Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AMD

New

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Post by AMD » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:23 pm

I respectfully disagree.
Yes, Fordham grads in the top of their class do place well in NY. Historically Fordham is considered a solid local regional school.

Do you believe that Fordham places better in NY than these 11 in this economy?
Georgetown, Michigan, Cornell, NYU, Columbia, HYS, Chicago, Northwestern or Penn

If a Fordham grad was competing against one of the above grads with all things being equal,
I believe that employers might select a Fordham grad in the top 1/4-1/3 of their class. otherwise all bets are off. For example, U of Chicago has a lower amount of students seeking emplyment in NY, but those who do are quite successful candidates.
My info is anecdotal but based upon several published employment articles.

We both need data to back up our claims.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:47 pm

lakers3peat wrote:why would you ever go to fordham if you got into a t-14 :?
There are a variety of reasons, especially if you are not straight out of UG. Perhaps you don't have the freedom to pack up and head anywhere or have prior WE that you are relying on. For me, financially, cost of living is a lot easier in NY than just about anywhere since I live with my SO. He has an amazing job here, so if I went anywhere else we would have to maintain two residences. When you add in my scholarship, Fordham isn't going to cost me all that much and I am not biglaw or bust. Blanket statements like this leave out the fact that choosing a school is a life decision for a lot of people, which doesn't boil down to just heading to their highest ranked acceptance.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 pm

AMD wrote:I respectfully disagree.
Yes, Fordham grads in the top of their class do place well in NY. Historically Fordham is considered a solid local regional school.

Georgetown, Michigan, Cornell, NYU, Columbia, HYS, Chicago, Northwestern or Penn

If a Fordham grad was competing against one of the above grads with all things being equal,
I believe that employers might select a Fordham grad in the top 1/4-1/3 of their class. otherwise all bets are off. For example, U of Chicago has a lower amount of students seeking emplyment in NY, but those who do are quite successful candidates.
My info is anecdotal but based upon several published employment articles.

We both need data to back up our claims.
Ok - slight exageration. I give.

About 20-30% of Fordham places biglaw in NYC; 75-80% of fordham graduates work in law firms (of any size), the vast majority of which are in NYC.

Percentage wise, that's more than UVA, Berkeley, Michigan , and, just to show how ridiculous it is to go by percentage alone, only about 25% of Yale students place at biglaw.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:28 pm

JenDarby wrote:
lakers3peat wrote:why would you ever go to fordham if you got into a t-14 :?
There are a variety of reasons, especially if you are not straight out of UG. Perhaps you don't have the freedom to pack up and head anywhere or have prior WE that you are relying on. For me, financially, cost of living is a lot easier in NY than just about anywhere since I live with my SO. He has an amazing job here, so if I went anywhere else we would have to maintain two residences. When you add in my scholarship, Fordham isn't going to cost me all that much and I am not biglaw or bust. Blanket statements like this leave out the fact that choosing a school is a life decision for a lot of people, which doesn't boil down to just heading to their highest ranked acceptance.
That was exactly my reason for choosing fordham - kind of

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:30 pm

those are some excellent, and valid reasons :D

for me personally, im just scared of miserable new york weather ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:05 am

dingbat wrote:
ganggreen wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I presume everyone is aware of LSN, but just in case, it really does paint a very accurate picture of Fordham's scholarship offers:

http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... r=desc&p=1
Yeah 2010-2011 indicates that they're pretty stingy with scholarships. It's pretty black and white for me. If Fordham isn't willing to offer decent $$ based on my scholarship offers at peer schools and acceptance(s) at T-14s, they're out of the running.
Based on what you've got so far (and assuming nothing changes), you've got two decisions to make:
1) Do you really, really want to be in NYC?*
It's reputationally comparable to W&M and a step down from UVA.
You'll be paying an extra $6k/year in living expenses (at least) and if you qualify for in-state, an extra $6k/year for tuition compared to UVA, bringing the total additional cost to $36k - or $123k vs W&M.
2) If Virginia, do you think UVA is worth paying $87k more than going to W&M? That's serious cash.

Edit: I didn't notice your grant offer at W&L. Go there.
Unless you've got rich relatives willing to pick up the tab, that's an offer that's hard to beat

*this is a long-term decision. If you go to Fordham, you're more likely to start your career in NYC, whereas UVA/W&M I would expect you're more likely to stay in the south, or DC (disclaimer - I have no knowledge whatsoever of placement data for UVA/W&M so while this statement is logical, I don't know if it is true)

Note: I'd choose Fordham at sticker over UVA at sticker, but my reasons are particular to my personal situation
Actually UVA places very well in NYC, only a little less than DC (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/about/factsstats.htm). 87K is a lot of money but a degree from UVA vs. one from WM is def worth that differential, considering the sheer gap between the two schools in BigLaw/BigFed placement.

Happy Endings

New

Post by Happy Endings » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:06 am

Fordham is just an incredible program hands down and has to be...especially being able to hold its own respected solid reputation against CLS and NYU and even UVA above. I think the admissions staff have been down to earth and very thorough...not to mention pretty awesome (admissions dean @BKBoulders?!). I am currently waitlisted though (since 12/1)...so hopefully I will be blessed enough with an acceptance off the WL.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Heb. 11:1

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:53 am

Happy Endings wrote:Fordham is just an incredible program hands down and has to be...especially being able to hold its own respected solid reputation against CLS and NYU and even UVA above. I think the admissions staff have been down to earth and very thorough...not to mention pretty awesome (admissions dean @BKBoulders?!). I am currently waitlisted though (since 12/1)...so hopefully I will be blessed enough with an acceptance off the WL.
I really hope you get in

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:01 am

dingbat wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:Fordham is just an incredible program hands down and has to be...especially being able to hold its own respected solid reputation against CLS and NYU and even UVA above. I think the admissions staff have been down to earth and very thorough...not to mention pretty awesome (admissions dean @BKBoulders?!). I am currently waitlisted though (since 12/1)...so hopefully I will be blessed enough with an acceptance off the WL.
I really hope you get in

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:24 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I really hope you get in

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Gemini wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I really hope you get in

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:38 pm

^i'd quote that for more emphasis but i can't embed more than 4 quotes within each other lol. BUT SAME HERE!

Anyway congrats to all you recent admits!

Happy Endings

New

Post by Happy Endings » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Thank you DB and the rest of you guys! Seriously, nygrrrl and gemini thank you for taking the time and providing input and advise on this thread, especially as current 1Ls!! I'm loving the positivity....let's keep it going!! This thread and everyone in it ROCKS! 8)

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Heb 11:1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law chihuahua

New

Post by law chihuahua » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Hey guys. For anyone who filled out the financial aid application, is it done and sent when you click "submit by e-mail" at the end? Do you get a separate notification at all? I'm worried that it didn't go through. :( Thanks.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:45 pm

law chihuahua wrote:Hey guys. For anyone who filled out the financial aid application, is it done and sent when you click "submit by e-mail" at the end? Do you get a separate notification at all? I'm worried that it didn't go through. :( Thanks.
From what I remember, when I was applying, that form didn't work at all...I just downloaded it and mailed it in. Someone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Gotti wrote:
law chihuahua wrote:Hey guys. For anyone who filled out the financial aid application, is it done and sent when you click "submit by e-mail" at the end? Do you get a separate notification at all? I'm worried that it didn't go through. :( Thanks.
From what I remember, when I was applying, that form didn't work at all...I just downloaded it and mailed it in. Someone else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I didn't mail mine in, that's all I remember.

My apologies that this is entirely unhelpful. Ks reading has left me willing to accept any and all breaks.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:34 am

Maybe

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I don't really see the strength in making a point that Fordham might not place better than other schools in NY that are higher ranked.
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 pm

IMO, I think Cornell DOES have Fordham beat. It places 85% of grads in law firms, and 60% are in NYC. According to NJL and LST, Cornell places second only to Chicago for biglaw. So, if you want NYC biglaw... I think Cornell would be a better choice. Unless of course Columbia is an option

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 pm

msblaw89 wrote:IMO, I think Cornell DOES have Fordham beat. It places 85% of grads in law firms, and 60% are in NYC. According to NJL and LST, Cornell places second only to Chicago for biglaw. So, if you want NYC biglaw... I think Cornell would be a better choice. Unless of course Columbia is an option
See the post directly above yours.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:16 pm

JenDarby wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:IMO, I think Cornell DOES have Fordham beat. It places 85% of grads in law firms, and 60% are in NYC. According to NJL and LST, Cornell places second only to Chicago for biglaw. So, if you want NYC biglaw... I think Cornell would be a better choice. Unless of course Columbia is an option
See the post directly above yours.
The point is that some top 14 schools DO place better than Fordham in NYC. And if given the opportunity to attend a top 14, you should take it, unless ( like you) have reasons not to leave NYC

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 pm

msblaw89 wrote:The point is that some top 14 schools DO place better than Fordham in NYC. And if given the opportunity to attend a top 14, you should take it, unless ( like you) have reasons not to leave NYC
JenDarby wrote:I don't really see the strength in making a point that Fordham might not place better than other schools in NY that are higher ranked.
the initial point someone was making was about UVA. There is a difference in arguing NYU/Columbia/Cornell for NY vs Fordam for NY, than arguing schools NOT in NY.
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:19 pm

JenDarby wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:The point is that some top 14 schools DO place better than Fordham in NYC. And if given the opportunity to attend a top 14, you should take it, unless ( like you) have reasons not to leave NYC
JenDarby wrote:I don't really see the strength in making a point that Fordham might not place better than other schools in NY that are higher ranked.
Better employment prospects, better networking, higher salary, getting in with a more prestigious law firm...

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:20 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Better employment prospects, better networking, higher salary, getting in with a more prestigious law firm...
You don't get it.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:20 pm

JenDarby wrote:
1. Might not place better in NY than other higher ranked schools, or might not place better in NY than other higher ranked NY schools?
2. Common sense points get made around here all the time.

Edit: ah, I see:
JenDarby wrote: the initial point someone was making was about UVA. There is a difference in arguing NYU/Columbia/Cornell for NY vs Fordam for NY, than arguing schools NOT in NY.
Meh, not really. I'd take UVA over Fordham for NY. Chicago and Penn too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”