Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zionman

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Zionman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:47 pm

We got some real buzzards on this thread.

1) The previous post about me withdrawing from fordham wasnt accurate. I had not actually withdrawn at the time..it was more of a figurative thing. Admittedly, some venting was involved.

2) I dont consider myself entitled for money just because of my own whims, ding..it's a matter of fact that Fordham's peers and superiors offered me more and most of the time, substantially more. That, to me, is a problem and a legit criticism of Fordham.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Zionman wrote:We got some real buzzards on this thread.

1) The previous post about me withdrawing from fordham wasnt accurate. I had not actually withdrawn at the time..it was more of a figurative thing. Admittedly, some venting was involved.

2) I dont consider myself entitled for money just because of my own whims, ding..it's a matter of fact that Fordham's peers and superiors offered me more and most of the time, substantially more. That, to me, is a problem and a legit criticism of Fordham.

1) if you're gonna withdraw, withdraw. That way someone else can take your place
2) so go for the money. Every school has different criteria for allocating funds. Fordham proportionally gives more need based than many of its peers, and less merit based. Additionally, Fordham has less to give.
It's worth noting that Fordham holds its own among its so called peers without having to give out as much in merit aid.
But I digress. The school offering less merit aid than a peer is not a reflection on you personally, and you shouldn't take it as such. Complaining about it doesn't help.
Good luck wherever you do end up going.

Zionman

Postby Zionman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:00 pm

dingbat wrote:

1) if you're gonna withdraw, withdraw. That way someone else can take your place
2) so go for the money. Every school has different criteria for allocating funds. Fordham proportionally gives more need based than many of its peers, and less merit based. Additionally, Fordham has less to give.
It's worth noting that Fordham holds its own among its so called peers without having to give out as much in merit aid.
But I digress. The school offering less merit aid than a peer is not a reflection on you personally, and you shouldn't take it as such. Complaining about it doesn't help.

1) Fordham does not offer more need based aid than its competitors. I can only base this offanecdotal and personal evidence, but still...
2) I dont take it personally (not anymore, anways)..their frugality to a legit issue and I think it's noteworthy enough to mention.
3) I went for the money/a better school, so it all worked out for me, but again, even if I'm not attending Fordham, I still dont see any harm in commenting about Fordham, especially when my issues are relevant to the overall admission process
4) I have a strange suspicion that youre a fordham adcomm.

Good luck to you as well.

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:05 pm

I really do believe Zionman and Mr Anon are the same person. Allow me to blow your mind: mr anon has a gap in posting activity for most of June. Zionman has most of his posts precisely during that gap.

Total coincidence?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Zionman wrote:
dingbat wrote:

1) Fordham does not offer more need based aid than its competitors. I can only base this offanecdotal and personal evidence, but still...
2) I dont take it personally (not anymore, anways)..their frugality to a legit issue and I think it's noteworthy enough to mention.
3) I went for the money/a better school, so it all worked out for me, but again, even if I'm not attending Fordham, I still dont see any harm in commenting about Fordham, especially when my issues are relevant to the overall admission process
4) I have a strange suspicion that youre a fordham adcomm.

Good luck to you as well.
I looked up statistics on Merit/Need aid at peer schools months back. There are some peer schools that give a similar proportion as Fordham, and many more that do not. However, as I'm not in a position to look it up right now, I'll agree to disagree on that point.
I hope I didn't offend. Just the way it appears to me
I do not work for Fordham in any way shape or form

law2015

Postby law2015 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Fordham is not a wise choice at anything close to sticker price. The fact that the school has bad job prospects and does not give out merit scholly will mean doom to many graduating in three years. Fordham is also not competitive in recruiting students because peer schools just give out more money. In this economy people consider scholly money a lot more than in previous cycles and I would assume that with the drop in applicants Fordham's numbers for this class will be lower dropping them in the rankings.

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:25 pm

law2015 wrote:Fordham is not a wise choice at anything close to sticker price. The fact that the school has bad job prospects and does not give out merit scholly will mean doom to many graduating in three years. Fordham is also not competitive in recruiting students because peer schools just give out more money. In this economy people consider scholly money a lot more than in previous cycles and I would assume that with the drop in applicants Fordham's numbers for this class will be lower dropping them in the rankings.

Dude, wtf are you doing here? Bored?

law2015

Postby law2015 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:29 pm

ned wrote:
law2015 wrote:Fordham is not a wise choice at anything close to sticker price. The fact that the school has bad job prospects and does not give out merit scholly will mean doom to many graduating in three years. Fordham is also not competitive in recruiting students because peer schools just give out more money. In this economy people consider scholly money a lot more than in previous cycles and I would assume that with the drop in applicants Fordham's numbers for this class will be lower dropping them in the rankings.

Dude, wtf are you doing here? Bored?

Lol a little. I was considering Fordham if I didnt get NYU/CLS at the beginning of my cycle but just couldn't justify going without a substantial scholly so I definitely can relate to the poster above.

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Wow, Fordham has a ton of jilted lovers huh?

People seem genuinely hurt and insulted that they didn't get as much of a discount on tuition as they "deserved". I can understand that, but if you wound up at a better place for cheaper, coming back here to hate and take revenge is pretty lame. You seem to think Fordham will shrivel and die without you. Or hope.

Just realized my intended tone doesn't match what is coming through in this post. It's supposed to be hyperbole.
Last edited by ned on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:34 pm

If, in the face of these stats, people still identify Fordham as a dream school, the school will not have to give out money.

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:37 pm

MrAnon wrote:If, in the face of these stats, people still identify Fordham as a dream school, the school will not have to give out money.

There are no dream schools. We all have to write our own tickets. The world is not binary. It's a good, solid school in NYC. Nuf said.

(I feel like the protagonist at the end of a zombie movie.)

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
ned wrote:Opening kimono: I just turned 36. Am I the oldest?

Nope. :wink:

(Also, I love "seasoned.")
(Also also, JenDarby, how did we go all of last year without meeting? This must be changed, I think. Or did we meet and I didn't realize it?!? haha.)

I don't believe we have met, we'll definitely need to fix that.

ajax

Postby ajax » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:10 pm

dingbat wrote:

Complaining about it actually does help. Being silent does not. Complaining about it may make others aware of an issue (Fordham not offering squat), that they were not previously aware of.

ajax

Postby ajax » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:13 pm

ned wrote:Wow, Fordham has a ton of jilted lovers huh?

People seem genuinely hurt and insulted that they didn't get as much of a discount on tuition as they "deserved". I can understand that, but if you wound up at a better place for cheaper, coming back here to hate and take revenge is pretty lame. You seem to think Fordham will shrivel and die without you. Or hope.

Just realized my intended tone doesn't match what is coming through in this post. It's supposed to be hyperbole.

Jilted lovers? Or people who didn't fail at cost/benefit analysis in econ 101?

ajax

Postby ajax » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:15 pm

ned wrote:
MrAnon wrote:If, in the face of these stats, people still identify Fordham as a dream school, the school will not have to give out money.

There are no dream schools. We all have to write our own tickets. The world is not binary. It's a good, solid school in NYC. Nuf said.

No one is claiming Fordham is a bad school. I believe you are having trouble spotting the issue. The issue is whether or not Fordham is worth 150k sticker plus cost of living. The answer to the issue is no.

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:31 pm

ajax wrote:
ned wrote:

No one is claiming Fordham is a bad school. I believe you are having trouble spotting the issue. The issue is whether or not Fordham is worth 150k sticker plus cost of living. The answer to the issue is no.

This zombie is trying to eat my brain! Looks like someone started to read getting to maybe!

Fine, it's a quiet day so I won't ignore you.

What is a reasonable monthly loan payment for a Fordham grad to pay 3 years from now? I assume you've made the analysis and came up with a universally appropriate number. Do tell.

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:37 pm

ajax wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Complaining about it actually does help. Being silent does not. Complaining about it may make others aware of an issue (Fordham not offering squat), that they were not previously aware of.

While you try to find the flawless analysis I'm sure you did months ago, I'll respond to this gem. YOU ARE COMPLAINING TO THE WRONG PEOPLE! Please stop wallowing and trying to pull everyone down with you. Jeez.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Are we the only thread that get these inciteful posters?

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm

dingbat wrote:Are we the only thread that get these inciteful posters?

Feels like it.... I'd usually ignore it but the combination of coffee and quiet day at work....

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:
mijenks wrote:Wow, I guess I'm the baby at 29.

You got three years on me, and since most of the class will probably be straight from undergrad anyone over 23 will probably be considered a dinosaur.

I AM a dinosaur.

I should wear a coat and tie tomorrow so other students and their parents will ask me questions about being a professor at the school and I can tell them I am just starting 1L in August. I crack me up!

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:19 pm

JCFindley wrote:
SDPalmTree wrote:

You got three years on me, and since most of the class will probably be straight from undergrad anyone over 23 will probably be considered a dinosaur.

I AM a dinosaur.

I should wear a coat and tie tomorrow so other students and their parents will ask me questions about being a professor at the school and I can tell them I am just starting 1L in August. I crack me up!

I'm the kind with feathers. I already did an ASD, though I wish we had a BBQ instead of dining hall wraps!

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:20 pm

dingbat wrote:Are we the only thread that get these inciteful posters?

Yes...... Seriously it is the only school that I have seen that does. The jilted lover thing hits the nail on the head if you ask me.

Couldn't they just troll the OKC School of Law thread or something?

Again, whatever.....

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:21 pm

ned wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
SDPalmTree wrote:

I AM a dinosaur.

I'm the kind with feathers. I already did an ASD, though I wish we had a BBQ instead of dining hall wraps!

Come again, enjoy the Q

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Feathered Ned.....

ned

Postby ned » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:34 pm

JCFindley wrote:Feathered Ned.....

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/42090 ... rk-SPL.jpg[/img]

that is soooo me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”