UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
YouDontKnowMe

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:52 pm

TexasWave wrote:I was told like 2-3 weeks ago that I was one of 20 or so finalists for the Chancellor Scholarships, and that half of the candidates would be chosen, based on an interview on that special weekend. Sadly I couldn't go to the weekend and so I hope that the online/phone interview people like me will still have a chance, when they get to dealing with us after the weekend...

Congrats! No matter how the interview goes, you still get 75%. There are only 20 this year? There were about 30 last year, and I think a little fewer than half got the full ride.

BenPH wrote:
YouDontKnowMe wrote:
BenPH wrote:Apparently the bulk of UNC's applicants this year have no interest in TLS/LSN.

That's a shame. There was such a community on here last year. We had drama and everything!

Haha, I just went and read a chunk of last year's forum, trying to figure out when scholarship info went out, whether they negotiate, etc. What a mess. Looks like the admissions office ran out of time and straight up waitlisted everybody that was left. The whole forum broke down into a shouting match. It sounds like they are making an effort to avoid a repeat of that this year.

YouDontKnowMe: what sold you on UNC? I feel like I am going to end up choosing between UNC and Wake and it seems like you could have some valuable input.

1) Honestly, a lot of it was life-long loyalty to UNC, whereas I have virtually no emotional attachment to Wake. I knew that if I lost my last chance to come to UNC I'd regret it for the rest of my life. Not to be melodramatic or anything.
2) Yeah, yeah, studying, academics, blah blah blah. But a huge part of enjoying your law school experience is liking where you are. And anyone who tries to say that Winston-Salem is anywhere near as enjoyable as Chapel Hill is... just full of shit, basically.
3) Better scholarship from UNC (in that the final price was lower)
4) Small classes scare me. Fewer people means that people are even more involved in each other's business AND YOU CAN NEVER ESCAPE.
5) Wake is a good school and it's reputation is still growing, but I can't help the feel that UNC is still a more widely esteemed school. If nothing else, everybody knows our name because they know our basketball team.
6) UNC has a big support system for people interested in public interest and I love that
7) I just generally like the idea of public schools. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just a snob.
8) Better colors. This was the deciding factor.

I'll let you know if I think of any more.

TexasWave

Postby TexasWave » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks a lot. Just got an email arranging my Skype interview. Here's wishing myself some good luck (I'll put my UNC baseball cap next to the laptop for good luck during the interview).

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:04 pm

TexasWave wrote:Thanks a lot. Just got an email arranging my Skype interview. Here's wishing myself some good luck (I'll put my UNC baseball cap next to the laptop for good luck during the interview).

Yeah, good luck!!

YouDontKnowMe wrote:8) Better colors. This was the deciding factor.

Stupid auto-smiley. Messing up my style.

adika86

Postby adika86 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:Stupid auto-smiley. Messing up my style.

Actually, I think it worked perfectly. That is an extremely important part of UNC... I mean, we all know why the sky is Carolina Blue, right?

mikeysoundtrack

Postby mikeysoundtrack » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Long-time listener, first-time caller, I know this probably isn't the place, but I was wondering if you guys could give me a guess of my chances at UNC.
3.51 GPA in-state grad of UNC
161 LSAT
33 year-old applicant with years of retail management experience

Bashy

Postby Bashy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 pm

mikeysoundtrack wrote:Long-time listener, first-time caller, I know this probably isn't the place, but I was wondering if you guys could give me a guess of my chances at UNC.
161 LSAT

Median GPA, just under median LSAT, in-state. I'd say barring anything too outrageous, you've got a great shot at getting in.

If, of course, you can survive the agonizing wait.

el William

Postby el William » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 am

mikeysoundtrack wrote:Long-time listener, first-time caller, I know this probably isn't the place, but I was wondering if you guys could give me a guess of my chances at UNC.
161 LSAT

I am in a pretty similar situation

162 LSAT
3.4 GPA (Not at UNC)
NC Resident
27 year old applicant with 8 years of retail management work experience

I am holding out hope....
Keep me posted on your status if you don"t mind, I will be curious since our stats are so similar

skolks

Postby skolks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 am

In chapel hill now, ready to tour the place! Amazing how quickly you can get here from Atlanta when you leave at 5am!

skolks

Postby skolks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:20 pm

skolks wrote:In chapel hill now, ready to tour the place! Amazing how quickly you can get here from Atlanta when you leave at 5am!

My thoughts: The school's most "modern" parts are 90's retro. So facilities are pretty run down, although the library is pretty nice. Everyone seems really nice and I like the culture. I feel a bit concerned about the lottery system of 3L clinics, however, and I'm not sure how I feel about such a large emphasis on public interest law. Every other sentence out of the tour guide's mouth today was about public interest law. Not that I don't want to help people, but... well... I kinda want to make money. In conclusion, I like the culture and the atmosphere, but I'm not sure the actual school reflects what I want to do. But if you want to do public interest law I highly encourage you to visit.

Bashy

Postby Bashy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:56 pm

skolks wrote:
skolks wrote:In chapel hill now, ready to tour the place! Amazing how quickly you can get here from Atlanta when you leave at 5am!

My thoughts: The school's most "modern" parts are 90's retro. So facilities are pretty run down, although the library is pretty nice. Everyone seems really nice and I like the culture. I feel a bit concerned about the lottery system of 3L clinics, however, and I'm not sure how I feel about such a large emphasis on public interest law. Every other sentence out of the tour guide's mouth today was about public interest law. Not that I don't want to help people, but... well... I kinda want to make money. In conclusion, I like the culture and the atmosphere, but I'm not sure the actual school reflects what I want to do. But if you want to do public interest law I highly encourage you to visit.

I know plenty of lawyers at large Raleigh firms who graduated from UNC and aren't doing PI.

/anecdotal evidence

skolks

Postby skolks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Bashy wrote:
skolks wrote:

I know plenty of lawyers at large Raleigh firms who graduated from UNC and aren't doing PI.

/anecdotal evidence

Yeah... Obviously there are lots who do, but they just seem to emphasize it so much, it was just a turnoff to me, personally.

johnpizzo

Postby johnpizzo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Yeah I also noticed this from their communications and website. I don't really understand the push since only a small percentage do PI work (14% at UNC which is higher than avg.). Don't most people who go that route already know about it? I think it's great if that's what you want to do but the truth of the matter is the overwhelming majority don't. I feel as if they are trying to make you feel bad if you don't want to spend gobs of money, three years of intense work and significant stress to enter the world of public service.

BenPH

Postby BenPH » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey Youdontknowme-

Have you considered starting a thread in the law students taking questions forum? You seem to be active enough on these forums and willing to speak frankly about the school. There is a thread for Wake Forest that has been ongoing for 3-4 years and is full of the kind of frank input and advice that really sells people on the school. All that I see about UNC on these forums is how frustrated people get with admissions process. I think a forum about the actual student experience would provide much needed balance and perspective on the school, and would be infinitely helpful for folks like myself.

On that note, I guess if I want to objectively evaluate these schools, I should probably make a profile that isn't my actual name...

But seriously, a current students taking questions thread would immediately raise the profile of UNC in the TLS community.

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Hey all:

Just wanted to know your thoughts on my chances to get into UNC I have a.159 LSAT and 3.66 Gpa. I'm from Tennessee and have been accepted.into Washington & Lee already. I was denied from Wake but am willing to pay sticker at UNC any thoughts would be appreciated.

also is there a tactful way to email UNC admissions and tell them ive.been accepted to w&l and am literally only waiting on them before I make a seat deposit.?

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:24 pm

johnpizzo wrote:Yeah I also noticed this from their communications and website. I don't really understand the push since only a small percentage do PI work (14% at UNC which is higher than avg.). Don't most people who go that route already know about it? I think it's great if that's what you want to do but the truth of the matter is the overwhelming majority don't. I feel as if they are trying to make you feel bad if you don't want to spend gobs of money, three years of intense work and significant stress to enter the world of public service.

I think more emphasis on PI comes out when they're trying to get people to come here than any other time. I would say it's because a lot of people who are inclined toward PI before law school don't know how to get into it or how much help they'll have along the way. Given that most of the lawyers I know work for firms rather than PI, it definitely made me feel more comfortable coming to UNC and thinking, "well, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, but there seem to be a bunch of people here that do." But judging by the number of people who show up to PI events, it seems like most people are headed in the firm direction (gotta be honest, I'm kind of being sucked in that direction myself). If you don't want anything to do with PI, then it's easy enough to just not go to the events. The worst you'll be subjected to against your will is a weekly public interest newsletter/email, and you can probably unsubscribe. There are plenty of big firms (like Kilpatrick Townsend) who take UNC under their wing, hold receptions, and give us free stuff (Starbucks, woo).

BenPH wrote:Hey Youdontknowme-

Have you considered starting a thread in the law students taking questions forum? You seem to be active enough on these forums and willing to speak frankly about the school. There is a thread for Wake Forest that has been ongoing for 3-4 years and is full of the kind of frank input and advice that really sells people on the school. All that I see about UNC on these forums is how frustrated people get with admissions process. I think a forum about the actual student experience would provide much needed balance and perspective on the school, and would be infinitely helpful for folks like myself.

On that note, I guess if I want to objectively evaluate these schools, I should probably make a profile that isn't my actual name...

But seriously, a current students taking questions thread would immediately raise the profile of UNC in the TLS community.

I would be open to this. If you want, I can send a message to some of the old TLSers and see if I can get them to join in so it's not just me.

And yes, I would recommend changing your username, since these things are sometimes monitored. My username is specifically designed for this.

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 pm

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Well, I really need some advice here:

1) I want to visit UNC the 3rd or 4th week of March.
2) My file is currently under review.
3) It's a lot of money to visit (I'm flying in from OOS). I don't have a lot of that.

The problem is the admissions staff said that there's no way to tell when a decision would be made on my application (meaning I could buy these plane tickets and then could get rejected before I get there).

I'm visiting other schools as well, but I'm worried. Has anyone had experience with this? Does UNC unofficially hold off on a decision on your file if they know you're visiting?

Tyson22

Postby Tyson22 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:10 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Well, I really need some advice here:

3) It's a lot of money to visit (I'm flying in from OOS). I don't have a lot of that.

The problem is the admissions staff said that there's no way to tell when a decision would be made on my application (meaning I could buy these plane tickets and then could get rejected before I get there).

I'm visiting other schools as well, but I'm worried. Has anyone had experience with this? Does UNC unofficially hold off on a decision on your file if they know you're visiting?

Do you mind telling us when your application went under review? I have been on application complete since October, which is so very frustrating. In the past, it wasn't too long after your application went under review that you received a decision (same day even), so you may hear back before your March trip. It seems like UNC is waiting for the March 1st deadline before any decisions go out. I was guessing the next round of decisions would be in mid-March, but since you are already under review, maybe it will be sooner?

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Ugh, sorry I'm not under review. I am only at application complete. Status is from early February. Thought I was under review... :oops:

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Additionally, anyone have good recommendations on cheap motels around UNC? I'm not picky.

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Just wondering HOW/IF there is any way to email UNC and ask them the status of my online application. I sent it in Mid January and am worried that the Mid April Deadline or May 1st deadline of W&L will pass before I hear from UNC.

PLEASE people just assure me that i will hear something soon.

thanks

Tyson22

Postby Tyson22 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:24 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:Just wondering HOW/IF there is any way to email UNC and ask them the status of my online application. I sent it in Mid January and am worried that the Mid April Deadline or May 1st deadline of W&L will pass before I hear from UNC.

PLEASE people just assure me that i will hear something soon.

thanks

There is an email address on the application status checker page. I haven't tried emailing them but I'm sure they would be happy to tell you anything they can. My guess is that I'll probably end up paying the seat deposit at another school as I wait to hear from UNC. I hate to waist my money if I eventually get in... but oh well. Let us know how helpful the admissions office is if you email them!

mk0604

Postby mk0604 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Just to give you an idea, I got my acceptance email on 3/23. I sent in my application around mid-Nov so I don't know if that's when everyone else found out too.

In terms of visiting, I wouldn't spend a lot of money just to visit. It may help but it's not going to help you substantially. As long as you showed sufficient commitment to UNC and NC in general in your personal statement, you'll be ok.

In my case, I feel like they probably made their decision a week or two prior to 3/23 so visiting the 3rd or 4th week of March wouldn't have helped anyway.

If you happen to get waitlisted later, you can visit then to show that you're still interested in UNC.

Tyson22 wrote:

Do you mind telling us when your application went under review? I have been on application complete since October, which is so very frustrating. In the past, it wasn't too long after your application went under review that you received a decision (same day even), so you may hear back before your March trip. It seems like UNC is waiting for the March 1st deadline before any decisions go out. I was guessing the next round of decisions would be in mid-March, but since you are already under review, maybe it will be sooner?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Also, I heard back around the first week of Feb. I submitted my application right before the first of the year, so I had a pretty short wait.

I was able to visit, and it helped me with my decision. However, I had all of my decisions (and waitlists) by March so I was finished with the application cycle in time to attend admitted student days and things. I think that you could definitely come and visit, especially if you are from out of state and unfamiliar with the area. Visiting OOS places really put things in perspective for me, even though it was expensive. Maybe go with your gut to decide when is the best time to visit, and if such a visit is likely to help you.

mk0604 wrote:Just to give you an idea, I got my acceptance email on 3/23. I sent in my application around mid-Nov so I don't know if that's when everyone else found out too.

In terms of visiting, I wouldn't spend a lot of money just to visit. It may help but it's not going to help you substantially. As long as you showed sufficient commitment to UNC and NC in general in your personal statement, you'll be ok.

In my case, I feel like they probably made their decision a week or two prior to 3/23 so visiting the 3rd or 4th week of March wouldn't have helped anyway.

If you happen to get waitlisted later, you can visit then to show that you're still interested in UNC.

Tyson22 wrote:

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:52 pm

TIKITEMBO wrote:Additionally, anyone have good recommendations on cheap motels around UNC? I'm not picky.

Sorry, I haven't answered because I don't know :/

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”