks ago a whole bunch of us were told by admissions that they'd give a huge batch of responses "Thursday or Friday" and then there weren't any. Maybe they are just so far behind and since they know they have all the leverage over us, they are just telling us these things to keep us quiet? And if you tell people there might be "15-20" admits left after this April 1st deadline, then anyone who gets one is just going to feel really lucky instead of angry about how ludicrously long it took haha.

pat4redick
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby pat4redick » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the board but have been following this thread for some time. Also still stuck at complete and received no word today. Bottoms up.

Irishtexan11
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Irishtexan11 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Same here....new but I've been following for a long time. Still stuck on complete at 11/3. Let's hope we hear sometime soon.

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:18 pm

rbomb wrote:Well waitlisted guy was obviously a troll. Nobody heard a decision today. Sad. So sad. Maybe admissions truly care about holding true to deadlines and are working overtime tonight.


This truly is sad. I refreshed my damn status checker 6,000 times today because of this guy. Per Dante, there's a 10th circle in hell for people like this. When I think of all the company time I've wasted since November, I just want to smash my computer.

ck3ku
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ck3ku » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 pm

I e-mailed Dean States today and he got back to me in a few hours with the WL decision.

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:21 pm

ck3ku wrote:I e-mailed Dean States today and he got back to me in a few hours with the WL decision.


So that's how it's done? I should have done this months ago.

vsykorova
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vsykorova » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 pm

I just spoke to the admissions office. (Someone was there at after 6:00!). They still have 100-150 acceptances to give out this 'first round'. The Dean of admission had to leave today to come to Oregon (strange, seeing as I currently live in Oregon) and they had not finished when he left. They will finish this weekend or next week with first round acceptances. Again, pushing it back some more.

Also found out that UR means that everyone on the committee (2 admissions deans and 5 professors) has looked at your application. You can still be at application complete even though someone may have started reviewing your file.

This has calmed me down. Hope it helps you guys.

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:24 pm

ck3ku wrote:I e-mailed Dean States today and he got back to me in a few hours with the WL decision.


My bad, where's my manners? Sorry to hear about the waitlist...at least it wasn't a rejection. Good luck in the WL line and hopefully we'll meet up this fall in Chapel Hill.

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 pm

vsykorova wrote:I just spoke to the admissions office. (Someone was there at after 6:00!). They still have 100-150 acceptances to give out this 'first round'. The Dean of admission had to leave today to come to Oregon (strange, seeing as I currently live in Oregon) and they had not finished when he left. They will finish this weekend or next week with first round acceptances. Again, pushing it back some more.

Also found out that UR means that everyone on the committee (2 admissions deans and 5 professors) has looked at your application. You can still be at application complete even though someone may have started reviewing your file.

This has calmed me down. Hope it helps you guys.


Hmmm....so not hearing anything yet may actually be good???? Heck, I've waited 5 months so what's another week? Meh.

ck3ku
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ck3ku » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Obviously, that's not how you get an admissions decision.
I just felt compelled to e-mail him because I was so nervous and couldn't do anything else.
I'm sorry if I made others freak out even more. I feel like this thread helped me a lot and wanted to contribute somehow.
I'm not revealing my stats but I am out of state.

Good luck to everyone else.

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:40 pm

ck3ku wrote:Obviously, that's not how you get an admissions decision.
I just felt compelled to e-mail him because I was so nervous and couldn't do anything else.
I'm sorry if I made others freak out even more. I feel like this thread helped me a lot and wanted to contribute somehow.
I'm not revealing my stats but I am out of state.

Good luck to everyone else.


Ah, so you're waitlist guy. I should have checked the thread history. Sorry, I didn't mean to banish you to the 10th circle of hell. I was going to refresh the status checker 6,000 times anyway...you just made for a convenient scapegoat. Good luck.

User avatar
rbomb
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby rbomb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Dabearsss wrote:
rbomb wrote:Well waitlisted guy was obviously a troll. Nobody heard a decision today. Sad. So sad. Maybe admissions truly care about holding true to deadlines and are working overtime tonight.


This truly is sad. I refreshed my damn status checker 6,000 times today because of this guy. Per Dante, there's a 10th circle in hell for people like this. When I think of all the company time I've wasted since November, I just want to smash my computer.



Lol.

I'm so anxious, I forgot the direction of this thread...is it better to under review or completed at this point in time?

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:46 pm

And don't worry about not revealing stats...we're all 180/4.0's in here. Heck, I've already got an MD, PharmD and a PhD...I'm just missing the JD in order to run the table, that's all.

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:53 pm

rbomb wrote:
Dabearsss wrote:
rbomb wrote:Well waitlisted guy was obviously a troll. Nobody heard a decision today. Sad. So sad. Maybe admissions truly care about holding true to deadlines and are working overtime tonight.


This truly is sad. I refreshed my damn status checker 6,000 times today because of this guy. Per Dante, there's a 10th circle in hell for people like this. When I think of all the company time I've wasted since November, I just want to smash my computer.



Lol.

I'm so anxious, I forgot the direction of this thread...is it better to under review or completed at this point in time?


I can only assume it's better to be under review. I've yet to hear of anyone under review with bad news (in fact, only good news has been the result). This is, of course, provided that those with rejections and waitlists in the past actually spoke up about them. I have heard nothing of these 2 outcomes until the singular event today.

Dabearsss
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:59 pm

In order to change the subject to something much less speculative:

To all those who went to ASD today: how was it? Any good info for the rest of us or are you all currently headed out to Franklin St. and won't respond until the Tylenol kicks in tomorrow? Um, yeah, won't hold my breath then.

Throwaway2142
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Throwaway2142 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Is there anyone besides me that did have their application status change earlier this week? This is despite me not receiving any responses anyways.

vsykorova
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vsykorova » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:25 pm

They haven't rejected anyone yet. That's what I was told today.

User avatar
PurplePirate
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PurplePirate » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:04 am

Dabearsss wrote:In order to change the subject to something much less speculative:

To all those who went to ASD today: how was it? Any good info for the rest of us or are you all currently headed out to Franklin St. and won't respond until the Tylenol kicks in tomorrow? Um, yeah, won't hold my breath then.


ASD was enjoyable. I've already attended two or three of them, so by now they all feel the same. What was different though is that I truly felt like I connected with other students. I met and hung out with four other students for much of the day, and by the end we were all pretty much set on attending in the fall.

What I will say is that almost everyone I talked to expressed some type of frustration with the admissions process. Though no one really complained too much about it (except once when someone expressed those feelings during the student panel... it was super awkward). I was told that UNC is so "slow" with their process because they truly take a holistic approach to applications. I tend to believe that.

I'm excited to attend in the fall. Good luck to all of you still awaiting a decision.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arthrod, Bing [Bot], dala77, Google Adsense [Bot], r2d2111, siyuanff and 3 guests