Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dietcoke0

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 am

I got the email with splitter numbers, but haven't shown any interest in them since Feb, and have been just receiving emails just in case they wanted to throw money at me. So your theory may be accurate.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:07 am

dingbat wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Any school extending significant waitlist offers this late in the season has missed their admissions targets.

Define significant.
Please keep in mind the situation of a school like Fordham.
They need to provide offers and estimate a yield. Bu the second deposit they'd like to firm up their numbers. If they're short X places, they can pull X off the waitlist
However, plenty of people who have paid a deposit already are on waitlists at T14 schools.
These schools are only now pulling from the waitlist.
So, if NYU pulls, say, 20 off the waitlist this week, 5 of which had deposited at Fordham, that could mean 5 new spots opening up.
Therefore, a school like Fordham would naturally have noticeably more waitlist movement than a T14

I take it from a different angle. Threads for almost all non-T10 schools are reporting an uptick in scholarships, except Fordham. We know this admissions cycle is murder: I project applications are down 20 to 25 percent over the last 2 years with the sharpest drop this year. Schools have two choices: offer more scholarships to defend medians or admit more people with lower numbers. It appears Fordham has opted against the first option. So it's natural to assume they are admitting more people.

As Professor Campos has said, it wasn't until schools started realizing their admitted students were not depositing (anecdotally, a 20% drop in deposits this year) that it dawned on them they had to admit more students, hence the late waitlist movement.

When it's well known going to law school is suicide and you're not likely to get a job at most schools, schools have to adapt. Fordham hasn't.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:34 am

Alright ladies and gentlemen, here's the deal.....

Fordham operates a little differently when it comes to how they distribute limited aid funds. You are either happy with what you get and find that the risk vs reward is worth attending or is not. It is a personal choice and personally I don't judge anyone else whether they pay sticker or turn down 30K/year because it is their choice......

What I don't get and don't really see in other threads in acceptances, denials and waitlists is the students that have decided not to attend the school coming in and badmouthing the school for not giving them what they think they deserved. It is one thing to talk frankly about a choice you have yet to make it is another to keep popping into the Fordham thread when you are 95% sure you are attending Brooklyn. Hey, Brooklyn or Cardozo for almost free is not a bad deal and I won't second guess someone's choice to go to either but I won't go into those threads and talk about job prospects vs Fordham. You choose the school that best suits your needs and finances and once the choice is made you live with it and you OWN that choice and make it work for YOU.

When you come into the acceptance thread of a school you didn't choose and start slamming it, the impression you give is one of either sour grapes or that you are trying to justify YOUR decision. What are you really trying to accomplish here? Are you trying to "punish" the school for not giving you more money? Are you trying to influence other people to make the choice you did thus validating your own? If that is your goal you are really not accomplishing much if anything at all.

To be honest I am far to busy to spend any more time arguing one way or the other about it but if it makes you feel better rant on.......

loisaida

Postby loisaida » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:47 am

FWIW, I've made it pretty clear that I would love to get off the wait list at Fordham and they sent me this 'interest e-mail' 2 days ago. So I'm not so sure about the "checking in with people who haven't contacted Admissions" theory.

From seeing what people on this thread have been saying, it seems that they've offered a spot off the wait list to some folks who turned it down in the past couple of weeks because of money. They may be checking in with candidates who they suspect may walk away from paying full price if they offer a spot to them (the numbers seem around median GPA, at or a couple points below median LSAT). Every school wants to protect their yield and they probably wouldn't bother offering a spot to someone if they will not take it due to funds.

My $0.02.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:03 am

loisaida wrote:FWIW, I've made it pretty clear that I would love to get off the wait list at Fordham and they sent me this 'interest e-mail' 2 days ago. So I'm not so sure about the "checking in with people who haven't contacted Admissions" theory.

From seeing what people on this thread have been saying, it seems that they've offered a spot off the wait list to some folks who turned it down in the past couple of weeks because of money. They may be checking in with candidates who they suspect may walk away from paying full price if they offer a spot to them (the numbers seem around median GPA, at or a couple points below median LSAT). Every school wants to protect their yield and they probably wouldn't bother offering a spot to someone if they will not take it due to funds.

My $0.02.

NYU has done something similar, but worse - they actually called the waitlisted candidates to ask if they will attend prior to offering them admission
That is, in my opinion, cheating - they are artificially boosting their yield by actively seeking confirmation that the student will attend prior to making an offer (and doing so by phone so that there is no written record)

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:11 am

dingbat wrote:
loisaida wrote:FWIW, I've made it pretty clear that I would love to get off the wait list at Fordham and they sent me this 'interest e-mail' 2 days ago. So I'm not so sure about the "checking in with people who haven't contacted Admissions" theory.

My $0.02.

NYU has done something similar, but worse - they actually called the waitlisted candidates to ask if they will attend prior to offering them admission
That is, in my opinion, cheating - they are artificially boosting their yield by actively seeking confirmation that the student will attend prior to making an offer (and doing so by phone so that there is no written record)

No such thing as cheating in war, business and the USNews Rankings.....

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:12 am

dingbat wrote:NYU has done something similar, but worse - they actually called the waitlisted candidates to ask if they will attend prior to offering them admission

I think this is pretty standard actually. I don't know how many schools flat out ask whether you will attend, but most give a call to "gauge your interest" prior to making an offer.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 am

I don't mean this in a rude way, but do people at median expect scholarships? I only expected/hoped for scholarships from places where I was above median. If I was at median, my fingers were crossed for acceptance. Above 75% is where I felt confident expecting a scholarship.

A call to guage your interest? No where I was accepted off the wait list did this. Fordham didn't guage my interest, even though they accepted me with money off the WL.

It's been a while since I've offered this, if anyone has specific questions they would like to ask a rising 2L that you don't want to post here, feel free to PM me.

loisaida

Postby loisaida » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:23 am

dingbat wrote:

My $0.02.

It makes sense. I meant this more also as these people may have higher scholarships to lesser ranked schools (that they have deposited at) and may balk at taking out the full loans after getting in off the wait list. If you have median-ish numbers at Fordham, you can probably get some amount of money from schools ranked 35-50. (And even more below that.)

Anyways- I'm still hoping to get in, and fingers crossed for all else who would like to attend!

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:24 am

JenDarby wrote:A call to guage your interest? No where I was accepted off the wait list did this. Fordham didn't guage my interest, even though they accepted me with money off the WL.

Yeah, maybe it's new for this year or something, but lots of schools are doing it (Penn, Columbia, NYU come to mind).

ETA: Oh yeah, and I got a gauging interest call from a t-25 a few months ago FWIW.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:28 am

cogitoergosum wrote:
JenDarby wrote:A call to guage your interest? No where I was accepted off the wait list did this. Fordham didn't guage my interest, even though they accepted me with money off the WL.

Yeah, maybe it's new for this year or something, but lots of schools are doing it (Penn, Columbia, NYU come to mind).

I can see some merit in considering that cheating in regards to yield, but either way those must be great calls to receive. I love schools that call students to inform them they are accepted. Well, love/hate. Staring at your phone waiting for those calls can be be rough.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:30 am

JenDarby wrote:Staring at your phone waiting for those calls can be be rough.

Story of my life :?

ajax

Postby ajax » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:31 am

JenDarby wrote:I don't mean this in a rude way, but do people at median expect scholarships? I only expected/hoped for scholarships from places where I was above median. If I was at median, my fingers were crossed for acceptance. Above 75% is where I felt confident expecting a scholarship.

A call to guage your interest? No where I was accepted off the wait list did this. Fordham didn't guage my interest, even though they accepted me with money off the WL.

It's been a while since I've offered this, if anyone has specific questions they would like to ask a rising 2L that you don't want to post here, feel free to PM me.

Hmm. Well, people "at median" will actually be above median when the new data is released. That, and the fact that only about 20% of Fordham graduates landed biglaw last year, is probably why people expect scholarships. As someone who has been working for some time now, I can guarantee you hell trying to pay back 150k plus on even 75k a year in the NYC area if you miss biglaw.

Wily

Postby Wily » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:41 am

FWIW, I did get asked before I was accepted whether I would still be interested in going without a merit scholarship.

Also, I officially withdrew yesterday, so good luck to everyone still on the WL!

B986

Postby B986 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Kathryn Espiritu ‏@KathrynForLaw
Lots of happenings in Admissions...offers going out throughout the day.

Oh boyyy

Lookingforanswers

Postby Lookingforanswers » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Good luck and Congrats to all of those who get offers today!

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:21 pm

B986 wrote:Kathryn Espiritu ‏@KathrynForLaw
Lots of happenings in Admissions...offers going out throughout the day.

Oh boyyy

Good luck to ALL!!!!!

nautlius

Postby nautlius » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Has anyone heard back!?

loisaida

Postby loisaida » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:22 pm

nautlius wrote:Has anyone heard back!?

Nope. Nothing on the status checker either. Anyone else?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:50 pm

JenDarby wrote:I don't mean this in a rude way, but do people at median expect scholarships?
At least one special snowflake in this thread seems to think so.
To be fair, I think some people, when they get a scholly at a "peer" school (GW, BC, etc) are genuinely shocked to not get a similar offer.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 pm

On an entirely different note, I just had a wonderful Fordham related experience today.

I was in court for a minor traffic violation and while waiting I was talking to someone there. When he learned I was going to start Fordham in the fall, he took my case pro-bono
Turned out he's an alum.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:09 pm

dingbat wrote:On an entirely different note, I just had a wonderful Fordham related experience today.

I was in court for a minor traffic violation and while waiting I was talking to someone there. When he learned I was going to start Fordham in the fall, he took my case pro-bono
Turned out he's an alum.

Well now that is just plain cool.....

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:26 pm

For those who missed it, new employment data is out (Class of 2011)

25.46% at firms of 101+ attorneys
2.57% at federal clerkship
4.67% State & local clerkship
8.41% PI
10.98% Government

14.49% unemployed or unknown

64% employed in NY, with another 7% in NJ

Someone please correct this if my arithmetic is off

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:25 pm

dingbat wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I don't mean this in a rude way, but do people at median expect scholarships?
At least one special snowflake in this thread seems to think so.
To be fair, I think some people, when they get a scholly at a "peer" school (GW, BC, etc) are genuinely shocked to not get a similar offer.

Well after the last round of bumps before second deposit, they finally gave me a large bump to make me happy.

Either way, I think some people just don't understand how certain schools work. Schools like BLS, who gave me quite a bit without me showing much interest, might set the bar higher when Cardozo, who I visited and talked to admissions, gave me nothing. Makes me feel a little slighted since they are similar schools.

Then schools like WUSTL, who just throw money around like madmen throw the system out of whack, but that's what works for them to knock people off the coast.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Last edited by dingbat on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”