Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zionman
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Zionman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Zionman wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Zionman wrote:Withdrew earlier in cycle (like late march) but
this school is cheap as hell. That is all... 8)

:lol: you seem like you're going places.


Don't wanna get into a personal tit for tat. Anybody else have this experience?


Or any other experience w/ regards to $$$ with F.
Last edited by Zionman on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zionman
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Zionman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:46 pm

dingbat wrote:
Zionman wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Zionman wrote:Withdrew earlier in cycle (like late march) but
this school is cheap as hell. That is all... 8)

:lol: you seem like you're going places.


Don't wanna get into a personal tit for tat. Anybody else have this experience?

Which experience? Please explain


Getting $$$$

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Zionman wrote:Getting $$$$

Well yeah, there are tons of us. It's part of the deal with Fordham, and it sucks.

It goes both ways though: those of us who turned down top-14 offers to attend Fordham, only to be stonewalled in scholarship negotiations will likely NOT be "giving back" after graduation.

I'm one of what is probably a small percentage of people who graduated in May and has already donated to my UG's scholarship fund. I did so because I felt like I received a lot from the organization personally and professionally, and I felt like they invested in me with time, and yes, scholarship funds. At this point it's hard to see myself feeling the same way about Fordham :?, although I hope that will change.

Zionman
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Zionman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:09 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
Zionman wrote:Getting $$$$

Well yeah, there are tons of us. It's part of the deal with Fordham, and it sucks.

It goes both ways though: those of us who turned down top-14 offers to attend Fordham, only to be stonewalled in scholarship negotiations will likely NOT be "giving back" after graduation.


This. I didnt let it get that far, though. withdrew before 1st deposit deadline...ended up deciding dozo with full ride. Are people willing to put up the $$ at F. or do they just not have any to give? Kinda puzzling, especially in this cycle.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Zionman wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
Zionman wrote:Getting $$$$

Well yeah, there are tons of us. It's part of the deal with Fordham, and it sucks.

It goes both ways though: those of us who turned down top-14 offers to attend Fordham, only to be stonewalled in scholarship negotiations will likely NOT be "giving back" after graduation.


This. I didnt let it get that far, though. withdrew before 1st deposit deadline...ended up deciding dozo with full ride. Are people willing to put up the $$ at F. or do they just not have any to give? Kinda puzzling, especially in this cycle.

what are your numbers?
If you go back a few threadpages you'll see people who got money from Fordham

Not to mention the fact that Fordham gives proportionally a lot of need based aid compared to many of their peers who give mostly merit aid.
(but let's not start a debate on merit vs need)

Zionman
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Zionman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:15 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
Zionman wrote:Getting $$$$

Well yeah, there are tons of us. It's part of the deal with Fordham, and it sucks.

It goes both ways though: those of us who turned down top-14 offers to attend Fordham, only to be stonewalled in scholarship negotiations will likely NOT be "giving back" after graduation.

I'm one of what is probably a small percentage of people who graduated in May and has already donated to my UG's scholarship fund. I did so because I felt like I received a lot from the organization personally and professionally, and I felt like they invested in me with time, and yes, scholarship funds. At this point it's hard to see myself feeling the same way about Fordham :?, although I hope that will change.




Is this just you or a generel notion? Are students unhappy w F.? (tryna figure if i made right decision in forgoing 'presige' for no-debt)

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Zionman wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
Zionman wrote:Getting $$$$

Well yeah, there are tons of us. It's part of the deal with Fordham, and it sucks.

It goes both ways though: those of us who turned down top-14 offers to attend Fordham, only to be stonewalled in scholarship negotiations will likely NOT be "giving back" after graduation.

I'm one of what is probably a small percentage of people who graduated in May and has already donated to my UG's scholarship fund. I did so because I felt like I received a lot from the organization personally and professionally, and I felt like they invested in me with time, and yes, scholarship funds. At this point it's hard to see myself feeling the same way about Fordham :?, although I hope that will change.




Is this just you or a generel notion? Are students unhappy w F.? (tryna figure if i made right decision in forgoing 'presige' for no-debt)

Well, Fordham certainly has some great things going for it, or I wouldn't even be thinking of it at sticker. I think there are lots of students (above median) that are very happy with Fordham, as well as some others that hate it (life-crushing debt, depressing job prospects, etc.) As far as your decision goes, it really just depends on so many things. It's a risk. I'm not borrowing full COA, so that made it a little less risky for me. I'm still pretty scared though TBH.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:51 pm

I will say this, Fordham takes care of veterans and that is a big deal for me.

They do a LOT better than most of their peer schools in this regard as well as better than most schools in the NYC area. Dozo and St J do a good job for their vets as well but the rest are less accommodating if they participate in the yellow ribbon program at all.

JC

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:53 pm

JCFindley wrote:I will say this, Fordham takes care of veterans and that is a big deal for me.

They do a LOT better than most of their peer schools in this regard as well as better than most schools in the NYC area. Dozo and St J do a good job for their vets as well but the rest are less accommodating if they participate in the yellow ribbon program at all.

JC

Yeah, that's cool. I'm glad they took care of you JC.

Although I think it will be on you in 20 years to replenish the vet scholarship fund :)

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
JCFindley wrote:I will say this, Fordham takes care of veterans and that is a big deal for me.

They do a LOT better than most of their peer schools in this regard as well as better than most schools in the NYC area. Dozo and St J do a good job for their vets as well but the rest are less accommodating if they participate in the yellow ribbon program at all.

JC

Yeah, that's cool. I'm glad they took care of you JC.

Although I think it will be on you in 20 years to replenish the vet scholarship fund :)


Oh, I do agree.... I used to give to my UG before my ex-wives made me poor..... ROFLMAO, or my lifestyle choices made me poor to actually take responsibility for such things. :)

The way it works BTW is the GI Bill pays X, The difference between X and Tuition is paid by the student unless the school says they will participate in the yellow ribbon program. If they do, they will match up to Y dollars for so many students and the VA will also match that Y. The key is if X + 2Y = Tuition. It does at Fordham. In the T-14 the only schools I noted doing the program at that level were Mich and Cornell....

The point being is that Fordham does spend quite a bit of money towards its students tuition; it just doesn't do it all in merit based aid.

Zionman
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Zionman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:29 pm

JCFindley wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
JCFindley wrote:I will say this, Fordham takes care of veterans and that is a big deal for me.

They do a LOT better than most of their peer schools in this regard as well as better than most schools in the NYC area. Dozo and St J do a good job for their vets as well but the rest are less accommodating if they participate in the yellow ribbon program at all.

JC

Yeah, that's cool. I'm glad they took care of you JC.

Although I think it will be on you in 20 years to replenish the vet scholarship fund :)


Oh, I do agree.... I used to give to my UG before my ex-wives made me poor..... ROFLMAO, or my lifestyle choices made me poor to actually take responsibility for such things. :)

The way it works BTW is the GI Bill pays X, The difference between X and Tuition is paid by the student unless the school says they will participate in the yellow ribbon program. If they do, they will match up to Y dollars for so many students and the VA will also match that Y. The key is if X + 2Y = Tuition. It does at Fordham. In the T-14 the only schools I noted doing the program at that level were Mich and Cornell....

The point being is that Fordham does spend quite a bit of money towards its students tuition; it just doesn't do it all in merit based aid.



What's the value of X, typically?

Honestly it's a shame that the gov doesnt take better care of vets, overall, even though i dont agree that the fed should be providing $ to go to a highly overpriced school. Still, replenish my ass..you dont owe shit. If youre gonna give money give it to vets directly for more needy purposes than going to a f'n law school. How bout they take care of vets w/ no high school degree and a shitload of other stuff first.. smh. my 2c. excuse the rant

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby manofjustice » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:20 pm

We need to look at the big picture: law schools need to get less expensive. Law schools benefit too much from subsidized student loans, which will probably need to be bailed out soon enough by the taxpayer. For Fordham, of all schools, to refuse to give scholarship aid as do other equally or higher ranked schools...well, it's not going to last. If they want to fill their class with qualified applicants, they'll have to change.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:46 pm

manofjustice wrote:We need to look at the big picture: law schools need to get less expensive. Law schools benefit too much from subsidized student loans, which will probably need to be bailed out soon enough by the taxpayer. For Fordham, of all schools, to refuse to give scholarship aid as do other equally or higher ranked schools...well, it's not going to last. If they want to fill their class with qualified applicants, they'll have to change.

it's not that they don't give scholarship aid, they just didn't give it to you.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Wily » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Well, I just withdrew from Fordham because of the lack of scholarship money, even though it was originally my top pick. The adcomm emails said that only 33% of students get merit scholarships, which seems low compared to other similarly ranked schools. Best of luck to those still on the waitlists!

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Wily wrote:Well, I just withdrew from Fordham because of the lack of scholarship money, even though it was originally my top pick. The adcomm emails said that only 33% of students get merit scholarships, which seems low compared to other similarly ranked schools. Best of luck to those still on the waitlists!

Good luck at GW

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Zionman wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
JCFindley wrote:I will say this, Fordham takes care of veterans and that is a big deal for me.

They do a LOT better than most of their peer schools in this regard as well as better than most schools in the NYC area. Dozo and St J do a good job for their vets as well but the rest are less accommodating if they participate in the yellow ribbon program at all.

JC

Yeah, that's cool. I'm glad they took care of you JC.

Although I think it will be on you in 20 years to replenish the vet scholarship fund :)


Oh, I do agree.... I used to give to my UG before my ex-wives made me poor..... ROFLMAO, or my lifestyle choices made me poor to actually take responsibility for such things. :)

The way it works BTW is the GI Bill pays X, The difference between X and Tuition is paid by the student unless the school says they will participate in the yellow ribbon program. If they do, they will match up to Y dollars for so many students and the VA will also match that Y. The key is if X + 2Y = Tuition. It does at Fordham. In the T-14 the only schools I noted doing the program at that level were Mich and Cornell....

The point being is that Fordham does spend quite a bit of money towards its students tuition; it just doesn't do it all in merit based aid.



What's the value of X, typically?

Honestly it's a shame that the gov doesnt take better care of vets, overall, even though i dont agree that the fed should be providing $ to go to a highly overpriced school. Still, replenish my ass..you dont owe shit. If youre gonna give money give it to vets directly for more needy purposes than going to a f'n law school. How bout they take care of vets w/ no high school degree and a shitload of other stuff first.. smh. my 2c. excuse the rant


No worries on the rant....

Regarding X it is generally 17.5/yr for private institutions and full in state tuition for public schools. That is for a UG degree program or a graduate program. (I say generally as there are some exceptions but it is true of most states/schools) Then there is the yellow ribbon program which a school chooses to participate in or not. The school picks both the number of students they allow to get the program and the amount of money it will allow at that school. If the school participates then the VA matches the schools amount so the school contributes Y and the VA matches that. That can range from a very low amount to $99,999.99/yr (Which of course won't be reached in ANY schools that I can think of) How many students are allowed varies widely depending on the school as does the amount covered. For instance, if I recall correctly BU could have been an option for me whereas BC would not have been. (Assumes my wife was not a native NYer born and raised in the city and would have lived in Boston.)

At the end of the day some schools are far friendlier to vets than others in this program. Dozo does well, where as Brooklyn does not participate at all so anything beyond 17.5 is out of pocket at B.

As far as donating I tend to be very loyal to organizations that have done well by me. I am already that loyal to Fordham and I haven't stepped foot in a class yet. Concerning military causes I have been donating to the USO since I was a 2LT. It is and will be my favorite NGO concerning the military. In the last couple years the economy and my ex wives attorneys have taken their toll on my finances but I donate a lot of my art to various auctions that support military causes from PTSD to DMV causes. Since I don't have $$$ I use what talents I have.....

Regarding if you made the right choice or not the point is really moot as what is done is done. You can only make choices based on what you know and feel at the time you make it so regardless you simply make the best of it without looking back. Kill it at Dozo and get the job you want you won't think twice about that choice in the future. If you don't you probably wouldn't have at Fordham either but at least you won't be buried in the same level of debt.....


manofjustice wrote:We need to look at the big picture: law schools need to get less expensive. Law schools benefit too much from subsidized student loans, which will probably need to be bailed out soon enough by the taxpayer. For Fordham, of all schools, to refuse to give scholarship aid as do other equally or higher ranked schools...well, it's not going to last. If they want to fill their class with qualified applicants, they'll have to change.


So far they are still filling their classes but lets look at the economics here of similarly ranked schools. How many of them are in Manhattan? Similarly ranked schools are simply not there. I am going to use the #29 school tied with Fordham in that spot as my non-NYC example. It is a LOT cheaper to buy real estate in Tuscaloosa. Buildings are cheaper to build and cheaper to maintain. You don't have to pay staff anywhere near what you do to live in NYC and that ranges from the cleaning staff up through the Dean..... It is attached to the parent UA and there is an economy of scale in that from the University physical plant to not needing extra security guards just for the LS.... Absolutely everything is more expensive in NYC and having the school in that location simply costs more than WUSTL or UGA, or Bama, or MN, or Iowa or just about anywhere except possibly DC and Boston. If you want to go to school in Manhattan it is going to cost money regardless of where it comes from. (Just a wild guess is DOZO got a lot of extra $$$ this year from the religious community it serves because they want to regain the ground they lost in the rankings.... But that would explain the sudden widespread offers of full ride $$$ as people withdrew.)

Fordham IS working on being able to offer more money and they are aware of the skyrocketing costs for the LS. Hopefully that will change in the future and allow more people to attend at a reduced cost. I also know that is to late to help folks like Wily and I wish you the best of luck at GW.....

JC

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby ned » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 am

So far they are still filling their classes but lets look at the economics here of similarly ranked schools. How many of them are in Manhattan? Similarly ranked schools are simply not there. I am going to use the #29 school tied with Fordham in that spot as my non-NYC example. It is a LOT cheaper to buy real estate in Tuscaloosa. Buildings are cheaper to build and cheaper to maintain. You don't have to pay staff anywhere near what you do to live in NYC and that ranges from the cleaning staff up through the Dean..... It is attached to the parent UA and there is an economy of scale in that from the University physical plant to not needing extra security guards just for the LS.... Absolutely everything is more expensive in NYC and having the school in that location simply costs more than WUSTL or UGA, or Bama, or MN, or Iowa or just about anywhere except possibly DC and Boston. If you want to go to school in Manhattan it is going to cost money regardless of where it comes from. (Just a wild guess is DOZO got a lot of extra $$$ this year from the religious community it serves because they want to regain the ground they lost in the rankings.... But that would explain the sudden widespread offers of full ride $$$ as people withdrew.)

Fordham IS working on being able to offer more money and they are aware of the skyrocketing costs for the LS. Hopefully that will change in the future and allow more people to attend at a reduced cost. I also know that is to late to help folks like Wily and I wish you the best of luck at GW.....

JC


Gotta call you on this one. You're saying Cardozo is rich because it has a Jewish affiliation. I know you said it was a wild guess, but it is based purely on a stereotype. And even if your stereotype were true, your assumption that Fordham would give more aid if only they could is also flawed. Also, Fordham probably has more Jewish alum than Cardozo.

The fact is that Fordham is sitting pretty at #3 in the metro area. They can't hope to reach #2, and #4 isn't a threat. If they drop below 30 on USNR, maybe they increase merit aid. Otherwise, they divert money wherever it's needed more, like maybe the Bronx or financing their new building project. I would not be surprised if the Law School functions as a cash cow for the rest of the University, permitting low-income undergrads to get a college degree.

Meanwhile, Cardozo is throwing everything they have at merit aid in order to climb out of second-tier status. This does NOT indicate they have more money than Fordham. It only indicates their need to goose their stats.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13298
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:44 am

Fordhams endowment for scholarships isn't exactly impressive. Generally that money can't be diverted elsewhere as its openly gifted for a specific purpose.

I'm not going to attest to the acuracy of this, but most endowments aren't a secret. i.e. it wasn't a secret when IUB received its huge endowment. You can read right on their website how it's to be used.

http://lawschoolalmanac.blogspot.com/20 ... 8.html?m=1

Outside of endowments, other students tuition pays for scholarships.

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby ned » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:33 pm

JenDarby wrote:Fordhams endowment for scholarships isn't exactly impressive. Generally that money can't be diverted elsewhere as its openly gifted for a specific purpose.

I'm not going to attest to the acuracy of this, but most endowments aren't a secret. i.e. it wasn't a secret when IUB received its huge endowment. You can read right on their website how it's to be used.

http://lawschoolalmanac.blogspot.com/20 ... 8.html?m=1

Outside of endowments, other students tuition pays for scholarships.


This isn't really part of my overall point, but I hear what you're saying about earmarked funds. I didn't mean to imply that Fordham is doing anything wrong or improper. That said, the difference between endowments at Cardozo and Fordham is only $1 Million. The schools don't dip into that. If anything, just the earning generated by that money might go to students. So let's be super-generous and say they earn 10%/year ($100,000 more for Cardozo than Fordham). That means Cardozo can give 2 more full rides per year than Fordham.

My "diverted" statement only refers to the practice of "choosing" where to invest funds that are not earmarked for scholarships. Some schools might put more of those funds toward scholarships, others might put less. And it might change a bit from year to year. My current employer increased aid for new students after the crash in 2009, then reduced it a couple years later.

Also, the general benefit of "money" is that it's fungible. For example, at the higher ed institution where I work, a major state grant was awarded to the school for a specific program. Rather than giving that money to the program, the school put that grant toward the construction costs for the new building that would theoretically house the program. The unspoken promise was that the money saved on financing the building would come back to the program once the building was finished. However, once the building was finished, the school killed the program. No, they didn't plan it that way, but that's what wound up happening. Somewhere else in the budget, there is now more money than there otherwise would have been. That might be anywhere at this point, used for anything the school desires. Ultimately all complex budgets are flexible like this.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13298
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:50 pm

^ I didn't quote you because I wasn't specifically addressing you. It was just an open ended statement. There's a lot of typing goin on here so I truthfully haven't read most of it.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I didn't say it was because of their "Jewish" affiliation as which affiliation does not matter. What I am saying is that they do have other revenue streams they can gain access too and religious schools can and do have the backing of their church if the school maintains strong ties with the church. If you don't think BYU gets money from LDS or ND generates an income from the Catholic Church you would be mistaken....

My point being that there are other revenue streams out there and some are not available to Fordham..... Has nothing to do with WHAT religious association it is.....

I do not stereo-type the Jewish religion or its people as rich or in any other way at all. I have been to Israel and trained with the Israelis for an extended period. (Israel is is predominantly Jewish if you didn't know that....) Guess what, it is an awful lot like America in that the majority of people are just middle class folks wanting to make their living any way they know how..... Within the US I couldn't tell you who I know that is or isn't Jewish as I don't pay attention to such things.

I am not a Dozo hater here just noting that their sudden influx of $$$ being spent might well be do to their drop in the rankings The drop really doesn't matter one bit mind you but maybe that freed up some money. Heck, I have no idea other than they suddenly offered a lot of free rides as people withdrew at the end of the cycle..... Cardozo is a fine school but it's not Fordham..... And Fordham is not Cardozo......

Bottom line is we can speculate all day long about why Fordham gives only X where as _______ law school gives Y but in the end you are either happy with what you get or you are not. If you are not, then attend ________ law school.....

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 pm

JCFindley wrote:Bottom line is we can speculate all day long about why Fordham gives only X where as _______ law school gives Y but in the end you are either happy with what you get or you are not. If you are not, then attend ________ law school.....

Truer words have never been spoken

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby ned » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:57 pm

JCFindley wrote:I didn't say it was because of their "Jewish" affiliation as which affiliation does not matter. What I am saying is that they do have other revenue streams they can gain access too and religious schools can and do have the backing of their church if the school maintains strong ties with the church. If you don't think BYU gets money from LDS or ND generates an income from the Catholic Church you would be mistaken....

My point being that there are other revenue streams out there and some are not available to Fordham..... Has nothing to do with WHAT religious association it is.....

I do not stereo-type the Jewish religion or its people as rich or in any other way at all. I have been to Israel and trained with the Israelis for an extended period. (Israel is is predominantly Jewish if you didn't know that....) Guess what, it is an awful lot like America in that the majority of people are just middle class folks wanting to make their living any way they know how..... Within the US I couldn't tell you who I know that is or isn't Jewish as I don't pay attention to such things.

I am not a Dozo hater here just noting that their sudden influx of $$$ being spent might well be do to their drop in the rankings The drop really doesn't matter one bit mind you but maybe that freed up some money. Heck, I have no idea other than they suddenly offered a lot of free rides as people withdrew at the end of the cycle..... Cardozo is a fine school but it's not Fordham..... And Fordham is not Cardozo......

Bottom line is we can speculate all day long about why Fordham gives only X where as _______ law school gives Y but in the end you are either happy with what you get or you are not. If you are not, then attend ________ law school.....


I guess I misunderstood, since the two schools you are talking about are both religious and you mention such affiliation as source of funding for the Jewish one and not the Catholic one. Yeshiva University is Jewish, Fordham is Jesuit (Catholic). Also, I'm not in any way saying Fordham is a bad deal. I'm planning on attending and I got some money, so no complaints here.

Zionman
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Zionman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:24 pm

ned wrote:
So far they are still filling their classes but lets look at the economics here of similarly ranked schools. How many of them are in Manhattan? Similarly ranked schools are simply not there. I am going to use the #29 school tied with Fordham in that spot as my non-NYC example. It is a LOT cheaper to buy real estate in Tuscaloosa. Buildings are cheaper to build and cheaper to maintain. You don't have to pay staff anywhere near what you do to live in NYC and that ranges from the cleaning staff up through the Dean..... It is attached to the parent UA and there is an economy of scale in that from the University physical plant to not needing extra security guards just for the LS.... Absolutely everything is more expensive in NYC and having the school in that location simply costs more than WUSTL or UGA, or Bama, or MN, or Iowa or just about anywhere except possibly DC and Boston. If you want to go to school in Manhattan it is going to cost money regardless of where it comes from. (Just a wild guess is DOZO got a lot of extra $$$ this year from the religious community it serves because they want to regain the ground they lost in the rankings.... But that would explain the sudden widespread offers of full ride $$$ as people withdrew.)

Fordham IS working on being able to offer more money and they are aware of the skyrocketing costs for the LS. Hopefully that will change in the future and allow more people to attend at a reduced cost. I also know that is to late to help folks like Wily and I wish you the best of luck at GW.....

JC


Gotta call you on this one. You're saying Cardozo is rich because it has a Jewish affiliation. I know you said it was a wild guess, but it is based purely on a stereotype. And even if your stereotype were true, your assumption that Fordham would give more aid if only they could is also flawed. Also, Fordham probably has more Jewish alum than Cardozo.

The fact is that Fordham is sitting pretty at #3 in the metro area. They can't hope to reach #2, and #4 isn't a threat. If they drop below 30 on USNR, maybe they increase merit aid. Otherwise, they divert money wherever it's needed more, like maybe the Bronx or financing their new building project. I would not be surprised if the Law School functions as a cash cow for the rest of the University, permitting low-income undergrads to get a college degree.

Meanwhile, Cardozo is throwing everything they have at merit aid in order to climb out of second-tier status. This does NOT indicate they have more money than Fordham. It only indicates their need to goose their stats.


I know you’ve since reconciled, so good for both of you, but it’s kinda funny (may not be the right word) that you even thought of accusing jc of being discriminatory towards jews when he basically fought in a military that serves Israeli causes just as much as it serves the US.

Ppl are way too sensitive sometimes. Sometimes u gotta just recognize the truth even if u can’t handle it.

Anyways, thanks for the advice, jc, ur right about just moving on and ur statement about how if I don’t succeed at dozo, F. wouldn’t have made a difference. Part of me just wishes that it could have worked out with F., I guess. Regardless, however, ur comments gave me the right perspective.

Good luck! (Also Dozo’s comin’ for you Fordham…u wont be sitting pretty at #3 for long :D :!: :!: )

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:36 pm

ned wrote:
JCFindley wrote:I didn't say it was because of their "Jewish" affiliation as which affiliation does not matter. What I am saying is that they do have other revenue streams they can gain access too and religious schools can and do have the backing of their church if the school maintains strong ties with the church. If you don't think BYU gets money from LDS or ND generates an income from the Catholic Church you would be mistaken....

My point being that there are other revenue streams out there and some are not available to Fordham..... Has nothing to do with WHAT religious association it is.....

I do not stereo-type the Jewish religion or its people as rich or in any other way at all. I have been to Israel and trained with the Israelis for an extended period. (Israel is is predominantly Jewish if you didn't know that....) Guess what, it is an awful lot like America in that the majority of people are just middle class folks wanting to make their living any way they know how..... Within the US I couldn't tell you who I know that is or isn't Jewish as I don't pay attention to such things.

I am not a Dozo hater here just noting that their sudden influx of $$$ being spent might well be do to their drop in the rankings The drop really doesn't matter one bit mind you but maybe that freed up some money. Heck, I have no idea other than they suddenly offered a lot of free rides as people withdrew at the end of the cycle..... Cardozo is a fine school but it's not Fordham..... And Fordham is not Cardozo......

Bottom line is we can speculate all day long about why Fordham gives only X where as _______ law school gives Y but in the end you are either happy with what you get or you are not. If you are not, then attend ________ law school.....


I guess I misunderstood, since the two schools you are talking about are both religious and you mention such affiliation as source of funding for the Jewish one and not the Catholic one. Yeshiva University is Jewish, Fordham is Jesuit (Catholic). Also, I'm not in any way saying Fordham is a bad deal. I'm planning on attending and I got some money, so no complaints here.


Actually, that would be my bad, while I know about the history I didn't know that Fordham was still an active religious university.... I can certainly see how you would take my comments that way given the context..

Sorry about that.....




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”