UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hokielaw12

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hokielaw12 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 pm

GSCgold wrote:Status is now: "application complete, under review". The stuff at the top is gone too. Good sign or does that probably just mean a big batch of WL is coming tomorrow?

I would say that's a good sign. I'm still App Complete with everything on top.

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:50 pm

was looking back at the beginning of the thread re: in state/oos an just wanted to share...when I talked to an admissions officer they said that while they receive many more in state apps and the class tends to skew in state they actually admit a near 50-50 ratio. understandably, they just get many more in staters who accept admissions offers. fingers crossed for an admit decision AND a mega-millions win tomorrow

el William

Postby el William » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:01 am

pbfoot wrote: fingers crossed for an admit decision AND a mega-millions win tomorrow

rbomb

Postby rbomb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 am

el William wrote:
pbfoot wrote: fingers crossed for an admit decision AND a mega-millions win tomorrow

+a billion

Big money, no wammies

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:02 am

good luck today everyone. i know i'll need it. im guessing that, if your status has not yet changed, you will most likely be on the waitlist/reject list.

Dabearsss

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:39 am

Yep, still complete since 11/3. I've got a waitlist/reject coming. Just hard to believe given my numbers and credentials. It's 9am and I'm already thinking about heading to the brew pub to drown my sorrows :-(

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:02 am

Dabearsss wrote:Yep, still complete since 11/3. I've got a waitlist/reject coming. Just hard to believe given my numbers and credentials. It's 9am and I'm already thinking about heading to the brew pub to drown my sorrows :-(

Are you in chapel hill/raleigh? Maybe ill join you after my meeting with a naval recruiter today. If unc doesnt want me, maybe the military does.

Dabearsss

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:07 am

Naw, I'm OOS...hence the inevitable ding/WL coming my way. Thanks for the offer though! Glad to hear I'm not the only one moving on to job searching. Been at it myself for several weeks.

Tarheel19932005

Postby Tarheel19932005 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:18 am

dextermorgan wrote:
Tarheel19932005 wrote:
nc123 wrote:Any indication of how many more acceptances there were for them to give out between now and April 1?

Honestly, no... He, rightfully, played it close to the vest. I'm sure their stance is that they really do not need to give us any of that information. However, he mentioned that there were multiple "batches" of acceptances that had yet to be sent out (as of last night). Unfortunately, April 1 is on Sunday..so I'm not sure if that means that tomorrow is their last day...or if they will be working Saturday/the weekend as well.

My gut tells me to give it until about next Wednesday before I start assuming that I am a member of the "waitlist/deny" group.

Best of luck to you!

Did he mention if an applicant would go under review before a decision? I'm still sitting at complete, and I worry that they haven't even opened my file yet.

GS Gold also wrote "Status is now: "application complete, under review". The stuff at the top is gone too. Good sign or does that probably just mean a big batch of WL is coming tomorrow?"

My response to each (and an earlier poster): No, Dean States made no indication as to whether or not the status checker would change prior to receiving a decision...BUT, from what I have read over the past Several months throughout this forum, it seems pretty likely that the status checker would change from "application complete" to "in review" or "under review" prior to receiving your decision. With that being said, I will say in response to DexterMorgan's post that they have definitely opened your file. Tossing a file out simply based on numbers is NOT UNC's practice...I honestly believe that they actually DO read each and every file they receive. Granted, maybe there are a few that are just not worth the time (i.e. 2.5 GPA 150 LSAT), but I am assuming most of us using this forum do not fall within that realm.

I, too, have been stuck at "application complete" since 11/15. My gut tells me that this means that I will be stuck in the waitlist/deny group. Here is my reasoning: Every single person I have talked to who has been accepted to UNC, and every person who has indicated on this server that they've been accepted, has indicated that they their status checkers showed that their file was "in review" JUST before they were accepted.

Thus, I believe that if we do not see our status checkers change from "complete" to "in review" prior to April 1, it is safe to assume that we will likely be waitlisted or denied... I say that because the status checker, and Dean States, both explained that those who do not receive a decision by April 1, will not be part of the "first round" of acceptances. However, I would still hold out hope until the end of next week. I only say this due to the fact that they have an inordinate amount of work in front of them...and I'm sure they don't want to include/exclude the wrong candidates.

The only thing we can all do now is be patient, hope for the best, and keep our eyes peeled on the status checkers for any movement.

GS Gold, I think you are IN, but please do follow up and let us know when you get word! Best of luck to you both! And congrats to all of accepted applicants!

Fingers crossed.....

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:24 am

Tarheel19932005 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
Tarheel19932005 wrote:
nc123 wrote:Any indication of how many more acceptances there were for them to give out between now and April 1?

Honestly, no... He, rightfully, played it close to the vest. I'm sure their stance is that they really do not need to give us any of that information. However, he mentioned that there were multiple "batches" of acceptances that had yet to be sent out (as of last night). Unfortunately, April 1 is on Sunday..so I'm not sure if that means that tomorrow is their last day...or if they will be working Saturday/the weekend as well.

My gut tells me to give it until about next Wednesday before I start assuming that I am a member of the "waitlist/deny" group.

Best of luck to you!

Did he mention if an applicant would go under review before a decision? I'm still sitting at complete, and I worry that they haven't even opened my file yet.

GS Gold also wrote "Status is now: "application complete, under review". The stuff at the top is gone too. Good sign or does that probably just mean a big batch of WL is coming tomorrow?"

My response to each (and an earlier poster): No, Dean States made no indication as to whether or not the status checker would change prior to receiving a decision...BUT, from what I have read over the past Several months throughout this forum, it seems pretty likely that the status checker would change from "application complete" to "in review" or "under review" prior to receiving your decision. With that being said, I will say in response to DexterMorgan's post that they have definitely opened your file. Tossing a file out simply based on numbers is NOT UNC's practice...I honestly believe that they actually DO read each and every file they receive. Granted, maybe there are a few that are just not worth the time (i.e. 2.5 GPA 150 LSAT), but I am assuming most of us using this forum do not fall within that realm.

I, too, have been stuck at "application complete" since 11/15. My gut tells me that this means that I will be stuck in the waitlist/deny group. Here is my reasoning: Every single person I have talked to who has been accepted to UNC, and every person who has indicated on this server that they've been accepted, has indicated that they their status checkers showed that their file was "in review" JUST before they were accepted.

Thus, I believe that if we do not see our status checkers change from "complete" to "in review" prior to April 1, it is safe to assume that we will likely be waitlisted or denied... I say that because the status checker, and Dean States, both explained that those who do not receive a decision by April 1, will not be part of the "first round" of acceptances. However, I would still hold out hope until the end of next week. I only say this due to the fact that they have an inordinate amount of work in front of them...and I'm sure they don't want to include/exclude the wrong candidates.

The only thing we can all do now is be patient, hope for the best, and keep our eyes peeled on the status checkers for any movement.

GS Gold, I think you are IN, but please do follow up and let us know when you get word! Best of luck to you both! And congrats to all of accepted applicants!

Fingers crossed.....

That is not always true. My status went straight from complete to accepted. I was never "under review" and trust me I checked. However I did turn my application in the 2nd week they started taking them and I was accepted back in December. So hang in there ., . ..

Dabearsss

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 am

pbfoot and rbomb are banking on the lottery. I've resorted to morning boozing. We all cope in our own special way.

rbomb

Postby rbomb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:56 am

I have a Tyler Hansbrough and a Jeff Saturday college jersey queued up on my wish list.

Don't let me down UNC admissions. Or lottery.

JD Janitor

Postby JD Janitor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:19 am

for those of you who consider UNC a top choice but will be waitlisted/denied...what will you do? will you go to a lesser school and pile on the debt? or will you avoid law school alltogether?

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:51 am

JD Janitor wrote:for those of you who consider UNC a top choice but will be waitlisted/denied...what will you do? will you go to a lesser school and pile on the debt? or will you avoid law school alltogether?

If I don't get in I'm taking my 1/3rd scholly from UIUC and running with it. UNC is definitely my top choice but at least it's not the end of the world if I don't end up there. I'm OOS anyway so the total amount of debt will be the same.

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:54 am

JD Janitor wrote:for those of you who consider UNC a top choice but will be waitlisted/denied...what will you do? will you go to a lesser school and pile on the debt? or will you avoid law school alltogether?

Take my scholarship to IUB and turn it into a 4-year JD/MBA

rbomb

Postby rbomb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 pm

pbfoot wrote:

Current Bloomingtonite, and an IUB undergrad here. A fine selection, my good sir. Chapel Hill and Bloomington are one in the same.

Tarheel19932005

Postby Tarheel19932005 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Scholarship offers from Case Western Reserve, Michigan State, Depaul, Wayne State and acceptances at sticker at a few others. I'll weigh the financial aspects/job prospects between those four schools and determine which school best suits my aspirations/interests. If UNC does not accept me, I will likely turn to Depaul due to its location. Chicago = awesome.

safari1408

Postby safari1408 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:26 pm

pbfoot wrote:

OOS, scholarships from Michigan State, U Pitt, Wake Forest, Loyola Chicago, sticker at U Maryland and WL at Fordham. If no acceptance from UNC, will enter job market because I'm moving to Chapel Hill in June regardless. Maybe a gap year will be in order, and will try again next cycle. Wake Forest is too far of a commute.

Dabearsss

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Tarheel19932005 wrote:

Scholarship offers from Case Western Reserve, Michigan State, Depaul, Wayne State and acceptances at sticker at a few others. I'll weigh the financial aspects/job prospects between those four schools and determine which school best suits my aspirations/interests. If UNC does not accept me, I will likely turn to Depaul due to its location. Chicago = awesome.

Huah!
-Da Bears

Dabearsss

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Dabearsss wrote:
Tarheel19932005 wrote:

Huah!
-Da Bears

Sorry, something had to put me in a good mood....I'm about to get dinged today.

Tarheel19932005

Postby Tarheel19932005 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 pm

[quote/] That is not always true. My status went straight from complete to accepted. I was never "under review" and trust me I checked. However I did turn my application in the 2nd week they started taking them and I was accepted back in December. So hang in there ., . ..[/quote]

Thank you very much for this response. I'm happy to have learned this, and I'm sure that's why these forums exist. I appreciate the knowledge, and hope that I'm one of those "complete to accepted"!

Also, congratulations on your acceptance! Have you decided to attend?

Tarheel19932005

Postby Tarheel19932005 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Dabearsss wrote:
Dabearsss wrote:
Tarheel19932005 wrote:

Huah!
-Da Bears

Sorry, something had to put me in a good mood....I'm about to get dinged today.

Haha, hey I'm going to be happy with whatever hand I'm dealt, and Depaul is currently my top choice until UNC becomes a realistic choice (something I obviously hope happens). I'm frequently in the Chi (St.Patrick'sDay) - so regardless, I'm excited about the beginning of my legal adventures...where ever they begin!

ck3ku

Postby ck3ku » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Waitlisted.

GSCgold

Postby GSCgold » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Stats?

Tyson22

Postby Tyson22 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:21 pm

ck3ku wrote:Waitlisted.

did they send you an email or update your status checker?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”