Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby mcdeeremitch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Officially been complete for a month with no updates...hoping for sme movement this week!!

User avatar
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:23 pm

30-Something wrote:
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:
30-Something wrote:I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find it... Sorry in advance for being annoying, but, when are the next ASDs?


I'm going to the next one on 3/3 because I missed the last one.



Thanks for letting me know. :)

Ain't no thing but a chicken wing.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JenDarby » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:41 pm

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:
unitedfrutopia wrote:Anyone know who the contact person would be for scholarship negotiations w/Fordham?


I spoke with Dean Brown in his office and he definitively told me that they do not negotiate :(

Fordham DOES negotiate. Although they dont have top much money to throw around, I know quite a few 1Ls who successfully managed it. I emailed Espiritu for everything (sorry Espiritu).

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby MrAnon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Why is it that "sense of community" is something worth arguing into the ground over? One poster claimed Fordham had a strong sense of community, I say it doesn't. If others want to opine, I think thats reasonable, but "Dont listen to Mr. Anon" like i'm some sort of fool is uncalled for. I know the situation just as well as you do, so buzz off, i'm entitled to express my opinion. There may be a whole bunch of people who are drawn to school in NYC because they don't want the typical school experience or typical school community. If you want to relax on the quad with your buddies, go to Vanderbilt. if you want a stranger to tell you your opinion about something as subjective as school community is not worth being heard, go to Fordham.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JenDarby » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:07 pm

^ I'm fairly certain that wasn't directed at me since I think we had a reasonably friendly exchange. I will say, unless you go to Fordham Law, you really can't judge the sense of community.

I was pretty bummed Fordham lacked a large campus and everything that goes along with that. However, within the first week I found it impossible not to be social and constantly engaged with my classmates (no matter how hard I tried). If anything my biggest complaint about Fordham is its too damn social and there's too much fun to be had. Well, aside from the complaint that not all the bathrooms have hooks in the stalls of course.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Gotti » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:37 pm

MrAnon wrote:Why is it that "sense of community" is something worth arguing into the ground over? One poster claimed Fordham had a strong sense of community, I say it doesn't. If others want to opine, I think thats reasonable, but "Dont listen to Mr. Anon" like i'm some sort of fool is uncalled for. I know the situation just as well as you do, so buzz off, i'm entitled to express my opinion. There may be a whole bunch of people who are drawn to school in NYC because they don't want the typical school experience or typical school community. If you want to relax on the quad with your buddies, go to Vanderbilt. if you want a stranger to tell you your opinion about something as subjective as school community is not worth being heard, go to Fordham.

Did you not make friends? Or secure a job? You seem to be quite bitter about your decision to go to Fordham (if you even go here).

Every single person I have talked to, no matter what year they are, has said Fordham has a very strong sense of community. You're entitled to state your opinion, but when everyone else's first hand opinion is the exact opposite of yours, your opinion doesn't (or shouldn't) hold much weight to the person who asked the question. I was just letting the question asker know that.

If you don't actually go to Fordham, I am really confused as to why you are on the Fordham boards consistently posting negatively every opportunity you get. I'm also confused as to why you are answering questions about the school that you aren't in a position to answer.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm getting kind of worried with what I'm hearing about Fordham's lack of merit aid. Sounds like a number of people with significant offers from similarly-ranked and even slightly higher-ranked schools are getting stonewalled in negotiations.

I have personal reasons to really want Fordham, but if I'm going to pay full price I might as well go to GULC and maximize my chances of being able to finance my education. I'm really hoping Fordham makes the decision a little easier for me...

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby john1990 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 pm

"your file has been been waitlisted" :(

thats their typo, not mine :lol:

166/3.32 i guess ill get working on that LOCI, fordham was at the top of my list

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 pm

john1990 wrote:"your file has been been waitlisted" :(

thats their typo, not mine :lol:

166/3.32 i guess ill get working on that LOCI, fordham was at the top of my list

Sorry to hear it, GL on getting off the WL.

I don't see a typo... are you referring to "waitlisted"? It seems that that's kind of a standard non-standard word in the context of college admissions. It's probably not in the dictionary, but everyone uses it.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JenDarby » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Been is there twice, easy to miss.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby john1990 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
john1990 wrote:"your file has been been waitlisted" :(

thats their typo, not mine :lol:

166/3.32 i guess ill get working on that LOCI, fordham was at the top of my list

Sorry to hear it, GL on getting off the WL.

I don't see a typo... are you referring to "waitlisted"? It seems that that's kind of a standard non-standard word in the context of college admissions. It's probably not in the dictionary, but everyone uses it.


the double use of the word "been"

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
john1990 wrote:"your file has been been waitlisted" :(

thats their typo, not mine :lol:

I don't see a typo


The word 'been' occurs twice in that sentence. Don't worry, I've read studies where they found that our minds are actually conditioned to remove redundant words (especially 'the' and 'and').

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby john1990 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm

JenDarby wrote:Been is there twice, easy to miss.


+1
hard to miss if its in your application status though lol

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:35 pm

JenDarby wrote:Been is there twice, easy to miss.

RC fail... facepalm....

User avatar
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:I'm getting kind of worried with what I'm hearing about Fordham's lack of merit aid. Sounds like a number of people with significant offers from similarly-ranked and even slightly higher-ranked schools are getting stonewalled in negotiations.

I have personal reasons to really want Fordham, but if I'm going to pay full price I might as well go to GULC and maximize my chances of being able to finance my education. I'm really hoping Fordham makes the decision a little easier for me...

Ah, don't say that! I think Fordham's worth the extra debt, if only because it's in NYC and has a great employment rate. Also, it has a great sense of community! (Sorry, had to.)

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JenDarby » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:37 pm

john1990 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Been is there twice, easy to miss.


+1
hard to miss if its in your application status though lol

Ha for sure. Good luck. If they are your number one, or one of them, than say that in your LOCI. They pull a lot from the WL around May, so don't lose hope!

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Gemini » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:37 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Been is there twice, easy to miss.

RC fail... facepalm....


Haha yea it took me a few seconds to see it. Most likely, the "your file has been" is automatic, and they fill in the rest.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:39 pm

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:I'm getting kind of worried with what I'm hearing about Fordham's lack of merit aid. Sounds like a number of people with significant offers from similarly-ranked and even slightly higher-ranked schools are getting stonewalled in negotiations.

I have personal reasons to really want Fordham, but if I'm going to pay full price I might as well go to GULC and maximize my chances of being able to finance my education. I'm really hoping Fordham makes the decision a little easier for me...

Ah, don't say that! I think Fordham's worth the extra debt, if only because it's in NYC and has a great employment rate. Also, it has a great sense of community! (Sorry, had to.)

:) I like this. I give it a 174.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JenDarby » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:Ah, don't say that! I think Fordham's worth the extra debt, if only because it's in NYC and has a great employment rate. Also, it has a great sense of community! (Sorry, had to.)

I am very debt adverse, but took on a little extra for Fordham compared to my other offers because NY made the most sense for my personal life and employment prospects were better than higher ranked schools (if you want to be in NY that is). If you look at the firms that interview at Fordham compared to some higher ranked schools theres a pretty marked difference. I'm not talking T-10 here or anything so let's not go THERE. I'm talking WUSTL on down.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:52 pm

JenDarby wrote:
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:Ah, don't say that! I think Fordham's worth the extra debt, if only because it's in NYC and has a great employment rate. Also, it has a great sense of community! (Sorry, had to.)

I am very debt adverse, but took on a little extra for Fordham compared to my other offers because NY made the most sense for my personal life and employment prospects were better than higher ranked schools (if you want to be in NY that is). If you look at the firms that interview at Fordham compared to some higher ranked schools theres a pretty marked difference. I'm not talking T-10 here or anything so let's not go THERE. I'm talking WUSTL on down.

I agree that, all things being equal between Fordham and WUSTL on down, Fordham wins hands down, and that Fordham beats out a number of even higher-ranked schools. I definitely get the merits of Fordham, and have been into Fordham for a number of years now, so I'm not downing Fordham here, but doesn't GULC have a pretty solid leg up on Fordham for NYC biglaw placement?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby JenDarby » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:55 pm

To be honest, I didn't apply to GULC. I had zero desire to be in DC and figured I'd end up paying sticker there, which I wasn't going to do. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on this!

User avatar
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:07 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:Ah, don't say that! I think Fordham's worth the extra debt, if only because it's in NYC and has a great employment rate. Also, it has a great sense of community! (Sorry, had to.)

I am very debt adverse, but took on a little extra for Fordham compared to my other offers because NY made the most sense for my personal life and employment prospects were better than higher ranked schools (if you want to be in NY that is). If you look at the firms that interview at Fordham compared to some higher ranked schools theres a pretty marked difference. I'm not talking T-10 here or anything so let's not go THERE. I'm talking WUSTL on down.

I agree that, all things being equal between Fordham and WUSTL on down, Fordham wins hands down, and that Fordham beats out a number of even higher-ranked schools. I definitely get the merits of Fordham, and have been into Fordham for a number of years now, so I'm not downing Fordham here, but doesn't GULC have a pretty solid leg up on Fordham for NYC biglaw placement?

I'd say contact GULC and get their stats on where people work after graduation. I'm sure a lot of them stay in D.C., but NY might be the second city with the highest after-grad employment rate. Is GULC giving you more money?

User avatar
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:I'm getting kind of worried with what I'm hearing about Fordham's lack of merit aid. Sounds like a number of people with significant offers from similarly-ranked and even slightly higher-ranked schools are getting stonewalled in negotiations.

I have personal reasons to really want Fordham, but if I'm going to pay full price I might as well go to GULC and maximize my chances of being able to finance my education. I'm really hoping Fordham makes the decision a little easier for me...

Ah, don't say that! I think Fordham's worth the extra debt, if only because it's in NYC and has a great employment rate. Also, it has a great sense of community! (Sorry, had to.)

:) I like this. I give it a 174.

Thank yah! But that score STILL wouldn't get me a full scholarship at Fordham.

User avatar
citygirl000
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby citygirl000 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:32 pm

...
Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 pm

citygirl000 wrote:Has anyone filled out the financial aid application? It seems that you have to send a ridiculous amount of stuff to them... i.e., bank account statements... seriously?! Is it even worth it?

Is this for need-based aid?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Christinabruin, cyclawps, dianersg, Gaaooo, jtawil, kvnrogers, lg77, XUMickeal and 20 guests