UIUC 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
givemea170

Re: UIUC 2015

Postby givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:12 pm

tmon wrote:
givemea170 wrote:This was somewhat covered I believe... but if someone were to send the first seat deposit to Illinois and then get another acceptance and go there, how unhappy would Illinois be?

It seems like they'd make $500 and easily find someone on the wait-list so would they really care?

Pretty sure it happens all the time, and really, what would could they say beyond "we wish you didn't do that" really? Many applicants end up depositing at multiple schools if they're waiting on financial reconsideration or whatever too, so it seems like it's just part of the system.

Good to hear that response. That is my thinking as well. They require the seat deposit to protect themselves and possibly profit off students who will go elsewhere.

Guess I'll send in my deposit now and just wait to hear from 2-3 other schools.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm

givemea170 wrote:
tmon wrote:
givemea170 wrote:This was somewhat covered I believe... but if someone were to send the first seat deposit to Illinois and then get another acceptance and go there, how unhappy would Illinois be?

It seems like they'd make $500 and easily find someone on the wait-list so would they really care?

Pretty sure it happens all the time, and really, what would could they say beyond "we wish you didn't do that" really? Many applicants end up depositing at multiple schools if they're waiting on financial reconsideration or whatever too, so it seems like it's just part of the system.

Good to hear that response. That is my thinking as well. They require the seat deposit to protect themselves and possibly profit off students who will go elsewhere.

I mean, there's also over a month until the deposit is due and no real incentive to send it in early.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:16 pm

tmon wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
tmon wrote:

I mean, there's also over a month until the deposit is due and no real incentive to send it in early.

The schools I'm still holding out hope for pretty much said they wouldn't be touching the wait-list for a few months but yeah I guess I'll wait until mid April.

astrophysics

Postby astrophysics » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 pm

blurbz wrote:
mrjohnsterman wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:not that it matters, but 35th. Hopefully this will help UIUC be abit more generous.

You bet your bottom I'm gonna be asking for a scholly boost! Obviously I'll word it much more politely :D

At the end of the day, job placement is the single most important factor when choosing a law school. UIUC still manages to compete well. I won't be taking these new rankings too seriously. Could have been much worse.

The ranking drop doesn't worry me about U of I. What worries me is the things I hear floating around on this site about a lot of first year students attempting to transfer out. If a large portion of students transfer out I worry the job results may disappear as well.

I'm surprised at how few people I hear of transferring out. There are people at the top going, of course, but they were gone with or without the scandal. The other people, those who said they were leaving no matter what back in October, seem to have cooled down a little and realized that paying more for worse job prospects at IU/WI/IA etc or even similar job prospects at WUSTL/ND etc is a bad idea. Then again, I'm not a 1L and I don't know TOO many of them--perhaps a current 1L can weigh in on the general feeling of the class? JoeFish?

Also, I'm interested in seeing how many people transfer IN this year. My 1L class had 225 students in it and a bunch transferred up (and a few made lateral moves due to geography) but we still increased our class size to 238 this year through transfers.

I am a 1L at UIUC and I don't know of anyone planning to transfer. I think people were incensed when the news broke, but are fairly apathetic now. Our job placement and Career Services remains superior to competitor schools and really, isn't that all we care about? Plus, the school itself is adamantly anti-transfer. PLUS, even attempting to transfer is truly a waste of time/money unless you're in the top 10%. Transferring law schools is a a fantasy many 1Ls and 0Ls hold on to when they don't get into the schools they want. In reality, it's a huge pain in the ass, you will likely be rejected, and on the off-chance you DO get in, you're sort of screwed re: law review, journals, trial team, etc. UIUC is a great school. There's little reason to leave, scandal or no scandal.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 pm

astrophysics wrote: I am a 1L at UIUC and I don't know of anyone planning to transfer. I think people were incensed when the news broke, but are fairly apathetic now. Our job placement and Career Services remains superior to competitor schools and really, isn't that all we care about? Plus, the school itself is adamantly anti-transfer. PLUS, even attempting to transfer is truly a waste of time/money unless you're in the top 10%. Transferring law schools is a a fantasy many 1Ls and 0Ls hold on to when they don't get into the schools they want. In reality, it's a huge pain in the ass, you will likely be rejected, and on the off-chance you DO get in, you're sort of screwed re: law review, journals, trial team, etc. UIUC is a great school. There's little reason to leave, scandal or no scandal.

(dean pless)

astrophysics

Postby astrophysics » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
LST wrote:
I have yet to send in my seat deposit but will almost assuredly be attending UIUC this fall. I am currently looking into housing options and was wondering if any current students could throw some advice my way about navigating Champagne. Are there certain locations that are within walking distance to the law school? What is reasonable for rent for a one bedroom (I'm coming from Ann Arbor where rent is ridiculously high; might as well be living in Chicago for what I'm paying right now)? Is it necessary to have a car in Champagne? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I realize this is about 2 pages back, but thought I would weigh in as a current undergrad and likely law student this fall.

This will only address living within walking distance (<20 min) as it is by no means necessary to have a car in order to live comfortably in Urbana-Champaign, plus OP specifically wanted to know about CU life sans car.

Champaign

If you are not looking for a party environment, do not live anywhere within the area bounded by Green Street to the North, 1st Street to the West, Wright Street to the East and Gregory Drive to the South. Almost all of the fraternities (keeping in mind that we have the largest Greek system in the US by number of chapters) and undergrad bars are located within this area. The majority of reported crime in the campus area also occurs within this vicinity.

Living North of Green Street (but South of Springfield Ave.) is manageable but would not be the most desirable place for someone looking to stay away from undergrads.

The area North of Springfield Avenue but South of University Avenue is a great, cheap place (many quality 1 bedroom and studios in this area range from $350 - $500) to live. The area surrounds the Northern part of the engineering campus and is relatively quiet because most undergrads don't like living 4 blocks North of all the action going on by Green Street and seem to have a very skewed concept of what constitutes "far." Another plus for this area is the close proximity to County Market, which is the only decent grocery store within the campus area.

Urbana

Urbana is also a great place to live that is well within walking distance to the Law School. Crossing Lincoln Avenue to the East is like going from night to day. Urbana is very quiet area with several brick streets, ample green space, has a much lower crime rate than Champaign and a lot of older dwellings. Living in Urbana tends to be more expensive than Champaign for several of the qualities mentioned in the previous sentence.

My comments for the area North of Springfield Avenue but South of University Avenue in Urbana are roughly the same as my Champaign comments, however, it would take a little longer to get to the Law School from there and its not as close to County Market, but it's not that far either.

Urbana-Champaign Transportation for those W/O a Car

Both cities are very bike friendly, with lots of bike lanes, bike paths, bike shops, etc. The area also has one of the best public transit systems for twin cities of their size. CUMTD, which runs the transit system, is largely subsidized by the University and supplies ample bus routes that run regularly to all sorts of locations on and off campus. There is no bus stop at the Law Building, but there are many within a block (especially around the Activities and Recreation Center, the ARC). And, when all else fails, walking is generally not a problem.

Other

I did not address living South of the Law School because there is almost nothing, aside from the University's livestock and farm land, and definitely no places to live within walking distance.

Urbana has a Tenant Bill of Rights and provides a lot more protection for those renting than Champaign does.

The University is also one of the last Big Ten schools that still has a Tenant Union for students, they are really helpful and offer a lot of assistance to grad students unfamiliar with the campus who are looking for housing (http://www.tenantunion.uiuc.edu/).

Of the larger landlords, the only one with a really good reputation (= no complaints to the Tenant Union in 40+ years) is Roland Realty, however, living in their apartments or houses tends to be very expensive.

Campus Property Management and the University Group are cheap but have sub-par reputations for a reason.

There are a lot of great smaller landlords, they just require more research to discover.

Hope this helps OP and anyone else unfamiliar with the area.

This is extremely useful information. Would you hate doing a quick revamp of this information for those of us who plan on having a car with us and wouldn't mind living farther away from school?

Living with a car isn't all that different. To be honest, you don't use your car much. Groceries, Wal-mart, errands, whatever, but otherwise it's unnecessary. Plus, all those major stores and markets are north of the highway and while there are some sub-divisions up there, I don't know of anyone living there.

About a quarter of the class lives in either The Village or Indigo Place out in Savoy. That might be nice if you have a car. The great thing about these places is that they are spacious as hell. All townhomes. Relatively cheap, weird but luxurious clubhouses, pools, lakes, running trails, etc. They try to include all the amenities imaginable [...because they are so far away they more or less have to]. They have shuttles, but I have been told they slow down or even stop all together when night comes. These places are very doable if you have a car, but you have to remember that if you want to go to Darts League or hit up the bars in Champaign or Urbana, getting to and from can be a hassle. Everyone I know who lives in these sub-divisions has said at some point, "I would go.... but it's so far away."

Living along Springfield Avenue, either in Champaign or Urbana, is a good choice. There are a lot of major bus lines and even with a car, you'll want to be taking the bus. Parking is $1/hr at the law school and I racked up $120 in tickets last semester. Whoops! Anyways- Springfield is a major avenue here so many grocery stores and businesses are nearby. It's also more removed from the chaos of undergrad/campus town.

Living along Lincoln Avenue or west of Lincoln, in Urbana, is also a good bet. Another major road, many businesses and bus lines. Free on-street parking for most of Urbana too!

Most places charge these exorbitant fees for parking. I pay $60/month for my parking spot currently and I hate myself for it. I'm living in Urbana next year and I look forward to not throwing away $720/yr on parking.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:28 pm

astrophysics wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:
LST wrote:
I have yet to send in my seat deposit but will almost assuredly be attending UIUC this fall. I am currently looking into housing options and was wondering if any current students could throw some advice my way about navigating Champagne. Are there certain locations that are within walking distance to the law school? What is reasonable for rent for a one bedroom (I'm coming from Ann Arbor where rent is ridiculously high; might as well be living in Chicago for what I'm paying right now)? Is it necessary to have a car in Champagne? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I realize this is about 2 pages back, but thought I would weigh in as a current undergrad and likely law student this fall.

This will only address living within walking distance (<20 min) as it is by no means necessary to have a car in order to live comfortably in Urbana-Champaign, plus OP specifically wanted to know about CU life sans car.

Champaign

If you are not looking for a party environment, do not live anywhere within the area bounded by Green Street to the North, 1st Street to the West, Wright Street to the East and Gregory Drive to the South. Almost all of the fraternities (keeping in mind that we have the largest Greek system in the US by number of chapters) and undergrad bars are located within this area. The majority of reported crime in the campus area also occurs within this vicinity.

Living North of Green Street (but South of Springfield Ave.) is manageable but would not be the most desirable place for someone looking to stay away from undergrads.

The area North of Springfield Avenue but South of University Avenue is a great, cheap place (many quality 1 bedroom and studios in this area range from $350 - $500) to live. The area surrounds the Northern part of the engineering campus and is relatively quiet because most undergrads don't like living 4 blocks North of all the action going on by Green Street and seem to have a very skewed concept of what constitutes "far." Another plus for this area is the close proximity to County Market, which is the only decent grocery store within the campus area.

Urbana

Urbana is also a great place to live that is well within walking distance to the Law School. Crossing Lincoln Avenue to the East is like going from night to day. Urbana is very quiet area with several brick streets, ample green space, has a much lower crime rate than Champaign and a lot of older dwellings. Living in Urbana tends to be more expensive than Champaign for several of the qualities mentioned in the previous sentence.

My comments for the area North of Springfield Avenue but South of University Avenue in Urbana are roughly the same as my Champaign comments, however, it would take a little longer to get to the Law School from there and its not as close to County Market, but it's not that far either.

Urbana-Champaign Transportation for those W/O a Car

Both cities are very bike friendly, with lots of bike lanes, bike paths, bike shops, etc. The area also has one of the best public transit systems for twin cities of their size. CUMTD, which runs the transit system, is largely subsidized by the University and supplies ample bus routes that run regularly to all sorts of locations on and off campus. There is no bus stop at the Law Building, but there are many within a block (especially around the Activities and Recreation Center, the ARC). And, when all else fails, walking is generally not a problem.

Other

I did not address living South of the Law School because there is almost nothing, aside from the University's livestock and farm land, and definitely no places to live within walking distance.

Urbana has a Tenant Bill of Rights and provides a lot more protection for those renting than Champaign does.

The University is also one of the last Big Ten schools that still has a Tenant Union for students, they are really helpful and offer a lot of assistance to grad students unfamiliar with the campus who are looking for housing (http://www.tenantunion.uiuc.edu/).

Of the larger landlords, the only one with a really good reputation (= no complaints to the Tenant Union in 40+ years) is Roland Realty, however, living in their apartments or houses tends to be very expensive.

Campus Property Management and the University Group are cheap but have sub-par reputations for a reason.

There are a lot of great smaller landlords, they just require more research to discover.

Hope this helps OP and anyone else unfamiliar with the area.

This is extremely useful information. Would you hate doing a quick revamp of this information for those of us who plan on having a car with us and wouldn't mind living farther away from school?

Living with a car isn't all that different. To be honest, you don't use your car much. Groceries, Wal-mart, errands, whatever, but otherwise it's unnecessary. Plus, all those major stores and markets are north of the highway and while there are some sub-divisions up there, I don't know of anyone living there.

About a quarter of the class lives in either The Village or Indigo Place out in Savoy. That might be nice if you have a car. The great thing about these places is that they are spacious as hell. All townhomes. Relatively cheap, weird but luxurious clubhouses, pools, lakes, running trails, etc. They try to include all the amenities imaginable [...because they are so far away they more or less have to]. They have shuttles, but I have been told they slow down or even stop all together when night comes. These places are very doable if you have a car, but you have to remember that if you want to go to Darts League or hit up the bars in Champaign or Urbana, getting to and from can be a hassle. Everyone I know who lives in these sub-divisions has said at some point, "I would go.... but it's so far away."

Living along Springfield Avenue, either in Champaign or Urbana, is a good choice. There are a lot of major bus lines and even with a car, you'll want to be taking the bus. Parking is $1/hr at the law school and I racked up $120 in tickets last semester. Whoops! Anyways- Springfield is a major avenue here so many grocery stores and businesses are nearby. It's also more removed from the chaos of undergrad/campus town.

Living along Lincoln Avenue or west of Lincoln, in Urbana, is also a good bet. Another major road, many businesses and bus lines. Free on-street parking for most of Urbana too!

Most places charge these exorbitant fees for parking. I pay $60/month for my parking spot currently and I hate myself for it. I'm living in Urbana next year and I look forward to not throwing away $720/yr on parking.

I am intrigued about the townhomes. That sounds nice, do you have any other information you can give me to get started looking? Such as the name of the complexes or areas specifically?
Last edited by givemea170 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astrophysics

Postby astrophysics » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 pm

dreakol wrote:
astrophysics wrote: I am a 1L at UIUC and I don't know of anyone planning to transfer. I think people were incensed when the news broke, but are fairly apathetic now. Our job placement and Career Services remains superior to competitor schools and really, isn't that all we care about? Plus, the school itself is adamantly anti-transfer. PLUS, even attempting to transfer is truly a waste of time/money unless you're in the top 10%. Transferring law schools is a a fantasy many 1Ls and 0Ls hold on to when they don't get into the schools they want. In reality, it's a huge pain in the ass, you will likely be rejected, and on the off-chance you DO get in, you're sort of screwed re: law review, journals, trial team, etc. UIUC is a great school. There's little reason to leave, scandal or no scandal.

(dean pless)

Ha, I realize I must sound that way. I myself was planning to use UIUC as a stepping stone to better schools even before I moved here. Little did I know the school would win me over. And little did I know, transferring is a huge pain in the ass and unless you're into academia, there's little incentive. Those two things together=definitely not worth the hassle [for me anyways]

astrophysics

Postby astrophysics » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Here are some of the ones in Savoy:

http://villagecp.com/
http://www.indigo-place.com/
http://www.windsorwest.com/

And yes, they are as nice as they seem. Just far away from everything. I personally enjoy being able to walk to the grocery store or the coffee shop [... or the bars], but I realize that isn't important to everyone. Also, these places all have free parking. sigh*

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:36 pm

astrophysics wrote:Here are some of the ones in Savoy:

And yes, they are as nice as they seem. Just far away from everything. I personally enjoy being able to walk to the grocery store or the coffee shop [... or the bars], but I realize that isn't important to everyone. Also, these places all have free parking. sigh*

Maybe I'm antisocial but I like more quiet areas if I'm at home trying to relax/study. Loud/noise/social interaction can always happen at the bars! So those seem like a good place to start for someone like myself!

astrophysics

Postby astrophysics » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:43 pm

givemea170 wrote:

Maybe I'm antisocial but I like more quiet areas if I'm at home trying to relax/study. Loud/noise/social interaction can always happen at the bars! So those seem like a good place to start for someone like myself!

Also, you asked about move-in dates earlier:

I lived 13 hours away from Champaign and I too planned to move in early last summer. There's really no reason for it though. Nothing happens in a college town over the summer. It's [almost] guaranteed that wherever you life now is a more exciting place to spend your summer. Most leases begin in mid-August anyways. You won't need more than a week to acclimate. If that.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 pm

astrophysics wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

Also, you asked about move-in dates earlier:

I lived 13 hours away from Champaign and I too planned to move in early last summer. There's really no reason for it though. Nothing happens in a college town over the summer. It's [almost] guaranteed that wherever you life now is a more exciting place to spend your summer. Most leases begin in mid-August anyways. You won't need more than a week to acclimate. If that.

I live in Hickory, NC! :lol:

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 pm

givemea170 wrote:

QFT. I lived two blocks from the bars in undergrad. That was a mighty fun experience, but I'm looking for something else in law school. I don't need that kind of distraction in my every day life. I'd rather live in a comfortable, quiet place and go somewhere else for the partying. Can anyone comment on the cab service in Urbana-Champaign? Is it tough getting a cab back to Savoy?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Windworwest looks very very nice. Might have to get a 2 bed room/2 bath there.

Wart

Postby Wart » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 am

Last edited by Wart on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Wart wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Windworwest looks very very nice. Might have to get a 2 bed room/2 bath there.

Make sure your bed fits. The one thing that deterred me from living there is that the bedrooms are small and my king bed would have left very little room to even walk around.

Yeah, 11X13 isn't very big and I do have a king... on the other hand, a 2 bed room is barely more expensive than a 1 bed room so maybe I'll just sleep in one room and have everything else be in the other room.

anthropologieaddict

Postby anthropologieaddict » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Also a 1L at UIUC, I actually think quite a few people will transfer, though if it's more than other years is hard to say.

On the housing issue, I elected not to live at the village because I don't like being that far away from everything and managed to find a nice, very quiet, new building (only 3 years old) that has a washer/dryer, fully furnished etc for about 700. However, UIUC housing is incredibly competitive when you're dealing with the good properties and my building (all 140 units and the two buildings like it also with 140 units) were fully leased out in Feb for the fall.

Also, keep in mind at the village I've hear that they nickel and dime you for just about everything, from a redecorating fee to a monthly charge if you want to live "further away" from the train tracks where trains constantly go by and it is a mandatory honk zone them. Someone I know paid for this feature and you can still feel the apartment shake and the horn honk as the train goes by.

I'm not anti village or anything and I know plenty of people that are very happy there, but I wish I would have had all this information beforehand so I wouldn't have even considered living there at all instead of visiting it and ultimately deciding not to as I did.

On the parking issue, there are always plenty of meters as people mentioned, which can be convenient, especially if you just have one class and want to get in and out as you can find a space right by the building. There is a lot (E-24) which is next to the pretty awesome rec center called ARC which is about a 10 minute walk from the school which is convenient, especially if you plan on working out at all. That is where I park and i love it. It's $540/per year.

The shuttle lot is a good option for people also I guess, which was already mentioned. I didn't want to deal with the bus system at all and I wanted to be near the rec so that worked out for me.

littlepanda

Postby littlepanda » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:36 am

registered for the april 13 open house, planning to look at housing that weekend as well. hope to see some of you guys there.
Last edited by littlepanda on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm

I was held for further review on 1-9-12. I sent in a LOCI in January. I emailed them yesterday and requested a status update. According to their response, If I don't receive a final decision today, I will not receive one until the end of March. Does anyone know what time the office closes? Is it possible that I could still hear something? Circumstances are such that I believe I will unable to wait until the end of this month for a decision.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:55 am

Sorry if this has already been covered earlier in the thread:

Can any current UIUC law students comment on how OCI went this year? Were many employers present? Was it less/more/equal to last year?

tallgaloot

Postby tallgaloot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. UIUC was not one of my top picks, But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
1. I want to go to the BEST school possible.
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast (New York, PA, NJ, MD, Washington DC areas).
4. I want the school with the best track record/program in public interest.
5. I wouldn't mind a judicial clerkship after graduation.
6. I want to work hard and have a job soon after graduating.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program or Washington and Lee. I'm getting ready to pull UIUC out of consideration. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, Notre Dame and W&L both have offered me around a 1/2 ride. UIUC has offered me 15k.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:57 pm

tallgaloot wrote:CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

You want to be on the east coast.
You have more money to better schools on the east coast.

UIUC isn't right for you.

honeynutt

Postby honeynutt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:28 pm

tallgaloot wrote:Ok- I'm a little late to the party here. UIUC was not one of my top picks, But, I've been denied to most of my top choices at the moment and am trying to decide where to go. A few things to consider:
I'm specifically looking toward public interest law, at helping children and families in poverty as a child/poverty advocate. Whether this happens at a nonprofit, a government agency, or somewhere else has yet to be seen. I have no desire for "Big Law." Keep these things in mind:
1. I want to go to the BEST school possible.
2. Since making money is not my biggest concern, a school with a good LRAP would be a good fit.
3. If possible, I'd like to stay close to the east coast (NJ) as I have an ill mother. Would probably prefer to practice somewhere in the northeast (New York, PA, NJ, MD, Washington DC areas).
4. I want the school with the best track record/program in public interest.
5. I wouldn't mind a judicial clerkship after graduation.
6. I want to work hard and have a job soon after graduating.

At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards Notre Dame, as they seem to have a better public interest law program or Washington and Lee. I'm getting ready to pull UIUC out of consideration. CONVINCE ME I'M WRONG!

As far as tuition/scholarship, Notre Dame and W&L both have offered me around a 1/2 ride. UIUC has offered me 15k.

Honestly don't go to UIUC. I've spoken to a 1L who doesn't feel like their public interest is particularly strong. And if you want to be on the East Coast then central Illinois is probably too far.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:55 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:Sorry if this has already been covered earlier in the thread:

Can any current UIUC law students comment on how OCI went this year? Were many employers present? Was it less/more/equal to last year?

Midwest T25 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=161839

I don't remember the exact numbers, but there were a decent number of employers present. It was about equal to last year. Since we're a preselect school, those of us in the top 10ish percent with decent resumes and respectable cover letters got ~25 interviews while those outside the top 10ish percent were pretty much out of luck.

tallgaloot

Postby tallgaloot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:03 pm

honeynutt wrote:Honestly don't go to UIUC. I've spoken to a 1L who doesn't feel like their public interest is particularly strong. And if you want to be on the East Coast then central Illinois is probably too far.

This is what I've heard, I was just reaching out to see if there were any other opinions on the school that might sway me in this direction.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”