Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
illy22
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby illy22 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:57 pm

FINALLY, I'M IN!!

submitted 12/18, complete 1/20, complete again on 2/16, in via e-mail (and status checker, but it was pretty much simultaneous) on 2/24.

def attending ASD on the third!

User avatar
la Rochejaquelein
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby la Rochejaquelein » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 pm

HeadToWall wrote:
la Rochejaquelein wrote:Admitted. I'd seen zero movement since the first time my app went complete. Crazy.

Congrats!
Did it say so on your status checker or did you just get snail mail?

Status checker and email.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm

B986 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I don't think they'd likely bump it up to 35 because they don't have a ton of money and they need many people with great numbers over a few people with really great numbers. 5k/yr is enough to sway some people to Fordham in and of itself. That being said, I highly recommend you try!


Possibly a dumb question... but why does Fordham not have a ton of money? It seems like many peer schools charge similar tuition and are much more generous with scholarship money. Not sure I would get any money at Fordham, but just curious about this.


Because unlike many "peer" schools at a similar level, Fordham still has a lot of need based scholarships.
Basically, most aid at Fordham is need-based and not merit-based.

Other schools have slowly gotten rid of need based because they'd rather buy themselves better statistics than help those who otherwise can't afford to go.
On top of that, a good chunk of fundraising over the past decade has been to pay for the new building

User avatar
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:30 pm

B986 wrote:
B986 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I don't think they'd likely bump it up to 35 because they don't have a ton of money and they need many people with great numbers over a few people with really great numbers. 5k/yr is enough to sway some people to Fordham in and of itself. That being said, I highly recommend you try!


Possibly a dumb question... but why does Fordham not have a ton of money? It seems like many peer schools charge similar tuition and are much more generous with scholarship money. Not sure I would get any money at Fordham, but just curious about this.


And I would assume their endowment is decent?


Their endowment is relatively pitiful, actually.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:36 pm

dingbat wrote:
B986 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I don't think they'd likely bump it up to 35 because they don't have a ton of money and they need many people with great numbers over a few people with really great numbers. 5k/yr is enough to sway some people to Fordham in and of itself. That being said, I highly recommend you try!


Possibly a dumb question... but why does Fordham not have a ton of money? It seems like many peer schools charge similar tuition and are much more generous with scholarship money. Not sure I would get any money at Fordham, but just curious about this.


Because unlike many "peer" schools at a similar level, Fordham still has a lot of need based scholarships.
Basically, most aid at Fordham is need-based and not merit-based.

Other schools have slowly gotten rid of need based because they'd rather buy themselves better statistics than help those who otherwise can't afford to go.
On top of that, a good chunk of fundraising over the past decade has been to pay for the new building


I would like to see evidence of this.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:12 pm

MrAnon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
B986 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I don't think they'd likely bump it up to 35 because they don't have a ton of money and they need many people with great numbers over a few people with really great numbers. 5k/yr is enough to sway some people to Fordham in and of itself. That being said, I highly recommend you try!


Possibly a dumb question... but why does Fordham not have a ton of money? It seems like many peer schools charge similar tuition and are much more generous with scholarship money. Not sure I would get any money at Fordham, but just curious about this.


Because unlike many "peer" schools at a similar level, Fordham still has a lot of need based scholarships.
Basically, most aid at Fordham is need-based and not merit-based.

Other schools have slowly gotten rid of need based because they'd rather buy themselves better statistics than help those who otherwise can't afford to go.
On top of that, a good chunk of fundraising over the past decade has been to pay for the new building


I would like to see evidence of this.



So I did some research and it looks like BC, W&M, Iowa, UNC all still provide need based aid. Emory appears to not offer any.

My understanding is that Fordham's part time program shrank following US news' announcement that it would begin considering part time student statistics in rankings. A purely altruistic move I am sure.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 pm

MrAnon wrote:My understanding is that Fordham's part time program shrank following US news' announcement that it would begin considering part time student statistics in rankings. A purely altruistic move I am sure.

LOL. MrAnon, it's comments like these that make me wonder if you really are/have been a Fordham student. The school was and continues to be extremely open about how the USNWR changes affected the Evening Program. Yeah, they sliced the class size by 50% and have been making a concerted effort to attract more working/second career students and raise the medians. How terrible of them. :lol:

Also... CONGRATS TO ALL OF THE NEW ADMITS!!!!!

vbc515
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby vbc515 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 pm

In today! Complete 11/29 so it's been kind of a wait! 3.6/166

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:26 am

nygrrrl wrote:
MrAnon wrote:My understanding is that Fordham's part time program shrank following US news' announcement that it would begin considering part time student statistics in rankings. A purely altruistic move I am sure.

LOL. MrAnon, it's comments like these that make me wonder if you really are/have been a Fordham student. The school was and continues to be extremely open about how the USNWR changes affected the Evening Program. Yeah, they sliced the class size by 50% and have been making a concerted effort to attract more working/second career students and raise the medians. How terrible of them. :lol:

Also... CONGRATS TO ALL OF THE NEW ADMITS!!!!!


Well which is it? Does it care about USNWR stats or not?

When someone tries to paint other schools as being some bottom feeders only concerned with USNWR stats as if Fordham is above that I think it deserves to be pointed out that it is just the same as any other school, that is all.

I think the part time program for real working people is a great and unique contribution. Would have been splendid if it had just been for working people from the start.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Gemini » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:49 am

Well which is it? Does it care about USNWR stats or not?


Do you always see things as black and white? You sound like you have a great future as a lawyer ahead of you.

Yes, all schools unfortunately are impacted by USNWR rankings, even Fordham, which is probably why the program was cut in half. But it was also a way to minimize the amount of people trying to backdoor their way into Fordham.

If Fordham wanted to, they could have gotten rid of the evening program completely. But they didn't.

So stop being a negative Nancy.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:32 am

MrAnon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
B986 wrote:
Possibly a dumb question... but why does Fordham not have a ton of money? It seems like many peer schools charge similar tuition and are much more generous with scholarship money. Not sure I would get any money at Fordham, but just curious about this.


Because unlike many "peer" schools at a similar level, Fordham still has a lot of need based scholarships.
Basically, most aid at Fordham is need-based and not merit-based.

Other schools have slowly gotten rid of need based because they'd rather buy themselves better statistics than help those who otherwise can't afford to go.
On top of that, a good chunk of fundraising over the past decade has been to pay for the new building


I would like to see evidence of this.


There are currently 1217 students enrolled full-time at Fordham; dividing by 3 approximates 400 per year (1L, 2L, 3L).
40%* receive schollys, meaning about 160 students
Fordham has 98 need-based scholarships that it gives out every year.
That would mean about 60% is merit-based
(Caveat: the actual ratio will be a little lower, as there is some overlap, where a student gets both need and merit aid)

*LSN lists that 36.1% receive scholarships. This aggregates FT and PT.
For the class of 2013, 41.4% of FT and 16.5% of PT received scholarships.

Note: to keep things simple, I've ignored the part-time program, as very few receive any scholarships and it mucks up the math (full time students are 1L, 2L, 3L, whereas part-time students may go on for 5 years or more)
A quick breakdown would be: 479 new students per year. 36.1% receive scholarships, so that means 173 students.
assuming 98 get need based and the remainder get merit based (no overlap), that's 56.65%

(I'm aware that the logic is not completely solid. However, it is close enough for me to say with confidence that over half of all aid given out by Fordham is need-based)

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Gotti » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:09 am

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:
Gotti wrote:
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:About to take a campus tour. Pretty excited as I've all but decided on Fordham :D

nice. i'm in the library lol. maybe i'll see your tour group.

Did you see my bright pink sweatshirt?

hahah no I didn't actually see any tour groups today. I was in a corner on a higher floor.


I sound like a nerd.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:08 am

dingbat wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
B986 wrote:
Possibly a dumb question... but why does Fordham not have a ton of money? It seems like many peer schools charge similar tuition and are much more generous with scholarship money. Not sure I would get any money at Fordham, but just curious about this.


Because unlike many "peer" schools at a similar level, Fordham still has a lot of need based scholarships.
Basically, most aid at Fordham is need-based and not merit-based.

Other schools have slowly gotten rid of need based because they'd rather buy themselves better statistics than help those who otherwise can't afford to go.
On top of that, a good chunk of fundraising over the past decade has been to pay for the new building


I would like to see evidence of this.


There are currently 1217 students enrolled full-time at Fordham; dividing by 3 approximates 400 per year (1L, 2L, 3L).
40%* receive schollys, meaning about 160 students
Fordham has 98 need-based scholarships that it gives out every year.
That would mean about 60% is merit-based
(Caveat: the actual ratio will be a little lower, as there is some overlap, where a student gets both need and merit aid)

*LSN lists that 36.1% receive scholarships. This aggregates FT and PT.
For the class of 2013, 41.4% of FT and 16.5% of PT received scholarships.

Note: to keep things simple, I've ignored the part-time program, as very few receive any scholarships and it mucks up the math (full time students are 1L, 2L, 3L, whereas part-time students may go on for 5 years or more)
A quick breakdown would be: 479 new students per year. 36.1% receive scholarships, so that means 173 students.
assuming 98 get need based and the remainder get merit based (no overlap), that's 56.65%

(I'm aware that the logic is not completely solid. However, it is close enough for me to say with confidence that over half of all aid given out by Fordham is need-based)


That's fine but I'm still unsure how this blows away the likes of its peer schools.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:20 am

Gemini wrote:
Well which is it? Does it care about USNWR stats or not?


Do you always see things as black and white? You sound like you have a great future as a lawyer ahead of you.

Yes, all schools unfortunately are impacted by USNWR rankings, even Fordham, which is probably why the program was cut in half. But it was also a way to minimize the amount of people trying to backdoor their way into Fordham.

If Fordham wanted to, they could have gotten rid of the evening program completely. But they didn't.

So stop being a negative Nancy.


*Emotional statement contradictory to fact is made without evidence to support it*
*MrAnon questions statement*
*MrAnon will make a bad lawyer*

I think you'll find, when you get out of school, that most successful litigation partners have a healthy dose of skepticism about almost anything placed in front of them. That's kind of the nature of the job - to examine, question, poke holes in statements and evidence that is lacking.

User avatar
Happy Endings
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Happy Endings » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 am

MrAnon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Because unlike many "peer" schools at a similar level, Fordham still has a lot of need based scholarships.
Basically, most aid at Fordham is need-based and not merit-based.

Other schools have slowly gotten rid of need based because they'd rather buy themselves better statistics than help those who otherwise can't afford to go.
On top of that, a good chunk of fundraising over the past decade has been to pay for the new building


I would like to see evidence of this.


There are currently 1217 students enrolled full-time at Fordham; dividing by 3 approximates 400 per year (1L, 2L, 3L).
40%* receive schollys, meaning about 160 students
Fordham has 98 need-based scholarships that it gives out every year.
That would mean about 60% is merit-based
(Caveat: the actual ratio will be a little lower, as there is some overlap, where a student gets both need and merit aid)

*LSN lists that 36.1% receive scholarships. This aggregates FT and PT.
For the class of 2013, 41.4% of FT and 16.5% of PT received scholarships.

Note: to keep things simple, I've ignored the part-time program, as very few receive any scholarships and it mucks up the math (full time students are 1L, 2L, 3L, whereas part-time students may go on for 5 years or more)
A quick breakdown would be: 479 new students per year. 36.1% receive scholarships, so that means 173 students.
assuming 98 get need based and the remainder get merit based (no overlap), that's 56.65%

(I'm aware that the logic is not completely solid. However, it is close enough for me to say with confidence that over half of all aid given out by Fordham is need-based)


That's fine but I'm still unsure how this BLOWS AWAY the likes of its peer schools.


This seems to be a straw man-like statement to make a point by exaggerating dingbat's previous statement. He does not state that Fordham blows away other peer schools but rather compared to many peer schools the distribution of aid appears to be more need based than merit based (id est-"most aid at Fordham appears to be need-based aid rather than merit based aid.".....a conclusion that is based on his above break-down). However, the question still remains about the evidence of the peer schools' distribution of aid.

User avatar
Diceman102
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Diceman102 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:25 am

Hey good ppl. Does anyone know the seat deposit dates or date? Thanks!

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Gemini » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:31 am

MrAnon wrote:
Gemini wrote:
Well which is it? Does it care about USNWR stats or not?


Do you always see things as black and white? You sound like you have a great future as a lawyer ahead of you.

Yes, all schools unfortunately are impacted by USNWR rankings, even Fordham, which is probably why the program was cut in half. But it was also a way to minimize the amount of people trying to backdoor their way into Fordham.

If Fordham wanted to, they could have gotten rid of the evening program completely. But they didn't.

So stop being a negative Nancy.


*Emotional statement contradictory to fact is made without evidence to support it*
*MrAnon questions statement*
*MrAnon will make a bad lawyer*

I think you'll find, when you get out of school, that most successful litigation partners have a healthy dose of skepticism about almost anything placed in front of them. That's kind of the nature of the job - to examine, question, poke holes in statements and evidence that is lacking.


I commented on the way you questioned the statement, which was written in a way that asked for either a Yes or No answer. I wasn't commenting on the skepticism, which is fine to have, but rather the type of answer you were looking for. Like I said, great lawyer.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Gemini wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Gemini wrote:
Well which is it? Does it care about USNWR stats or not?


Do you always see things as black and white? You sound like you have a great future as a lawyer ahead of you.

Yes, all schools unfortunately are impacted by USNWR rankings, even Fordham, which is probably why the program was cut in half. But it was also a way to minimize the amount of people trying to backdoor their way into Fordham.

If Fordham wanted to, they could have gotten rid of the evening program completely. But they didn't.

So stop being a negative Nancy.


*Emotional statement contradictory to fact is made without evidence to support it*
*MrAnon questions statement*
*MrAnon will make a bad lawyer*

I think you'll find, when you get out of school, that most successful litigation partners have a healthy dose of skepticism about almost anything placed in front of them. That's kind of the nature of the job - to examine, question, poke holes in statements and evidence that is lacking.


I commented on the way you questioned the statement, which was written in a way that asked for either a Yes or No answer. I wasn't commenting on the skepticism, which is fine to have, but rather the type of answer you were looking for. Like I said, great lawyer.


Well, to be fair, I couldn't get into CLS or NYU with my GPA/LSAT.

User avatar
lakers3peat
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby lakers3peat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:53 pm

flying to NYC in 1 week.


yeeeeeeee buddy :lol:

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Diceman102 wrote:Hey good ppl. Does anyone know the seat deposit dates or date? Thanks!


Log in to the admitted student website, then click on "first year students"
It'll tell you right away that your first seat deposit is due April 16th ($400) and the second seat deposit is due June 1st ($600)
Note that the money must be received by then, not postmarked by that date.

legallyblonde817
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby legallyblonde817 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Well, to be fair, I couldn't get into CLS or NYU with my GPA/LSAT.[/quote]

Worse yet when you don't know if they will take you... Wait list at Columbia... Prob not even worth it when you can get a lot of money and a better job in the top half at Fordham than bottom half at Columbia

User avatar
Diceman102
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Diceman102 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:20 pm

dingbat wrote:
Diceman102 wrote:Hey good ppl. Does anyone know the seat deposit dates or date? Thanks!


Log in to the admitted student website, then click on "first year students"
It'll tell you right away that your first seat deposit is due April 16th ($400) and the second seat deposit is due June 1st ($600)
Note that the money must be received by then, not postmarked by that date.



Thanks a lot.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:29 pm

MrAnon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Because unlike many "peer" schools at a similar level, Fordham still has a lot of need based scholarships.
Basically, most aid at Fordham is need-based and not merit-based.

Other schools have slowly gotten rid of need based because they'd rather buy themselves better statistics than help those who otherwise can't afford to go.
On top of that, a good chunk of fundraising over the past decade has been to pay for the new building


I would like to see evidence of this.


There are currently 1217 students enrolled full-time at Fordham; dividing by 3 approximates 400 per year (1L, 2L, 3L).
40%* receive schollys, meaning about 160 students
Fordham has 98 need-based scholarships that it gives out every year.
That would mean about 60% is merit-based
(Caveat: the actual ratio will be a little lower, as there is some overlap, where a student gets both need and merit aid)

*LSN lists that 36.1% receive scholarships. This aggregates FT and PT.
For the class of 2013, 41.4% of FT and 16.5% of PT received scholarships.

Note: to keep things simple, I've ignored the part-time program, as very few receive any scholarships and it mucks up the math (full time students are 1L, 2L, 3L, whereas part-time students may go on for 5 years or more)
A quick breakdown would be: 479 new students per year. 36.1% receive scholarships, so that means 173 students.
assuming 98 get need based and the remainder get merit based (no overlap), that's 56.65%

(I'm aware that the logic is not completely solid. However, it is close enough for me to say with confidence that over half of all aid given out by Fordham is need-based)


That's fine but I'm still unsure how this blows away the likes of its peer schools.


Emory (according to your statement) doesn't give need based aid.
William and Mary appears to give out more need than merit aid, but I'm unable to get solid figures.

I have looked at 3 more peer schools and was unable to determine what proportion of scholarships are need based and what proportions are merit based.

As such, I admit failure in this regard and cannot provide empirical evidence that Fordham gives out a higher proportion of need based aid in comparison to its peer schools.
I only have anecdotal/circumstantial evidence, which, I will admit, is insufficient.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Gotti » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:01 pm

MrAnon wrote:Well, to be fair, I couldn't get into CLS or NYU with my GPA/LSAT.

So you DON'T go to Fordham. Stop answering questions about the school--you don't know shit about it. If Fordham's not for you, stop trolling the threads to post negative shit all the time. It's getting really old.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:12 pm

Gotti wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Well, to be fair, I couldn't get into CLS or NYU with my GPA/LSAT.

So you DON'T go to Fordham. Stop answering questions about the school--you don't know shit about it. If Fordham's not for you, stop trolling the threads to post negative shit all the time. It's getting really old.


He never said he doesn't go to Fordham, just that he doesn't go to CLS or NYU.
Also, to be fair, he gives a good counterpoint to the overwhelming feeling of happy-happy/joy-joy GO FORDHAM atmosphere in this thread (which, I believe, tends to be the general atmosphere in the school)

I'm sure there are some people who go to Fordham and are miserable there, or end up jobless afterwards (7% in 2010), and Mr Anon speaks for them




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, nslaw123 and 13 guests