UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoctorSpanky

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DoctorSpanky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Awesome! Just got 10,000 units of loot per annum myself.

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Well I was active all over my campus and worked a job professionally for two yrs. BUT I know a UNC 3L and he flat out told me he got in nc he was black. We went to undergrad together and his numbers were U Memphis good not UNC.

I can fill up a resume with numerous achievements and group work etc but when I hear diversity white male doesn't jump to the front of the line. I am still hoping for good news and would take UNC at sticker in a heartbeat

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
RaiderBlue17 wrote:
bmt3000 wrote:Under review for a while myself too but realistically, I don't care. I want to go to UNC so if they're going to admit me they can take their time. I'll still go. I'm a reach though, ~3.3, 158, and out of state (Miami, FL). Talked with Jennifer Kott a few times though and really sparked my interest. Praying for good news.

We're in the same boat 159 and 3.66 I lack the diversity that I've heard UNC looks for on out of state students, unless you count the fact that grads from my school attend Memphis on the reg... that or unaccredited universities...

It's not just racial diversity, you know. My diversity essay was about having been involved in a bunch of random organizations in undergrad--fencing club, Queer Student Union*, Taiwanese Student Association*, and Harry Potter Club, to name a few.

*I am neither gay nor Taiwanese.

NCSU>UNC

Postby NCSU>UNC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Hope I hear something soon.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:08 pm

hokielaw12 wrote:
sdphill wrote:She said that *HOPEFULLY* they will send out more decisions by next week, but she does not know

Don't hold your breath. I'm not.

I definitely won't.

Tyson22

Postby Tyson22 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:08 pm

sdphill wrote:I got the guts to call Carolina Law and ask when decisions will be released... She said that *HOPEFULLY* they will send out more decisions by next week, but she does not know and that we should not be alarmed. She also stated they have only given decisions to 202 people and she expects to get 250 more out by the end of this month. She also said that May 1, every applicant will have a decision. I thought all of you guys will like to know this information.

I am so glad someone called. But like everyone else said, I doubt we will hear anything next week. That is surprising though that 202 people have received decisions... i guess a lot of people from this cycle are not using TLS or LSN.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:59 am

In the "UNC Students taking questions" thread someone mentioned that UNC is extremely diverse-friendly, particularly with their OOS applicants. Without starting a war over affirmative action, can anyone tell me where I could go to research UNC's tendencies when it comes to NON-URM hispanics? I would be interested to see what kind of boost we get, if any.

adika86

Postby adika86 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:33 am

Tyson22 wrote:
sdphill wrote:I got the guts to call Carolina Law and ask when decisions will be released... She said that *HOPEFULLY* they will send out more decisions by next week, but she does not know and that we should not be alarmed. She also stated they have only given decisions to 202 people and she expects to get 250 more out by the end of this month. She also said that May 1, every applicant will have a decision. I thought all of you guys will like to know this information.

I am so glad someone called. But like everyone else said, I doubt we will hear anything next week. That is surprising though that 202 people have received decisions... i guess a lot of people from this cycle are not using TLS or LSN.

They did say they would get scholarship info out by Friday and I got an email with 20k/yr. I'm OOS and numbers are in profile.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. Sounds like there will be a lot of admits soon!

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:In the "UNC Students taking questions" thread someone mentioned that UNC is extremely diverse-friendly, particularly with their OOS applicants. Without starting a war over affirmative action, can anyone tell me where I could go to research UNC's tendencies when it comes to NON-URM hispanics? I would be interested to see what kind of boost we get, if any.

I'm not sure what you mean by non-URM hispanic. Are some kinds of hispanics URM and others aren't?

Again, it's not just racial diversity. They also look at diversity of age, experience, etc. I've made it through two different application processes that asked me to explain how I'm diverse, and I'm white and straight out of undergrad. A lot of it is how well you can advocate for yourself, how well you can convince them that you're the perfect candidate for whatever they're looking for. This is law school, after all.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:25 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by non-URM hispanic. Are some kinds of hispanics URM and others aren't?

From what I understand, URMs or Under-Represented Minorities are those minorities who have been under represented in the US, such as African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans and Native Americans. So say for example you're from Chile. That doesn't make you a URM per se, since Chileans haven't been an under-represented minority in the US. So you could be Hispanic, or Asian, or whatever else, but if there's no history of you in the US as a group, then you don't really count.

HOWEVER, even if URM status only counts for rankings, having someone from Chile might me of value to CERTAIN schools because they take into consideration the fact that they'd bring diversity into the classroom in the form of different cultural values and such.

The idea is that URMs get a certain boost in their applications. Though I insist that URMs get the boost not because of them being URMs per se, but because historically, they've had to overcome significant barriers in order to be where they are.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:07 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:

From what I understand, URMs or Under-Represented Minorities are those minorities who have been under represented in the US, such as African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans and Native Americans. So say for example you're from Chile. That doesn't make you a URM per se, since Chileans haven't been an under-represented minority in the US. So you could be Hispanic, or Asian, or whatever else, but if there's no history of you in the US as a group, then you don't really count.

HOWEVER, even if URM status only counts for rankings, having someone from Chile might me of value to CERTAIN schools because they take into consideration the fact that they'd bring diversity into the classroom in the form of different cultural values and such.

The idea is that URMs get a certain boost in their applications. Though I insist that URMs get the boost not because of them being URMs per se, but because historically, they've had to overcome significant barriers in order to be where they are.

WHOA Asians don't count at all. We are definitely ORMs.

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 pm

fltanglab wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:

WHOA Asians don't count at all. We are definitely ORMs.

Well, there's a difference between Asians and Asian Americans. Also, URMs also depend on schools. Asian AMERICANS are not an ORM at University of Alabama, I don't think.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:06 pm

If I don't hear by Friday, I will withdraw my application... It'll be the 10 week mark... I have to make decisions VERY SOON.

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:18 pm

sdphill wrote:If I don't hear by Friday, I will withdraw my application... It'll be the 10 week mark... I have to make decisions VERY SOON.

I probably sound like a broken record, but I'm thinking it might do you some good to call Dean States and tell him just that, that you have to make a decision VERY SOON. Especially if you're ready to throw the towel in anyway.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:22 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
sdphill wrote:If I don't hear by Friday, I will withdraw my application... It'll be the 10 week mark... I have to make decisions VERY SOON.

I probably sound like a broken record, but I'm thinking it might do you some good to call Dean States and tell him just that, that you have to make a decision VERY SOON. Especially if you're ready to throw the towel in anyway.

I'll do that Monday...

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm

I think it's ridiculous that so many of us haven't heard anything in so long. I'm going on 8 weeks now with nothing, I know there are others who have been waiting far longer. But at this point, what's the use in withdrawing your application, especially if you haven't even heard back yet? You paid the fee (at least, the lsac fee) so why not just wait it out? You don't get a refund when you withdraw.

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:25 pm

16 weeks here! absolutely, completely ridiculous. would calling really do anything? i think i might give it a go regardless; there is zero possibility of me attending if i have to wait until may 1 since i have to make a decision by the end of this month.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:41 pm

It's not realistically going to take until May 1st is it? I thought another poster on here said that decisions will be made in mid-march. Where did you get that date from?

srrrrh

Postby srrrrh » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:11 pm

though hopefully it'll just be the people who applied at the very last minute who have to wait that long? but regardless i doubt i'd attend if i don't get accepted well before the end of march since i have deposit deadlines april 1

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 am

srrrrh wrote:

though hopefully it'll just be the people who applied at the very last minute who have to wait that long? but regardless i doubt i'd attend if i don't get accepted well before the end of march since i have deposit deadlines april 1

My mistake, I didn't see that post. That's absolutely ridiculous. May 1st?? Who could possibly wait that long?

LawSchool2015

Postby LawSchool2015 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:10 pm

I know a number of people have called and/or e-mailed UNC to ask about the timeline for decisions. I obviously don't want to disrupt anyone's work and further delay the process, but I'm considering e-mailing Dean States to express my continued interest and inquire as to when a decision may be reached. My LSAT score is 171 and I'm in-state. UNC is my top choice and I'd like to say I'm in it for the long haul, but with the expense and planning that goes into moving my family (potentially out of state), I do feel pressured to decide quite soon.

Would anyone advise against contacting Dean States? Is there a better person to whom I can direct my e-mail?

Tyson22

Postby Tyson22 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:25 pm

LawSchool2015 wrote:I know a number of people have called and/or e-mailed UNC to ask about the timeline for decisions. I obviously don't want to disrupt anyone's work and further delay the process, but I'm considering e-mailing Dean States to express my continued interest and inquire as to when a decision may be reached. My LSAT score is 171 and I'm in-state. UNC is my top choice and I'd like to say I'm in it for the long haul, but with the expense and planning that goes into moving my family (potentially out of state), I do feel pressured to decide quite soon.

Would anyone advise against contacting Dean States? Is there a better person to whom I can direct my e-mail?

I have heard he has been very accommodating to people with questions. I personally don't have any experience with him, but it couldn't hurt to ask. With your LSAT score, I wouldn't think you were in any jeopardy of putting them off by contacting them. I also thought about contacting them - I think at this point everyone is just getting tired of waiting. I have been application complete since October and my file still isn't under review. It is very frustrating.

bruinsfan4

Postby bruinsfan4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Tyson22 wrote:
LawSchool2015 wrote:I know a number of people have called and/or e-mailed UNC to ask about the timeline for decisions. I obviously don't want to disrupt anyone's work and further delay the process, but I'm considering e-mailing Dean States to express my continued interest and inquire as to when a decision may be reached. My LSAT score is 171 and I'm in-state. UNC is my top choice and I'd like to say I'm in it for the long haul, but with the expense and planning that goes into moving my family (potentially out of state), I do feel pressured to decide quite soon.

I have heard he has been very accommodating to people with questions. I personally don't have any experience with him, but it couldn't hurt to ask. With your LSAT score, I wouldn't think you were in any jeopardy of putting them off by contacting them. I also thought about contacting them - I think at this point everyone is just getting tired of waiting. I have been application complete since October and my file still isn't under review. It is very frustrating.[/quote

I called today. Although they were accomodating, I could definitely sense that they do not appreciate being called. That being said, I spoke with Jennifer Kott, Director of Admissions, and she was very nice and sympathetic to our anxiety. I won't say that I hurt my chances in any way (hopefully), but definitely did nothing to improve my position.

hokielaw12

Postby hokielaw12 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:23 pm

A new wave of admits will be out sometime this month. Then based on withdrawals they will send out another wave at the end of April. Not enjoyable, but seems to be pretty simple.

Tyson22

Postby Tyson22 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm

bruinsfan4 wrote:
Tyson22 wrote:

I have heard he has been very accommodating to people with questions. I personally don't have any experience with him, but it couldn't hurt to ask. With your LSAT score, I wouldn't think you were in any jeopardy of putting them off by contacting them. I also thought about contacting them - I think at this point everyone is just getting tired of waiting. I have been application complete since October and my file still isn't under review. It is very frustrating.[/quote

I called today. Although they were accomodating, I could definitely sense that they do not appreciate being called. That being said, I spoke with Jennifer Kott, Director of Admissions, and she was very nice and sympathetic to our anxiety. I won't say that I hurt my chances in any way (hopefully), but definitely did nothing to improve my position.

Did she give any indication of what is going on? When they will give more acceptances, how many more, any scholarship money left, etc.?

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:24 pm

bruinsfan4 wrote:I called today. Although they were accomodating, I could definitely sense that they do not appreciate being called. That being said, I spoke with Jennifer Kott, Director of Admissions, and she was very nice and sympathetic to our anxiety. I won't say that I hurt my chances in any way (hopefully), but definitely did nothing to improve my position.

Jenn Kott was nice and sympathetic? I'm impressed. She has a history/reputation from last year of not being so polite. She must have taken the criticisms on board. Bravo.

But I would still direct my efforts at contact toward Dean States. In my experience, when he's put on the spot the man gets stuff done.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”