Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shawty18ga

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby shawty18ga » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 pm

beauTfully_free wrote:
snakemongler84 wrote:I'm in my last semester at Stetson. Feel free to pose questions; I will do my best to check back a couple of times.

Does the gulfport campus have an excerise facility...I know theres a pool plopped somewhere but what about a gym?

I can answer this. It has a gym and locker rooms. It's nothing special, but I guess it has pretty much whatever you would need as far. I bought a membership at another gym, though. Good to be away from school and other students now and then.

Minicoop88

Postby Minicoop88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:47 am

Don't expect much money from Stetson. I'm a 1L at Emory University and applied to Stetson last year with numbers in about their 90th percentile , diverse resume, and was offered nothing. I applied in January. The issue with them is that in this economy, tier 2,3,and 4 private schools have had their endowments suffer and/or didn't have large ones to begin with. Stetson was my back up school and I visited multiple times to "barter" for $$$ and they were the only school I received no $$$ offers from. It's less about your numbers and more about what amount of money they have left to give. For Emory, I'm in their 75th % for gpa and around right below the median for LSAT and over half my tuition is covered by scholarship money. Check out schools with sturdier long standing reputations and large endowments and you'll be more likely to receive $$$. Plus, Stetson is not worth almost the 40K a year they charge. After I started my 1L year I visited a friend there and sat in on his class for fun. I didn't tell him this, but it was not at all the quality I expected it would be for the price and "individualized" learning they boast that they have. I felt like they really misrepresented to accepted students and applicants the quality of their academics. But, I wasn't able to see that until I had something to compare it to. Good luck though!!

Minicoop88

Postby Minicoop88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:04 am

So just decided to check out this thread. I got in in early January, no scholly money coming from Stetson itself. Im in between Stetson and George Mason (prob at sticker price). Any thoughts? p.s. I'm a Miami boy who wants to eventually live/practice in FL.

Go to George Mason! Great school and close to DC (prestigious summer jobs). Don't concentrate too much on specialized programs. Most everyone I know (including myself), changes their minds about what practice area they want in law school. Only thing I've been consistent about was wanting to work in academia

Minicoop88

Postby Minicoop88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:13 am

floridaninja wrote:
What is the deal with Stetson?

Time and time again, it's ranked at the top in all of the country in Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing, yet Stetson is only ranked 119 in the country. It'd be great to see Stetson break 100 and become more well known throughout the country. I don't understand why it's not ranked higher overall with being ranked so high in Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing.

Ya, specialty rankings are kind of a joke. Not the same serious methodology as the full us news rankings. Here's exactly how it's done:

U.S. News believes that this calculation is a more realistic presentation of the employment data that is currently available to U.S. News.

Bar passage rate (0.02): The ratio of the school's bar passage rate of the 2010 graduating class to that jurisdiction's overall state bar passage rate for first-time test takers in winter 2010 and summer 2010. The jurisdiction listed is the state where the largest number of 2010 graduates took the state bar exam. The state bar examination pass rates for first-time test takers in summer 2010 and winter 2010 were provided by the National Conference of Bar Examiners.

The American Bar Association's 2011 Annual Questionnaire required law schools to report their bar passage rate results for first-time test takers for the same calendar-year, winter and summer 2010.

Faculty resources (weighted by 0.15)

Expenditures per student: The average expenditures per student for the 2010 and 2011 fiscal years. The average instruction, library, and supporting services (0.0975) are measured, as are all other items, including financial aid (0.015).

Student/faculty ratio (0.03): The ratio of students to faculty members for 2011, using the American Bar Association definition.

Library resources (0.0075): The total number of volumes and titles in the school's law library at the end of the 2011 fiscal year.

Overall rank: Data were standardized about their means, and standardized scores were weighted, totaled, and rescaled so that the top school received 100; others received their percentage of the top score.

Extended law school rankings: In response to interest from both readers and institutions in knowing where more law schools sit, for the second year in a row, we have extended the list of numerically ranked institutions from the top 100 to the top three quarters of the schools. The remaining schools, or the bottom 25 percent of those that are ranked, are listed alphabetically as Rank Not Published (see full explanation below of Rank Not Published).

Schools not ranked and listed as Unranked: University of California—Irvine was not ranked because as of February 2012, it was only provisionally approved by the American Bar Association and thus is listed as Unranked. Three law schools in Puerto Rico—Catholic University of Puerto Rico, Inter American University School of Law, and the University of Puerto Rico—Rio Piedras—are listed as Unranked. To be ranked and listed on the overall ranking tables, a law school must be accredited and fully approved by the American Bar Association and must draw most of its students from the United States.

Specialty rankings: These specialty rankings are based solely on votes by legal educators, who nominated up to 15 schools in each field. Legal educators chosen were a selection of those listed in the Association of American Law Schools Directory of Law Teachers 2009-2010 as currently teaching in that field. In the case of clinical and legal writing, the nominations were made by directors or members of the clinical and legal writing programs at each law school.

Those programs that received the most top 15 nominations appear and are numerically ranked in descending order based on the number of nominations they received as long as the school/program received seven or more nominations in that specialty area. This means that schools ranked at the bottom of each law specialty ranking have received seven nominations.

arizonastategirl23

Postby arizonastategirl23 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:03 am

beauTfully_free wrote:
snakemongler84 wrote:I'm in my last semester at Stetson. Feel free to pose questions; I will do my best to check back a couple of times.

Does the gulfport campus have an excerise facility...I know theres a pool plopped somewhere but what about a gym?

It does have a gym...right next to the pool actually. There are free weights, weight machines, mats for yoga/stretching etc., there are also treadmills, elypticals (sp?) and bikes for spinning. There are tv's in the room with the treadmills... I know they also have yoga and or pilates classes offered for free. Oh- and the gym is open 24/7 with keycard access...which I thought was pretty cool. It's actually one of the things that attracted me to the school, is that you can go to the gym anytime you want. There's also speakers and a hook up so if you're there by yourself you can hook up your ipod.

snakemongler84

Postby snakemongler84 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:41 am

Minicoop88 wrote:Don't expect much money from Stetson. I'm a 1L at Emory University and applied to Stetson last year with numbers in about their 90th percentile , diverse resume, and was offered nothing. I applied in January. The issue with them is that in this economy, tier 2,3,and 4 private schools have had their endowments suffer and/or didn't have large ones to begin with. Stetson was my back up school and I visited multiple times to "barter" for $$$ and they were the only school I received no $$$ offers from. It's less about your numbers and more about what amount of money they have left to give. For Emory, I'm in their 75th % for gpa and around right below the median for LSAT and over half my tuition is covered by scholarship money. Check out schools with sturdier long standing reputations and large endowments and you'll be more likely to receive $$$. Plus, Stetson is not worth almost the 40K a year they charge. After I started my 1L year I visited a friend there and sat in on his class for fun. I didn't tell him this, but it was not at all the quality I expected it would be for the price and "individualized" learning they boast that they have. I felt like they really misrepresented to accepted students and applicants the quality of their academics. But, I wasn't able to see that until I had something to compare it to. Good luck though!!

Sounds like somebody is a little sore about not receiving the treatment they "deserved." Also, I remember how qualified I was -- as a 1L -- to judge a school's entire educational experience after sitting-in on a single class session. Thanks for the insight.

arizonastategirl23

Postby arizonastategirl23 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:08 am

Minicoop88 wrote:Don't expect much money from Stetson. I'm a 1L at Emory University and applied to Stetson last year with numbers in about their 90th percentile , diverse resume, and was offered nothing. I applied in January. The issue with them is that in this economy, tier 2,3,and 4 private schools have had their endowments suffer and/or didn't have large ones to begin with. Stetson was my back up school and I visited multiple times to "barter" for $$$ and they were the only school I received no $$$ offers from. It's less about your numbers and more about what amount of money they have left to give. For Emory, I'm in their 75th % for gpa and around right below the median for LSAT and over half my tuition is covered by scholarship money. Check out schools with sturdier long standing reputations and large endowments and you'll be more likely to receive $$$. Plus, Stetson is not worth almost the 40K a year they charge. After I started my 1L year I visited a friend there and sat in on his class for fun. I didn't tell him this, but it was not at all the quality I expected it would be for the price and "individualized" learning they boast that they have. I felt like they really misrepresented to accepted students and applicants the quality of their academics. But, I wasn't able to see that until I had something to compare it to. Good luck though!!

I applied in February and got $30,000.............

seancris

Postby seancris » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:32 pm

arizonastategirl23 wrote:

I applied in February and got $30,000.............

I got full tuition at Stetson, and 60k at Emory. Applied to both in January. I don't think the lack of a scholly offer from Stetson was due to their endowment being hurt by ITE, rather the scholarship process is just random and unpredictable sometimes. I was above both 75ths for one of my schools and didn't get any scholarship aid, while non URMs below both medians got aid. Similar stories are all over TLS.

weatherswaysme

Postby weatherswaysme » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:08 pm

So I'm a facebook moron but I think I created a group. http://www.facebook.com/groups/222440644524380/ if this is a fail I guess someone else will have to do it haha

GatorCTS

Postby GatorCTS » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:06 pm

weatherswaysme wrote:So I'm a facebook moron but I think I created a group. http://www.facebook.com/groups/222440644524380/ if this is a fail I guess someone else will have to do it haha

Thanks.

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Stetson is going to the waiting list for the first time on Monday. I hope I get the acceptance into full time.

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:00 pm

We are very pleased to advise you that the Faculty Committee on Admissions has reevaluated your status and approved your application for admission to Stetson University College of Law for the Fall Full-Time Semester 2012.

rockydbull

Postby rockydbull » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:31 pm

disconnected wrote:We are very pleased to advise you that the Faculty Committee on Admissions has reevaluated your status and approved your application for admission to Stetson University College of Law for the Fall Full-Time Semester 2012.

Congrats on your admission. Did they offer you any money? Also would you mind sharing your numbers for everyone to see where they are pulling for the waitlist to full time

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:19 pm

rockydbull wrote:
disconnected wrote:We are very pleased to advise you that the Faculty Committee on Admissions has reevaluated your status and approved your application for admission to Stetson University College of Law for the Fall Full-Time Semester 2012.

Congrats on your admission. Did they offer you any money? Also would you mind sharing your numbers for everyone to see where they are pulling for the waitlist to full time

No money. Sadly, I am 151 / 3.2, but strong softs, philanthropy, FL born, FL schooled, lots of work history, school visit, weekly emails to admissions, etc. They offered a dozen more acceptances on Monday. Also I believe they are pulling PT into FT, but I could be wrong.

JamesTJ

Postby JamesTJ » Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Anyone else miss out on the Yellow Ribbon Program for next year?

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Tue May 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Don't let this discourage you from applying/attending. I received a full tuition scholarship. Stetson makes scholarship decisions on more than just numbers. Its actually quite annoying to hear about people who feel they are more deserving than others to receive scholarships. Just because they didn't think you were good enough to receive a decent scholarship doesn't mean that others won't receive one.

arizonastategirl23

Postby arizonastategirl23 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:21 pm

So, I really want to go to Stetson....but I just got offered an increased scholarship to full ride to Brooklyn...I'm sitting on a full ride at Hofstra a full ride to Quinnipiac and a $30,000 scholly to Pepperdine....and a full ride to ASU... my Stetson scholarship is $30,000....would it be wrong/bad to somehow ask to match the full rides at the other schools??? I need some advice here... I want to go here, but I'm having a hard time justifying turning down full scholarships at other schools to pay tuition at Stetson

josh43299

Postby josh43299 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 pm

arizonastategirl23 wrote:So, I really want to go to Stetson....but I just got offered an increased scholarship to full ride to Brooklyn...I'm sitting on a full ride at Hofstra a full ride to Quinnipiac and a $30,000 scholly to Pepperdine....and a full ride to ASU... my Stetson scholarship is $30,000....would it be wrong/bad to somehow ask to match the full rides at the other schools??? I need some advice here... I want to go here, but I'm having a hard time justifying turning down full scholarships at other schools to pay tuition at Stetson

No it wouldn't be wrong, it is common practice. But you have much better options regardless.

Minicoop88

Postby Minicoop88 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:

Sounds like somebody is a little sore about not receiving the treatment they "deserved." Also, I remember how qualified I was -- as a 1L -- to judge a school's entire educational experience after sitting-in on a single class session. Thanks for the insight.

Was never sore at all, and never said that I "deserved" anything. Statistically speaking, it's strange for certain number to not receive any offers for $$. During admitted students day Laura Zuppo said verbatim that their endowment for scholarships had been hit hard. And I still stand by what I said about the class I observed. There's a few students that transferred up here this year and say similar things. I wasn't being condescending, these are all facts and things that people just need to consider. Remember: they're trying to recruit you to their school, they'll fluff up and sugar coat if need be.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”