Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dingbat

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
holden147 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Also, many landlords often require you to earn 40 times the rent, or to have a (local) guarantor who earns 80 times the rent. If you cannot meet this requirement, you can still find a place, but it will be harder. Good Luck.

Hmm, I don't have anyone like that (low-income family) so thanks for letting me know because I'd never heard of this. I guess we'll just have to see how things work out. NYC is a lot of work lol.

:lol: Don't freak. I've lived here for 21 years and have never heard of a landlord asking 80 times rent. A year? yeah. 2 years? Heard that, too. But over 6 years' worth? Um. No. Come, visit, get a feel for the place - it's a great town and there are lots of options for living.

No, no, landlords often ask that your annual income is 40 times the rent (I've also been asked 50 times), but for a guarantor (when you don't earn enough) it's usually double (i.e. your guarantor needs to earn 80 times the monthly rent).
However, not all landlords ask, and when you sublet it rarely comes up.
It's just that you need to be aware that if you don't have the income, you have less options (I've been turned away once even when I offered to pay more than asking rate).
You'll still find a place to live, but it just requires a bit more work.

Note: even if you have no money, new york is a wonderful place to live and even without an income you should be able to find a place. Personally, I think everyone should live in NY at some point in their lives, at least for a few years. Even if you're broke all the time, the experience is worth it.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:15 pm

dingbat wrote:No, no, landlords often ask that your annual income is 40 times the rent (I've also been asked 50 times), but for a guarantor (when you don't earn enough) it's usually double (i.e. your guarantor needs to earn 80 times the monthly rent).
It's just that you need to be aware that if you don't have the income, you have less options (I've been turned away once even when I offered to pay more than asking rate).

Note: even if you have no money, new york is a wonderful place to live and even without an income you should be able to find a place. Personally, I think everyone should live in NY at some point in their lives, at least for a few years. Even if you're broke all the time, the experience is worth it.

LOL. I must just be MUCH luckier than dingbat when it comes to housing. (Even the co-op where I now live doesn't ask that of prospective buyers.) Dingbat, were you looking at/living in places on the UWS? Crazy. Anyway yeah, students find housing all the time. It's not a big deal. If you don't have income or savings, yes - you may well need a guarantor, but it's very common. No biggie. Worst case scenario, you live in the dorms for a semester while you find the perfect spot (though as Ding has said, there are much better deals to be had and I have yet to know of anyone who was unable to find a place to live.)

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:No, no, landlords often ask that your annual income is 40 times the rent (I've also been asked 50 times), but for a guarantor (when you don't earn enough) it's usually double (i.e. your guarantor needs to earn 80 times the monthly rent).

LOL. I must just be MUCH luckier than dingbat when it comes to housing. (Even the co-op where I now live doesn't ask that of prospective buyers.) Dingbat, were you looking at/living in places on the UWS? Crazy. Anyway yeah, students find housing all the time. It's not a big deal. If you don't have income or savings, yes - you may well need a guarantor, but it's very common. No biggie. Worst case scenario, you live in the dorms for a semester while you find the perfect spot (though as Ding has said, there are much better deals to be had and I have yet to know of anyone who was unable to find a place to live.)

I remember the first time I looked for a place to live, about half of the places I found would ask that my income was sufficient (40x), which it wasn't. That still gave me plenty of options. My sister and my friends were asked the same question. It depends on the landlord, I guess.
However, when I looked for a room, instead of an apartment, then I don't recall ever being asked.

At the time, I had no money, and my search area was anywhere in Manhattan.
The last time I looked for an apartment in NY, is not a fair example, because I was looking for something very specific (UWS 1 bedroom in a brownstone between b/way & CPW - what a difference a few years can make)

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Just noticed that I was waitlisted for my application to the evening division last thursday.

I grew up just three blocks from Fordham. I attended high school across the street at the Beacon School. My senior year of high school I had high dreams and hopes that some day I might be able to attend law school at Fordham. In college I interned at a NYC firm that had a few Fordham alum, and they further confirmed my interest in a law school education at Fordham. Unfortunately, I am not the strongest test taker, and I applied with a 157/3.47 (I took the lsat twice, both times I had high nerves. I usually pt'd around 161-162). I applied to Fordham expecting a rejection, but now with a waitlist I am ready to seriously come out swinging and show the adcomm how much I really do want to go there.

I haven't been following this thread, but I wanted to post and ask about the general sense of Fordham's 2012 application cycle. Are they down? Are they dipping lower than usual? are they waitlisting a lot of folks? I will be crafting a LOCI and scheduling a visit in the coming weeks. I plan to network as best as I can. Here's to positive thoughts and actions!

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:21 pm

z0rk wrote:Are they down? Are they dipping lower than usual? are they waitlisting a lot of folks?

Lots of waitlists. It doesn't look like they're dipping lower than usual thus far on LSN, but that doesn't mean they won't start doing so in a few months with waitlist acceptances. I think a lot of people are sort of holding their breath waiting to see if there might be some magic to come this cycle. Thus far a lot of schools have simply held out on decisions. It's getting late though. With ASW's and all coming up, I think that if we're going to see surprises, they will start soon. Good luck!

avd90

Postby avd90 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Went complete again today after being complete 1/19. Not sure what that means exactly, but my numbers are high for Fordham and my mom is an alum so hopefully good news!

30-Something

Postby 30-Something » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:11 pm

z0rk wrote:Just noticed that I was waitlisted for my application to the evening division last thursday.

I haven't been following this thread, but I wanted to post and ask about the general sense of Fordham's 2012 application cycle. Are they down? Are they dipping lower than usual? are they waitlisting a lot of folks? I will be crafting a LOCI and scheduling a visit in the coming weeks. I plan to network as best as I can. Here's to positive thoughts and actions!

Good luck on the WL... just wondering, when did you submit your app?

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:12 pm

avd90 wrote:Went complete again today after being complete 1/19. Not sure what that means exactly, but my numbers are high for Fordham and my mom is an alum so hopefully good news!

Kathryn Espiritu's twitter says decisions are going out this afternoon, so maybe you'll get good news pretty soon.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:15 pm

holden147 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
holden147 wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:anyone know if Fordham helps pay students to attend ASD?

+1. Especially need-based students such as myself.

yup, you get a check for $250 if you're coming from far away. my plane ticket from CA was $270 and you have to check in with them at ASD and you'll get a check in the mail in 3-5 weeks

I'm coming from the exotic land of Ohio, so not California far, but still nearly 500 miles. I'm hoping that's far enough.

Do you have to ask for the stipend or is it in your admissions brochure?

Nah you have to ask for the stipend....i'll PM you the email address that I used last time to ask.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:26 pm

I live in a .....not so nice apartment (aka cheap) on 106th & Columbus and my landlord asked for 40 x the rent and since me + my 2 roommates didn't make that, we had to get a guarantor and they asked for 80 x the rent. It was pretty ridic. But if you have roommates, some buildings will let you combine guarantors (i.e., if my roommates' parents' income + my parents' income = 80 x the rent, it's cool)

itsmelissaaa

Postby itsmelissaaa » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Just checked the status checker: Waitlisted.

Better than a ding, I'll take it!

Jimbola

Postby Jimbola » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:37 pm

anybody know how favorable fordham looks on legacies?

inthebeginning

Postby inthebeginning » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Jimbola wrote:anybody know how favorable fordham looks on legacies?

+1

sf88

Postby sf88 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Is it way too late to apply to Fordham? Stats are 3.65/168, softs aren't exceptional but pretty good. From NYC metro area. I'm complete and waiting on decisions at UCLA and Cornell. Didn't apply anywhere else yet (stupid, I know, but I thought I completely bombed the December test due to a proctor calling time way too early on RC.)

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 pm

inthebeginning wrote:
Jimbola wrote:anybody know how favorable fordham looks on legacies?

+1

No edges unless your family member is a big contributor.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:12 pm

sf88 wrote:Is it way too late to apply to Fordham? Stats are 3.65/168, softs aren't exceptional but pretty good. From NYC metro area. I'm complete and waiting on decisions at UCLA and Cornell. Didn't apply anywhere else yet (stupid, I know, but I thought I completely bombed the December test due to a proctor calling time way too early on RC.)

Do it, definitely not too late. You may end up waiting til around May for a response, but I think you have a great shot at acceptance and likely even a small scholarship.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
z0rk wrote:Are they down? Are they dipping lower than usual? are they waitlisting a lot of folks?

Lots of waitlists. It doesn't look like they're dipping lower than usual thus far on LSN, but that doesn't mean they won't start doing so in a few months with waitlist acceptances. I think a lot of people are sort of holding their breath waiting to see if there might be some magic to come this cycle. Thus far a lot of schools have simply held out on decisions. It's getting late though. With ASW's and all coming up, I think that if we're going to see surprises, they will start soon. Good luck!

I feel like Fordham has a policy heavily oriented to having a major waitlist, simply because they pull so many people from it. So if you're waitlisted, there's still SO much hope. Just make sure you continue to let them know you're interested.

holden147

Postby holden147 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Gotti wrote:I live in a .....not so nice apartment (aka cheap) on 106th & Columbus and my landlord asked for 40 x the rent and since me + my 2 roommates didn't make that, we had to get a guarantor and they asked for 80 x the rent. It was pretty ridic. But if you have roommates, some buildings will let you combine guarantors (i.e., if my roommates' parents' income + my parents' income = 80 x the rent, it's cool)

Good info, ty. There's no way I can get 40x rent (parents included) unless I choose to live in an upscale refrigerator box. And even then, it couldn't be like a Whirlpool or something. :P

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Gotti wrote:I live in a .....not so nice apartment (aka cheap) on 106th & Columbus and my landlord asked for 40 x the rent and since me + my 2 roommates didn't make that, we had to get a guarantor and they asked for 80 x the rent. It was pretty ridic. But if you have roommates, some buildings will let you combine guarantors (i.e., if my roommates' parents' income + my parents' income = 80 x the rent, it's cool)

I hear you. Man oh man, how things have changed.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:02 pm

holden147 wrote:

Good info, ty. There's no way I can get 40x rent (parents included) unless I choose to live in an upscale refrigerator box. And even then, it couldn't be like a Whirlpool or something. :P

FYI, not all apartments require the 40x or 80x guarantor thing. (Though admittedly a lot do.)

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:06 am

holden147 wrote:

Honestly, don't let the requirement bother you - I found places to stay without a guarantor and without any real income and you will be able to as well - especially in the current rental market. Besides, being a student helps.
It's just that if you can't meet the requirement, many places will automatically reject you. Individual owners tend to be easier than corporate landlords.
look for someone renting out a room - they usually don't care.
Sub-letting is another way to avoid the requirements
(note: your parents/guarantor count for half - i.e. they need to make 80x time rent)

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 am

Gemini wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:

I feel like Fordham has a policy heavily oriented to having a major waitlist, simply because they pull so many people from it. So if you're waitlisted, there's still SO much hope. Just make sure you continue to let them know you're interested.

Thanks, this is also my hope!

30-Something wrote:
z0rk wrote:Just noticed that I was waitlisted for my application to the evening division last thursday.

Good luck on the WL... just wondering, when did you submit your app?

Mid December

30-Something

Postby 30-Something » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:13 am

Fordham's site is down this morning. And let's be honest, all I really care about is my inability to access the status checker... incessantly.

BrunetteElle

Postby BrunetteElle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:17 am

kathryn espiritu's twitter says today is a big decision day..good luck everyone! currently still on the WL, guess it is probably a bit early to hear back on that..

gthopeful

Postby gthopeful » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:14 pm

BrunetteElle wrote:kathryn espiritu's twitter says today is a big decision day..good luck everyone! currently still on the WL, guess it is probably a bit early to hear back on that..

she later twitpicd the pile of admits..it looks like A LOT of people are going to hear back today!!!1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”