Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cocoabean250

New

Re: Fordham c/o 2015/16 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Post by cocoabean250 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Kathryn Espiritu ‏@KathrynForLaw

"Last batch of Admits for this week just went out..."

The TORTURE.

baconcausescancer

New

Post by baconcausescancer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm

ned wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Jimbola wrote:
baconcausescancer wrote:So in an earlier e-mail to all the waitlist candidates, they totally said that they wouldn't be able to "offer any merit scholarships to students admitted off the waitlist."

I got an e-mail today saying I got merit moniez.

Happy mistake? Has this happened to anyone else? COME LET US CELEBRATE :D
Oh man, I told them I wasn't interested any longer. I hope your numbers are a lot better than mine otherwise I'm gonna be mad at myself.
If his/her profile is accurate - 165/3.5/non URM.

Maybe that was Fordham's sly way of weeding out the people who really wanted Fordham. :lol:
Also, geography matters. Anyone from outside the northeast can help cement Fordham as a national rather than regional force. The lucky recipient is from CA.
HEY IT WASN'T LUCK OKAY, IT WAS PURELY MY BRAINS AND MY SPECIALNESS.

Jk, I have no idea why I got merit scholly monies but not complaining :wink:

expatHK

New

Post by expatHK » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm

WL's, any word?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 pm

baconcausescancer wrote:
ned wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Maybe that was Fordham's sly way of weeding out the people who really wanted Fordham. :lol:
Also, geography matters. Anyone from outside the northeast can help cement Fordham as a national rather than regional force. The lucky recipient is from CA.

Jk, I have no idea why I got merit scholly monies but not complaining :wink:[/quote]

Regardless of why, CONGRATS!!!! I think it was Jen's idea.... The letter was to see how much you REALLY wanted Fordham...

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Bacon, my section alone has no fewer than 6 people from San Diego. There are quite a few of us from UCSD, you'll be in good company. Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:13 pm

JenDarby wrote:Bacon, my section alone has no fewer than 6 people from San Diego. There are quite a few of us from UCSD, you'll be in good company. Congrats!
Also a SD native who went to UCSD...

Good times. Much better than Oregon or LA.

Jimbola

Bronze

Post by Jimbola » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:14 pm

JCFindley wrote:
baconcausescancer wrote:
ned wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Jk, I have no idea why I got merit scholly monies but not complaining :wink:
Regardless of why, CONGRATS!!!! I think it was Jen's idea.... The letter was to see how much you REALLY wanted Fordham...[/quote]

Oh yeah I wasn't even close. Just wondering if anything super crazy was going on. Well congratulations! Best of luck!

baconcausescancer

New

Post by baconcausescancer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:24 am

JenDarby wrote:Bacon, my section alone has no fewer than 6 people from San Diego. There are quite a few of us from UCSD, you'll be in good company. Congrats!
Yes. The only point of this handle was to get someone to call me Bacon. I'm not even a law student and I've made up all the stuff about GPA and LSAT scores (whatever that means, but I've been observing this thread for months and I have a decent command on your language).

A joke! Get it? A... joke...? :lol:

StevenGerrard999

New

Post by StevenGerrard999 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:19 am

Why would anyone want to go to fordham...its a joke

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:58 am

StevenGerrard999 wrote:Why would anyone want to go to fordham...its a joke
Thanks for your insightful analysis.

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:33 pm

DTDT wrote:

I agree and disagree with his/her statement "Why would anyone want to go to Fordham... it's a joke." I agree with the "Why would anyone want to go to Fordham" segment, but disagree with the "It's a joke" segment. Fordham is a quality law school. It is certainly not a joke. However, Fordham is offering very little money in an economy where only about 1/3 of law grads are getting jobs that require a JD. To attend Fordham, and likely graduate with minimum 100k of debt (more likely 200k) in this economic climate, seems insane.

Links:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162- ... en-ticket/

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... mment-form

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:56 pm

ajax wrote:
DTDT wrote:

I agree and disagree with his/her statement "Why would anyone want to go to Fordham... it's a joke." I agree with the "Why would anyone want to go to Fordham" segment, but disagree with the "It's a joke" segment. Fordham is a quality law school. It is certainly not a joke. However, Fordham is offering very little money in an economy where only about 1/3 of law grads are getting jobs that require a JD. To attend Fordham, and likely graduate with minimum 100k of debt (more likely 200k) in this economic climate, seems insane.

Links:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162- ... en-ticket/

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... mment-form
Be careful here. Yes, there are more law school graduates than new law jobs.
However, you cannot make a blanket statement like "only 1/3" get jobs" and apply it to every school. More than 2/3 of Fordham's 2011 grads got JD required jobs (can someone look up the exact number for me?), not 1/3, as your post implies.
No, there are no guarantees, but that goes for every school and every field - more so for some and less so for others

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Fordham is no more of a joke than most law schools. If you don't have any financial plan, law school in general might be a poor decision. This goes for nearly all life decisions. If you're really that worried about being screwed by law school debt, I'd avoid most schools. If you're just complaining that Fordham didn't give you money or maybe even accept you, well, it doesn't sound like you deserve any Steven.

I'm by no means at the very top of my class, yet I have a paid internship this summer. Many people I know with better grades at comparable or better schools do not. People I know at "worse" schools with lower grades do. There are a lot of factors that play into career success. I knew nothing about Fordham before coming here for LS. After my first year, I can tell you that firms in NY definitely do not think Fordham is a joke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:17 pm

How about the quality of the Professors and the difficulty and depth of the program? I have a career that a Fordham Law JD will fortify rather than laterally alter.

Besides trolling, perhaps Steven is also commenting on the current state of finding a job, in this marketplace, if you aren't competitive in the class rankings. Not necessarily reflecting on the quality of the program.

To put it in perspective, which Law Schools are not a joke Steven?

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 pm

our friend steven here is the same guy who commented a few days ago that USC on a full ride is financial suicide. waaaa

bitter, much?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Ya know, some posts are not even worth taking the time to acknowledge......

But then, I suppose by typing the above I just did.....

:lol:

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:42 pm

28% of 2011 Fordham grads got jobs with 100+ lawyer firms, or federal clerkships. That's a big proportion to send to the upper crust of the legal profession. On the other hand, 42.5% failed to get a full-time, long-term, J.D.-required job. That's scary.

Mixed bag? Yes. Joke? No.

http://law.fordham.edu/assets/CareerPla ... t_9mos.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Robespierre wrote:28% of 2011 Fordham grads got jobs with 100+ lawyer firms, or federal clerkships. That's a big proportion to send to the upper crust of the legal profession. On the other hand, 42.5% failed to get a full-time, long-term, J.D.-required job. That's scary.

It's hard to decidedly interpret this data. It's never completely transparent, which is a big problem with employment data. It's possible, even likely that at least some of those non JD required jobs were advantageous or preferable to the students.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:04 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Robespierre wrote:28% of 2011 Fordham grads got jobs with 100+ lawyer firms, or federal clerkships. That's a big proportion to send to the upper crust of the legal profession. On the other hand, 42.5% failed to get a full-time, long-term, J.D.-required job. That's scary.

It's hard to decidedly interpret this data. It's never completely transparent, which is a big problem with employment data. It's possible, even likely that at least some of those non JD required jobs were advantageous or preferable to the students.
not to mention that everyone knows 2011 was the worst year for law school grads (2009 OCI) ... I'm not the most wishful thinker and I'm not saying the legal market is going to rebound to where it was a decade ago, or even close for that matter, but it definitely will improve from 2011.

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:46 pm

TLSwag wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

not to mention that everyone knows 2011 was the worst year for law school grads (2009 OCI) ... I'm not the most wishful thinker and I'm not saying the legal market is going to rebound to where it was a decade ago, or even close for that matter, but it definitely will improve from 2011.

Generally when a trader decides to buy a security, whether it be a stock, bond, or commodity, he generally gives himself 4 ins. In a nutshell, if he wants to buy 1000 shares, he buys 250 shares at 4 different prices levels. This is because buying the bottom is near impossible.

Just because 2011 was the worst year in terms of legal hiring, doesn't mean that 2013 won't be any worse. 2014 could be much, much worse. The general sentiment of the past four years has been to buy houses, because home prices have never been so low. Well if you bought three years ago, prices came down two years ago. Then they came down one year ago. And home prices continue to drop today.

The point is, you are likely not buying the bottom by attending Fordham this fall. I mean this as a friendly heads up. In fact, I wouldn't mind attending Fordham at some time in the future, but I'm going to wait for a credible (more than one year) uptrend in the legal market first.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 pm

^ I mean no offense, but what are you doing in the class of 15/16 thread then. There are better, appropriate places on TLS to address your concerns.

The purpose of this thread is for students hoping to/planning to attend Fordham this year to get advice, make friends, express concerns, etc. I met a few of my favorite people at Fordham in my waiting thread and I also received some great advice from current students. This years thread has frequently lost its course.
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 pm

ajax wrote:
TLSwag wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Generally when a trader decides to buy a security, whether it be a stock, bond, or commodity, he generally gives himself 4 ins. In a nutshell, if he wants to buy 1000 shares, he buys 250 shares at 4 different prices levels. This is because buying the bottom is near impossible.

Just because 2011 was the worst year in terms of legal hiring, doesn't mean that 2013 won't be any worse. 2014 could be much, much worse. The general sentiment of the past four years has been to buy houses, because home prices have never been so low. Well if you bought three years ago, prices came down two years ago. Then they came down one year ago. And home prices continue to drop today.

The point is, you are likely not buying the bottom by attending Fordham this fall. I mean this as a friendly heads up. In fact, I wouldn't mind attending Fordham at some time in the future, but I'm going to wait for a credible (more than one year) uptrend in the legal market first.
while that was a creative analogy, it was also one without significant relevance. the real estate market can not be compared that extensively to law school trends. you have a point, which i in fact conceded in my previous post, however, you are ignoring data (beyond anecdotal evidence) that points to at least a slight up-stick in the legal market for the coming year.

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:59 pm

JenDarby wrote:^ I mean this as no offense, but what are you doing in the class of 15/16 thread then. There are better, appropriate places on TLS to address your concerns.

The purpose of this thread is for students hoping to/planning to attend Fordham this year to get advice, make friends, express concerns, etc. I met a few of my favorite people at Fordham in my waiting thread and I also received some great advice from current students. This years thread has frequently lost its course.
Doing my due diligence. Not attending blindly, like so many others have in the past. Because I am interested in Fordham, I read through this thread. I also read the scam blogs. I also read the success stories. On top of anecdotal evidence, I scour for as much hard data as possible, such as law school transparency.

I thought I was giving a friendly heads up with my post about it being very difficult to buy the low. Someone made the argument that the market will never be worse than it was in 2011, and guess what, it very well may be. For everyone's sake who is attending this year, I hope 2011 was the worst year. I really do. But, it certainly doesn't hurt to look at the other side of the coin, either.

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:02 pm

http://law.fordham.edu/assets/CareerPla ... t_9mos.pdf[/quote]
It's hard to decidedly interpret this data. It's never completely transparent, which is a big problem with employment data. It's possible, even likely that at least some of those non JD required jobs were advantageous or preferable to the students.[/quote]

not to mention that everyone knows 2011 was the worst year for law school grads (2009 OCI) ... I'm not the most wishful thinker and I'm not saying the legal market is going to rebound to where it was a decade ago, or even close for that matter, but it definitely will improve from 2011.[/quote]

The point is, you are likely not buying the bottom by attending Fordham this fall. I mean this as a friendly heads up. In fact, I wouldn't mind attending Fordham at some time in the future, but I'm going to wait for a credible (more than one year) uptrend in the legal market first.[/quote]

while that was a creative analogy, it was also one without significant relevance. the real estate market can not be compared that extensively to law school trends. you have a point, which i in fact conceded in my previous post, however, you are ignoring data (beyond anecdotal evidence) that points to at least a slight up-stick in the legal market for the coming year.[/quote]

And often times a slight up-tick is a great time to put on a massive short position.

Listen. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just make sure you're going for the right reasons.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:05 pm

ajax wrote:Mixed bag? Yes. Joke? No.

It's hard to decidedly interpret this data. It's never completely transparent, which is a big problem with employment data. It's possible, even likely that at least some of those non JD required jobs were advantageous or preferable to the students.[/quote]

not to mention that everyone knows 2011 was the worst year for law school grads (2009 OCI) ... I'm not the most wishful thinker and I'm not saying the legal market is going to rebound to where it was a decade ago, or even close for that matter, but it definitely will improve from 2011.[/quote]

The point is, you are likely not buying the bottom by attending Fordham this fall. I mean this as a friendly heads up. In fact, I wouldn't mind attending Fordham at some time in the future, but I'm going to wait for a credible (more than one year) uptrend in the legal market first.[/quote]

while that was a creative analogy, it was also one without significant relevance. the real estate market can not be compared that extensively to law school trends. you have a point, which i in fact conceded in my previous post, however, you are ignoring data (beyond anecdotal evidence) that points to at least a slight up-stick in the legal market for the coming year.[/quote]

And often times a slight up-tick is a great time to put on a massive short position.

Listen. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just make sure you're going for the right reasons.[/quote]

well ajax, while i appreciate your concern, i am not attending fordham law in the fall (or even basing any law school related decisions) because i think 2011 was a dry spot in associate hiring... if that answers your question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”