Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Fujin11
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:18 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Fujin11 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:54 am

Isn't it more like 31.5 or 31.6 percent? (assuming you're referring to the 68.whatever% employment figure)

mijenks
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby mijenks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:09 am

Fujin11 wrote:Isn't it more like 31.5 or 31.6 percent? (assuming you're referring to the 68.whatever% employment figure)

I'm coming up with a 34.33%, repeating of course, chance of success.

DTDT
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby DTDT » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:12 am

I thought the ASD was very constructive and informative. The breakout sections with future professors was helpful as I was able to see the other lawyering tracks that Fordham has available (IP was one) even if my mind is made up. Everyone knows law school is competitive, however this school in particular goes out of their way to create a relatively good-natured environment (staff, students and library!). I was also very impressed with the quality and quantity of the Law Journal opportunities: Let the competition begin! j/k can we be friends :)

The staff and alumni panel (how funny was the guy on the left!) also addressed the debt-load and job market issues. I find this conversation on the boards very interesting as I work in finance and believe me, everyone is scared! Out of the 4 panelists, one was working at a financial services firm and 2 had gotten jobs at law firms in 2011 (not sure if they were "big-law", mid-law or what). There's no easy way around this as a law degree is very expensive and one needs to make that decision on a personal basis, but Fordham does have a very strong alumni network and does a quality job of creating practitioners that law firms are seeking, even in this bad economy. There is an indication of some improvement in the legal market, from 2009, based on how many firms interview and offer positions through the OCI program. The alumni network, and quality of education, certainly differentiates Fordham from the schools that offered me full-rides.

Finally the comradarie I alluded to earlier isn't just an illusion, the school supports many, many groups for students to network and blow of steam.

It was a pleasure to have met some of my future classmates, professors and staff of Fordham Law. I look forward to spending a few years with y'all (that was for JC).

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:14 am

MrAnon wrote:Very laid back or latently passive aggressive? Its a highly ranked law school in New York City that people target because they think its their best shot at a $160k job. People are all polite and cordial but I guarantee if there was a way to throw you under the bus that surefire would not come back to them they would use it. Also the haves and the have nots are pretty much set in their own camps after 1L anyway

I actually feel sad that this was your experience at Fordham, Mr A. I'm sure there are others who had the same experience, but I rarely encounter them. In the two years I've been there, I've been stunned by what a supportive, close-knit group we are. I think a prime example of this was the Dewey debacle: of the 5 (?) Fordham students affected by that, 3 were good friends of mine. The way the community stepped up to support them, help them, encourage them was incredible (and they all found other gigs - yay!) That would have been the perfect opportunity for some under-the-bus tossing, but it just didn't happen. As I said, I'm sure there are some nasty, nasty folks among us and it sounds like you ran into more than your share of them, but it's been my experience that they are FAR from the norm. As to "haves" and "have nots" I'm in the dark. Some day Anon I would love to grab a coffee, hear more about why your experience was so different from mine. I think you just graduated, right? If so, I hope Bar prep is going well and that your summer is treating you well.

EDIT: I almost forgot! I met JC!!!! And he's awesome!!!! :)

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am

ajax wrote:I'm commenting on this board because I refuse to attend Fordham at sticker. There is no way I can convince myself to take out more debt than I'd likely be able to repay. I am hoping that other people wake up and smell the coffee and realize that it would be a mistake to attend Fordham at sticker, so Fordham finally offers more aid.

I want the same thing as all of you do. I'm just not willing to subject myself to 200k plus of debt with a 20 percent chance of big law to have it.


ajax, this is an on-topic thread for people who are interested in attending Fordham. You don't want to do so, cool - and you've made your point. If you wish to continue trashing the school and/or its financial aid (or lack thereof), please do so in the lounge: this is not the appropriate place for it. (Transparency: I attend Fordham - but this is a policy which applies to ALL of the on-topic school waiting/cycle threads. No trolling.)

mijenks
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby mijenks » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 am

This was me yesterday:

Image

Also, when the Dean of Enrollment was talking about the two people he talked to on the phone the other day, did anyone else swear he was talking about ajax?

ajax
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby ajax » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 am

How many shills were at ASD?

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am

Ngb4a wrote:I had a great time at ASD today, very impressed with the school and faculty I talked to. My mind would be made up if it hadn't been already.

Thoughts from anyone else?



I had a blast. Was nice meeting a few of yall from here.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am

mijenks wrote:This was me yesterday:

Image

Also, when the Dean of Enrollment was talking about the two people he talked to on the phone the other day, did anyone else swear he was talking about ajax?


That was EXACTLY what I thought Jenks....

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:22 am

ajax wrote:How many shills were at ASD?

If by "shills" you mean current students, I counted at least 4 of us who took the time to stop by the Bar-B-Q to talk to prospective students, answer questions, etc. There are usually more, but this is a late ASW and not many of us are around.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:33 am

nygrrrl wrote:EDIT: I almost forgot! I met JC!!!! And he's awesome!!!! :)


Thanks so much for coming out and saying hi.... It was an absolute pleasure to meet you.

JC

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 am

JCFindley wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:EDIT: I almost forgot! I met JC!!!! And he's awesome!!!! :)


Thanks so much for coming out and saying hi.... It was an absolute pleasure to meet you.

JC

The feeling is mutual. So glad I was able to make it - and that I could pick you out! Wish I'd met the others as well, but hey - see you all in 8 weeks!

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:36 am

nygrrrl wrote:
ajax wrote:How many shills were at ASD?

If by "shills" you mean current students, I counted at least 4 of us who took the time to stop by the Bar-B-Q to talk to prospective students, answer questions, etc. There are usually more, but this is a late ASW and not many of us are around.


Actually, there were a LOT throughout the day. Quite a few Alum and of course the professors made themselves very accessible at the BBQ. Everyone I met associated with the school was wonderful.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:38 am

nygrrrl wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:EDIT: I almost forgot! I met JC!!!! And he's awesome!!!! :)


Thanks so much for coming out and saying hi.... It was an absolute pleasure to meet you.

JC

The feeling is mutual. So glad I was able to make it - and that I could pick you out! Wish I'd met the others as well, but hey - see you all in 8 weeks!


Yeah, as one somewhat "less seasoned" nontraditional said to me,

"So, I gather you are straight out of undergrad."

I told him I was only 25 but meth is one hell of a drug.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:49 am

JCFindley wrote:Yeah, as one somewhat "less seasoned" nontraditional said to me,

"So, I gather you are straight out of undergrad."

I told him I was only 25 but meth is one hell of a drug.

Still.
Laughing.
HAHAHA.
(Glad to hear there were other students/alums throughout the day. I know not everyone at ASW has made a decision yet and it's great to have people around who can give a real feel for the school, etc.)

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:14 am

DTDT wrote:I Let the competition begin! j/k can we be friends :)

The staff and alumni panel (how funny was the guy on the left!) also addressed the debt-load and job market issues. I find this conversation on the boards very interesting as I work in finance and believe me, everyone is scared! Out of the 4 panelists, one was working at a financial services firm and 2 had gotten jobs at law firms in 2011 (not sure if they were "big-law", mid-law or what). There's no easy way around this as a law degree is very expensive and one needs to make that decision on a personal basis, but Fordham does have a very strong alumni network and does a quality job of creating practitioners that law firms are seeking, even in this bad economy. There is an indication of some improvement in the legal market, from 2009, based on how many firms interview and offer positions through the OCI program. The alumni network, and quality of education, certainly differentiates Fordham from the schools that offered me full-rides.

Finally the comradarie I alluded to earlier isn't just an illusion, the school supports many, many groups for students to network and blow of steam.

It was a pleasure to have met some of my future classmates, professors and staff of Fordham Law. I look forward to spending a few years with y'all (that was for JC).


Total gunner, you could tell because he was in a suit and tie for ASD...... heh

I may have the whole school saying yall ya know.

The dude on the left was a hoot.... (There is another southern gem of a word for ya.)

And, might I add, they fed us well and gave us ICE CREAM!

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:40 am

DTDT wrote:I thought the ASD was very constructive and informative. The breakout sections with future professors was helpful as I was able to see the other lawyering tracks that Fordham has available (IP was one) even if my mind is made up. Everyone knows law school is competitive, however this school in particular goes out of their way to create a relatively good-natured environment (staff, students and library!). I was also very impressed with the quality and quantity of the Law Journal opportunities: Let the competition begin! j/k can we be friends :)

The staff and alumni panel (how funny was the guy on the left!) also addressed the debt-load and job market issues. I find this conversation on the boards very interesting as I work in finance and believe me, everyone is scared! Out of the 4 panelists, one was working at a financial services firm and 2 had gotten jobs at law firms in 2011 (not sure if they were "big-law", mid-law or what). There's no easy way around this as a law degree is very expensive and one needs to make that decision on a personal basis, but Fordham does have a very strong alumni network and does a quality job of creating practitioners that law firms are seeking, even in this bad economy. There is an indication of some improvement in the legal market, from 2009, based on how many firms interview and offer positions through the OCI program. The alumni network, and quality of education, certainly differentiates Fordham from the schools that offered me full-rides.

Finally the comradarie I alluded to earlier isn't just an illusion, the school supports many, many groups for students to network and blow of steam.

It was a pleasure to have met some of my future classmates, professors and staff of Fordham Law. I look forward to spending a few years with y'all (that was for JC).


Pro-tip: they aren't going to put any of the 40% on the jobs panel, or make them part of ASD.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:44 am

nygrrrl wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Very laid back or latently passive aggressive? Its a highly ranked law school in New York City that people target because they think its their best shot at a $160k job. People are all polite and cordial but I guarantee if there was a way to throw you under the bus that surefire would not come back to them they would use it. Also the haves and the have nots are pretty much set in their own camps after 1L anyway

I actually feel sad that this was your experience at Fordham, Mr A. I'm sure there are others who had the same experience, but I rarely encounter them. In the two years I've been there, I've been stunned by what a supportive, close-knit group we are. I think a prime example of this was the Dewey debacle: of the 5 (?) Fordham students affected by that, 3 were good friends of mine. The way the community stepped up to support them, help them, encourage them was incredible (and they all found other gigs - yay!) That would have been the perfect opportunity for some under-the-bus tossing, but it just didn't happen. As I said, I'm sure there are some nasty, nasty folks among us and it sounds like you ran into more than your share of them, but it's been my experience that they are FAR from the norm. As to "haves" and "have nots" I'm in the dark. Some day Anon I would love to grab a coffee, hear more about why your experience was so different from mine. I think you just graduated, right? If so, I hope Bar prep is going well and that your summer is treating you well.

EDIT: I almost forgot! I met JC!!!! And he's awesome!!!! :)


I am delighted to hear how the community closed ranks around the Dewey Five. But what about the Fordham 40%? Did anyone throw them a bone? Imagine how they must have felt watching these five students, all of whom are probably on law review with top x% grades, receive the love and adoration of the entire community? Meanwhile they had been struggling along for 2-3 years already, their hopes and dreams dashed after first semester 1L, and they seem practically invisible.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:46 am

law2015 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Ngb4a wrote:I had a great time at ASD today, very impressed with the school and faculty I talked to. My mind would be made up if it hadn't been already.

Thoughts from anyone else?


Did they talk about what the 40% are doing or was that unpleasant information omitted?


No they didn't want to engage 0L into trolling and disputing the facts lol.


Well did you bother to ask? I mean you are about to drop 6 figures on the school. I'd want to know...

DTDT
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby DTDT » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 am

The alumni panel certainly addressed "friends" and fellow students that didn't get law jobs and are doing other things such as getting an LLM or using their degree to work at non-law related fields.

What are these guys saying 40% of people leaving Fordham Law are living at the occupy wall street campsite?

Law is very competitive, it's not for everyone. Particularly the under-capitalized. Make your decision and be comfortable with it, convincing others that you were right is a waste of time (pro-tip).

NYgrrl, were you on the panel?

DTDT
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby DTDT » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:04 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Yeah, as one somewhat "less seasoned" nontraditional said to me,

"So, I gather you are straight out of undergrad."

I told him I was only 25 but meth is one hell of a drug.

Still.
Laughing.
HAHAHA.
(Glad to hear there were other students/alums throughout the day. I know not everyone at ASW has made a decision yet and it's great to have people around who can give a real feel for the school, etc.)


True story!

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:15 pm

MrAnon wrote:Pro-tip: they aren't going to put any of the 40% on the jobs panel, or make them part of ASD.


Actually, 3/4 people on the panel could well have been 40 percenters but chose not to be. They did NOT get their jobs at OCI but hit the pavement looking for them. They HAD their struggles and persevered. They used the Fordham network to find jobs. One thing I took away from the panel was doing something as simple as being active in one or more of the myriad student groups or even the softball team lead directly to their jobs. So, my question is how much networking does the percentage that cannot find a job do? At least one of the four was towards the bottom of the class after 1L yet was able to find a job. How may people that don't have a job after 1L just curl up into a fetal position and give up? How many of them have the poor me syndrome and don't try since it is not handed to them?

The reality is that it is a TOUGH market out there but networking and contacts CAN make a difference. I have never got a single job, and I mean ever, by simply applying and leaving it at that.

JC

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5865
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:20 pm

MrAnon wrote:
DTDT wrote:I thought the ASD was very constructive and informative. The breakout sections with future professors was helpful as I was able to see the other lawyering tracks that Fordham has available (IP was one) even if my mind is made up. Everyone knows law school is competitive, however this school in particular goes out of their way to create a relatively good-natured environment (staff, students and library!). I was also very impressed with the quality and quantity of the Law Journal opportunities: Let the competition begin! j/k can we be friends :)

The staff and alumni panel (how funny was the guy on the left!) also addressed the debt-load and job market issues. I find this conversation on the boards very interesting as I work in finance and believe me, everyone is scared! Out of the 4 panelists, one was working at a financial services firm and 2 had gotten jobs at law firms in 2011 (not sure if they were "big-law", mid-law or what). There's no easy way around this as a law degree is very expensive and one needs to make that decision on a personal basis, but Fordham does have a very strong alumni network and does a quality job of creating practitioners that law firms are seeking, even in this bad economy. There is an indication of some improvement in the legal market, from 2009, based on how many firms interview and offer positions through the OCI program. The alumni network, and quality of education, certainly differentiates Fordham from the schools that offered me full-rides.

Finally the comradarie I alluded to earlier isn't just an illusion, the school supports many, many groups for students to network and blow of steam.

It was a pleasure to have met some of my future classmates, professors and staff of Fordham Law. I look forward to spending a few years with y'all (that was for JC).


Pro-tip: they aren't going to put any of the 40% on the jobs panel, or make them part of ASD.


that why you weren't there?

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:43 pm

JCFindley wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Pro-tip: they aren't going to put any of the 40% on the jobs panel, or make them part of ASD.


Actually, 3/4 people on the panel could well have been 40 percenters but chose not to be. They did NOT get their jobs at OCI but hit the pavement looking for them. They HAD their struggles and persevered. They used the Fordham network to find jobs. One thing I took away from the panel was doing something as simple as being active in one or more of the myriad student groups or even the softball team lead directly to their jobs. So, my question is how much networking does the percentage that cannot find a job do? At least one of the four was towards the bottom of the class after 1L yet was able to find a job. How may people that don't have a job after 1L just curl up into a fetal position and give up? How many of them have the poor me syndrome and don't try since it is not handed to them?

The reality is that it is a TOUGH market out there but networking and contacts CAN make a difference. I have never got a single job, and I mean ever, by simply applying and leaving it at that.

JC


Chose not to be? You think the 40% made a choice? These guys actually told you they did not get their jobs at OCI or you are making an assumption off the type of job they have, just like you assume the 40 percenters dont join clubs, are not active around campus and are not looking for work? There is a larger element of randomness to it than you think. I knew successful professional night students who had already made it in the corporate world and could not for the life of them find a legal job. How does that fit into your assumptions about peoples abilities and want for work?

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:45 pm

DTDT wrote:The alumni panel certainly addressed "friends" and fellow students that didn't get law jobs and are doing other things such as getting an LLM or using their degree to work at non-law related fields.

What are these guys saying 40% of people leaving Fordham Law are living at the occupy wall street campsite?

Law is very competitive, it's not for everyone. Particularly the under-capitalized. Make your decision and be comfortable with it, convincing others that you were right is a waste of time (pro-tip).

NYgrrl, were you on the panel?


There is no such thing as "using your degree to work in other fields". if someone else is in that field without a law degree, you do not need a law degree to participate in the field.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ad34964n, Bing [Bot], bloomsday, cjar819, Keilz, Leliana, Lmorina126, longsh0305, mav1993, monotonemr, mrgstephe, smartmoon, TecumsehSherman and 37 guests