UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ThreeRivers

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:13 pm

UNClaw2015 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Listen, everyone hates / starts to lose interest in a school before they respond and offer a sick scholly then you fall in love

That being said, I applied November 2nd andd haven't heard ANY update since. If I'm unable to get accepted, get a scholarship offer I like, and visit the school / like it before April 15 then yea I probably won't attend either

It is my understanding that the school made all of the Scholarship offers that they are going to earlier this month.

:( Guess I'm out then

Hard to justify me going there for sticker based on some of the other results I've been lucky to have

Best of luck to all! Even though I guess I'm not going here, imo it'd be dumb to rule a school out just because their admission staff is pretty weak (I'd rather that be weak than their professors / career services tbh)

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:15 pm

UNClaw2015 wrote:
Bashy wrote:
UNClaw2015 wrote:I do not understand what everyone is complaining about in terms of the admissions process, I applied 10/10 and was accepted to unc 12/15.

I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the class of 2015 Cancellors Scholars.

Of course you don't understand what everyone is complaining about. Your admissions process was extremely atypical and you're getting a full ride to go to your (presumably) top choice law school.

I am not sure it was, I get the feeling that students who have not had probelms with the admissions process do not bother to post, they have no incentive to, thus leaving those who did not get in quickly to do a majority of the posting which makes it seem like the process is terrible.

To be fair, in general UNC admission process seems to be one of the worst (there are others that have bad reputations but UNC is down there with them). Although I feel that shouldn't be a deciding factor

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:21 pm

mrjohnsterman wrote:They are obviously paying attention (check the new header)

If you are admitted they will contact by April 1.

For those of you too lazy to look at your status checker, a new line appears in bold:

"We understand that several of you have deposit deadlines looming at other schools. If you are going to be admitted to UNC, you will have a decision by April 1. "

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:54 pm

PurplePirate wrote:
mrjohnsterman wrote:They are obviously paying attention (check the new header)

If you are admitted they will contact by April 1.

For those of you too lazy to look at your status checker, a new line appears in bold:

"We understand that several of you have deposit deadlines looming at other schools. If you are going to be admitted to UNC, you will have a decision by April 1. "

Well I figured they read the forum, but they seem to be speaking directly to some of the posters in this thread.

cmthomas4

Postby cmthomas4 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:16 am

Does anyone know how they are contacting people about their decision? Are you able to see it on the portal or are they only sending a letter in the mail?

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:01 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
UNClaw2015 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Listen, everyone hates / starts to lose interest in a school before they respond and offer a sick scholly then you fall in love

That being said, I applied November 2nd andd haven't heard ANY update since. If I'm unable to get accepted, get a scholarship offer I like, and visit the school / like it before April 15 then yea I probably won't attend either

It is my understanding that the school made all of the Scholarship offers that they are going to earlier this month.

:( Guess I'm out then

Hard to justify me going there for sticker based on some of the other results I've been lucky to have

Best of luck to all! Even though I guess I'm not going here, imo it'd be dumb to rule a school out just because their admission staff is pretty weak (I'd rather that be weak than their professors / career services tbh)

I would not take my word for it though. I would call and ask if I were you.

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:03 am

cmthomas4 wrote:Does anyone know how they are contacting people about their decision? Are you able to see it on the portal or are they only sending a letter in the mail?

When I got my decision they sent me an email, at almost the exact time that the status checker changed, so I assume it is some type of automatic process. I also got a letter in the mail but it came a good week and a half later.

I too had that almost obsessive need to check the portal all the time . . . but they do send an email, which if I had known I would not have been commiting my time to checking the portal/status checker as much.

skw

Postby skw » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 pm

UNClaw2015 wrote:
cmthomas4 wrote:Does anyone know how they are contacting people about their decision? Are you able to see it on the portal or are they only sending a letter in the mail?

When I got my decision they sent me an email, at almost the exact time that the status checker changed, so I assume it is some type of automatic process. I also got a letter in the mail but it came a good week and a half later.

I too had that almost obsessive need to check the portal all the time . . . but they do send an email, which if I had known I would not have been commiting my time to checking the portal/status checker as much.

1L here -- just wanted to confirm that acceptance is an automatic process with the email coming almost the same instant as the status checker changes. If you're relying on the email, make sure you check your spam box because I know some folks whose decisions were emailed and it ended up in their spam folder. Good luck to all still waiting. Decisions will start coming out -- they are known to be quite heavy all through the end of March until mid-April.

curiousnole

Postby curiousnole » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Did anyone get a response yesterday or Thursday? The admissions office told me they would send out another round on those days but I haven't seen any new responses on LSN or TLS

hokielaw12

Postby hokielaw12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Are the admitted student days only 1 day events? What's the itinerary for anyone that knows.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:07 pm

curiousnole wrote:Did anyone get a response yesterday or Thursday? The admissions office told me they would send out another round on those days but I haven't seen any new responses on LSN or TLS

They told me too.. And I didn't hold my breath.

jimmyjamXII

Postby jimmyjamXII » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:49 pm

mine has been complete since 11/28 and i applied in early october and nada from them people

BattleshipDon

Postby BattleshipDon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Hey guys - I've applied to a couple schools and its decision time. Can any of you speak to the pull that UNC has in different cities (in state) compared to Duke/Wake?

Thanks

homersimpson12

Postby homersimpson12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm

BattleshipDon wrote:Hey guys - I've applied to a couple schools and its decision time. Can any of you speak to the pull that UNC has in different cities (in state) compared to Duke/Wake?

Thanks

Pun intended: Duke is head over Heels above the unc and wake

skw

Postby skw » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:30 pm

homersimpson12 wrote:
BattleshipDon wrote:Hey guys - I've applied to a couple schools and its decision time. Can any of you speak to the pull that UNC has in different cities (in state) compared to Duke/Wake?

Thanks

Pun intended: Duke is head over Heels above the unc and wake

True out of state -- not necessarily so in state. Several recruiting attorneys I have spoken with express concern that Duke grads want big law in other cities and "settle" for NC. By contrast, Wake and UNC grads (if they have a clue) went to these schools specifically to practice in NC. Outside of NC there is obviously no contest with Duke having significantly greater prestige.

adc1222

Postby adc1222 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

skw, what about UNC vs. WF? Heard former is great for public interest and state jobs, latter private firms. I'm probably going to be deciding between UNC/WF/Vandy/Alabama...large part of me wants to settle down in NC.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:50 pm

sdphill wrote:
curiousnole wrote:Did anyone get a response yesterday or Thursday? The admissions office told me they would send out another round on those days but I haven't seen any new responses on LSN or TLS

They told me too.. And I didn't hold my breath.

They are either understaffed (probably most likely) or incompetent at their admission staff. So don't really listen to them tbh

homersimpson12

Postby homersimpson12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:51 pm

adc1222 wrote:skw, what about UNC vs. WF? Heard former is great for public interest and state jobs, latter private firms. I'm probably going to be deciding between UNC/WF/Vandy/Alabama...large part of me wants to settle down in NC.

vandy 1st unc 2nd

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 pm

adc1222 wrote:skw, what about UNC vs. WF? Heard former is great for public interest and state jobs, latter private firms. I'm probably going to be deciding between UNC/WF/Vandy/Alabama...large part of me wants to settle down in NC.

It depends on how much money you're getting and what you hope to do when you graduate. And how much of your life you want to spend paying off debt. I think way too many law students take on huge debt in exchange for prestige and hedge their bets that once they get those hefty salaries, paying off loans will be like buying groceries. But I think that's a pretty risky gamble. And paying off $150,000 of debt sucks with just about any realistic starting salary.

I don't know much about the other schools, but I would never go for Wake over UNC. UNC generally has a better reputation, and Chapel Hill rubs Winston-Salem's face on the floor when it comes to quality of life outside of law school.

Bashy

Postby Bashy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:31 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:I don't know much about the other schools, but I would never go for Wake over UNC. UNC generally has a better reputation, and Chapel Hill rubs Winston-Salem's face on the floor when it comes to quality of life outside of law school.

This is kind of where I'm at right now. With a scholarship, COA is going to be cheaper at Wake than UNC but in-state reputation combined with Chapel Hill>Winston* still tips the scale in UNC's favor.

*Seriously, guys. It's not even close.

NCGuy

Postby NCGuy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 am

NC native here (I withdrew my application already),

Winston Salem kind of sucks. I would choose The Triangle over any other area in the state, including where I'm from. UNC's reputation is also unmatched in the state, I don't really hear much about Wake for some reason. If you're between UNC and Wake and the COA is close to equal, pick UNC.

Tyson22

Postby Tyson22 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:12 pm

According to LSN, it looks like UNC released a lot of decisions on 3/23... hopefully we will hear from them within the next few days. Regardless, I guess some of us will hear something by April 1.

adc1222

Postby adc1222 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks for the information. I'd have to pay around $26K a yr at Vandy, Wake hasn't offered but should (I applied in early Feb), UNC hasn't responded, and Bama would cost around $6K. So therein lies the quandary haha.

I don't want to do big law, I don't think. I went to college in Philly and am sick of the Northeast. I'm from VA and want to move back down South for good. Guess you could say I have more of a geographical pref than a field pref. Never been to Bama before...going to ASP in a week or two...also going to see the other three schools. Don't know if I can stay in Alabama forever or even the Gulf Coast area on a whole, but it would be very cheap compared to the rest. I'm going to try to negotiate with the two schools I have offers from, too.

Thanks for the advice. I know C-H is a lot more fun than W-S, but what about job opportunities afterwards?

NCGuy

Postby NCGuy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:16 pm

adc1222 wrote:Thanks for the information. I'd have to pay around $26K a yr at Vandy, Wake hasn't offered but should (I applied in early Feb), UNC hasn't responded, and Bama would cost around $6K. So therein lies the quandary haha.

I don't want to do big law, I don't think. I went to college in Philly and am sick of the Northeast. I'm from VA and want to move back down South for good. Guess you could say I have more of a geographical pref than a field pref. Never been to Bama before...going to ASP in a week or two...also going to see the other three schools. Don't know if I can stay in Alabama forever or even the Gulf Coast area on a whole, but it would be very cheap compared to the rest. I'm going to try to negotiate with the two schools I have offers from, too.

Thanks for the advice. I know C-H is a lot more fun than W-S, but what about job opportunities afterwards?

Like I said, UNC has an unparallelled reputation in the state. In fact, most of our elected officials come from UNC Law (with the exception of the last two governors, almost ALL governors came from there). Chapel Hill's location in the Research Triangle also gives one good networking opportunities in the Raleigh/Durham market.

Wake is a good school and you can't go wrong going there but I'd definitely take UNC. Wake and UNC could get you jobs in NC and possibly even your home market in VA. Alabama will keep you tied to Alabama.

Bashy

Postby Bashy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:31 pm

NCGuy wrote:Like I said, UNC has an unparallelled reputation in the state. In fact, most of our elected officials come from UNC Law (with the exception of the last two governors, almost ALL governors came from there). Chapel Hill's location in the Research Triangle also gives one good networking opportunities in the Raleigh/Durham market.

This is all credited. If you want to go into government work, UNC is the place to go. I believe our entire Supreme Court hold law degrees from UNC.

That said, most of the private practice lawyers I know are UNC grads. An admittedly small sample of all unc grads, but still reassuring in my mind.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”