UIUC 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blurbz

Silver

Re: UIUC 2015

Post by blurbz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:04 pm

MBZags wrote:
blurbz wrote:Insurance here is not mandatory. Unfortunately, I think it's opt-in not opt-out so it isn't part of the original fees (I don't think: Again, I haven't looked at it for a little while!)
Nah, it's definitely opt-out. I had to fill out a form and scan my current insurance card to get the fee refunded my first semester. After that, the fee isn't charged unless you opt back in. It's $310/semester. The other fees you can opt out of total around $65-70 a semester. So it's still around $2800/year.

Oops. Guess that shows how reliable my memory is! Thanks for correcting me.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:20 pm

mattviphky wrote:Insurance might be added into fees. I'm able to stay on my dad's plan until I'm 26, so that will save some money (for me)
Yup. If your parents have insurance, you can stay on until 26. Thanks, Obama. :D

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:24 pm

I need somewhere to live for 2 months. Anyone down. :lol:

mmhmmjc

New

Post by mmhmmjc » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:32 pm

been on hold since 1/9.... anyone else in the same boat? i expected a decision by now...

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:39 pm

mmhmmjc wrote:been on hold since 1/9.... anyone else in the same boat? i expected a decision by now...
yup still on hold. confusing because i see people with lower numbers than me being admitted today. i wonder what they are waiting for

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks MBZags and blurbz again. Very helpful

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:41 pm

in2win wrote:
mmhmmjc wrote:been on hold since 1/9.... anyone else in the same boat? i expected a decision by now...
yup still on hold. confusing because i see people with lower numbers than me being admitted today. i wonder what they are waiting for
Yes.

Hopefully my visit to Champaign this week will help me out.

mmhmmjc

New

Post by mmhmmjc » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm

in2win wrote:

im strongly debating sending them an email about my decision...

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm

mmhmmjc wrote:
in2win wrote:

im strongly debating sending them an email about my decision...
It doesn't really help. But you can go ahead. I'm not sure what's going on with UIUC. They're stubbornly cautious and frustrating this year. I've been there, dude. Just stay patient.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Gail wrote: It doesn't really help. But you can go ahead. I'm not sure what's going on with UIUC. They're stubbornly cautious and frustrating this year. I've been there, dude. Just stay patient.
One thought I had was that their hands might be somewhat tied because of staffing turnover stuff. Considering there's both a Director and Assistant Director for Admissions and Financial Aid who both have the "interim" tag after the issues last year, maybe they can't be as free to make the kinds of decisions they did before regarding admissions and money.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:10 pm

givemea170 wrote:I need somewhere to live for 2 months. Anyone down. :lol:
why 2 months?

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:16 pm

tmon wrote:
Gail wrote: It doesn't really help. But you can go ahead. I'm not sure what's going on with UIUC. They're stubbornly cautious and frustrating this year. I've been there, dude. Just stay patient.
One thought I had was that their hands might be somewhat tied because of staffing turnover stuff. Considering there's both a Director and Assistant Director for Admissions and Financial Aid who both have the "interim" tag after the issues last year, maybe they can't be as free to make the kinds of decisions they did before regarding admissions and money.
Yeah. I sent letter and e-mail while never receiving response. Who is in the office now? Jenny still? I liked her.

dreambig

New

Post by dreambig » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 pm

After being held for 2nd review 2 weeks ago, just found out today via email that I was waitlisted. Kinda a bummer, but I also didn't send in a LOCI which was just sloppy on my part. Should I still send one in? Also, does anyone have any info about UIUC waitlist and getting in off it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 pm

mattviphky wrote:
why 2 months?

Sudden break up with the girl I was living with, was dumb enough to move in with her and leave my apartment. Now I need a place for a couple of months somewhere because the apartment I want in Champaign isn't available until June and no places around here do month to month leases.

I might be staying in one of those weekly hotels. :x

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:40 pm

givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
why 2 months?

Sudden break up with the girl I was living with, was dumb enough to move in with her and leave my apartment. Now I need a place for a couple of months somewhere because the apartment I want in Champaign isn't available until June and no places around here do month to month leases.

ah gotcha, i thought you meant in champaign.

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 pm

dreambig wrote:After being held for 2nd review 2 weeks ago, just found out today via email that I was waitlisted. Kinda a bummer, but I also didn't send in a LOCI which was just sloppy on my part. Should I still send one in? Also, does anyone have any info about UIUC waitlist and getting in off it? Any advice would be appreciated.

you can wait like everyone else, LOCI won't matter, it is numbers driven in shaping their class

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 pm

mattviphky wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:
why 2 months?

ah gotcha, i thought you meant in champaign.
Doesn't matter where. I have an offer for a couch in Nashville.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:54 pm

hoosierball wrote:
dreambig wrote:After being held for 2nd review 2 weeks ago, just found out today via email that I was waitlisted. Kinda a bummer, but I also didn't send in a LOCI which was just sloppy on my part. Should I still send one in? Also, does anyone have any info about UIUC waitlist and getting in off it? Any advice would be appreciated.

you can wait like everyone else, LOCI won't matter, it is numbers driven in shaping their class
rough response... An LOCI might matter and certainly couldn't hurt... I was accepted a few hours after I sent my LOCI...

hoosierball

New

Post by hoosierball » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:52 pm

givemea170 wrote:
hoosierball wrote:

rough response... An LOCI might matter and certainly couldn't hurt... I was accepted a few hours after I sent my LOCI...
I highly doubt they got your letter and said, "oh yea, he sent a LOCI, let's give him an acceptance"

I am not being harsh, but that is what they do now, how it will work at any school

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 am

I think we went over this before but I couldn't find it in the thread but who are people sending negotiations to?

Right to Ms. Carroll, or admissions in general?

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:14 am

Absolutely send an LOCI. Just make sure it is decently written. I personally know a held applicant who was accepted after he sent in an LOCI. Looks like this was givemea170's experience as well.

Law schools want to accept people who want to come to their school. If you were waitlisted, that means they like you but they aren't 100% sure. Acceptance rate is a factor in the rankings so it is good for them if they accept a person who wants to go to their school. Send the LOCI!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

station4

New

Post by station4 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:58 am

northside wrote:I think we went over this before but I couldn't find it in the thread but who are people sending negotiations to?

Right to Ms. Carroll, or admissions in general?
Right to Ms. Carroll.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:20 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:
Absolutely send an LOCI. Just make sure it is decently written. I personally know a held applicant who was accepted after he sent in an LOCI. Looks like this was givemea170's experience as well.

Law schools want to accept people who want to come to their school. If you were waitlisted, that means they like you but they aren't 100% sure. Acceptance rate is a factor in the rankings so it is good for them if they accept a person who wants to go to their school. Send the LOCI!
yep, my experience as well. I sent an LOCI and visited the campus; I was accepted 10 days later.

wolverine10

New

Post by wolverine10 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Just got a new scholarship offer. Up from 25% to 50%. Makes my decision tougher now.

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Just got my negotiation email back. They bumped me up to 25% tuition (around $12k/year) from $5k/year. Definitely an improvement (which I am happy about :D ), but it still leaves a pretty huge COA (which I am scared about :? ).

I have a few other negotiations out right now that will hopefully come through in the next week or so. Then it is decision time!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”