Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rkh235

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby rkh235 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:05 pm

congrats congrats!! lets hope there are lotsss more WL ppl that get off tomorrow and the day after!
keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of this week!!

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Congrats to those admitted today. Hoping the rest of us hear some good news so on :-D

ned

Postby ned » Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 pm

JCFindley wrote:OK, I am an initial admit. I applied late so wasn't expecting to really hear anything until they started on the WL.

Stat wise, well, let me say that I did NOT get in based on my LSAT and GPA. My GPA is slightly above the 25th percentile.

This is a quote from the interview with Stephen Brown posted on TLS and is the only reason I applied.....

"TLS: Realistically speaking, how large a part of the admissions process are factors other than a candidate’s GPA and LSAT scores? Of these non-numerical factors, are there any that particularly pique your interest (military service, corporate work experience, Teach for America, etc.)? Can you give examples of what you see as excellent, good, and mediocre non-numerical attributes or accomplishments?

Fordham students are smart, but they’re not pure intellect. The school seeks out mature students who are in touch with the world, and have given law school real thought. Work experience, military service, and Teach for America are all very desirable. Obviously the rankings matter, but the school seeks to admit unusual candidates, and others who will add color to the class. Somewhere in this year’s entering class is a tugboat captain. There are artists, musicians, and students with work experience in a wide range of fields. Any activities that demonstrate a sense of social engagement are looked upon favorably."

Fordham is my top choice for a number of reasons and would have been if I had retaken the LSAT and got a 180. (Yes, I would go to Fordham over NYU and CLS and YHS....) So, against TLS logic I applied late when people said I shouldn't bother and did that with a PS that people didn't think was all that great and an LSAT that was in need of a retake......

My feeling was that as a nontraditional student with a somewhat unique background no one on here could really tell me what my real chances were. If it had been all about the numbers I would never have got in but indeed it is NOT all about the numbers with Fordham......

JC

I'm curious why you're so gung-ho on Fordham. It's great you feel that way, and I'll most likely see you there next year. But I can't say it was my first choice. Is it that you'd feel more comfortable there as a non-trad than at other schools? (I'm one too.)

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue May 01, 2012 11:57 pm

ned wrote:
JCFindley wrote:OK, I am an initial admit. I applied late so wasn't expecting to really hear anything until they started on the WL.

Stat wise, well, let me say that I did NOT get in based on my LSAT and GPA. My GPA is slightly above the 25th percentile.

This is a quote from the interview with Stephen Brown posted on TLS and is the only reason I applied.....

"TLS: Realistically speaking, how large a part of the admissions process are factors other than a candidate’s GPA and LSAT scores? Of these non-numerical factors, are there any that particularly pique your interest (military service, corporate work experience, Teach for America, etc.)? Can you give examples of what you see as excellent, good, and mediocre non-numerical attributes or accomplishments?

Fordham students are smart, but they’re not pure intellect. The school seeks out mature students who are in touch with the world, and have given law school real thought. Work experience, military service, and Teach for America are all very desirable. Obviously the rankings matter, but the school seeks to admit unusual candidates, and others who will add color to the class. Somewhere in this year’s entering class is a tugboat captain. There are artists, musicians, and students with work experience in a wide range of fields. Any activities that demonstrate a sense of social engagement are looked upon favorably."

Fordham is my top choice for a number of reasons and would have been if I had retaken the LSAT and got a 180. (Yes, I would go to Fordham over NYU and CLS and YHS....) So, against TLS logic I applied late when people said I shouldn't bother and did that with a PS that people didn't think was all that great and an LSAT that was in need of a retake......

My feeling was that as a nontraditional student with a somewhat unique background no one on here could really tell me what my real chances were. If it had been all about the numbers I would never have got in but indeed it is NOT all about the numbers with Fordham......

JC

I'm curious why you're so gung-ho on Fordham. It's great you feel that way, and I'll most likely see you there next year. But I can't say it was my first choice. Is it that you'd feel more comfortable there as a non-trad than at other schools? (I'm one too.)

Several things.... My wife is born and raised in NYC and works for an airline in Newark. She was on board with this whole chasing my dream thing IF it was in NYC or Newark. Since I kind of like being married this time that ruled out the rest of the country unless I wanted to go by myself.

I am paying for school with the military GI Bill which will not pay for all of a private school but schools can participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program for vets which can either help pay the rest of the cost or even fully cover the cost. Fordhams participation in the program is generous basically covering my cost 100% using the veteran benefits available to me..... Neither CLS or NYU would be covered even close to 100% and I am too old to go into more debt.

All this means my choices were Fordham, Rutgers N, Cardozo, St Johns and Pace..... Those choices would be the same next year.....

So, given those conditions, Fordham is my first choice period..... I was happy with Rutgers as a second choice as well...

rkh235

Postby rkh235 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 am

.. day two of waitlist movement? (i hope)

fingers crossed.

Dislaw

Postby Dislaw » Wed May 02, 2012 9:43 am

rkh235 wrote:.. day two of waitlist movement? (i hope)

fingers crossed.

+1

30-Something

Postby 30-Something » Wed May 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Dislaw wrote:
rkh235 wrote:.. day two of waitlist movement? (i hope)

fingers crossed.

+1

Yes, please! Good luck everyone... Optimism isn't a natural talent for me, but I've been trying extra hard! :)

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm

JCFindley wrote:
ned wrote:

JC

Several things.... My wife is born and raised in NYC and works for an airline in Newark. She was on board with this whole chasing my dream thing IF it was in NYC or Newark. Since I kind of like being married this time that ruled out the rest of the country unless I wanted to go by myself.

I am paying for school with the military GI Bill which will not pay for all of a private school but schools can participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program for vets which can either help pay the rest of the cost or even fully cover the cost. Fordhams participation in the program is generous basically covering my cost 100% using the veteran benefits available to me..... Neither CLS or NYU would be covered even close to 100% and I am too old to go into more debt.

All this means my choices were Fordham, Rutgers N, Cardozo, St Johns and Pace..... Those choices would be the same next year.....

So, given those conditions, Fordham is my first choice period..... I was happy with Rutgers as a second choice as well...

I was wondering the same thing as Ned. Very cool that things worked out for you to attend your first choice JC! Congrats, maybe I'll see you next year!

rkh235

Postby rkh235 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 pm

"Another rainy dreary day in NYC... one of the last batches of first decisions about to go out" - Kathryn Espiritu twitter

so no WL decisions today i guess?

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed May 02, 2012 2:01 pm

rkh235 wrote:"Another rainy dreary day in NYC... one of the last batches of first decisions about to go out" - Kathryn Espiritu twitter

so no WL decisions today i guess?

:( no love today

cocoabean250

Postby cocoabean250 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:31 pm

This is actually pure torture... :?

30-Something

Postby 30-Something » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 am

I have a good feeling about today, WLers!!

And for the record, Fordham is my absolute first choice, as well. I am a non-trad, rooted to NYC and I must work. Fordham makes the most sense to me. That aside, all of my campus visits and interactions with students and staff have always left me feeling warm and fuzzy toward the school.

Hope we're all classmates in the fall!

rkh235

Postby rkh235 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:14 pm

emailed one of the admissions assistants about how much movement the wait-list is going to see as I didn't hear anything in that "small batch" they let out earlier this week and this is what she said word for word..

"We are going to have MINIMAL movement in the Month of May.....so it will keep happening sporadically. Feel free to send anything you want attached!"

:(

SDPalmTree

Postby SDPalmTree » Thu May 03, 2012 3:21 pm

rkh235 wrote:emailed one of the admissions assistants about how much movement the wait-list is going to see as I didn't hear anything in that "small batch" they let out earlier this week and this is what she said word for word..

"We are going to have MINIMAL movement in the Month of May.....so it will keep happening sporadically. Feel free to send anything you want attached!"

They're likely waiting to see what sort of movement comes from the the higher ranking schools in May, and what their class looks like at the end of the month before drawing from the WL. Just a guess. That, and the 2nd deposit deadline is June 1...

30-Something

Postby 30-Something » Thu May 03, 2012 3:38 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:
rkh235 wrote:emailed one of the admissions assistants about how much movement the wait-list is going to see as I didn't hear anything in that "small batch" they let out earlier this week and this is what she said word for word..

They're likely waiting to see what sort of movement comes from the the higher ranking schools in May, and what their class looks like at the end of the month before drawing from the WL. Just a guess. That, and the 2nd deposit deadline is June 1...

Emotional. Rollercoaster.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu May 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Good luck to all of you still waiting....

tprr28

Postby tprr28 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Assuming no one heard back from the "smattering" of decisions that Espiritu tweeted about ??

rkh235

Postby rkh235 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Nope, no word over here. When will this "smattering", "batches", "rounds" include ME?!?!

:( fordham is seriously toying with my emotions at this point.

SDPalmTree

Postby SDPalmTree » Thu May 03, 2012 5:15 pm

rkh235 wrote::( fordham is seriously toying with my emotions at this point.

Now, now. The world doesn't revolve around The Waitlist. Take heart that you're on it at all. Find something more interesting to do in your last few months of freedom than worrying about something that you can't change anyway. I would suggest something artistic - good art comes from pain after all...

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu May 03, 2012 5:46 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:
rkh235 wrote::( fordham is seriously toying with my emotions at this point.

Now, now. The world doesn't revolve around The Waitlist. Take heart that you're on it at all. Find something more interesting to do in your last few months of freedom than worrying about something that you can't change anyway. I would suggest something artistic - good art comes from pain after all...

Plus it can help fund ls.... Sold 2k worth of art today.... Its been a good week all around....

Happy Endings

Postby Happy Endings » Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 pm

As tortuous as waiting may seem (as a fellow WLser)....what about waiting to stand and walk normally again. Such is the story of Eric LeGrand (former Rutgers football player) paralyzed from the neck down after making a tackle back in 2010....just adding some perspective. Interestingly enough, he was recently signed as an undrafted NFL player for Tampa Bay (by his former Rutgers coach...now Head coach for Tampa)...as a symbolic message that dreams can come true. You can't have valleys without some peaks :)

Hang in there and stay positive guys!!

Happy Endings

Postby Happy Endings » Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 am

Happy Endings wrote:As tortuous as waiting may seem (as a fellow WLser)....what about waiting to stand and walk normally again. Such is the story of Eric LeGrand (former Rutgers football player) paralyzed from the neck down after making a tackle back in 2010....just adding some perspective. Interestingly enough, he was recently signed as an undrafted NFL player for Tampa Bay (by his former Rutgers coach...now Head coach for Tampa)...as a symbolic message that dreams can come true. You can't have valleys without some peaks :)

"Michael Watson ‏ @MikeForLaw: #TGIF, Wonder if anyone will be taken off the #waitlist today... Stay tuned!"

For all of us waiting...be of good courage! I hope my TLS name (happy endings)... rings true for all those that truly want to be a Fordham Ram!

cocoabean250

Postby cocoabean250 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:42 am

Happy Endings wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:As tortuous as waiting may seem (as a fellow WLser)....what about waiting to stand and walk normally again. Such is the story of Eric LeGrand (former Rutgers football player) paralyzed from the neck down after making a tackle back in 2010....just adding some perspective. Interestingly enough, he was recently signed as an undrafted NFL player for Tampa Bay (by his former Rutgers coach...now Head coach for Tampa)...as a symbolic message that dreams can come true. You can't have valleys without some peaks :)

"Michael Watson ‏ @MikeForLaw: #TGIF, Wonder if anyone will be taken off the #waitlist today... Stay tuned!"

For all of us waiting...be of good courage! I hope my TLS name (happy endings)... rings true for all those that truly want to be a Fordham Ram!

Must they tease us?

But good luck to all the waitlisters! I'm feeling good about this month :D

rkh235

Postby rkh235 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:15 am

hahah these tweets are such teasers!! its funny- admissions staff as a whole def has a good sense of humor, but im pretty sure their hilarity would exponentially increase if they didnt have my fate in their hands

Lookingforanswers

Postby Lookingforanswers » Fri May 04, 2012 1:26 pm

I hope I hear something. This is month 5 on the waitlist, I've sent an LOCI, two additional LOR's and I email with the office on a regular. Lets hope today is the day for a lot of us!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”