Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam

Bronze

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Post by SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Gemini wrote:
SmbdyBringMeSomeHam wrote:
Gemini wrote::oops:

Oops.
S'alright, not offended. Btw, are you at FCLC per chance?
Whats FCLC?
Well, that answers that question :)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Gemini wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I doubt it, school has never managed to kick me in the ass. Besides, the reason I want to start early is so I don't go crazy. I fully believe I will enjoy my time in law school.
I just figured, I've got a lot of down time now and I'd like to put it to good use.

I do appreciate the fact that I won't understand what some things mean, but, hey, I've got to learn some time.
However, I have taken two graduate level law classes alreadyand work very closely with both in-house and outside counsel, including drafting documents and reviewing regulations, so I already know some stuff.

Besides, I don't only want the notes to start early (I doubt I'll get that much reading done over the next few months), but also as extra material / backup for when classes start in earnest
You're assuming law school is like everything else. Most people in your class will be used to A's and maintaining a very high GPA. So school never "managing to kick you in the ass" is likely irrelevant for the purposes of a curved grading system like law schools have.

And although your experiences sound awesome, drafting documents and reviewing regulations doesn't help. Most people coming into law school have some sort of legal experience. There's usually a reason they want to go to law school, right?

I don't want to sound discouraging, but this is what it is.

Please, I beg you, enjoy your summer.
Hey, I'm always happy to find out I'm wrong about something (seriously - I'd rather understand things properly) and I don't get discouraged.

Also, as stupid as this sounds, I don't care about the curve, or being better than anyone else. What I meant with "schools not kicking my ass" is that I never cared about grades.
My attitude is that I do my best and where I end up is where I end up.
(put differently, if I got a B, it's because I'm not good enough to get an A. It is not for lack of trying, but lack of ability to do better, therefore I'm content with a B. I'm really zen that way)

As for enjoying my summer, I work for a living, so it's not like I get to spend my summer months lazing about in the park.
At work we're in the process of launching a new subsidiary and accompanying product. My time at work will be anything but fun. However, outside of work, I'm in a bit of a lull with my free time, so I figured I might as well put it to good use vis-a-vis my future endeavors

Anyway, can't blame a person for asking (if you don't ask, the answer's always no)

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Dingbat if you have too much free time go learn a new language or something.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Pleasye wrote:Dingbat if you have too much free time go learn a new language or something.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

no but seriously....i came out of (a top-40) UG with a 3.95. i've never worked so hard for a B before in my life.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 am

Pleasye wrote:Dingbat if you have too much free time go learn a new language or something.
I tried. Unfortunately, I just don't seem able to learn new languages, so I'm still stuck at 2 1/2.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 am

Gotti wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

no but seriously....i came out of (a top-40) UG with a 3.95. i've never worked so hard for a B before in my life.
You should try investment banking ;)

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:45 am

dingbat wrote:However, outside of work, I'm in a bit of a lull with my free time, so I figured I might as well put it to good use)

go jerk off

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:49 am

lakers3peat wrote:
dingbat wrote:However, outside of work, I'm in a bit of a lull with my free time, so I figured I might as well put it to good use)

go jerk off
My response to this is censored

Happy Endings

New

Post by Happy Endings » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:55 am

Oh how I have missed you all!! Dingbat, if I have the wonderful blessing of getting accepted and joining you guys...I have two words: Study Group. We have to form one :wink: (PS. I speak 3 languages (Remedial on a fourth)...I can help you with that) :P

Gemini, Jen...how are some of Fordham's finest doing?! I hope I can one day meet you guys...maybe for ASD if I'm lucky.

BTW...30 Something, I am waiting for a recap of today's tour!:) WLers Unite!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 am

Happy Endings wrote:Oh how I have missed you all!! Dingbat, if I have the wonderful blessing of getting accepted and joining you guys...I have two words: Study Group. We have to form one :wink: (PS. I speak 3 languages (Remedial on a fourth)...I can help you with that) :P

Gemini, Jen...how are some of Fordham's finest doing?! I hope I can one day meet you guys...maybe for ASD if I'm lucky.

Which three?

I just don't learn languages. I even managed to live in spain for a while, trying to learn the language, and failed miserably.
Funny, though, because I'm the only one in my family who doesn't speak at least 4 languages, and my cousin knows about 13 (I lose track at this point), including several dead ones

Happy Endings

New

Post by Happy Endings » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:33 am

French, English and actually an East African language that originated from a dead language. :wink:

30-Something

Bronze

Post by 30-Something » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 am

Happy Endings wrote:Oh how I have missed you all!! Dingbat, if I have the wonderful blessing of getting accepted and joining you guys...I have two words: Study Group. We have to form one :wink: (PS. I speak 3 languages (Remedial on a fourth)...I can help you with that) :P

Hey HE! I came, I saw, I bought a hoodie. :lol:

It was great, really... I can definitely picture myself there in the fall. The students seem pretty well-adjusted and engaged in their classes. I love the secret garden quality of the garden level. And I have to say, I think Fordham has the friendliest admissions staff of most of the schools I have encountered.

I was at Cardozo recently, and I was pretty shocked to hear a few of the students talking smack about Fordham. They basically described it as a grim, depressing place. Obvs, that's not at all how I felt about the school.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:50 am

dingbat wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:Fordham is just an incredible program hands down
I really hope you get in
Last edited by dingbat on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:51 am

30-Something wrote:

Hey HE! I came, I saw, I bought a hoodie. :lol:

It was great, really... I can definitely picture myself there in the fall. The students seem pretty well-adjusted and engaged in their classes. I love the secret garden quality of the garden level. And I have to say, I think Fordham has the friendliest admissions staff of most of the schools I have encountered.

I was at Cardozo recently, and I was pretty shocked to hear a few of the students talking smack about Fordham. They basically described it as a grim, depressing place. Obvs, that's not at all how I felt about the school.
I can't imagine Clown College talking smack on anyone (except maybe Touro, or NYLS, but those aren't even real schools)

Happy Endings

New

Post by Happy Endings » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 am

30-Something wrote:It was great, really... I can definitely picture myself there in the fall. The students seem pretty well-adjusted and engaged in their classes. I love the secret garden quality of the garden level. And I have to say, I think Fordham has the friendliest admissions staff of most of the schools I have encountered.
30 Something- I am glad your day/tour went well...sounds incredible!!
dingbat wrote:
dingbat wrote:I really hope you get in
Thanks Dingbat :)

Guys, I think my love for Fordham and the desire to be enrolled is starting to be a problem (embarrassingly enough). With decisions looming today....I can fully appreciate and empathize with the following video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V2NyPVzeBI
Last edited by Happy Endings on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

shroeder

Bronze

Post by shroeder » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 am

Happy Endings wrote:
30-Something wrote:It was great, really... I can definitely picture myself there in the fall. The students seem pretty well-adjusted and engaged in their classes. I love the secret garden quality of the garden level. And I have to say, I think Fordham has the friendliest admissions staff of most of the schools I have encountered.
30 Something- I am glad your day/tour went well...sounds incredible!!
dingbat wrote:
dingbat wrote:I really hope you get in
Thanks Dingbat :)

Guys, I think my love for Fordham and the desire to be enrolled is starting to be a problem (embarrassingly enough). With decisions looming today....I can fully appreciate and empathize with the following video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st2jamNWcJM

At first I was like "eh?" ... But the ending is great and totally classic! Nice

gilkile

New

Post by gilkile » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 am

WL'ed yesterday, kinda surprised .... but don't really care because I never considered going there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Happy Endings

New

Post by Happy Endings » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 am

Classic scene/ending right?? My Fordham love is overwhelming...to say the least :P

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am

gilkile wrote:WL'ed yesterday, kinda surprised .... but don't really care because I never considered going there.
Well then I guess it's a win win. I don't know why someone who "never considered" Fordham would spend $70 on the app. Thanks for the money though.

gilkile

New

Post by gilkile » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:30 am

JenDarby wrote:
gilkile wrote:WL'ed yesterday, kinda surprised .... but don't really care because I never considered going there.
Well then I guess it's a win win. I don't know why someone who "never considered" Fordham would spend $70 on the app. Thanks for the money though.
I applied to a couple of peer schools for negotiating purposes.... It was one of the few apps I paid for so.... it didn't hurt.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 am

gilkile wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
I applied to a couple of peer schools for negotiating purposes.... It was one of the few apps I paid for so.... it didn't hurt.
Fordham doesn't give much scholarship money, and they tend to lean towards higher LSATs over GPAs for scholarship purposes. They're not the best negotiating tool school. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

FWIW, Fordham was not very high on my list initially, but then the stars aligned and here I am (or something like that).
Last edited by JenDarby on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gilkile

New

Post by gilkile » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 am

JenDarby wrote:
gilkile wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Fordham doesn't give much scholarship money, and they tend to lean towards higher LSATs over GPAs for scholarship purposes. They're not the best negotiating tool school. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!
TY, I knew that, I'm just not the type of person that frets over an App fee....

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 am

gilkile wrote: TY, I knew that, I'm just not the type of person that frets over an App fee....
hardcore man...

nyca

New

Post by nyca » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:44 am

Would a full scholarship at Cardozo help negotiating with Fordham who gave me 20k?

SmbdyBringMeSomeHam

Bronze

Post by SmbdyBringMeSomeHam » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 am

nyca wrote:Would a full scholarship at Cardozo help negotiating with Fordham who gave me 20k?
Not really. Many people who get into Fordham get good scholarships from Cardozo, so it's nothing new, but if you get a good amount from a peer school, they'll take that into account.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”