UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Re: UNC c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by lawgeekgrl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
bruinsfan4 wrote:I called today. Although they were accomodating, I could definitely sense that they do not appreciate being called. That being said, I spoke with Jennifer Kott, Director of Admissions, and she was very nice and sympathetic to our anxiety. I won't say that I hurt my chances in any way (hopefully), but definitely did nothing to improve my position.
Jenn Kott was nice and sympathetic? I'm impressed. She has a history/reputation from last year of not being so polite. She must have taken the criticisms on board. Bravo.

But I would still direct my efforts at contact toward Dean States. In my experience, when he's put on the spot the man gets stuff done.
Jenn Kott is super nice. I met her at LA forum and she was nice there and through correspondence. Perhaps you some people have caught her on a bad day?

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 am

UNC is continuing to fall in the rankings - down to 38th, just above BYU.

reinbowbrite

New

Post by reinbowbrite » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:UNC is continuing to fall in the rankings - down to 38th, just above BYU.
Wow! Color me surprised. I had to go check myself, but it looks like new rankings just came out today.

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 am

reinbowbrite wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:UNC is continuing to fall in the rankings - down to 38th, just above BYU.
Wow! Color me surprised. I had to go check myself, but it looks like new rankings just came out today.
Yeah, a lot of it is because UNC's budget is continuing to be cut, and US News puts a lot of emphasis on how much money is spent per student. This includes money spent on things like wall art, which is useless as far as a legal education goes. However, we're still pretty high (#25) in the nationwide rating by lawyers and judges, which seems to me like it should be the most important. And as far as I'm concerned, US News can go.. *ahem*.. screw itself.

I also posted an email from Dean Boger on the UNC Student(s) Taking Questions board addressing our drop in US News ranking.

maddie89

New

Post by maddie89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:02 pm

I applied New Year's Eve and am still at "application complete" with a status date of 1/3/12. Sheesh!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 pm

maddie89 wrote:I applied New Year's Eve and am still at "application complete" with a status date of 1/3/12. Sheesh!
I applied on 11/3 and still have an application complete day of... 11/3

maddie89

New

Post by maddie89 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:37 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
maddie89 wrote:I applied New Year's Eve and am still at "application complete" with a status date of 1/3/12. Sheesh!
I applied on 11/3 and still have an application complete day of... 11/3
Wow. This is getting pretty ridiculous. I mean I am still under review at a few others but at least they give updates...

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 pm

I am complete at 10/17. Coming up on 5 months..

LawSchool2015

New

Post by LawSchool2015 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:59 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
reinbowbrite wrote:
Yeah, a lot of it is because UNC's budget is continuing to be cut, and US News puts a lot of emphasis on how much money is spent per student. This includes money spent on things like wall art, which is useless as far as a legal education goes. However, we're still pretty high (#25) in the nationwide rating by lawyers and judges, which seems to me like it should be the most important. And as far as I'm concerned, US News can go.. *ahem*.. screw itself.

I also posted an email from Dean Boger on the UNC Student(s) Taking Questions board addressing our drop in US News ranking.
I definitely disagree with some of the methods used by US News, and I do plan to wait to hear from UNC (as frustrating as it may be), but I can't help but think that some individuals with great credentials (credentials that could help UNC's rankings) are choosing to go elsewhere because of the admissions process. It would be a shame for something like that to have a negative impact on the school's reputation.

And, thanks for posting Dean Boger's response.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 pm

LawSchool2015 wrote: I definitely disagree with some of the methods used by US News, and I do plan to wait to hear from UNC (as frustrating as it may be), but I can't help but think that some individuals with great credentials (credentials that could help UNC's rankings) are choosing to go elsewhere because of the admissions process. It would be a shame for something like that to have a negative impact on the school's reputation.

And, thanks for posting Dean Boger's response.
I feel the same way.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Now I am all for being patient, but I actually woke up thinking about the amount of cash that I could lose between visiting other schools and seat deposits. I really hope I hear back soon.

On the ranking: I realized how little it actually matters today. I didn't even realize the rankings were out until I read a thread here. Then I checked and realized that the changes in the rankings are irrelevant when you get past the "which school will get me a sweet V10 job."

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Now I am all for being patient, but I actually woke up thinking about the amount of cash that I could lose between visiting other schools and seat deposits. I really hope I hear back soon.
I'd really like to have a decision before the April 1st deposit is due at Wake. I want to go to Carolina, but they're making it so damn hard.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Bashy wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:Now I am all for being patient, but I actually woke up thinking about the amount of cash that I could lose between visiting other schools and seat deposits. I really hope I hear back soon.
I'd really like to have a decision before the April 1st deposit is due at Wake. I want to go to Carolina, but they're making it so damn hard.
I'd be okay with losing the first deposit at the other school I'm considering, but it would make it pretty hard to put in the deposit at UNC. Why UNC decided to have an Admitted Student Day (presumably the one I would go to if I got in) the same day as their deposit deadline is beyond me. Does anyone know if you can bring a check to ASD incase you decide to go there? I am reluctant to deposit to a school I haven't visited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tyson22

New

Post by Tyson22 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Is anyone's application status actually under review or is everyone still at application complete? I know in the past UNC has pretty much changed statuses from application complete to decision rendered (maybe "under review" for a few hours or a day), but I was wondering if anyone is actually under review yet since someone said they might be releasing decisions this week.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Tyson22 wrote:Is anyone's application status actually under review or is everyone still at application complete? I know in the past UNC has pretty much changed statuses from application complete to decision rendered (maybe "under review" for a few hours or a day), but I was wondering if anyone is actually under review yet since someone said they might be releasing decisions this week.
I've been at "Complete" since 1/11. I know there are some people on here who have mentioned being "Under Review." I get the impression that UNC has three massive waves. The first for scholarship/high score URM applicants. The second for the majority of those left. The third for those late applicants/wait listers after the deposit deadline.

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:38 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
Tyson22 wrote:Is anyone's application status actually under review or is everyone still at application complete? I know in the past UNC has pretty much changed statuses from application complete to decision rendered (maybe "under review" for a few hours or a day), but I was wondering if anyone is actually under review yet since someone said they might be releasing decisions this week.
I've been at "Complete" since 1/11. I know there are some people on here who have mentioned being "Under Review." I get the impression that UNC has three massive waves. The first for scholarship/high score URM applicants. The second for the majority of those left. The third for those late applicants/wait listers after the deposit deadline.
At 'Complete' since 12/9, with no change to 'Under Review' to my knowledge.

Dr.JD

New

Post by Dr.JD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 am

May withdraw. UNC's terrible admissions process combined with the continued rankings plummet is making the school undesirable in comparison to other schools in the 20-50 range.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:26 am

Dr.JD wrote:May withdraw. UNC's terrible admissions process combined with the continued rankings plummet is making the school undesirable in comparison to other schools in the 20-50 range.
+1

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:29 am

I've seen this be posted here various times and figured I'd come out and ask...what exactly is SOOOO terrible about UNC's admissions process? I've seen posts in other schools forums of complete dates as of October and no updates, I assumed it's just a waiting game at EVERY school.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 am

cass1230 wrote:I've seen this be posted here various times and figured I'd come out and ask...what exactly is SOOOO terrible about UNC's admissions process? I've seen posts in other schools forums of complete dates as of October and no updates, I assumed it's just a waiting game at EVERY school.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
Lack of communication. Explicit requests NOT to contact admissions office. And so on.

Dr.JD

New

Post by Dr.JD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 am

I toured the school recently. I wasn't able to meet the dean but I did meet a number of the admissions staff. Most if not all seemed uninterested in speaking to me. Some even exuded arrogance. None were welcoming and absolutely none of the admissions staff were friendly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

el William

New

Post by el William » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:05 am

Dr.JD wrote:I toured the school recently. I wasn't able to meet the dean but I did meet a number of the admissions staff. Most if not all seemed uninterested in speaking to me. Some even exuded arrogance. None were welcoming and absolutely none of the admissions staff were friendly.

I gotta say my experience when I visited was quite different. I took a tour and sat in on a class about a month ago. Aftr the class was over, students in the class answered lots of questions that me and the other visiting student wanted to ask. The tour guides were really friendly, and when I stopped by admissions to ask a question about updating my app, the folks in there were nice too.

I think that the admissions process is "terrible" at a lot of other schools too. The waiting game isnt fun for anyone, I know. My frustration level is pretty high too, but I am not going to let it turn me off to a great law school. When will you ever have to deal with the admissions staff while you are a student? The rankings "plummet" is not a big deal, it's only a few spots and the ranking really don't mean that much.

Dr.JD

New

Post by Dr.JD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 am

el William wrote:
Dr.JD wrote:I toured the school recently. I wasn't able to meet the dean but I did meet a number of the admissions staff. Most if not all seemed uninterested in speaking to me. Some even exuded arrogance. None were welcoming and absolutely none of the admissions staff were friendly.

I gotta say my experience when I visited was quite different. I took a tour and sat in on a class about a month ago. Aftr the class was over, students in the class answered lots of questions that me and the other visiting student wanted to ask. The tour guides were really friendly, and when I stopped by admissions to ask a question about updating my app, the folks in there were nice too.

I think that the admissions process is "terrible" at a lot of other schools too. The waiting game isnt fun for anyone, I know. My frustration level is pretty high too, but I am not going to let it turn me off to a great law school. When will you ever have to deal with the admissions staff while you are a student? The rankings "plummet" is not a big deal, it's only a few spots and the ranking really don't mean that much.
Most of the students seemed nice enough (some were disinterested). As for the admissions staff, NONE were friendly. You will most likely not have to deal with them once you gain admission, however, if the admissions staff is unfriendly I can imagine that attitude bleeding over into other areas of the school. UNC was ranked 28 just 2 or 3 years ago. Now they are 38. YES the rankings do matter. A gain or loss of a few spots is no big deal but a downward trend over several years IS a big deal. By your logic, 28-30-38 doesnt matter. That could be extended by your logic to also include 38-43-50 doesnt matter. I argue that YES it does matter and that very well could be the direction the school is headed.

The rankings drop this year may not matter for students graduating this year but it will certaintly impact students graduating over the next several years if the downward trend continues. Combine this with serious funding cuts to the school and a rising tuition and UNC is no longer the gem it previously was.

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:29 am

cass1230 wrote:I've seen this be posted here various times and figured I'd come out and ask...what exactly is SOOOO terrible about UNC's admissions process? I've seen posts in other schools forums of complete dates as of October and no updates, I assumed it's just a waiting game at EVERY school.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
Others have beaten me to it, so I'll just say that I'll be very disappointed if I end up at another school because UNC drags its feet on my application.

In the end, though, UNC's weak admissions office doesn't really matter. They'll have no problem filling their incoming class with bright young 0L's because the UNC brand is so excellent here in North Carolina.

Dr.JD

New

Post by Dr.JD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 am

Bashy wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong?
Others have beaten me to it, so I'll just say that I'll be very disappointed if I end up at another school because UNC drags its feet on my application.

In the end, though, UNC's weak admissions office doesn't really matter. They'll have no problem filling their incoming class with bright young 0L's because the UNC brand is so excellent here in North Carolina.
You may be right about the weak admission staff but because of them, I may not be attending. In the end it may not matter but they are unnecessarily shrinking the pool of great applicants from which they can choose. If they had 1000, they now may have 999-anyone else who feels as I do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”