UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sdphill

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sdphill » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 am

Dr.JD wrote:You may be right about the weak admission staff but because of them, I may not be attending. In the end it may not matter but they are unnecessarily shrinking the pool of great applicants from which they can choose. If they had 1000, they now may have 999.

If I do not hear anything by tomorrow, I will withdraw my application. I have to make a decision in two weeks. I know some schools have a slow process too, but I don't even know if I am UR right now and I submitted in January. At least at other schools, TLSers know that other people have been receiving decisions. 202 decisions are not A LOT and is definitely not reflective of how many people have applied thus far.

With the Chancellor Scholarship, I have been pushed to believe that they only looked at numbers, which is not right (IMO), because they haven't been through most of the applications to see what applicants offers to the pool and thus the Chancellor Scholarship.

All of this is a big turn-off... ;(

Dr.JD

Postby Dr.JD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:59 am

sdphill wrote:
Dr.JD wrote:You may be right about the weak admission staff but because of them, I may not be attending. In the end it may not matter but they are unnecessarily shrinking the pool of great applicants from which they can choose. If they had 1000, they now may have 999.

If I do not hear anything by tomorrow, I will withdraw my application. I have to make a decision in two weeks. I know some schools have a slow process too, but I don't even know if I am UR right now and I submitted in January. At least at other schools, TLSers know that other people have been receiving decisions. 202 decisions are not A LOT and is definitely not reflective of how many people have applied thus far.

With the Chancellor Scholarship, I have been pushed to believe that they only looked at numbers, which is not right (IMO), because they haven't been through most of the applications to see what applicants offers to the pool and thus the Chancellor Scholarship.

VERY good point and VERY insightful. Sheds more light on the sub par admissions process at UNC and their disinterest in applicants as a whole person.

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Watch them release decisions today haha

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:04 pm

PurplePirate wrote:Watch them release decisions today haha

That would be them.. They're probably looking at the forum and laughing! Saying something like "stupid kids..."

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:02 pm

sdphill wrote:
PurplePirate wrote:Watch them release decisions today haha

That would be them.. They're probably looking at the forum and laughing! Saying something like "stupid kids..."

It would be more like them to let Friday come and go with no decisions being made and not a peep of information coming from their admissions office.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm going to withdraw this weekend. As well as every other school I'm no longer considering.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Dr.JD wrote:
el William wrote:
Dr.JD wrote:I toured the school recently. I wasn't able to meet the dean but I did meet a number of the admissions staff. Most if not all seemed uninterested in speaking to me. Some even exuded arrogance. None were welcoming and absolutely none of the admissions staff were friendly.

I gotta say my experience when I visited was quite different. I took a tour and sat in on a class about a month ago. Aftr the class was over, students in the class answered lots of questions that me and the other visiting student wanted to ask. The tour guides were really friendly, and when I stopped by admissions to ask a question about updating my app, the folks in there were nice too.

I think that the admissions process is "terrible" at a lot of other schools too. The waiting game isnt fun for anyone, I know. My frustration level is pretty high too, but I am not going to let it turn me off to a great law school. When will you ever have to deal with the admissions staff while you are a student? The rankings "plummet" is not a big deal, it's only a few spots and the ranking really don't mean that much.

Most of the students seemed nice enough (some were disinterested). As for the admissions staff, NONE were friendly. You will most likely not have to deal with them once you gain admission, however, if the admissions staff is unfriendly I can imagine that attitude bleeding over into other areas of the school. UNC was ranked 28 just 2 or 3 years ago. Now they are 38. YES the rankings do matter. A gain or loss of a few spots is no big deal but a downward trend over several years IS a big deal. By your logic, 28-30-38 doesnt matter. That could be extended by your logic to also include 38-43-50 doesnt matter. I argue that YES it does matter and that very well could be the direction the school is headed.

The rankings drop this year may not matter for students graduating this year but it will certaintly impact students graduating over the next several years if the downward trend continues. Combine this with serious funding cuts to the school and a rising tuition and UNC is no longer the gem it previously was.

You realize that in 2007-2009 UNC was ranked 38 or 39 right?

Frankly between ~20 and 100 the rankings really are irrelevant. You should choose schools based on where you want to practice, and if that is in NC then UNC is one of (if not the) strongest choices.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:34 am

Listen, everyone hates / starts to lose interest in a school before they respond and offer a sick scholly then you fall in love

That being said, I applied November 2nd andd haven't heard ANY update since. If I'm unable to get accepted, get a scholarship offer I like, and visit the school / like it before April 15 then yea I probably won't attend either

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 am

sdphill wrote:

I have not seen this site before; however,

I am not sure I agree with what everyone is saying in terms of the admissions process, I applied 10/10 and got my answer 12/15.

As far as the Chancellors Scholarship, they look at everyones application that was turned in by December 31st. I was invited to compete for the scholarship along with 19 other applicants, and trust me, they look at more than just the numbers - Dean States goes through and reads each application and pulls out the ones he thinks would be good candidate.

Part of the competition was a mini admitted students day where they answered any question one might have. So if anyone has any questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

In terms of the admitted students Day being the same day as the deposit is due, this is because it is meant for students who are planning on attending, they do daily tours before then to help you decide if you want to go.
Last edited by UNClaw2015 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Listen, everyone hates / starts to lose interest in a school before they respond and offer a sick scholly then you fall in love

That being said, I applied November 2nd andd haven't heard ANY update since. If I'm unable to get accepted, get a scholarship offer I like, and visit the school / like it before April 15 then yea I probably won't attend either

It is my understanding that the school made all of the Scholarship offers that they are going to earlier this month.

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:53 am

I read thru a few more of every ones comments and I just wanted to let you guys know that the status checker is not always accurate, for example on december 15th I checked my application status at 10 am and it said complete, (but it did not say under review) - I then checked it again at 12:30 and I had been accepted. I would not stress too much if your file does not say under review, as mine never did.

Bashy

Postby Bashy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:33 am

UNClaw2015 wrote:I do not understand what everyone is complaining about in terms of the admissions process, I applied 10/10 and was accepted to unc 12/15.

I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the class of 2015 Cancellors Scholars.

Of course you don't understand what everyone is complaining about. Your admissions process was extremely atypical and you're getting a full ride to go to your (presumably) top choice law school.

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:38 am

Bashy wrote:
UNClaw2015 wrote:I do not understand what everyone is complaining about in terms of the admissions process, I applied 10/10 and was accepted to unc 12/15.

I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the class of 2015 Cancellors Scholars.

Of course you don't understand what everyone is complaining about. Your admissions process was extremely atypical and you're getting a full ride to go to your (presumably) top choice law school.

TITCR

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 am

Bashy wrote:

I am not sure it was, I get the feeling that students who have not had probelms with the admissions process do not bother to post, they have no incentive to, thus leaving those who did not get in quickly to do a majority of the posting which makes it seem like the process is terrible.

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:51 am

UNClaw2015 wrote:
Bashy wrote:

I am not sure it was, I get the feeling that students who have not had probelms with the admissions process do not bother to post, they have no incentive to, thus leaving those who did not get in quickly to do a majority of the posting which makes it seem like the process is terrible.

There probably are not a lot of you that didn't have problems. If you go back to threads from previous years you will see that UNC admissions' "issues" are chronic.

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:56 am

PurplePirate wrote:
UNClaw2015 wrote:
Bashy wrote:

There probably are not a lot of you that didn't have problems. If you go back to threads from previous years you will see that the UNC admissions' "issues" are chronic.

Again, I am sure the same thing has happened in past years, everyone I have talked to off of this site has had no problems with the admissions process. I am sure they can make it more expediant, but I also think it is improtant to turn in your application in October. (I am not sure when you turned yours in) but I noticed that many who have been having probles did not.

Still waiting

Postby Still waiting » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 am

UNClaw2015 wrote:
Bashy wrote:

Seriously? UNC has 200 decisions rendered....from a pile of thousands of applications. Many of us have better scores than those who have been accepted and applied months ago. So please don't refer to the discussion as complaining...these are legitimate concerns. Your admissions process was certainly atypical and frankly, no one cares for your condescending bragging anyway.

UNClaw2015

Postby UNClaw2015 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:00 am

Still waiting wrote:
UNClaw2015 wrote:
Bashy wrote:

Seriously? UNC has 200 decisions rendered....from a pile of thousands of applications. Many of us have better scores than those who have been accepted and applied months ago. So please don't refer to the discussion as complaining...these are legitimate concerns. Your admissions process was certainly atypical and frankly, no one cares for your condescending bragging anyway.

That is not what I am trying to do. There is no reason to get personal,

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Dr.JD wrote:
sdphill wrote:

VERY good point and VERY insightful. Sheds more light on the sub par admissions process at UNC and their disinterest in applicants as a whole person.

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and come out. As a Chancellor's Scholar, I know personally that numbers alone aren't what get you the scholarship. Exactly what it is I can't tell you because I don't know, but I do know that it's not just numbers. And even if it were about the numbers, it's not like UNC would be unique in going for the applicants with the high stats. Average numbers of the class has a big effect on the US News ranking. If you people are going to make such a big deal about the US News ranking (which I've heard a lot of people do around here), then you can't get mad at a school for trying to improve where it falls on that godforsaken list.

I apologize if I sound rude, but I'm getting a little irritated. I know that it's frustrating to wait. I know that receiving such little communication from the admissions office can make you feel bitter. And I know how tempting it is to rely on US News rankings, because this is a hard decision and numbers seem like such concrete guidance. I care a lot about my school, and I get pretty miffed when I hear over and over again that people are dissatisfied with the admissions office and then are translating that dissatisfaction to the school as a whole. Once you become a student, you. do. not. interact. with. the. admissions. team. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to decide that you're not going to go to a school because the lady at the front desk in the admissions office PMSed at you, if that's your reason. If you're so easily turned off, then UNC might not be for you. In general, the people who are here are the ones that love Carolina and (to the extent that law students are capable of love) love each other. It's a supportive atmosphere. Whatever US News says, I made my decision last April and I haven't regretted it for a second.

I'm saying this stuff not because I want to cause drama or alienate people. I want you guys to come. I want you guys to hold out until you can't possibly hold out anymore, because behind the curtain that the admissions team has unfortunately put up, people here are friendly, and they love Carolina and want you to love it too.

cdsteve2

Postby cdsteve2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:18 pm

I have been at Application Complete since November. Like many comments I have read, I am shocked that UNC has only released 200 decisions. So I guess we are suppose to pay seat deposits elsewhere, not to mention MOVE, then drop everything when they finally make decisions for the rest of the thousands of applications waiting.

Anyway, I just want to share my experience with admissions thus far...
They have had my application for almost five months. Last week as I was trying to pass the time of this waiting game, I re-downloaded my app from LSAC. I am so glad I did because I wouldn't have caught that my Topic 2 essay was never received! (Even though my status has been at complete since November). I had to email THEM immediately and ask if in fact my application WAS missing one of my essays. Someone in the office checked and Topic 2 was never sent from LSAC. She let me email my original essay I submitted through LSAC in November. But seriously?! How could you not notice that an entire essay was not with my application? I could have been rejected for reasons totally out of my control and would have probably never even known. I just really hope all of this confusion doesn't hurt my chances.
So for those of you still waiting like me, it wouldn't hurt to double check your application just in case I am not the only one they "overlooked."

With all of that said, I will continue waiting for my top choice... still wish they were more on the ball though!!

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Not looking like this week's the week.

Dabearsss

Postby Dabearsss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:17 pm

YouDontKnowMe -

I'd like to thank you and the crew of classmates you rounded up for your thoughtful insight you consistently post in these threads. It's nice to have UNC insiders to refer to and gather information from. With the level of effort you put in to this, it's understandable that you become irritated with some of the UNC badmouthing going on.

To the thread as a whole: if the admissions office becomes your reason for withdrawing, then I thank you as well...more room for me to get admitted. Though, it's a rather odd reason to withdraw and I don't think any school's admission office is representative of the school as a whole, even the ones where the admissions personnel pander to your every desire.

I guess I'm one of the frustrated many who've been waiting for months with no news, but UNC has always been my top choice so I'll continue to ride it out. I hate having my patience tested just as much as the next person, but there's nothing I can do about it. Regarding whether numbers and rankings matter: well of course they do. They wouldn't exist if they didn't. Your grades and LSAT score matter to UNC just as their ranking does to you. It sucks, but it's a fact. The degree to which they matter is highly debatable. But, UNC isn't going to fall to the bottom of the list (and likely isn't going to top Yale either), just like an 2.0/150 student likely isn't going to ace 1L and be top 1%. I'm still not so convinced whether this "holistic" approach is utilized to the degree all schools try to pitch it as. I'm not a URM and am out of state...strike 1 and strike 2 and obviously here I still sit, regardless of my very good credentials, and am now looking for new employment just in case (this is my gripe). I suppose knowing that I don't fulfill URM or residency quotas should have immediately foretold I was going to be waiting a while.

But those who have to pay seat deposits at other schools soon yet are still waiting on UNC as their top choice do have every reason to gripe at the situation. It sucks and there's really no other way to describe it. But I do agree with YouDontKnowMe in that those who really could care less about UNC should probably avoid public bashing of the admissions office and the school on these threads. I applaud those that got in to other schools they like better and have the opportunity to simply withdraw and head in another direction (please feel free to do so sooner rather than later). But it is kind of an insult to the rest of us who are taking the UNC or bust approach to constantly reiterate how you're going to kick UNC to the curb primarily based on impatience.

Oh, and cdsteve2...you posted while I was writing this and I'd also like to say thanks to you as well for the advice. Think I'll check whether anything is missing from my application, though I'm pretty sure I obsessed enough over it to ensure every spot of ink was in the right place.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:28 pm

UNClaw2015 wrote:Again, I am sure the same thing has happened in past years, everyone I have talked to off of this site has had no problems with the admissions process. I am sure they can make it more expediant, but I also think it is improtant to turn in your application in October. (I am not sure when you turned yours in) but I noticed that many who have been having probles did not.

For the record I'm sitting on an October application. I have less than two weeks before my first deposit deadline. I mean I think everything is relative. Most schools scramble to finish reading and UNC is basically taking their time while not respecting applicants' timeline. That's really why it's frustrating. It's one thing to make everyone wait a while, but another to have no communication all the way up to deposit deadlines.

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:10 pm

They are obviously paying attention (check the new header)

If you are admitted they will contact by April 1.

favrefire4

Postby favrefire4 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:12 pm

mrjohnsterman wrote:They are obviously paying attention (check the new header)

If you are admitted they will contact by April 1.

Yep...this.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”