UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
domeafavor

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby domeafavor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:29 pm

2L here. I'm working this summer in public interest in DC, and I know at least 1 other person doing the same. Also, I know of 3 people who got firm jobs in NYC. I think if you have a demonstrated interest in public interest combined with a connection to the geographic area, you should be fine. Obviously, there are many other considerations to make in picking a school, but I've been pretty happy with my choice.

On an unrelated note, someone said that the law school doesn't have any buses running directly to it. That's not true. The law school is served by the blue line, the brown line, and I'm pretty sure a few more.

honeynutt

Postby honeynutt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:59 pm

tallgaloot wrote:
honeynutt wrote:Honestly don't go to UIUC. I've spoken to a 1L who doesn't feel like their public interest is particularly strong. And if you want to be on the East Coast then central Illinois is probably too far.

This is what I've heard, I was just reaching out to see if there were any other opinions on the school that might sway me in this direction.

Don't get me wrong U of I is really nice. I visited last week and really enjoyed it, but given all of the reasons you listed I would just be hesitant to go there.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 pm

Just now single! Is anyone else going to UIUC where they will have zero friends or is it just me? :?

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:02 pm

givemea170 wrote:Just now single! Is anyone else going to UIUC where they will have zero friends or is it just me? :?

Glad to see you're excited to be single.

You'll have plenty of friends after your first night at Kam's.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:03 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Just now single! Is anyone else going to UIUC where they will have zero friends or is it just me? :?

Definitely uplifting to get out of a bad relationship. This relationship was like ripping off a band aid over 3 months.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:38 pm

givemea170 wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:

Definitely uplifting to get out of a bad relationship. This relationship was like ripping off a band aid over 3 months.

Huuurd that. I was in a very long relationship that recently ended, and the whole breakup process wasn't fun. It also doubled my COL while in law school :(

LST

Postby LST » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:51 pm

domeafavor wrote:2L here. I'm working this summer in public interest in DC, and I know at least 1 other person doing the same. Also, I know of 3 people who got firm jobs in NYC. I think if you have a demonstrated interest in public interest combined with a connection to the geographic area, you should be fine. Obviously, there are many other considerations to make in picking a school, but I've been pretty happy with my choice.

On an unrelated note, someone said that the law school doesn't have any buses running directly to it. That's not true. The law school is served by the blue line, the brown line, and I'm pretty sure a few more.

You're right, I didn't properly finish my thought in my first post and should clarify: there are no buses that serve the Law School and Pennsylvania stop specifically at night (7pm onward) during weekdays or at all on the weekends. The Blue and the 9B Brown (not the 9A) are the buses that stops at the Pennsylvania and Law stop during the daytime (6am - 7pm) on weekdays, but, again, like I said in my original post, there are a multitude of other bus stops very nearby throughout the night and on weekends should you need to be at the Law School building at those points and times. You can learn loads more about the bus routes at CUMTD's website: http://www.cumtd.com

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:58 pm

mattviphky wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:

Huuurd that. I was in a very long relationship that recently ended, and the whole breakup process wasn't fun. It also doubled my COL while in law school :(

Going to law school and supporting her? That was going to be my situation. Glad I avoided it. Why is the sex only good when the relationship is terrible?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 am

givemea170 wrote:

Huuurd that. I was in a very long relationship that recently ended, and the whole breakup process wasn't fun. It also doubled my COL while in law school :([/quote]

Going to law school and supporting her? That was going to be my situation. Glad I avoided it. Why is the sex only good when the relationship is terrible?[/quote]

To answer your first question: I meant that i had planned to spend x amount for rent and stuff while in school, since i had a girlfriend to split rent and all that stuff. Now it's 2x, but I'm not complaining. Regarding your second question, I don't even know.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 am

givemea170 wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:

I hope you celebrated well :) If I end up at UIUC I probably won't know anyone either.

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am

Hey all.

Just got accepted here. Sorry I'm a little late to the show but have they been sending out Scholarship figures with acceptances or do they come later?

Thanks

ninjaunderwear

Postby ninjaunderwear » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:11 pm

In off waitlist via e-mail.

hoosierball

Postby hoosierball » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:13 pm

ninjaunderwear wrote:In off waitlist via e-mail.

numbers

ninjaunderwear

Postby ninjaunderwear » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:05 pm

hoosierball wrote:

numbers

In profile: 164/3.22 medium softs

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:08 pm

CONGRATS.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:17 pm

PSA:
If you're running the numbers to compare costs for different schools make sure you include fees, which happen to be a whopping $3,567 at UIUC. Compared to WUSTL, my other acceptance, at $905 since I wont need a parking pass, that seems kind of absurd.

The fact that they tout the "Illinois Guarantee" as a reasoning behind not raising scholarships, all the while maintaining fees that are way higher than basically every other school I've researched is really annoying. I'm sure there are plenty of schools with comparable fees, but I think the highest I've seen them reach for other schools is around half of the UIUC figure, with many schools around $500. Seems kind of shady/misleading, or maybe I'm just bitter that I just realized that cost difference.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Congratulations!

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Re Fees: You can opt out of a fairly significant portion of those fees every semester.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:49 pm

blurbz wrote:Re Fees: You can opt out of a fairly significant portion of those fees every semester.

Is there a breakdown somewhere on the site so I know what I will and wont need? Most schools break down the optional ones, so I assumed that they were mandatory. Obviously this isn't a make or break thing, but without subtracting from the initial figure it's takes my comparison to basically equal, to almost $10,000 different over 3 years.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Fall & Spring Refundable Fees: wrote:Krannert Fee
Sustainable Campus Environment Fee
SEAL Fee (Students for Equal Access to Learning)
Legacy of Service and Learning Scholarship Fee (Legacy)
SORF (Student Organization Resource Fee)
Cultural Programming Fee (CP)
Study Abroad Scholarship (SAS) Fee

I can't find the breakdown of how much this is....but I'm also on spring break so I'm sort of lazy. I'll look through my email a little later and see if I can find it.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks, blurbz. If you get a chance to look up the amounts I'd definitely appreciate it.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Insurance might be added into fees. I'm able to stay on my dad's plan until I'm 26, so that will save some money (for me)

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:03 pm

mattviphky wrote:Insurance might be added into fees. I'm able to stay on my dad's plan until I'm 26, so that will save some money (for me)

Quite a few schools' insurance is mandatory, at least according to the websites, even if you already have insurance. But again, hard to tell with UIUC since they don't break things down for prospectives.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Insurance here is not mandatory. Unfortunately, I think it's opt-in not opt-out so it isn't part of the original fees (I don't think: Again, I haven't looked at it for a little while!)

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:01 pm

blurbz wrote:Insurance here is not mandatory. Unfortunately, I think it's opt-in not opt-out so it isn't part of the original fees (I don't think: Again, I haven't looked at it for a little while!)

Nah, it's definitely opt-out. I had to fill out a form and scan my current insurance card to get the fee refunded my first semester. After that, the fee isn't charged unless you opt back in. It's $310/semester. The other fees you can opt out of total around $65-70 a semester. So it's still around $2800/year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”