Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MichNole19
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MichNole19 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Anyone hear anything from Stetson lately?

--lex--
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby --lex-- » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:47 pm

IN! Just got an email today. 160/3.7

I spoke to Pat today in the admissions office. The first cycle for scholarships should be in December. Apparently, the scholarship regulations and process has changed a bit. Not really sure what exactly has changed though. Has anyone gotten any offers?

User avatar
skirkland
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skirkland » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Not yet. Accepted 11/5.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cutecarmel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Not yet, but I think they start sending December-Feb. (hopefully December)

--lex-- wrote:IN! Just got an email today. 160/3.7

I spoke to Pat today in the admissions office. The first cycle for scholarships should be in December. Apparently, the scholarship regulations and process has changed a bit. Not really sure what exactly has changed though. Has anyone gotten any offers?

DRDGMU
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DRDGMU » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 pm

In at Stetson today via email! First acceptance of the cycle. I'm pretty stoked!

MichNole19
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MichNole19 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Congrats to DRDGMU and lex!!! If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your application? Mine has been under review for a month now :(

DRDGMU
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DRDGMU » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:01 am

MichNole19 wrote:Congrats to DRDGMU and lex!!! If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your application? Mine has been under review for a month now :(


I went complete on 11/16. My numbers were 158/3.24. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll hear something soon.

MichNole19
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MichNole19 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 am

In via E-mail.... glad the wait is over... Good Luck to everyone still waiting!

JamesTJ
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamesTJ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:25 pm

weatherswaysme wrote:
JamesTJ wrote:Waitlisted :x
I attended the online General Admissions chat session they had the other day. Mr. Kettles said, "WL, not a great place to be, but please stay in touch with me and my office for more information"
So depressing.


Kettles is the man, he is really helpful. Stay in touch with him and you should have a better shot of getting in off the WL. Good luck


Thanks, I have been. Kettles and all of the other admissions staff have been incredibly helpful. Hopefully it's Tampa this time next year!

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cutecarmel » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Yea. Kettles is pretty awesome.

JamesTJ wrote:
weatherswaysme wrote:
JamesTJ wrote:Waitlisted :x
I attended the online General Admissions chat session they had the other day. Mr. Kettles said, "WL, not a great place to be, but please stay in touch with me and my office for more information"
So depressing.


Kettles is the man, he is really helpful. Stay in touch with him and you should have a better shot of getting in off the WL. Good luck


Thanks, I have been. Kettles and all of the other admissions staff have been incredibly helpful. Hopefully it's Tampa this time next year!

jdwishes
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jdwishes » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Stetson 1L here if anyone has any questions...

jdwishes
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jdwishes » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I toured Stetson a few weeks ago and attended a criminal law class. I really enjoyed the visit and the general demeanor of the entire faculty. The campus is beautiful and ohh so many miles from any undergraduate campus which gives it a +1 in my book!

Congrats, BeauTfully! I am glad you got your #1 :D[/quote]

Who was teaching the crim law class?

Also, you brought up an important point: no undergrad campus around. I'm sure this has some positives. We're more of a tight knit community because of it. But if you're single it sucks. I have a long-term girlfriend. Otherwise, I would have gone to a law school with an undergrad around. Males and females alike complain that there are really so few options for dating. Something to keep in mind.[/quote]

It was professor Scully (sp?). She was awesome! I really enjoyed the class.

I'm married and while I'm only 26 I consider myself and "old" person. I don't party, I don't like noise, and I have no interest in crazy frat parties. I'm really looking forward to being part of a small group of focused students.

Does Stetson have Sections, i.e. a group of students who take all of their classes together, or do you have different students in different classes? I think I'd prefer the sections, it seems that it would be beneficial for setting up consistent study groups.[/quote]

Are you interested at all in PT? I only ask/throw it out there because of your "old person" comment. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the atmosphere between the FT and PT sections. FT can feel an awful lot like HS (competition, brown-nosing, cliqu-ish). Whereas, my PT friends have mentioned a very different experience - much more supportive and professional environment.

For what it's worth...

What did Scully reem the class about?

User avatar
skirkland
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skirkland » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:00 pm

jdwishes wrote:I toured Stetson a few weeks ago and attended a criminal law class. I really enjoyed the visit and the general demeanor of the entire faculty. The campus is beautiful and ohh so many miles from any undergraduate campus which gives it a +1 in my book!

Congrats, BeauTfully! I am glad you got your #1 :D


Who was teaching the crim law class?

Also, you brought up an important point: no undergrad campus around. I'm sure this has some positives. We're more of a tight knit community because of it. But if you're single it sucks. I have a long-term girlfriend. Otherwise, I would have gone to a law school with an undergrad around. Males and females alike complain that there are really so few options for dating. Something to keep in mind.[/quote]

It was professor Scully (sp?). She was awesome! I really enjoyed the class.

I'm married and while I'm only 26 I consider myself and "old" person. I don't party, I don't like noise, and I have no interest in crazy frat parties. I'm really looking forward to being part of a small group of focused students.

Does Stetson have Sections, i.e. a group of students who take all of their classes together, or do you have different students in different classes? I think I'd prefer the sections, it seems that it would be beneficial for setting up consistent study groups.[/quote]

Are you interested at all in PT? I only ask/throw it out there because of your "old person" comment. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the atmosphere between the FT and PT sections. FT can feel an awful lot like HS (competition, brown-nosing, cliqu-ish). Whereas, my PT friends have mentioned a very different experience - much more supportive and professional environment.

For what it's worth...

What did Scully reem the class about?[/quote]

I feel like I'm ready to dig in and get school over with, so I am not sure that PT would be a good choice for me. I know I have tons of time, especially while waiting for the economy to recover, but I really want to go to school and not have to worry about juggling work for once in my life. PT would make it far too tempting to bury myself in work!

I wasn't there when Scully did this alleged reaming...I'd be curious to know myself! Poor 1Ls

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Do you know anything about/anyone who has participated in the JD/Grado Dual Degree in Spain?
Or about the language development program (the one that involves Rosetta Stone)?

How are job prospects for graduates (if you know)? I know Stetson is a regional school and it might be tough to get jobs out of state, but are job prospects decent for at least inside of the Tampa area?

jdwishes wrote:Stetson 1L here if anyone has any questions...

jdwishes
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jdwishes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have knowledge abut the dual degree programs, and likewise, as a 1L, I wouldn't be qualified to discuss market prospects this early in my program.

However, as a nontraditional student who helps my family hire for the family law firm, I can share my experience from that perspective. No doubt, it's a tough market, but bear in mind that it can fluctuate quite a bit four years from now when you are likely to be practicing. So, if law is in your blood and what you want to do, you will absolutely find employment.

My family's firm is in the Central Florida region and when they get Stetson candidates, it comes with a favorable impression as a quality school that turns out strong litigators and writers. We have noticed a marked difference in grads coming from Barry, FAMU, Nova v. Stetson, UF, Miami, etc.

As far as the local market, keep in mind Stetson is the only law school in the greater Tampa Bay area (Yes, I've heard Cooley is coming, but that won't hold a candle to Stetson's reputation, in my opinion.), So grads, in my unqualified opinion and real-world business experience, have good job prospects because it's not nearly as saturated as south Florida or even Central Florida.

My brother is an alum of UF and been practicing for about 12 years and even though UF is ranked #1 in the state, he unequivocally acknowledges the quality of Stetson grads. The grads come into the workforce more prepared and ready to start than many theory based programs like UF. My brother attended Stetson's information day with me when I was making my decision on where to attend and was quite impressed with Stetson's professors and program.

My suggestion is to find the environment you will most thrive at, and you will have your entire law school career to find your niche and develop business relationships for opportunities.

cutecarmel wrote:Do you know anything about/anyone who has participated in the JD/Grado Dual Degree in Spain?
Or about the language development program (the one that involves Rosetta Stone)?

How are job prospects for graduates (if you know)? I know Stetson is a regional school and it might be tough to get jobs out of state, but are job prospects decent for at least inside of the Tampa area?

jdwishes wrote:Stetson 1L here if anyone has any questions...

anon2828
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby anon2828 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Anyone know what time the General Admissions chat starts? There is a date listed on Stetson's site, but no time.

http://www.law.stetson.edu/admissions/h ... events.php

Thanks.

weatherswaysme
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby weatherswaysme » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 pm

just called admissions, said we could log in at 4:50 and the chat starts at 5

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cutecarmel » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Is it just the group chat session? I registered for it but there are no options available. I suppose they will show up at 4:30? Is this Eastern Time?

User avatar
skirkland
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skirkland » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:09 am

I got my scholarship offer in the mail today, full ride! I had no idea it was even in the mail!

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Me too! I knew Stetson had sent out scholarship info, but I didn't get an email, so I thought I would have to wait until Jan. What a great surprise! :D

skirkland wrote:I got my scholarship offer in the mail today, full ride! I had no idea it was even in the mail!

Its Always Sunny
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Its Always Sunny » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:13 pm

I wonder if anyone has had success negotiating scholarships. I have a 162 and 3.7x and was offered 1/2 tuition but I can't justify paying the same amount as instate at better ranked schools in Florida.

beauTfully_free
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby beauTfully_free » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 pm

jdwishes wrote:Stetson 1L here if anyone has any questions...


What do you know about the job market in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area in general? I'm relocating from Washington D.C. and my boyfriend will be moving with me to law school as long as he finds a job in finance....

jdwishes
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jdwishes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Wish I could help with your question, but I don't know. I have a good friend who works in financial advising, and he does well (lots of clients and traveling throughout the greater area), but I hardly have the requisite knowledge to speak on the general market here. Sorry.

CONGRATS to the others on their schollys! Way to go! Tough decisions ahead in choosing the right school, but a good problem to have!

beauTfully_free wrote:
jdwishes wrote:Stetson 1L here if anyone has any questions...


What do you know about the job market in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area in general? I'm relocating from Washington D.C. and my boyfriend will be moving with me to law school as long as he finds a job in finance....

beauTfully_free
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby beauTfully_free » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:34 am

It's okay....Where do you live/where would you suggest living for a 1L? I heard Gulfview Condos are right across the street and Stetson owns Rosa Apartments as well which I would assume to be pretty upkept and affordable

jdwishes wrote:Wish I could help with your question, but I don't know. I have a good friend who works in financial advising, and he does well (lots of clients and traveling throughout the greater area), but I hardly have the requisite knowledge to speak on the general market here. Sorry.

CONGRATS to the others on their schollys! Way to go! Tough decisions ahead in choosing the right school, but a good problem to have!

beauTfully_free wrote:
jdwishes wrote:Stetson 1L here if anyone has any questions...


What do you know about the job market in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area in general? I'm relocating from Washington D.C. and my boyfriend will be moving with me to law school as long as he finds a job in finance....

JamesTJ
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Re: Stetson Law c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamesTJ » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:41 am

Its Always Sunny wrote:I wonder if anyone has had success negotiating scholarships. I have a 162 and 3.7x and was offered 1/2 tuition but I can't justify paying the same amount as instate at better ranked schools in Florida.


I asked the same question at the open forum Admissions Group Chat. They said, "There's no policy per se, but people have tried to negotiate in the past."

Fairly vague, I know, but I got the impression they consider negotiation. Personally, I would give them a reason to offer you more scholarship. i.e. I've been accepted _______. I would rather attend Stetson, but I can't justify paying the same amount.

Or you could just wait to deny acceptance until the last minute, giving people on the WL a better shot at admission. Either way :mrgreen:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, fattsdomino, NorthDragon and 15 guests