Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JenDarby

Diamond

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Post by JenDarby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 pm

dingbat wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote: Then schools like WUSTL, who just throw money around like madmen throw the system out of whack, but that's what works for them to knock people off the coast.
I suspect that it costs WUSTL a lot less to operate their school than some of their "peer" schools in big cities, charge a similar amount at sticker, because that's where the market is at, then "discount" wildly to entice people to buy.

It's like marketing 101 - most people, given a choice between two similar products, prefer the one that was priced at $100 but is 25% off, over the one that is priced at $75 but has no discount.
This is where things like the fact that "nationally, Washington U. ranks 17th overall, with an endowment worth $4.47 billion as of June 30, 2010" do matter.

WUSTL upped my scholarship by 15k when they saw I deposited at Fordham - I didn't even have to ask. That being said, I would have enjoyed WUSTL and is was probably a better financial decision. I came to Fordham for personal reasons.

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm

wustl upped me to 37 a year

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:20 pm

dingbat wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote: Then schools like WUSTL, who just throw money around like madmen throw the system out of whack, but that's what works for them to knock people off the coast.
I suspect that it costs WUSTL a lot less to operate their school than some of their "peer" schools in big cities, charge a similar amount at sticker, because that's where the market is at, then "discount" wildly to entice people to buy.

It's like marketing 101 - most people, given a choice between two similar products, prefer the one that was priced at $100 but is 25% off, over the one that is priced at $75 but has no discount.
Yeah, but Fordham has a few blocks in the Bronx and a building or two in Manhattan, while WUSTL has a fucking sprawling campus that looks nice, has nice ameneties, and all that. After visiting both, my high school was nicer than Fordham by far (minus the library), and WUSTL was actually stunning, which I'm guessing takes $$$$$ to keep up that sort of niceness.

baconcausescancer

New

Post by baconcausescancer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Accepted off the waitlist today.

3.5/165, degree in Literature, no amazing softs. Had a solid personal statement and sent in an LOCI. SEND IN AN LOCI IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET IN. The Admissions people highly encouraged it.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Last edited by dingbat on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Are you talking about just land fees? Because I have to imagine the crew to keep the grounds up, work various other parts (sport fields, all the roads) will counter the additional security that Fordham needs.

Either way, all I'm saying yeah Fordham's fees going to be expensive being in NY, but not like Wash U just on a tiny tract of land in a dump. That's probably one of the most expensive areas outside of the downtown area.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:54 pm

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Well obviously WUSTL, but not like Fordham is downtown.

And sure, Fordham per square foot is much higher than WUSTL, but Wash U is 2,300 acres, while Fordham is 85 acres in the Bronx and 8 in Manhattan (which is probably just those two buildings). I mean Wash U is 20 times the size with nearly the same number of students.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Going to have to edit my info. Almost 2,000 acres are from a wilderness research facility.

So the urban campuses are about 350 for Wash U, and about 95 for Fordham, still about 3.5x bigger

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 pm

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:09 am

Are you flipping serious? This convo already straight retarded. You dare start bringing up sq footage of buildings and I'm going to make sure you get all your school offers recinded on principle alone.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 am

^ :lol:
Did you have fun chasing me down the rabbit hole?

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:21 am

dingbat wrote:^ :lol:
Lmao. I'm sick and battling a case of insomnia cuz I can never sleep when I'm sick, so hope you enjoyed taking advantage of me in my fragile state. But touché, I thought we were going to go down to the annex in order to get blueprints to properly survey the buildings

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:22 am

And you delete all your posts in order to make me look like the stupid one

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:24 am

dietcoke0 wrote:
Lmao. I'm sick and battling a case of insomnia cuz I can never sleep when I'm sick, so hope you enjoyed taking advantage of me in my fragile state. But touché, I thought we were going to go down to the annex in order to get blueprints to properly survey the buildings
Truth of the matter is, everything I said was completely accurate. It's just completely irrelevant
But then, so was the whole conversation

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

expatHK

New

Post by expatHK » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:31 am

baconcausescancer wrote:Accepted off the waitlist today.

3.5/165, degree in Literature, no amazing softs. Had a solid personal statement and sent in an LOCI. SEND IN AN LOCI IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GET IN. The Admissions people highly encouraged it.
How did you find out - call, email, status checker?

baconcausescancer

New

Post by baconcausescancer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:07 am

expatHK wrote:

How did you find out - call, email, status checker?
Found out via e-mail. I'm not a special enough snowflake for them to call :cry:

Just kidding, I dgaf, got into Fordham, see y'all there in the fall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:05 am

dingbat wrote:.
ROFLMFAO!!!!!

They got ya all wound up again, didn't they?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:05 am

CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:18 am

dietcoke0 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Yeah, but Fordham has a few blocks in the Bronx and a building or two in Manhattan, while WUSTL has a fucking sprawling campus that looks nice, has nice ameneties, and all that. After visiting both, my high school was nicer than Fordham by far (minus the library), and WUSTL was actually stunning, which I'm guessing takes $$$$$ to keep up that sort of niceness.
Cussing does have its place in modern society..... For instance, when you are leading a bunch of US Marines taking a beach knowing that you will loose half your men.

On the other hand, when people cuss while supposedly engaged in an intelligent debate it just does a couple things. 1.) You lose any credibility you had as an educated and well rounded adult. 2.) It generally means you really have no argument left in you and the other person has gotten to you..... As soon as someone starts cussing you KNOW you have them right where you want them; it's a lot like when a scared dog bears its teeth and barks..... Next thing that happens is they start attacking grammar because they have no game left in them at all......

Aside from that, it is just plain uncouth in mixed company....

Now, back to our regularly scheduled congratulations for those coming off the waitlist today.....

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:21 am

dingbat wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:
Truth of the matter is, everything I said was completely accurate. It's just completely irrelevant
But then, so was the whole conversation

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.
Quick q - why do you hang out on here just to poke and prod and annoy the ever-loving crap out of people??

Edit: sorry for waking up on the wrong side of the bed today. I just think it's obnoxious to post annoying things just to get a rise out of people and then delete them all after the fact.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baconcausescancer

New

Post by baconcausescancer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:51 am

JCFindley wrote:

CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Thanks JC :D Looking forward to meeting everyone from TLS there, haha. Wasn't accepted in time for ASD, obviously, so this forum is my first impression of our incoming class.

... and dingbat, you're doing wonders for that impression :wink:

FakeHubieBrown

New

Post by FakeHubieBrown » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:05 am

JCFindley wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Cussing does have its place in modern society..... For instance, when you are leading a bunch of US Marines taking a beach knowing that you will loose half your men.

On the other hand, when people cuss while supposedly engaged in an intelligent debate it just does a couple things. 1.) You lose any credibility you had as an educated and well rounded adult. 2.) It generally means you really have no argument left in you and the other person has gotten to you..... As soon as someone starts cussing you KNOW you have them right where you want them; it's a lot like when a scared dog bears its teeth and barks..... Next thing that happens is they start attacking grammar because they have no game left in them at all......

Aside from that, it is just plain uncouth in mixed company....

Now, back to our regularly scheduled congratulations for those coming off the waitlist today.....
Haven't read through the conversation, so can't take any sides here, but generally speaking, criticizing someone for cursing (particularly in an informal setting) is probably even worse than taking issue with someone's grammar when it comes to attacking an argument.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:41 am

FakeHubieBrown wrote:
Haven't read through the conversation, so can't take any sides here, but generally speaking, criticizing someone for cursing (particularly in an informal setting) is probably even worse than taking issue with someone's grammar when it comes to attacking an argument.
I wasn't really taking sides mind you just stating an opinion. I still stand behind that opinion though. I don't think cussing has any place on a law school forum, especially on topic. Frankly, it's offensive and uncouth to me.

Would you cuss in a legal document? Would you cuss in a courtroom? Would you cuss on your PS? Would you use the F bomb in front of your professor in class? Would you cuss on this forum if you thought the Admissions Committee read this AND knew who you were?

If the answer to all of the above is no then why would you resort to it on a law school forum? Is it because you think the screen name gives you some anonymity? Even if it does, why would you do something that you would not otherwise do or does the anonymity allow one's true self to come out?

I also stand by the assertion that if someone resorts to cussing they either have or are about to lose their temper. In the ring if I can make you lose your temper and you start reacting based on emotion instead of training and reasoned thought I am going to own you from that point on....... Same thing would apply in a courtroom or virtually anywhere else you should be using logic and reasoning and not pure emotion.

Just my take on it of course and YMMV so post however you like.......

JC

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:48 am

JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:.
ROFLMFAO!!!!!

They got ya all wound up again, didn't they?
No, actually. We got into a discussion about how WUSTL gives out more schollys than Fordham. I then obtained publicly available financial statements for both schools and started comparing them.
After a while I realized that the discussion was entirely pointless, so I deleted the (rather long) posts.
The big issue is that financial statements are only available for the university as a whole and not for the individual schools, and considering well over half of WUSTL's finances are related to the medical school, it made the conversation that ensued rather pointless.
B986 wrote: Quick q - why do you hang out on here just to poke and prod and annoy the ever-loving crap out of people??

Edit: sorry for waking up on the wrong side of the bed today. I just think it's obnoxious to post annoying things just to get a rise out of people and then delete them all after the fact.
I actually didn't post just to get a rise. We started a conversation that had merits, but it went veered in the wrong direction.
We both went down the rabbit hole together.

To give you a quick summary, the poster commented about how WUSTL gives out a lot more schollys.
I decided to look up financial statements for WUSTL and for Fordham
I made statements of fact based on these financials, but qualified them by saying there were limitations to what I could analyze
This led to some more Q&A related thereto.
I am a very analytical person (and had recently been deeply involved in a corporate audit) so I kept following the analysis down the path the questions were taking me (based on the answers provided)
After asking a further question, dietcoke0's retort made me realize we were going in the wrong direction; I realized that the many inches of analysis I wrote were a waste of time and space soi deleted them

Edit: I rarely do things just to get a rise out of someone, although I have once lost my temper in this forum. Mostly I just want to see who got in. I do get annoyed when people come into this forum just to rail against the school for perceived injustices (e.g. "XYZ gave me a bigger scholly so Fordham sucks", "law schools is too expensive")

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”