UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:47 pm

If you are serious about UNC, make sure to write all of the essays, especially if you have a low or high LSAT score for the school. The essays will really make all the difference in showing the you are serious candidate that wants UNC (if your LSAT is way above their 75%) or a candidate that is more than just an LSAT score (if below their 25%).

User avatar
EMH99
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby EMH99 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:50 pm

.
Last edited by EMH99 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
srrrrh
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants

Postby srrrrh » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:05 am

^ i'm above the LSAT 75th and around the GPA 75th and when i emailed them asking for one they told me they only give out need-based waivers? i'm OOS fwiw

User avatar
Bashy
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bashy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:09 am

From an email I sent asking about fee waivers (emphasis mine):

Thank you for your continued interest in the University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill.

We offer application fee waivers for those applicants in financial hardship only. For more information pertaining to how to apply for an application fee waiver please visit this provided link here, http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/applynow/default.aspx.

If you have additional inquires do let me know and feel free to directly contact me.

Yours truly,
/Jennifer R. Kott
Director of Admissions


ETA: They do give waivers for Teach for America, however.
Last edited by Bashy on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bashy
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bashy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 am

Just got my status checker today, application sent in on 11-30.

My residency form is still in the mail, apparently, so my application is incomplete as of right now.

jdm0009
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jdm0009 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 pm

I emailed and they granted me a merit based fee waiver. GPA 75th and LSAT 50th and out of state. Sent App 10/28 and went complete today.

User avatar
Bashy
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bashy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:12 am

jdm0009 wrote:I emailed and they granted me a merit based fee waiver. GPA 75th and LSAT 50th and out of state. Sent App 10/28 and went complete today.


I don't like being lied to. :? :?

User avatar
AlexanderSupertramp
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 am

Ahhhhh, UNC, don't ever change.

User avatar
YouDontKnowMe
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi guys, a few things:

1. Whoever said he/she spoke to the UNC law head of admissions in Iowa and "she" said, etc. ... There might have been a miscommunication.. The head of UNC admissions is a HE. And the only reason I'm correcting this is that he, Dean States, is super-awesome, and if you ever have any questions I would recommend trying to get in contact with him directly, because the people who answer the phone in the admissions office are known for being not-so-nice... The SHE you spoke to in Iowa might have been Jenn Kott, who is one of those who is among those known for being not so nice. She also reads these forums, so be ye careful what identifying information you post, because if you say who you are and say something bad about the admissions team, she will call you, and she will yell at you.
On that note, once you get here, you never see the admissions team, and everyone else is peachy.

2. I don't know if this is a little late, but anyone who hasn't sent in their applications yet, I would tailor your essays to be as public-interest- and diversity-oriented as possible. They really dig that stuff here.

3. I heard Dean States say that they planned to get about 50 decisions out by Christmas.

4. Yes, the UNC School of Law admissions team takes a freaking age to get back to people. Yes, people in the admissions offices for private schools will be nicer because they get paid more and because they have to grovel at your feet to keep you from realizing that the extra $25,000 a year you're paying isn't worth it. So go ahead, get mad at the admissions team or whatever, because they WILL take forever. And people will start getting pissed off and saying that it's because UNC thinks they're better than everyone else in the world. Yeah, not true. It's a relatively low-funded school, being public and all, but it's great, and the rest of the administrators and professors for the most part care a lot about their students' well-being. So get as mad as you want at the admissions team, but do me a favor and don't take it as a reflection of UNC law as a whole, okay?

PM me if you have any questions. As law schools go, I think UNC is one of the best if not digging yourself 6 feet under in debt is one of your priorities.

User avatar
Bashy
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bashy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Sent my residency form from Raleigh to CH a week ago. No updates on status checkers. Can I email that stuff in to make sure they're gotten it, or should I drop it off at their office directly?

Probably won't make a move until early next week, but would like to get some input/opinions.

TXG
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TXG » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:31 pm

As a public institution, is UNC required to admit a certain percentage of in-staters? Does this make admissions more competitive for us out-of-staters?

I know it depends on the public institution (UT required to keep 65% of 1L class in-state, whereas there is no requirement at UCDavis)

User avatar
Bashy
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bashy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:48 pm

TXG wrote:As a public institution, is UNC required to admit a certain percentage of in-staters? Does this make admissions more competitive for us out-of-staters?

I know it depends on the public institution (UT required to keep 65% of 1L class in-state, whereas there is no requirement at UCDavis)


From UNC Law's website:

"Each entering class is usually comprised of 70-75 percent in-state students and 25-30 percent out-of-state students. Therefore, each applicant's residency status must be determined before a final admission decision can be made."

User avatar
Bashy
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bashy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Just went complete. Now, about that acceptance...

User avatar
auburnbelle89
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby auburnbelle89 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Been complete for a month. Visited UNC last summer and loved it. One of my top choices, so I'd love to hear soon, but since I'm OOS, I feel like I'll be waiting until February at the earliest.

emcoast32
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby emcoast32 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:36 pm

IN!! just got the email. sent early november, UR yesterday. OOS.

User avatar
beezy08
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby beezy08 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:41 pm

emcoast32 wrote:IN!! just got the email. sent early november, UR yesterday. OOS.


Already? Congrats! I thought they didn't start accepting until January. Hope I hear soon!

emcoast32
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby emcoast32 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:50 pm

thanks. i'm as shocked as you are. best of luck to you!

User avatar
auburnbelle89
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby auburnbelle89 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:02 pm

IN!!! I never went under review on my status checker. OOS, so I am really shocked to get this so early. No mention of when they are sending scholarship info.

User avatar
Bashy
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bashy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Congrats, guys!

Time to start obsessively refreshing status checkers until I get a decision.

dreamflower
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:17 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dreamflower » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:19 pm

When did all you new acceptances apply/go complete?

User avatar
auburnbelle89
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby auburnbelle89 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:28 pm

dreamflower wrote:When did all you new acceptances apply/go complete?


I applied the end of October and went complete 11/10.

dkpianoman
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dkpianoman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Accepted!

User avatar
srrrrh
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby srrrrh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:28 pm

congrats guys!! i went complete 11/18 so here's hoping i hear back soon!

kickthebcket
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kickthebcket » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:26 pm

auburnbelle89 wrote:IN!!! I never went under review on my status checker. OOS, so I am really shocked to get this so early. No mention of when they are sending scholarship info.


Congrats!! Stats?

User avatar
auburnbelle89
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby auburnbelle89 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:39 pm

kickthebcket wrote:
auburnbelle89 wrote:IN!!! I never went under review on my status checker. OOS, so I am really shocked to get this so early. No mention of when they are sending scholarship info.


Congrats!! Stats?


163/4.0; average softs. I think my PS was pretty strong, and I made my Why UNC essay really specific (discussed my experiences from my visit, clinics, etc.)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cyclawps, dddddd90, Keilz, lymenheimer, pizzagoblin, TudoBem and 16 guests